Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Laranzu posted:

See if your MyFordTouch is updated to 3.62 (think its 3.62. The latest one), it really seemed to iron out a bunch of bullshit mine was doing.

This, updated mine last week and have had no troubles since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Anyone have cold weather issues with the ST? Once it got below 30 or so, the rear motor mount issues became very obvious to me. Starting the car in the morning has been a cringe moment every day. So I'm headed to the dealer first thing Monday morning.
And the keyless unlock doesn't work for me when it's cold. I grab the handle, and it does nothing. Then I have to dig the fob out of my pocket and figure out which button is which. Had the car for 8 months, and I don't know which button is which, because I've never needed to.

On the plus side, it handled ice pretty well. Even with the stock tires.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Speaking of snow, I still have summer tires on mine. Went and grabbed the Miata Wed night to drive in the snow. It had a dead battery yesterday morning, so I took the ST to work. Drive home was a bit tense. Once I got it going, it did pretty well, but getting it going was just idle and slowly let the clutch out. Today I managed to back it away from the corner, but I couldn't get it into the driveway.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Laranzu posted:

Anyone else get in for the ST Octane Academy? Registrations opened the other day. I got my slot in April.

God I want to so bad, just don't think I can get the cash/vacation time together.

Also, third thing in the FAQ:

quote:

Are there automatic transmission vehicles available?

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Galler posted:

You've lived a very privileged automotive life if a Fit is the slowest car you've ever driven.

Pretty sure he was talking about the Prizm. And having driven one of the 3 cylinder bastards, I would agree.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

PadreScout posted:

Today I bought a Volvo c30. Can I join the hot hatch club?

Not without pics you can't!

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Voltage posted:

Normally I hate stupid cold air intakes, but apparently the stock intake on my Fiesta ST muffles the choo choo turbo noise, which frankly for me is half the fun of a turbo car. Would this be an obscene waste of my $300? The build quality seems solid and it makes an excellent sound in the video, but I have never heard of FSWERKS. I figure a less restrictive intake on a turbo can never hurt though.

I'd go with the Mountune kit:
http://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Induction-Upgrade-Kit-Fiesta-ST-2014-p/2364-cais-aa.htm

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Anyone gotten the Ford Racing cat back yet? I really want to do their FR1 package, but I still haven't found a decent video of how it sounds.

For anyone who hasn't seen it:
http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=24026

It's not cheap, but keeping the full warranty is worth it to me. (Also 350+ lb-ft sounds awesome)

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Atmus posted:

I'm interested in it, but I want to see what it does with 91 octane since that's as high as it goes here. I also wonder what the deal is with the exhaust tips and if it's possible to leave the old one on. I assume not since there isn't anything straight between them and the muffler, but for all I know the weird looking tip that's on there now is just a cover and my question is just stupid.

Those are the exact two things (other than the cash) holding me back too. I really like the looks of the stock tips.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

howling_mad posted:

No advice, but my FOSTs wheels look dirty if I dint hands detail them weekly. In 200 miles they look like they've never been cleaned.

Yea, I got tired of that within a month and plasti dipped em black.
Haven't found anything that really keeps the screen clean, fingerprint magnet no matter what.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Atmus posted:

I don't know why you would, I was just wondering if it did.

Yes it does, I had always avoided parking facing downhill until I discovered that. Works great when you need to back up hill.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

whitey delenda est posted:

ongoing Focus ST engine saga: I've called the dealer every week and the recall service parts are perpetually two weeks back-ordered.

It is really irritating. The problem gets worse when it's hot and in loving South Carolina we've got another three weeks of 80+ degree temperatures.

Same problem here, mine has gotten to where it only drives right if it's under 70. It's only under that for 12 minutes a night.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Eelface posted:

I was blind to this in the first place but removing the clutch springs on my FOsT took ten seconds and made driving so much better.

Ok, little confused here. Are you guys saying this took out play in the clutch pedal? My 13 FoST has never had a bit of play in the pedal. 1/8 off the floor and it's slipping, 1/16 from rest and it's slipping. I'd love a little play in it.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Sigma X posted:

Like most manual transmissions cars, the FoST and FiST have clutch pedal helper/return springs. They push the clutch pedal upwards to meet the driver's foot, and depending on how strong they are, they can make the clutch feel heavier, or make it feel numb. Removing the spring means the pedal is only being pushed back to the driver with the clutch's spring, not the helper, which means the clutch pedal will only travel upwards to the point that the clutch is engaged, possibly leaving some "slop" or wiggle room at the top of travel.

Makes sense, just couldn't get it into my head last night. Might have to try it.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

I just went on a 1500 mile road trip and averaged 34 MPG in my Focus ST. I thought the drat thing was lying to me.

Nice, never topped 31 in mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I bought a FiST then started throwing parts at it because I missed having something to work on, so I cannot throw any stones.

The answer is obviously to throw more parts.