Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Digging that plate

Thanks that one has been passed between cars for a looong time. I also have:

S2000 with plate 2 SOON
Del Sol with plate NO VTEC
FIt with plate Z GERMNZ

I want to get a plate that says 2 LATE for the Fit and swap Z GERMNZ onto my Mini Countryman S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

FitS? More like Si!

I know why they gave the EP3 the lesser K20A3 engine but man just imagine if they hadn't reserved it for the RSX-S in the US.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

S2000 with plate 2 SOON
FIt with plate Z GERMNZ

I want to get a plate that says 2 LATE for the Fit and swap Z GERMNZ onto my Mini Countryman S.

I laughed at Z GERMNZ then and I’m laughing now.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I got a fiesta with A F0RD. I’m pretty proud of it

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm still happy with this one:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

S2000 with plate 2 SOON
FIt with plate Z GERMNZ

These are all v good. Also holy poo poo the Fit looks sick man. I am excited for Washington to actually print my new plate for my dumb 3 series wagon: WAGOON

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wolrah posted:

idgi

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

The basic science behind suck, squish, bang, blow.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 16, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Edward IV posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

The basic science behind suck, squish, bang, blow.

:aaaaa: loving hell, and I have two STEM degrees (in bioscience, so I learned ideal gas and promptly forgot it)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

FINALLY can share this conquest with the Hot Hatch (and also wagon) thread. I've been after this specific car for a month and a half now and had to call in a few favors from friends over in Japan and finally, finally got the dealership to agree to sell.
This is a 1997 Toyota Caldina GT-T ST210, a manual, AWD 3S-GTE-powered wagon, completely stock and unmolested. It shares platform with the GT-Four but at least on paper actually makes more power with its 4th gen 3S-GTE vs the GT-Four's 3rd gen (256 vs 242 hp). Lots of people have heard of the Stageas, the Mitsubishi VR4 wagons but not so many know of the Caldina GT-T. I like the GT-Four we have well enough but I feel that, but wagon, is better.
Not too certain on the build month for this (I think it might be September) so I do have to wait a bit before I can bring it into the USA proper. I can't wait.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The upholstery is what really does it for me. 10/10 on that wagon.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Holy gently caress that wagon owns, I had no idea it existed

Also 100% agree that upholstery is :krad:

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Good lord that wagon, it's so good.

wolrah posted:

But this resonates with me, I miss my FiST so drat much, please keep it forever! My biggest automotive regret was selling mine, I should probably just buy another even though they're terribly priced now.

Edit: forgot about this video I posted years ago that somehow has thousands of views now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rQ7o1hundQ

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 16, 2022

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

nitsuga posted:

The upholstery is what really does it for me. 10/10 on that wagon.

Late 90s Japanese fabric always had :krad: patterns on it.

I had the Nissan equivalent of that Caldina many years ago and it had this:

Great car BTW but totally ruined by the four speed auto - no manual option available on the Nissan

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
What octane are you FiST drivers using?

I’ve been using 87 for the last few months because *points to fuel costs but this week I swapped 93 in when I found it for a price cheap enough that I was willing to pay, and I was shocked by how much better everything felt like it was running.

I know the FiST changes its engine programming based on the fuel number, and that there’s apparently a 10-20 hp dyno difference between 87 and (I think?) 91, and all of Ford’s official marketing numbers were obtained running 93, but I didn’t think I’d actually be able to notice it.

Not only did the motor feel like it idled way smoother, but it just seemed to ‘spin’ faster under throttle, and make way more boost. It felt stronger merging and accelerating. Am I going crazy here? Is this just the aforementioned programming change?

I assume that when Consumer Reports talks about the “placebo effect of octane” they’re referring to people putting 93 in cars designed to take 87, and not something like this, right?

Obviously I’d never put the wrong kind of fuel in a car, and I have an E36 that won’t take anything lower than 89 Octane, but I was convinced that most of what people online were saying about 91 vs 93 vs 87 was bunk.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I only run 93. The engine is still efficient enough that it’s not killing my wallet, and Michigans gas prices are around $4.00/gal for 93. I’ve never ran lower octane since i bought it, so I can’t speak to the performance shift, but I’ve always considered premium to just be a cost of doing business. It’s much easier to fill this thing than it was to fill my 95 Deville with the 4.9L.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I only run 93. The engine is still efficient enough that it’s not killing my wallet, and Michigans gas prices are around $4.00/gal for 93. I’ve never ran lower octane since i bought it, so I can’t speak to the performance shift, but I’ve always considered premium to just be a cost of doing business. It’s much easier to fill this thing than it was to fill my 95 Deville with the 4.9L.

In MA right now it’s between $3.99-4.29 for 87 and $4.29-4.99 for 93, with 89/91 usually like 10-20 cents lower than 93.

According to various Fiesta ST forums you’re supposed to get better MPG on higher octane, some saying to the point where it cancels out most cost disparities.

but Ford forums also make VW/BMW/Honda forums look like a bunch of certified brain champions, probably because they’re full of guys who buy Fords :v:.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 16, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I assume that when Consumer Reports talks about the “placebo effect of octane” they’re referring to people putting 93 in cars designed to take 87, and not something like this, right?

Correct

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I try to never do less than 93 except one time the highest was 91 available in some tiny station in TN I think

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Obviously I’d never put the wrong kind of fuel in a car, and I have an E36 that won’t take anything lower than 89 Octane, but I was convinced that most of what people online were saying about 91 vs 93 vs 87 was bunk.

If the ECU detects knock it will retard the timing, so yeah, you’ll notice it feels perkier on the higher octane fuel it was designed to use.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

If the ECU detects knock it will retard the timing, so yeah, you’ll notice it feels perkier on the higher octane fuel it was designed to use.

“designed to use” implies something like my E36, which has a big sticker on the fuel cap telling you not to put lower than 89 in it

The owners manual that came with my FiST says it was designed to run on 87, but “higher performance may be obtained with higher octane fuel” (or something like that, it’s raining and I’m not about to go looking thru my car’s manual for the exact wording. But my point is that Ford isn’t exactly super clear about how the car’s behavior should relate to octane level)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Not sure 93 is even available in California :shrug:

Ok Comboomer posted:

“designed to use” implies something like my E36, which has a big sticker on the fuel cap telling you not to put lower than 89 in it

The owners manual that came with my FiST says it was designed to run on 87, but “higher performance may be obtained with higher octane fuel” (or something like that, it’s raining and I’m not about to go looking thru my car’s manual for the exact wording. But my point is that Ford isn’t exactly super clear about how the car’s behavior should relate to octane level)
Hyundai has something like that in the Kona N manual (...going by someone's picture, haven't looked myself). Like says it's fine with 87 then followed up with a bunch of language heavily suggesting you use 91.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You have been absolutely crushing it lately! How long do you tend to keep some of these unicorns before selling them on?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

God drat son.

I didn't make it out to my local C&C this weekend, but was looking through the pics and I missed a GT Four :(

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

I put 87 in my GTI because that's what it says inside the fuel cap.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
GTIs will pull timing for lower octane, but the ECU is made to pull timing fine. If you get higher octane gas though it will give you a bit more power. I have always used 92 octane which is all we sell as premium in Oregon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Thanks for the kind words about the Caldina, I'm unreasonably excited that I managed to snag it off that lot.

Enos Cabell posted:

You have been absolutely crushing it lately! How long do you tend to keep some of these unicorns before selling them on?

As long as it takes to prep them for sale, usually (tires, batteries, deep detail, whatever other maintenance needed). We do only as much as we can handle and chew through them maybe two at a time at the quickest. The Super Turbo we will keep for a bit longer since it's such a unique vehicle and we won't get the chance to have another one any time soon, if at all. It's similar to the other super odd hot hatch we had (that I don't think we've ever shared with this thread), our Daihatsu Mira RV-4:

It's a VW Golf Country but done to a GTI in spirit, and instead made by Daihatsu. Kei class so 660cc, turbo intercooled, 64 hp (the limit on keis), AWD, manual and the reddest seats ever. The pushbar up front is plastic, but the hood scoop is real. This is my wife's most favorite vehicle we've ever imported and also probably the rarest. Insanely little information is out there about these, I've only ever seen one other (in Canada) and absolutely never at auction since. Once we get the Super Turbo sorted we'll see if it can rekindle a similar feeling for her.

There have been remarkably few vehicles that we've connected with, that Mira and the short wheelbase Land Cruiser Prado that we still have and my flings with Diahatsu Ruggers. This Caldina GT-T is different as its a personal conquest with my full intention to keep, it's everything I like about the Celica GT-Four but without the baggage that name carries. It's super unique in the USA and lots of people simply don't know it exists which appeals to my vain attempts at exclusivity and is a wagon, the best configuration that a car can have.

opengl128 posted:

God drat son.

I didn't make it out to my local C&C this weekend, but was looking through the pics and I missed a GT Four :(

Actually saw another white Celica GT-Four with the short wing not a quarter mile from our warehouse where our own GT-Four was currently sitting, they didn't notice I was in a JDM Hilux but it did have its stock wheels!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I love that Caldina. I became familiar with them when I bought an MR2 with that engine swapped in. Apologies for what the MR2 community has done to those cars :-)

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Not just timing - my CTR refuses to boost above roughly 16 psi on 87. It seems to take bit after putting a bunch of 93 octane in to get back to full boost, but that might just be clearing the fuel system.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Rusty posted:

GTIs will pull timing for lower octane, but the ECU is made to pull timing fine. If you get higher octane gas though it will give you a bit more power. I have always used 92 octane which is all we sell as premium in Oregon.

The highest we can get in Canada most of the time is 91. If gas prices ever come back down I'll try it but for the time being I'm happy to have the option of only paying $1.70/L ($7.72/gal)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

prom candy posted:

The highest we can get in Canada most of the time is 91. If gas prices ever come back down I'll try it but for the time being I'm happy to have the option of only paying $1.70/L ($7.72/gal)
I was curious which gallons you meant but did the math and found imperial gallons...I think. That'd be $6.44 in US gallons if I'm doing the math right. Southern California prices are pushing up there in places but can still get under $6 here if I look enough.

drat different gallons, and octane rating calculations for that matter :argh:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

japtor posted:

I was curious which gallons you meant but did the math and found imperial gallons...I think. That'd be $6.44 in US gallons if I'm doing the math right. Southern California prices are pushing up there in places but can still get under $6 here if I look enough.

drat different gallons, and octane rating calculations for that matter :argh:

How did I not know there were different gallons

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

prom candy posted:

How did I not know there were different gallons
Cause it's dumb and confusing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

japtor posted:

Cause it's dumb and confusing.

America.txt

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Rhyno posted:

America.txt

More like :britain::hf::911:

Apparently, it looks like the US gallon used the same definition of the gallon (231 cu. in.) used in Britain and the colonies prior to American independence known as the wine gallon or Queen Anne's gallon and has stuck with it since.

Then in 1824, the British went and redefined it using the mass-volume relationship of water at an arbitrary atmospheric pressure and temperature. The 1824 definition is the volume of 10 pounds of distilled water weighed in air with brass weights with the barometer standing at 30 inches of mercury and at a temperature of 62 °F. This was updated in 1963 as the volume of 10 pounds of distilled water of density 0.998859 g/mL weighed in air of density 0.001217 g/mL against weights of density 8.136 g/mL.

If anything the Imperial gallon is more dumb and confusing. Granted, I guess you can blame that on the early metric system which used a similar mass-volume relationship of water and is what inspired the definition of the Imperial gallon. If anything, the US/wine/Queen Anne's gallon was ahead of its time for using the volume of an object of a specific size like the modern Liter is. The 231 cu. in. apparently comes from the volume of a cylinder 6 inches deep and 7 inches in diameter which would hold eight medieval merchant pounds of wine.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 18, 2022

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The real fun is when you combine it with the different octane ratings. Then you have people talking about something like 30 mpg on 95 vs others with 25 mpg on 91, with no one realizing they're referring to equivalent numbers.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

japtor posted:

The real fun is when you combine it with the different octane ratings. Then you have people talking about something like 30 mpg on 95 vs others with 25 mpg on 91, with no one realizing they're referring to equivalent numbers.

Yup. "Cars in Europe are so efficient in comparison!"

I mean yes, but not as much as you think.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
For the longest time, I thought the reason American cars had such low specific outputs was that you had third-world quality gas what with your low octane ratings.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
specific output is like a top tier stupid metric and it only really matters because of weird displacement taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
190hp out of an 8.2L engine is also top tier stupid. My point was I was stupid and didn't know the difference between different octane ratings.