Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

My friend with the regular 1.6 Fiesta just put the $250 Ford Racing suspension on the car (new struts and springs) and it is an absolute riot to drive!
And it isn't bad on these terrible AZ roads.

Still has quite a bit of roll, it could use bigger sways probably.

Here is a tip - our road quality here in Arizona is phenomenal compared to most of the rest of the country. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

Have you been outside of Phoenix? For one Tucson roads are utter poo poo! Especially monsoon season...
I've pretty much been everywhere in Arizona... never spent time in Tucson other than running Lemmon laps.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sappo569 posted:

And have driven plenty where there was no lockout, but you had to manhandle it way over past 1st gear, but we're talking Porsche and Ferrari here.
My 02 Mini-S was like this.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I finally bought one. Very happy with it :) 2016 GTI with the proper amount of pedals, base otherwise. As far as clutch feel, it is very light but I think the car heavily pulls throttle or something when you're trying to take off from a stop. It is easy to stall until you've done it a few times. I've driven a lot of cars and this was a new one for me. My daily commute is 5 miles of surface street, then 20mi of freeway - I've been averaging 30 during rush hour time and I somehow managed 37 on the way home last night when there was no traffic. Other than that, I've been beating on it.

Trip is equal to total miles on the car - 7.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 5, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Probably to change how air flows over the front of the car to help protect the windshield/hood.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fyodor posted:

"Ever since I rode a 200hp motorcycle what's the point of driving anything that tries to be quick"
This though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hoho.
<2500mi and the drat car has a DP that threw a CEL and a tuner going on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
JB1 went on the GTI today along with a little more aggressive map 6 setup. Car should be a little north of 300whp and weigh a little under 3000lb with a full tank. Not bad for a DD. Time to stop modding it, at least until its out of warranty and there are tunes for the Golf-R turbo swap - which is supposed to be good for north of 400hp.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They are basically worth nothing, the S50/S52 drops right in and E30/E28 LSDs bolt in.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GutBomb posted:

It depends on what you're bringing it in for. If it's an engine warranty related repair they are going to catch it. If it's maintenance they are likely not to even notice unless they try to flash your ECU and it fails.

That being said, why take it to the dealership for anything but warranty work?

Be careful, it seems as though VW is plugging cars into the computer every time it rolls in and if it has been flashed (even back to stock) they can tell. They can then flag a TD1 code and then your warranty becomes nebulous.

There are mod friendly dealers, yes, I haven't had experience with one but I do have a '16 GTI with a JB1 and DP so I figure it's a matter of time. No one has a tune for the '16 cars yet, also screw APR.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 11, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

are jb1s detectable?

what are the options?

Not if you unplug it before you take it in, which takes about five minutes.

The options are plugin unit or nothing for a 2016+ right now. I'm waiting for the IS38 swap to become more documented and an out of the box tune to be available. 400hp sounds pretty good to me - $1300 for the turbo and whatever for the tune. The JB is supposed to be able to support it soon, too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

i mean plugin unit wise/vw tuning in general:
plugin:
burgertuning
neuspeed

ecu program:
apr

BurgerTuning connects to more sensors and is more expandable down the line (there will be O2 sensor control soon). Neuspeed works.
APR works, but GIAC makes more power. Tunes will always make more than a plugin unit. Basically a plugin unit + dp = stage 1.5 tune. Stage 2 tune + dp makes a lot more up top over a plugin unit will.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

powderific posted:

I don't think the new gti's come with that poo poo standard either though. Definitely not the headlamps and leather anyway.

I have a new base GTI. No xenons (that's the $1k lighting package) or leather (I didn't want that, but I think it's the Autobahn package or something). MFD in cluster is stock, as is BT integration. Performance pack adds a LSD.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Riven posted:

Leather, premium audio and moonroof come in the SE mid-range package. Lighting package (inside accent lighting, swiveling xenons) is a package. That's what I have.

I'm pretty sure the LP is just the headlights. My base has the accent lighting and LED fogs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Stugazi posted:

Anyone have a GTI and a BMW X1?

I ask because while they are not direct competitors they are the two cars I'm considering for purchase. I can get a loaded '15 X1 for about the same price as the '16 GTI.

Hoping a goon may have both in a garage and could provide me some insight on the pro/cons of each as an owner.

Also, will the GTI take a big hit on resale due to the TDI scandal?

I had a X1 with the 2.8 as a loaner car for a while and own a GTI now. The fact that the X1 doesn't come in manual is a big point, that said the GTI is more sporty and picks up power cheaper. The X1 has a little more room and is comfier as a DD.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

Is it worth getting rid of? Honestly, it doesn't bother me so much other than it just seems like a great way to make your clutch wear faster. Also from some reading, VW was too cheap to beef up the clutch in the R and it has the same clutch as the GTI.

Don't waste your money on the ECS bleeder block. Take your stock one out, pull the clip in the top of the T and pull the center section out. Push out the yellow restrictor in the center with something. Put it all back together and bleed.
$free.

Also, all of the MQB platforms share the same clutch setup minus the TT-RS - which is an upgrade for the others.

Yes, it's worth getting rid of.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 23, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can basically gravity bleed the thing then have someone help you press the clutch a few times. Took me about half an hour.
I bought a speed bleeder to go back in and make it a shitload quicker but the size I thought it might be was wrong. (it's not M7) Make sure you have a 9mm wrench. No one has them. You need one unless you want to bleed it by tightening/loosening with your fingers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

AvesPKS posted:

Since a deer recently facilitated my beloved '13 Speed3's passage to heaven, and also due to the fact that it held its value extremely well, I've been shopping for a replacement. I test drove a '16 Fiesta ST and a '16 Focus ST back to back. The Fiesta drove fine, but felt small for what I need. I appreciated the Focus's larger interior volume, although sitting in the Recaros felt like dropping into a bucket. I wonder if I didn't have them adjusted properly or something. Both felt very solid, and their clutches were substantially smoother and more forgiving than my Speed3. I still stalled that thing out every few weeks even after driving it for 2 years. I wanted to test drive an Ecoboost manual Mustang, but none were on the lot, and so I ended up test driving a '16 Mustang GT PP. Clutch was closer to but still smoother than on my Speed 3. I then tested an FR-S, and while it was fun, just wouldn't work for me as a daily driver. Then a '16 GTI. My favorite of the bunch. Probably the best of the lot to be sitting in. Smooth shifting, and extremely smooth clutch. Despite it's apparently underrated numbers, and the Speed3's driveline losses vs. paper power, the GTI just didn't feel as fast as the Speed3. None of the hatches kick you in the pants like the Speed3 does when you hit 3000 rpms, though.

They are meant to feel linear, the boost comes on very early. A tune and DP puts them over 300whp.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I must be hosed since I did that with <1000mi on it. 6000mi later and we're fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Never understood the turning radius thing. Tons of cars have a lovely turning radius (Evo comes to mind) but still can handle amazingly well. If you have to 4 point turn coming out of your driveway, ok, I could see that. But nothing is that bad.

Also, don't buy a Veloster. See: Bajaha's thread.

The Evo thing made me laugh. So short lock-to-lock so it's not like they couldn't have gotten the turning radius down.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Voltage posted:

Same engine for gti and gli, and the gti performance pack gives you an extra 10hp but its just a software tune iirc.

The real reason to buy the sport pack is the LSD.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

On one of the forums I surf when bored, some guy was already asking about buying a 4000$ big brake kit for his 16 R. He couldn't come up with a reason for why he needed them when everyone asked. :shrug:

The stock brakes on my R will put you through the windshield on dry pavement.

Porsche brakes are a cheap way but...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I did that to a new Audi A6 yearssss ago. That's a little more than abuse.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
And here I purposely bought a base model for the cloth seats.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Carbon buildup on the backs of the intake valves are going to be a problem in any DI car. There is no raw fuel flowing over them so they don't get cleaned.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Yup, exactly what I was going to say. Good argument for water injection!

Or meth :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GutBomb posted:

Does even one single production car from any manufacturer come from the factory with an oil catch can? With how long they've been around if they actually did something worthwhile the manufacturers would have included it in their designs long ago.

BMW has had oil/air separators since at least the late 90's.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This is why piggybacks are the best for in warranty.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

8ender posted:

Why in the world is that not the stock tune? Horsepower gains aside, the torque curve looks way more useful for day to day manual transmission owners.

To not cannibalize the lineup and for reducing stress on the motor.

Man, that torque curve sucks though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone interested in buying a GTI should get a SCCA membership. You get the car below invoice with it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've somehow made it 10k miles on my 2016 white GTI with a single rock chip on the front bumper. I also haven't washed it in the entire time I've owned it, I figure the built up layer of poo poo is protecting it at this point. :effort:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 14, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radiohead71 posted:

I would love to hear your thoughts on the car. I am trying to resist getting a GTI/R but I think it is futile. I think a GTI S with PP and Lighting is what I want to get (with DSG). I've only heard good things about them. The R is intriguing too, but I don't know if it's worth another $8k (to me).

Mine is a base four door with a catless DP and JB1 tune box - somewhere around 290whp. The stock clutch is poo poo until you remove the restrictor in the hydraulic line ($free) and it likes to wheelhop until you stick a 034 Motorsports dogbone insert in. It's everything I wanted in a daily driver.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My JB1 has been great but when it's more than warm out (85+) and the car is heat soaked it will trigger limp mode when doing a hard pull in 2nd or 3rd, at least with a downpipe. The car requests more boost when it's hot out and with a DP / JB1 it will overshoot boost targets (fast spool) enough to peg the 3 bar map sensor and trigger the EPC light.

It's taking all of my restraint to not just drop an IS38 turbo in and tune it. The car already spins in 3rd occasionally but gently caress it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 15, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
In terms of the MK7 GTI the JB1 hits the same AFR targets as stock (14.7 up to half load, unsure above that) and the tunes run it a little bit richer or in the case of APR FAR richer up top.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=216252&postcount=54

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 15, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They can still tell with some of the tunes, especially on the 2016 cars that have locked ECUs stock.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fyodor posted:

To draft a semi you need to be about 100 feet or less behind them. Your FoST, generously, will take 150 feet to come to a stop.

I bought a motorcycle on Halloween night in ABQ, NM about three years ago. Rode it home to Phx, Az starting at midnight and it was in the 30's, which of course I didn't plan for. I figured out that staying behind a semi was the best way to stay warm... it's a lot closer than 100ft to be in their draft where the air is more still than you'd think. More like 30ft off the back. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fyodor posted:

My guess: someone didn't care that their light turned red as VWF was turning left on a protected green.

edit: although it looks like a glancing blow. Hmmm...

Wrong side of the car for that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nohearum posted:

I'm in the same boat. The MK7 GTI looks like the only decent candidate at the moment. Test drove an S and loved it, especially for the $22-23K that dealers are selling them for. I'm just terrified about the cost of long term VW ownership so I keep getting cold feet.

Meh, I've put 15k miles on mine in less than a year with a JB1 tunebox, downpipe, and a couple of other little things. Been beating the poo poo out of it. All is well so far.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a base S. The stereo is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

pik_d posted: