Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tobu posted:

It has been a long time since I visited the forums but drat I missed AI the most.

2018 i30N in Clean Slate. 32k on it from new and one of the first from the factory. Even has a little engraved plaque with my name on it on the glovebox.

For those with long memories and scary memories I took it down the same dirt track I wrecked my R34 on last weekend and it fared much better

I fuckin love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

angryrobots posted:

That's an interesting color

Looks like the same color they market the Veloster N with. I like it.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

MunchE posted:

I would buy the gently caress out of an i30N. We just get the Veloster here in the states :(

we do get it here, it's rebadged as the elantra gt, I don't think it has the hottest engine though, just the 200hp 1.6, not the 275hp found in the N.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can get the Elantra 5-door hatch and you can get N but you can't get the Elantra 5 door hatch with the N.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

angryrobots posted:

That's an interesting color

I love the colour! It is called Clean Slate. Rumour is that its a rip of Mclarens Baby Blue and old guys at a track day joked that Hyundai was cheaping out and just putting a blue tint in the primer. The colours was discontinued after the first year.

wolrah posted:

Looks like the same color they market the Veloster N with. I like it.

Ahh, but it isn't! N's signature colour is Performance Blue and they are quite different side to side. My neighbor, and everyone else it seems, has one in PB.

Skipopatomus posted:

we do get it here, it's rebadged as the elantra gt, I don't think it has the hottest engine though, just the 200hp 1.6, not the 275hp found in the N.

The N is so much more than just the hot engine. They really went hard and put a lot of thought to the performance parts... The e-lsd is some kind of magic and it just loving hooks, electrically controlled dampers and some rev matching to make me look like I know how to heel-two like a god. This video is long but it has a good break-down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V27L3yPDtpU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So just out of curiosity, what would be a decent hot hatch/GTI community with minimal sperging/elitism if this place were to, oh I don’t know, disappear suddenly?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hey Elephanthead if you're still here (or anyone else with Matrix XRS/Vibe GT/Corolla XRS) want my full set of factory service manuals and box of assorted parts before I try eBay?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Warbird posted:

So just out of curiosity, what would be a decent hot hatch/GTI community with minimal sperging/elitism if this place were to, oh I don’t know, disappear suddenly?

mk7
vwvortex

are probably your best bets.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Warbird posted:

If you use Facebook, the VW MK7 Golf - GTI - R - MQB group is pretty chill.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can get the Elantra 5-door hatch and you can get N but you can't get the Elantra 5 door hatch with the N.

Bingo. I know about the Elantra but I want the hot hatch one, not the regular rear end one.

Warbird posted:

All the Focus ST/RS groups I've found are full of d-bags, soooo

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Was the Mk 7 GTI available with a pano roof in the US? Is it rattly and unreliable?

Any guidance on Mk 7 ownership without a warranty? Not sure if I should do that or wait for a Mk 8, although I’m guessing that will have plenty of bugaboos out of the gate.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

blk posted:

Was the Mk 7 GTI available with a pano roof in the US? Is it rattly and unreliable?

Any guidance on Mk 7 ownership without a warranty? Not sure if I should do that or wait for a Mk 8, although I’m guessing that will have plenty of bugaboos out of the gate.

I owned a MK7 GTI for two years with the sunroof option. It rattled but other than that, was fine in my period of ownership.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

albear posted:

I owned a MK7 GTI for two years with the sunroof option. It rattled but other than that, was fine in my period of ownership.

Having owned a Mk 7 GTI for about a year, I used the sunroof circuit to send power-on signal to my sub-woofer, never having opened the sunroof the entire time I owned it, and it never rattled. That is my MK7 story.

They can look really good though:

Replaced my '14 FiST with that Mk 7 and deeply regret it, however, I also regret ditching my Mk 7 for an S3. I'm in a current gen Civic Si now and if Honda had put this drive-train in the non-R hatch it would have been a no-brainer for me.

albear posted:

If you use Facebook, the VW MK7 Golf - GTI - R - MQB group is pretty chill.

Agreed here, most of the people there were decent folk but that changes frequently. The Mk7 forums were good as well, VWVortex less so but still good for some info.

My current ride is a hatch if you squint your eyes hard enough and pretend, please don't kick me out of the thread!

The FiST that got away.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Just ordered a Dizzy custom tune for my completely stock Fiesta. Would have liked to have gotten at least an intercooler before doing this but I just got out of warranty and the 4th of july sale was too good to pass up. Super pumped.

I can’t wait to continue to get smoked by camrys at stop lights.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
finally hit 30k right at the 3 year mark on my gti, time to service the VAQ differential.

might just have the dealership do it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

finally hit 30k right at the 3 year mark on my gti, time to service the VAQ differential.

I did mine at like 24k because I never drive now. 2017 with 25k. I had an indie shop do it and they hadn’t heard of it, so expect the dealer to be confused too.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

It's not very expensive at the dealer. I want to say 150-200?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BraveUlysses posted:

This is the first I’m hearing anything about this. I hit 50k recently and it hasn’t been touched afaik.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BraveUlysses posted:

Jesus, we're just about to hit 100k on our not-quite 4 year old Macan.

Only 20k more miles until the 3rd PDK service!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Jesus, we're just about to hit 100k on our not-quite 4 year old Macan.

Only 20k more miles until the 3rd PDK service!

the most ive done in a year was...32k i think? awful to think how much time i spent driving when i was 23

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve got 3.5 years on my GTI and 25k now. I kinda miss driving sometimes. Sometimes.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

quote:

VAQ stands for Vorderachsquersperre.
That clears it up :)

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
FINALLY: the 2021 Mazda 3 hatch will have a turbo offering and standard AWD. 250hp / 320lb-ft tq. Auto transmission only though.

Will be watching this one closely as I have been interested in a 3 but wanted more power.

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2021-mazda3-turbo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mazda's 6AT is pretty good, for an automatic.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Styles Bitchley posted:

FINALLY: the 2021 Mazda 3 hatch will have a turbo offering and standard AWD. 250hp / 320lb-ft tq. Auto transmission only though.

Will be watching this one closely as I have been interested in a 3 but wanted more power.

Seems like it'll be Mazda's take on the WRX? Powerful but not super sporty/aggro on the regular WRX. Either way getting Mazda handling with actually good HP would be a win. I suspect it'll end up being a bit pricey for the segment though which may drive people away.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Styles Bitchley posted:

I want to want this but I feel like it's going to be pretty expensive.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Seems weird to put in a 2.5 liter engine with a turbo and only get 250 HP. I bet the pricing on this will put it with the Golf R and STI, the former has close to 300 HP from a 2 liter and also a DCT or manual.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mazda builds light cars, perhaps they don't need the same power to get the performance numbers out of it compared to the other 3400lb+ cars. Auto only tells me it probably has no cool diffs, so it probably doesn't intend to compare to the R and STI.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Yeah I'm ready for some sticker shock. I remember looking at some CX-5 Turbos last year for the wife and they were basically in another price segment.

GTIs have gone up a bit and Golf Rs are both hard to find and ridiculously high around here so options are good.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Rusty posted:

Seems weird to put in a 2.5 liter engine with a turbo and only get 250 HP. I bet the pricing on this will put it with the Golf R and STI, the former has close to 300 HP from a 2 liter and also a DCT or manual.

When the 2.5 turbo engine first came out (in the CX-9 iirc) they made a big deal out of how it was designed for torque. I doubt they've changed anything mechanically, just tweaked engine mapping a bit

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Doesn’t seem like they are going to revive the MazdaSpeed name with it though :/

Ironically I’m ready to get rid of my 2014 Mazda3 2.5L hatch. There is nothing actually wrong with the car and it’s a great sensible daily, but I bought it used a couple years ago and didn’t have the time to try and find a stick. I hate not having a stick and even though I live in a highly congested area even in normal times my commute is short and opposite most traffic. My first car was a mk5 GTI and it got me hooked. Really I regret being ‘sensible’ when shopping this car and not just pulling the trigger on a new st3 focus st for like $26k or stretching way out to an RS that foresight would have told me I could probably make work. So instead now I want to do something real dumb and source as clean as possible mk4 R32 so that all the molesting of it by replacing suspension and other dumb poo poo can be done by myself. I was kind of hoping to be able to watch the market on cars slowly fall during covid but it seems like more enthusiast types are holding value.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'm in the opposite situation - have a manual 2.5 3 which I need to get rid of because my partner is driving it more than me and she doesn't cope with it very well

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Okay long shot post here to see if any of y'all are Mk7/7.5 GTI or R owners in the PNW. (I tried the MQB Facebook group and VWVortex)

I'm in Portland and got some extra GTI/R parts that I wanna give away:

2 sets of cloth floor mats
1 VW CarGo tray plus plastic dividers
2 sets of OEM side mirrors (non-BSM)
1 set of OEM GTI rear headrests
1 OEM skid plate from a GTI

They have been sitting around for months and months and I just need em gone. Grab em and sell em if you must. Either way, if you're interested, let me know.

albear fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 9, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Crosspost from the new car thread.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

albear posted:

Okay long shot post here to see if any of y'all are GTI or R owners in the PNW. (I tried the MQB Facebook group and VWVortex)

I'm in Portland and got some extra GTI/R parts that I wanna give away:

2 sets of cloth floor mats
1 VW CarGo tray plus plastic dividers
2 sets of OEM side mirrors (non-BSM)
1 set of OEM GTI rear headrests
1 OEM skid plate from a GTI

They have been sitting around for months and months and I just need em gone. Grab em and sell em if you must. Either way, if you're interested, let me know.

You might want to put what generation these are for.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Got my pilot sports installed. Now to find a big, empty parking lot.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You might want to put what generation these are for.

Good call, I thought MQB might have been clearer about that but I've edited it.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Styles Bitchley posted:

Interest level rising! I will check this car out for sure when it is out! C/D says no handling upgrades, just mo power. How does the 3 handle already? Sounds more like a luxury model than a performance based hot hatch.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 10, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Crosspost from the new car thread.

Another cool car the US will never see:freep:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Radiohead71 posted:

Interest level rising! I will check this car out for sure when it is out! C/D says no handling upgrades, just mo power. How does the 3 handle already? Sounds more like a luxury model than a performance based hot hatch.

My 2014, which is the prior gen, felt sort of squishy to me stock but I was coming from a GTI on coil overs. I replaced the suspension and it’s much better to me after :) For what it’s worth though, Mazda’s handling tends to be at better end of the spectrum for non performance cars.