Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Radiohead71 posted:

Interest level rising! I will check this car out for sure when it is out! C/D says no handling upgrades, just mo power. How does the 3 handle already? Sounds more like a luxury model than a performance based hot hatch.

GF has a 2017 Mazda 3 and it's got a pretty sporty suspension feel without being stiff. It's obviously nowhere near my Focus ST but I feel like with a good set of tires it'd be fun around the corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Crosspost from the new car thread.

I really like this. I like the bronze theme that SEAT have been doing lately.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

blk posted:

Was the Mk 7 GTI available with a pano roof in the US? Is it rattly and unreliable?

I've had my 2017 for just a hair over three years. Have had zero issues with the sunroof. No rattles or anything. Only thing bad that happened was when I had it fully open one day a bird shat down the back of my passenger seat. Fortunately the leather cleans up easy.

They can be leaky if the drain tubes get clogged. I've seen posts about locating the ends of those and cutting the tips off because they are supposed to keep stuff from getting clogged from underneath, but instead trap pollen and poo poo that gets rinsed through the top end instead.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

So I have a Fiesta ST, and I'm about to pay it off and be out of warranty. Logically, this has made me interested in modifying it in non-dealer-endorsed ways.

I've already added basic stuff like a catch can and a stiffer roll arrester, now I am considering getting an accessport and running a tune.

My concern is that the number one thing I love about the FiST is that all its power is manageable despite it being FWD. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for power I can't use because of lost grip and obnoxious torque steer.

If any of you have, or have driven a car with a tune, not necessarily a full custom E30 madness job does it ruin the "dailyability" of the FiST?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
it is the single best mod you can do to the fist without taking off or putting on parts.

do a 93 octane (or 91 if you cant get 93) tune and if you like the off the rack one spring for a remote or dyno tune.

its still quite manageable, you arent immediately going to start spinning the tires (unless you drive like an idiot)

I dd a cobb stage 2 93 tune off the rack for 2 years before springing for a custom tune.

e: iirc the off the rack stage 2 tune did something like 201-204 ish HP but butt dyno could definitely notice the difference

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 18, 2020

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Gangringo posted:

So I have a Fiesta ST, and I'm about to pay it off and be out of warranty. Logically, this has made me interested in modifying it in non-dealer-endorsed ways.

I've already added basic stuff like a catch can and a stiffer roll arrester, now I am considering getting an accessport and running a tune.

My concern is that the number one thing I love about the FiST is that all its power is manageable despite it being FWD. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for power I can't use because of lost grip and obnoxious torque steer.

If any of you have, or have driven a car with a tune, not necessarily a full custom E30 madness job does it ruin the "dailyability" of the FiST?

Throttle control is a thing, so even with a tune the car should still be manageable if you're not just mashing the throttle everywhere.

Having a Euro-spec car (Australia), I am currently running a so-called Stage 1+ tune with some supporting mods such as an intake and larger intercooler. This really woke the car up and was absolutely worth it. When I have the disposable income, I plan to go a high flow cat and then get the next level of tune which doesn't gain a huge amount of power or torque, but does apparently have much better/more refined throttle response.

Do it. If you live anywhere it gets warm I'd get a larger intercooler too, personally.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I live in FL, but i dont track the car and my temps have always been ok (i mean i speed, but im not just hammering the thing) only thing partswise i did for stage 1 was swap out the air filter for a high flow one and for the "stage 2" its just a high flow intake which is like maybe an hour or 2 of wrenching without having to jack the car up. havent had any issues with the car since i bought it except the blend door actuator which seems common.

e: oh and the velossatech intake snorkel which isnt really required i just liked how it looked.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Gangringo posted:

I have the Focus ST not the Fiesta, but on that motor at least the tune isn't so much about peak power as it is mid range. You come into full boost much quicker and earlier so you really feel it in the midrange and it makes it very much worthwhile. It's also incredibly easy to install and uninstall and you can resell the AP pretty easily.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

MunchE posted:

I have the Focus ST not the Fiesta, but on that motor at least the tune isn't so much about peak power as it is mid range. You come into full boost much quicker and earlier so you really feel it in the midrange and it makes it very much worthwhile. It's also incredibly easy to install and uninstall and you can resell the AP pretty easily.

The big thing on the FiST (maybe the FoST too, I'm not sure) is that they are torque limited in 1st and 2nd gears to avoid blowing the tyres off, and most if not all OTS tunes remove (or greatly reduce) this limitation.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It definitely seems that way on my FoST. 3rd gear it pulls way harder.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The big thing on the FiST (maybe the FoST too, I'm not sure) is that they are torque limited in 1st and 2nd gears to avoid blowing the tyres off, and most if not all OTS tunes remove (or greatly reduce) this limitation.

My MS3 does this too, it turns off the turbo entirely in 1st and limits it to 50% boost in 2nd. I'm surprised the FoST does this because it's supposed to have fancy torque vectoring to prevent traction issues.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

MunchE posted:

Is LSPI / lugging a major concern for this? The turbo might be well able to dump a ton of boost at 1800rpm, but would it do bad things to the motor to do it regularly?

In other news, I couldn't find and MazdaSpeed 3s or WRX hatchbacks on dealer lots so I got a civic hatch. Haven't seen these much in the thread, but it seems like a pretty decent car. Picked it up yesterday, already ordered smaller 18" wheels with some quieter tires (PS4S).

Trying to figure out what to do for winter tires, as this is my first fast-ish car. Seems like most winter tires are focused mostly on snow/ice, but winter here is mostly just cool and wet.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

My MS3 does this too, it turns off the turbo entirely in 1st and limits it to 50% boost in 2nd. I'm surprised the FoST does this because it's supposed to have fancy torque vectoring to prevent traction issues.

Nothing fancy about it, it just brakes the spinning wheel, assuming it’s the same as the FiST. Would have been better if they’d done it properly and put an ATB diff in there.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

MarsellusWallace posted:

Is LSPI / lugging a major concern for this? The turbo might be well able to dump a ton of boost at 1800rpm, but would it do bad things to the motor to do it regularly?

In other news, I couldn't find and MazdaSpeed 3s or WRX hatchbacks on dealer lots so I got a civic hatch. Haven't seen these much in the thread, but it seems like a pretty decent car. Picked it up yesterday, already ordered smaller 18" wheels with some quieter tires (PS4S).

Trying to figure out what to do for winter tires, as this is my first fast-ish car. Seems like most winter tires are focused mostly on snow/ice, but winter here is mostly just cool and wet.

Tire seasons are generally based on the acceptable temperature the compounds will tolerate and not necessarily on tread pattern, though that does factor into it.

Take whatever temps your winter regularly gets down to and let that determine what kind of tire you're looking for.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarsellusWallace posted:

Nice. One suggestion is to replace the shift knob with a leather wrapped one; the aluminum will be instant second degree burn in the summer sun.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MarsellusWallace posted:

Performance winters are what you'll probably want. They can handle snow alright and are a lot more robust than a dedicated snow tire.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Neo_Crimson posted:

There's still only so much traction available. Electronic or mechanical systems can help you make better use of the traction you have, but that total is still determined by the rubber, the road, and anything that might be between them.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Midjack posted:

Nice. One suggestion is to replace the shift knob with a leather wrapped one; the aluminum will be instant second degree burn in the summer sun.

Or just keep a sock in your car.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Not a hot hatch, but what do you all think about that new mid engine Corvette?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Warbird posted:

I think its rad and anything that gets boomers' jorts bunched up a is a good thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The wife has been jonesing for one those Audi A6 wagons and this thing is cheaper than them be a solid 5k which blows my mind.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Warbird posted:

Lacks a pedal

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
PRESTO-CHANGO!

Had a kid, the ST was not going to cut it space-wise for family trips/camping, so eventual plan is trade the 2 door truck for a 4 door family hauler truck. That plan, combined with getting out of street motorcycles, I was able to roll those fun bucks into some four wheel adrenaline.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that's a good trick

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah do it again but with my Miata this time.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sipher posted:

PRESTO-CHANGO!

Had a kid, the ST was not going to cut it space-wise for family trips/camping, so eventual plan is trade the 2 door truck for a 4 door family hauler truck. That plan, combined with getting out of street motorcycles, I was able to roll those fun bucks into some four wheel adrenaline.

:science:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

God drat that's a cool trick

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

*looks at the turbo diesel Focus in my garage*

Hmmm

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Awwww yes, more FoRS owners up in here! First thing you should do is get an AccessPort and a professional tune. Makes the car a completely different animal, and let’s you do fun things like e30 tunes, flat foot shifting, and automatic launch control.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

automatic launch control.

Why do you hate your clutch?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Speaking of tunes, what's the current hivemind opinion on Fiesta ST tunes? For the USDM car, not the fancy new one.

I'm currently unmodified from an engine standpoint other than the standard drop-in Green air filter. I don't think I'll ever get in to big turbos, alternate fuels, etc. so I'm just looking for a "Stage 1" for now and maybe "Stage 2" down the line if I ever find an exhaust I can stand on the highway. I would like to get a RMM as well so the package kits offered by a number of tuners have some appeal, but if it's worth mixing and matching I'm not against it.

Back when I had a warranty I always figured I'd start with the Mountune package because I figured if they're responsible for the warranty-safe package then it seemed like a safe bet that their standard stage 1 package would be safe too, just maybe not as lawyer friendly as the one they sell through Ford. That said at this point it seems like these motors are pretty much invincible to any reasonable level of tuning that can be done with the stock turbo+fuel system so I just don't care anymore. I've heard a lot of good about Stratified but don't really know enough to judge.

My inner child loves the idea of a crackle tune, but I also don't want to be "that guy" when I'm coming through my neighborhood getting home at 1 AM. Has anyone figured out a way to make that a toggleable feature or is it still something you're stuck with unless you want to fully reflash? Is there even a point in thinking about that with a full stock exhaust? I've heard some people say it murders the cat, but then again the FoRS has it factory, so I don't really know what to think.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Test drove a Veloster N yesterday, think I might pull the trigger on one.

I started my car search assuming that a new WRX was a no-brainer but it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be and has some annoying quirks. Then I determined the Golf R was the perfect car and was willing to go up to the $40k for one, but there weren't any manuals within hundreds of miles of me and over the past few months they've all sold out. The MK8 is tempting but it's a long wait.

My biggest worry with the Veloster was that it would feel like a shitbox inside and honestly I feel like those complaints are overblown, as long as you're expecting an economy car level interior. I didn't think the WRX interior was that much nicer. The biggest problem is the cheapness of the materials themselves, i.e. a lot of hard plastic, but I found the actual fit and finish to be solid. Definitely seems nicer than a lot of domestic economy interiors.

As expected, it's a hoot to drive. I'd been considering giving up my search for a real driver's car in manual and just getting something fast and nice and automatic like a used S4 and I realize those cars are in a completely different category, but this kinda confirmed for me that I value fun more than luxury or stats. And it's a brand new car that I can get for under $30k with a 10 year warranty, whereas I would probably pay closer to $40k for a questionably used German car that might not even be as fun in the corners.

A new Miata is the only thing I think I could afford and also have as much fun with, but I just don't think I can do a roadster as my only car.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

wolrah posted:

Speaking of tunes, what's the current hivemind opinion on Fiesta ST tunes? For the USDM car, not the fancy new one.

I'm currently unmodified from an engine standpoint other than the standard drop-in Green air filter. I don't think I'll ever get in to big turbos, alternate fuels, etc. so I'm just looking for a "Stage 1" for now and maybe "Stage 2" down the line if I ever find an exhaust I can stand on the highway. I would like to get a RMM as well so the package kits offered by a number of tuners have some appeal, but if it's worth mixing and matching I'm not against it.

Back when I had a warranty I always figured I'd start with the Mountune package because I figured if they're responsible for the warranty-safe package then it seemed like a safe bet that their standard stage 1 package would be safe too, just maybe not as lawyer friendly as the one they sell through Ford. That said at this point it seems like these motors are pretty much invincible to any reasonable level of tuning that can be done with the stock turbo+fuel system so I just don't care anymore. I've heard a lot of good about Stratified but don't really know enough to judge.

My inner child loves the idea of a crackle tune, but I also don't want to be "that guy" when I'm coming through my neighborhood getting home at 1 AM. Has anyone figured out a way to make that a toggleable feature or is it still something you're stuck with unless you want to fully reflash? Is there even a point in thinking about that with a full stock exhaust? I've heard some people say it murders the cat, but then again the FoRS has it factory, so I don't really know what to think.

Disclaimer, on a Focus ST not a Fiesta. But I did the Cobb "stage 1" kit and was very happy with it. The tune really wakes the car up quite a bit. The Mountune one is the same thing, except it has their own branded version of the AccessPort and you can only use it to ever install that one tune vs. getting new ones. Stratified seems to be slightly more aggressive and they have "crackle" tunes and the like but anecdotally I feel like a lot more of those guys start complaining about legitimate engine problems like misfires than the guys who keep it mild, but that could be the driver not the parts.

Also FWIW on the Focus at least, Stage 2 doesn't require exhaust (intercooler and intake) and stage 3 which replaces the downpipe and catback nets you a whopping 5hp for $2000. Looks like the Fiesta stage setup is similar but I haven't looked up the dyno charts to see what you lose keeping the exhaust stock.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KillHour posted:

Why do you hate your clutch?

YOU DON’T KNOW ME!

Lol for real though I can use less than all my fingers to count the number of times I’ve used Launch Control in my car. My tuner enabled Launch Control to be automatically engaged if the car is at a complete stop, it’s in 1st gear, and you have to mat the gas pedal for it to turn on. But then it engages and holds the engine at 4700 RPM until you either drop the clutch or take your foot of the gas. No more digging through 3 layers of menus to enable it. My car sounds like a goddamn WRC car when you do it too. The last time I used it was to embarrass a new Type R that apparently didn’t get the memo about the RS having more power from the factory (and that’s before I tuned it for e30).

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Ror posted:

Test drove a Veloster N yesterday, think I might pull the trigger on one.

I started my car search assuming that a new WRX was a no-brainer but it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be and has some annoying quirks. Then I determined the Golf R was the perfect car and was willing to go up to the $40k for one, but there weren't any manuals within hundreds of miles of me and over the past few months they've all sold out. The MK8 is tempting but it's a long wait.

My biggest worry with the Veloster was that it would feel like a shitbox inside and honestly I feel like those complaints are overblown, as long as you're expecting an economy car level interior. I didn't think the WRX interior was that much nicer. The biggest problem is the cheapness of the materials themselves, i.e. a lot of hard plastic, but I found the actual fit and finish to be solid. Definitely seems nicer than a lot of domestic economy interiors.

As expected, it's a hoot to drive. I'd been considering giving up my search for a real driver's car in manual and just getting something fast and nice and automatic like a used S4 and I realize those cars are in a completely different category, but this kinda confirmed for me that I value fun more than luxury or stats. And it's a brand new car that I can get for under $30k with a 10 year warranty, whereas I would probably pay closer to $40k for a questionably used German car that might not even be as fun in the corners.

A new Miata is the only thing I think I could afford and also have as much fun with, but I just don't think I can do a roadster as my only car.

I was in your shoes a month ago. I wanted to test drive a Type R since its the most obvious Veloster N competitor, so I test drove a used one since dealers are a PITA about Type Rs. To me it felt just as fun, except with a " comfort" mode that made it far more livable than the N in its softest setting.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other, but try and test drive a Type R before you pull the trigger. I found it well worth the extra ten grand.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

the automatic golf r is faster :colbert:

looks nice too.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

wolrah posted:

I’m in the same boat as you, drop in filter and one step colder plugs. When I bought the car I was convinced I was going Stratified the second I got out of warranty. 3 years later I just got a custom tune from Dizzy as he had
a good 4th of July sale including the AP. It’s been a riot so far and I’m looking forward to the revisions, even if I don’t really have a ton of mods to support much more. However from what I’ve read the exhaust isn’t the biggest issue, it’s heat, so an intercooler is the next step for more aggressive tunes.

Everything I’ve seen says it’s hard to go wrong with the big names, but apparently with the volume stratified has now they can take awhile to respond/revise which made it an easy choice for me. Jason at Dizzy has been extremely responsive to my stupid questions within the same day and that’s a big deal for me.

I opted to skip the crackle/burble tunes as I heard the same thing about it being not great on the stock cats, but from my understanding you can turn them on/off, and with some (most?) tunes you can add these after the fact. 16 year old me would be so disappointed.

There’s definitely other people who have way more experience on this one but I’ve been happy so far and it really does wake the car up. I was excited to get rid of the torque limit in 1-2 and thought that’d be the best part of the tune, but the additional midrange punch in 3rd and 4th is by far the highlight for me.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 24, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was behind a green Fiesta on my way home this morning and he had a large #FiSTing sticker on his rear window and now I don't want one anymore.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Rhyno posted:

I was behind a green Fiesta on my way home this morning and he had a large #FiSTing sticker on his rear window and now I don't want one anymore.

I now desperately want a FiST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

The Hot Hatch Discussion Thread: VAG? I prefer my FiST.