Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Had some 'hot hatches' over the years

My second ever car:

My first Viggen:

Second Viggen:

All very fun, sloppy chassis, overpowered, slightly modded, FWD cars. Spent the last several years riding around in boring trucks until I finally got a company rig. Traded in my truck and motorcycle and got a '14 ST with 7k miles last month. No Recaros, they never felt right on my back, I just wish they offered the stock seats in leather.

Really happy with it so far. Enough power to have fun and the steering feel is amazing. The only thing I hated was the huge amount of wheel hop, I know it's been a problem for others before I bought it, just had no idea how bad it was until I romped on it for a while. Recently installed the Boomba rear motor mount and the wheel hop is 90% gone and the shifting feels much more solid from first to second. The vibrations under load at around 800 to 1200 RPM are annoying though, hopefully it 'breaks in' after a while.

Will have to take a nice picture of it at some point as well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
After owning a couple bright cars and test driving an orange ST and seeing the attention it got I am always happy I went with the most boring ST color, ingot silver. No tickets and no kid racers.

Now to try and convince a friend of mine to get the RS...that thing sounds so drat angry!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel like my feet are too big to heel toe anyways...the only thing I really wish I had in my poverty spec FoST is a sunroof...glorious sun god.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

whitey delenda est posted:

Any FoST owner want a 3rd gen Cobb accessport? I have to sell my car in the next couple weeks as a consequence of moving to NYC. I figure it's a pretty niche product so I'll post up in the AI marketplace as well, but I wanted to put out feelers specifically to goons what already own the car.

PM me I figure $300 obo it's basically new

Pm sent

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Received the cobb access port v3 from a fellow forum member last week. Just running stage one on my focus st until I purchase a large intercooler but results so far are great. Throttle response is improved and feels more punchy from idle to around 2500rpm. Not sure if I would pay retail on it if I didn't plan on further tuning but it's a real nice system. Better than anything I had for my old saabs...not saying much but I am impressed.

Anyone have experience with the levels performance bolt on intercooler? Seems solid for the price, but am open to suggestions.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

AnimalChin posted:

Fat girls.

Fat dudes, too.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can you even spec a 370z to 50 grand?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
That is goddamn ridiculous.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Put a Depo intercooler and Turbosmart BOV on the FoST.

The intercooler is awesome, huge, and heat soak is no longer an issue. Will just boost all day long.

The BOV is dumb and serves no purpose with the stock turbo. I just had a gift card and like loud noises.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ringo Star Get posted:

There's been a lot of talk about removing the clutch assistance spring in the FiST and FoST for much better clutch engagement. Apparently the Mustang guys do this too. I gave it a whirl and it feels much smoother but it'll take some getting used to. There's no mechanical downside that causes any damage according to some Ford employees.

I would like to know more.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ace944 posted:

I picked up a 2013 Focus ST so I joined the club!

White is the best, kind of want to trade my silver for a white with a sunroof.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

mad.radhu posted:

Here's 57 images from the ST Octane Academy, and the museum at Miller Motorsports park, which is packed full of GT40s and Shelby cobras. http://imgur.com/a/JGFgi

Holy poo poo does that look fun.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

Bought a 2014 Focus ST3 in November and I'm really enjoying it. MyFord Touch is poo poo, and I wish I could replace it with something aftermarket, but everything else about the car is good.

I'm considering the accelerator pedal mod and the short shifter plate. Seems there are a couple of companies offering these products, is there one I should pick over another?

I read about removing the rev hanging feature via tune up, this is my first entry into caring about a car's performance so would I take this to a private mechanic, or will the dealer shop handle it if I ask during my scheduled maintenance?

This is my first manual transmission car, though I learned on a manual when I was a teenager driving my parent's vehicle. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd is my most inconsistent shift. Also, I noticed sometimes that when I'm reversing out of my parking spot, and I push the clutch back in to go to neutral or 1st, the engine stutters a bit. Like, the RPMs drop slightly too far before the car goes back to a normal idle. Is that something to be concerned about or is it normal?

Bob A Feet, I wish I knew we were car twinkies before you left Corpus.

Someone is selling a short shift breedt plate on focusst.com

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ordered a Depo 100cel DP today. Excited to see what Cobb AP stage 3 (and the eventual custom-ish tune) feels like.

Also wanting more grip and less bump steer...

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hill assist works in reverse.

Focus st update: Installed my depo 3" dp today. Fits as well as the intercooler, rough finish but solid quality for real cheap. Pm me for 5% off a depo order.

Installed the Cobb stage 3 tune. Car is real fun now. Lots of easily manipulated power. Do it if you have not.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Selling my ST

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=14#post447524100

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sold my ST today. It was an absolutely fantastic car for the money. Almost too good, on the verge of boring easy to drive fast.

Anyway, I'll miss hanging the rear out and making dumb blow off sounds with you, car.

Mcqueen fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 25, 2015

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

KidDynamite posted:

What makes this shift difficult?

Not OP, but I found I had to move the shifter slightly to the left in order to make a clean 1-2 shift.

This problem p. much went away with a better rear motor mount (boomba). It also killed 95% of wheel hop. The break in time is rough, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

KidDynamite posted:

I ordered the RS in black because the blue would just get me pulled over a bunch. I also don't like it as much as the blue they used to announce the car which Ford keeps under wraps only for concepts. I was kind of annoyed at being limited to 4 colors for the car but whatever.

Edit: Got the build date for my RS its Feb 4th and I am hype as gently caress!!!!!!!

Congrats! Excited to see it.