Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

Why don't wheels come in brake dust color? WHY!?

They do. If you just quit cleaning your wheels long enough.

As for Hot Hatches, besides the Golf are there any other 2-door hatches sold in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dust went down considerably on my MS3 when I switched from the OEM front pads to Hawk HPS.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

As for Hot Hatches, besides the Golf are there any other 2-door hatches sold in the US?

The Veloster Turbo is a 3 door. Not counting the hatch. I'm serious.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

opengl128 posted:

Dust went down considerably on my MS3 when I switched from the OEM front pads to Hawk HPS.

If dusting went DOWN when you got HPS I shudder to think of what it must have been like before.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I stopped cleaning the wheels of my FoST and now they look bronze from far away.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sigma X posted:

If dusting went DOWN when you got HPS I shudder to think of what it must have been like before.

I had the same deal happen with my MS3. The OEM dust is pretty loving awful, but the HPS pads do give up a bit of initial bite.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Sigma X posted:

I currently own a bright yellow Porsche. I don't need : Anything that calls attention to me; anything designed to call attention to the model trim.

I can understand that. Ford's best "don't look at me" color is Magnetic which you can't get on the FiST unfortunately. It does come on the FoST and it looks great from the pictures I've seen.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

jediguy posted:

Are you kidding? That's outrageous pricing. And the reviews of the RS3 haven't been totally gushing either. Why the hell would you buy one over an A45...

It's $78900 + options + taxes + other Australian gouging. Realistically the options you'd want are:

• $6490 for tone of two "performance" packages: black wheels, wider front wheels and tyres, Audi magnetic ride, B&O sound system, carbon inlays, red brake calipers. I'd only want this for the magnetic ride and the upgraded stereo, neither of which cannot be optioned separately.
  • $1950 for an interior design package so that the interior is kinda different to a 1.6 TDI A3.
  • $1600 for an assistance package which includes adaptive cruise control, which I've come to love in the A45 and I don't want my next car to be without it.
  • $1450 for metallic paint.
  • $2535 for a panoramic sunroof. I love the panoramic roof in the A45.

Other options are a $1600 matt exterior styling package (which I could do without by would really like to have) and as yet unknown cost for the amazing RS bucket seats.

That's $14000-ish right there, likely to be $18000 by the time the RS bucket prices are known... turning a $78900 car into a $96900 car before taxes and a further $3000 for the dealer to pocket.

I just can't do it. I mean, I can, but there's a HUGE psychological barrier - the bits it has on top of the A45 (one more cylinder with 0.5L capacity, magnetic ride, epic seats) aren't worth $25000+ more to me.

The trouble is, there's not a whole lot out there at $100000. Any sub $100000 Cayman, M3, or C63 is going to be old, crashed, well used, a grey import, or a combination thereof. It's Alfa 4C territory but the 4C won't handle my driveway.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Mini Cooper

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Sat in a Fiesta ST today and the Recaro seats were definitely squeezing me at the sides. Do they flatten out to the point where even if you're noticeably too big for them they'll eventually conform, or would they likely always be that tight?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Sat in a Fiesta ST today and the Recaro seats were definitely squeezing me at the sides. Do they flatten out to the point where even if you're noticeably too big for them they'll eventually conform, or would they likely always be that tight?

I'm too wide for them, and I don't even notice them most of the time after the first month. Just finished a 1500'ish mile road trip over 4 days (including a day on the track in both Focus and Fiesta ST's) and I didn't have any problems with them.

I think it's because they are tall enough that the pressure is more from the side than pushing up into my legs, and they definitely 'break in' a bit with my fat rear end sitting in them all the time.

See if you can find a dealer that will let you take one for an extended test drive, and explain that the seats worry you. A dealer here tossed me the keys to a Focus ST, in ST2 trim at about 3pm, and said "We close today at 6, please be back before then". I took it for an hour drive and decided that the seats were fine for me.

E: I don't know if the Fiesta ST seats are identical to the Focus ST seats, and I have the Focus.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I did the ST octane academy today, and if you haven't gone you should really try to, it was awesome. Especially since Miller Motorsports park will have a strange uncertain future after October. Full write up coming.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Welp, the Nissan dealership wouldn't budge on the near 21k price of the used '14 Fiesta ST, and also wanted to add about 2k of bullshit extra charges :v:

It was optioned out but I'm pretty sure I could negotiate a brand-new '15 ST (stock options + navigation) that's been sitting on the local Ford lot for months for 19K or less.

Has anyone been able to get any good deals on year-end models of the car? I'm trying to find one for 18K or less before TTL.

Also for some reason now that I actually want to learn manual I have friends & family coming out of the woodwork telling me not to do it and stay with automatics and how much I'll hate driving a stick shift. It's like the anti-AI Gods are lining up telling me not to do it.

Ragnarok the Red fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 10, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Escape was getting an oil change the other day so I decided to walk around the lot and found a FoST.

No sunroof, but had recaros and a larger screen. Also had some ugly rear end 19s stuck on. Price? 32k. I laughed until I saw their EB Mustang for 39k :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Welp, the Nissan dealership wouldn't budge on the near 21k price of the used '14 Fiesta ST, and also wanted to add about 2k of bullshit extra charges :v:

It was optioned out but I'm pretty sure I could negotiate a brand-new '15 ST (stock options + navigation) that's been sitting on the local Ford lot for months for 19K or less.

Has anyone been able to get any good deals on year-end models of the car? I'm trying to find one for 18K or less before TTL.

Also for some reason now that I actually want to learn manual I have friends & family coming out of the woodwork telling me not to do it and stay with automatics and how much I'll hate driving a stick shift. It's like the anti-AI Gods are lining up telling me not to do it.

There's such a little markup on these cars you're not likely to find anyone going more than a couple hundred under 20k for a base model and that it's going to include incentives. Maybe a bit lower if you're ending a less because that's actually a pretty good incentive.

That being said, 21k for a used one is stupid.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here's 57 images from the ST Octane Academy, and the museum at Miller Motorsports park, which is packed full of GT40s and Shelby cobras. http://imgur.com/a/JGFgi

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

mad.radhu posted:

Here's 57 images from the ST Octane Academy, and the museum at Miller Motorsports park, which is packed full of GT40s and Shelby cobras. http://imgur.com/a/JGFgi

Holy poo poo does that look fun.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

mad.radhu posted:

So, how much does that cost?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

So, how much does that cost?

Nothing.

Admission is free if you go within one year of delivery date upon purchasing an ST ford vehicle.

edit: but Miller Motorsports park is entering an uncertain future as the lease isn't being renewed as of October 31st, so if you're going to go, go now.

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 11, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

Nothing.

Admission is free if you go within one year of delivery date upon purchasing an ST ford vehicle.

edit: but Miller Motorsports park is entering an uncertain future as the lease isn't being renewed as of October 31st, so if you're going to go, go now.

It appears the weather was completely poo poo for you! I was there on the 1st, and it was a beautiful sunny day, and the class only had 7 people, so it was pretty nice. I really should get all the pictures sorted out and up somewhere.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

It appears the weather was completely poo poo for you! I was there on the 1st, and it was a beautiful sunny day, and the class only had 7 people, so it was pretty nice. I really should get all the pictures sorted out and up somewhere.

It was pouring rain all day, and an absolute blast.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

It was pouring rain all day, and an absolute blast.

On the bright side, you probably didn't have to wait for the water truck!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

veedubfreak posted:

This is where you are mistaken. The 15 and 16 R are made exclusively in Germany. The MK7 is also considerably lighter and stiffer than the mk6. A fully spec'd out GTI is already 32-34k if you get the power pack, sunroof, dsg and autobahn.

I got base spec everything on it since it is a hot hatch :colbert: manual gearbox and no sunroof since having a sunroof is heavy and makes the roof less stiff. Oh the 90's called and wants their myths back, brb.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BigPaddy posted:

I got base spec everything on it since it is a hot hatch :colbert: manual gearbox and no sunroof since having a sunroof is heavy and makes the roof less stiff. Oh the 90's called and wants their myths back, brb.

Things I say about my poverty spec Audi A3

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

8ender posted:

Things I say about my poverty spec Audi A3

I have to special-order one to get a Recaro car WITHOUT Navigation and/or Moonroof. Why would I want to pay over a grand more for wheels i'm going to replace anyways, or navigation I'm going to ignore in favor of my phone's app, or floor mats that'll be thrown out in favor of Weathertech ones?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm seriously considering trading my fiance's car for a FiST and giving her my Crosstrek. No one near my area has one with the Recaro package though, so it sounds like I'd have to order one. How much negotiation room is there in that case? I've never ordered a car before so I'm curious about how that'd work.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

powderific posted:

I'm seriously considering trading my fiance's car for a FiST and giving her my Crosstrek. No one near my area has one with the Recaro package though, so it sounds like I'd have to order one. How much negotiation room is there in that case? I've never ordered a car before so I'm curious about how that'd work.

There's more wiggle room on a special order because they don't need to stock it and accounting reasons bs. That's what my dealer said, anyways.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
My brother wanted a new car and wanted something fun so I suggested he test GTI/FiST/FoST. He drove all and ended up buying a FiST! He got an ST3, and I'm kinda jealous cause I just have an ST1 Focus and his interior is killer

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

powderific posted:

At a Ford dealership at least, a special order is more or less the same as a car on the lot from a negotiation perspective. If anything you have fewer cards you can play when haggling, because you can't get them to give you a break for buying a car with options you don't want, nor can you claim they need to get rid of it (interest on the vehicle is negligible until it hits 200 days on the lot).

Additionally, the car does still count against the dealership's allocation. For something really hot, like say a 2015 Mustang, this can be a problem because its likely the dealership has more special and stock orders on it than the factory will send them. Special orders do get priority from the factory over stock orders, but if there's enough demand this can mean your car could be months from even getting built. I'm guessing a FiST shouldn't have too much of a problem there at this point, depending on the dealership.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Bought a 2014 Focus ST3 in November and I'm really enjoying it. MyFord Touch is poo poo, and I wish I could replace it with something aftermarket, but everything else about the car is good.

I'm considering the accelerator pedal mod and the short shifter plate. Seems there are a couple of companies offering these products, is there one I should pick over another?

I read about removing the rev hanging feature via tune up, this is my first entry into caring about a car's performance so would I take this to a private mechanic, or will the dealer shop handle it if I ask during my scheduled maintenance?

This is my first manual transmission car, though I learned on a manual when I was a teenager driving my parent's vehicle. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd is my most inconsistent shift. Also, I noticed sometimes that when I'm reversing out of my parking spot, and I push the clutch back in to go to neutral or 1st, the engine stutters a bit. Like, the RPMs drop slightly too far before the car goes back to a normal idle. Is that something to be concerned about or is it normal?

Bob A Feet, I wish I knew we were car twinkies before you left Corpus.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

I'm considering the accelerator pedal mod and the short shifter plate. Seems there are a couple of companies offering these products, is there one I should pick over another?

The FSwerks shift plate is the only one I know of that bolts from the top, which installs easier and makes more sense overall imo.

You'll love the shorter throw.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

The Ferret King posted:

I read about removing the rev hanging feature via tune up, this is my first entry into caring about a car's performance so would I take this to a private mechanic, or will the dealer shop handle it if I ask during my scheduled maintenance?

You would want to get a Cobb AP, Mountune MR300 or the calibration tool from Ford Racing. I don't think either should affect your warranty, but if you wanted to follow you warranty to the letter, I believe you would want to buy this one and have it installed by the dealership.

Honestly though, the 'off the shelf' Cobb maps are still pretty conservative and I haven't heard of anyone who has one having any problems with a warranty claim

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr.Caligari posted:

You would want to get a Cobb AP, Mountune MR300 or the calibration tool from Ford Racing. I don't think either should affect your warranty, but if you wanted to follow you warranty to the letter, I believe you would want to buy this one and have it installed by the dealership.

Honestly though, the 'off the shelf' Cobb maps are still pretty conservative and I haven't heard of anyone who has one having any problems with a warranty claim

They both affect warranty. If he gets the mountune installed by a Ford dealer the warranty will remain intact. If he does it himself or gets a non-Ford dealer to install it then Ford has a legit way to deny warranty claims related to the engine, since it is messing with the ECU. The rationale with honoring the warranty if it's done by someone at Ford is that they absolutely know that the map being loaded into the ECU is Ford approved.

Does the Mountune tune (that sounds stupid to say) have features like that? I thought it was strictly power/torque, rather than features like rev hang or launch control.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 18, 2015

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

Bought a 2014 Focus ST3 in November and I'm really enjoying it. MyFord Touch is poo poo, and I wish I could replace it with something aftermarket, but everything else about the car is good.

This is my first manual transmission car, though I learned on a manual when I was a teenager driving my parent's vehicle. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd is my most inconsistent shift. Also, I noticed sometimes that when I'm reversing out of my parking spot, and I push the clutch back in to go to neutral or 1st, the engine stutters a bit. Like, the RPMs drop slightly too far before the car goes back to a normal idle. Is that something to be concerned about or is it normal?

Bob A Feet, I wish I knew we were car twinkies before you left Corpus.

Someone is selling a short shift breedt plate on focusst.com

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Mcqueen posted:

Someone is selling a short shift breedt plate on focusst.com

Thanks, I was looking really closely at the Breedt shift arm. I've read some really positive things about it over the replacement plates from Cobb or FSwerks. Though it looks like he sold it pretty quickly today. I'll keep my eyes out for other offers.

The Breedt website still shows the 2 part kit (with the replacement shifter knob) as being available. Even though it says for 2013 Focus ST, it'll still work on the 2014 I presume? I didn't think there was any change under the hood between those years.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Mine does that too. It's annoying, but it's never stalled out from it. Hasn't been annoying enough to make me research it though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Just ordered up the Breedt short shift arm for my Focus ST. Also ordered metal bushings from Boomba. Looking forward to how this will change my shifting experience.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The Ferret King posted:

Just ordered up the Breedt short shift arm for my Focus ST. Also ordered metal bushings from Boomba. Looking forward to how this will change my shifting experience.

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cefC0DPlHFQ

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oh hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ordered a Depo 100cel DP today. Excited to see what Cobb AP stage 3 (and the eventual custom-ish tune) feels like.

Also wanting more grip and less bump steer...