Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I have been eyeballing Mazdaspeed 3's quite a bit recently. I have never owned a turbo car, and buying a used one with 50k+ miles worries me a little. How have your MS3's held up, goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

124k when I traded it in. Far from the most reliable car I've ever owned but not the worst (gently caress you 280ZX)... just a bit spendy here and there. I detailed it out here.

Still loved that car. I'll get another hot hatch someday.

Thanks!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

2 questions, one of them a "local" issue. True car has some bananas cheap rear end prices for Focus and Fiesta STs in my area, because Ford (I live in metro detroit). I assume some of these prices could be swayed by the weird bonded labor bullshit that the big 3 have, where its basically assumed you buy a new car from them every couple years for basically invoice prices.

Truecar says the Focus ST base is about 23.5k in my area, and the fiesta is 21.5. Does that sound similar to what you guys have seens?

Second question, I drive an 07 civic si sedan (FA5) and the weight of the clutch, especially after swapping hydraulics to the older EM1, is pretty heavy. My commute has a ton of traffic and the bite point of the clutch is very low, and its a lot of leg work.

Are the ST clutches pretty light? A nice feathery light clutch sounds good, but not at the sacrifice of a clean bite point. I have literally never stalled my civic since I upgraded the hydraulics.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 5, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hrm. Good info guys. I would prefer ideally a low engagement point with a lighter pedal feel, which it sounds like maybe can be customized in the ST's. I need to go drive one.

I would actually love a GTI, I think they are one of the best looking cars on the road interior and exterior. But I have never owned a VAG product and am a bit scared! I have been spoiled by Hondas too, my car has 132k on it and runs like a fuckin top, other than burning a little oil cuz VTEC BRO. I fully expect it to get to 200k without any major issues, assuming I keep it that long.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

How often does Ford run the current 0% APR + 1000 cash deals on the Focus ST? Its probably the thing that would swing me towards the Focus over the Fiesta currently, as the prices almost end up equal when accounting for the interest on the fiesta.

The current deal runs til the end of september, which is a little earlier than I wanted to buy.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Mk2 GTIs are cool as gently caress.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Test driving a FiST thursday night. I assume I will hate it and not buy it, right? Especially not for 0% APR financing and end of year incentives, those are terrible, just like this terrible car I won't buy.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

My 2016 veloster r-spec was $19,800 with spare tire included if you need something a little bigger. I couldn't sit comfortably in the fist at 6'3".

The good news is that I am about 8.5" shorter than you :wink: I had an early gen Hyundai and was not a fan, I don't love the brand to be honest. Never driven a Veloster though, they seem like they are good bang for the buck.

What's a good price for an end of year stripper FiST? I was thinking for shooting for 19-20k out of the door, and 0% APR.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anyone here have the Mountune "$600 for 90 lb/ft" tune? I am edging closer to pulling the trigger on the FoST and have been reading about factory upgrades a bit.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Another question while I am asking:

I am thinking about buying a 2015 Focus ST (with all the year-end deals). The one I want is red, and has factory black stripes, which are awful. Otherwise its exactly what I want, the base package without recaros, with alloys and summer tires.

I assume the dealer can remove the stripes, but should I be worried about paint mismatching? I looked up the build date, February 2015. So it could have been siting out in the sun for almost 10 months now...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Clutch delay valves are very common on dbw cars. It's a bummer.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I'm taking the FiST on an extended test drive tomorrow, my first drive was basically in rush hour so I want to give it another chance to win my heart. If I do get one, the real dillema is, base model Molten orange, or base model + nav + grey wheels in performance blue? (2015 cars available locally)

My current car is a similar blue, which I like a lot but the orange is pretty unique and fun.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

What is the advertised price on them? I was looking last night and found quite a few semi local to me for 18/19 with nav and recaros.

All over the place. The realistic prices are in the 20-22 range I guess. For a 2015 with all the late year incentives I am not willing to pay more than 19-19.5 OTD.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Where are you located? The prices I saw were all 2015s, but in more rural areas. Didn't seem to matter if it was base or optioned, advertised prices were all under 20.

I doubt if 19.5 OTD is possible though, since that puts actual purchase price more in the 17.5 or less range.

Metro detroit. Our tax rate is ~6% and I have an A-Z pin (ford employee family pricing I guess). Besides taxes and "delivery charges" and that sort of gobbledygook, 2k seems a high differential from sticker to OTD price. But its been a long time since I bought a car at a dealer, and that was a used car. I may have big haggler dreams that wont be fulfilled.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Even at 17.5, 6% is basically a grand. Another 500 in bullshit isn't too hard to imagine.

Fuckin go for it though. 19-19.5 OTD for a FiST would be loving tits.

Gave it a long drive, decided for sure it wasn't for me. Talked price just for shits, they said they wouldn't go lower than 22k OTD for a base model, which is basically retail - incentives and not a good price. I said "cool call me if something changes" and left. Not confident they will contact me, but its academic at this point. As I mentioned before, clutch and trans feel is the killer for me, just doesn't feel right. I was legitimately worried about money-shifting the test drive car, finding 4th felt weird. Like the dogleg isnt 100% parallel to the length of the car.

Oh well, the hot hatch search adventure continues :D In the meantime my FA5 got sideswiped this morning :smith: But I suppose if they write me a check I might just live with the crease and use the money for suspension mods :unsmith:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Mr-Spain posted:

I don't have PMs, but I've got several aftermarket parts for mine I took off in prep for trading it in. Intake Spacer, TPS silicone intake tube, Eibach Sportlines.

Local VW dealer has a R in white I like, and now they have a non-vw aquisition discount and a built in discount on the car to bring it down to 36 and some change. I need to see if it has any options on it.

Shoot me an email with mileage/price on the sportlines if you dont mind, paint.vagrant@gmail.com

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I have a bulging L5 S1 disc and I loathed the recaros. The acute angle of the seat back to the butt cushion is not something I could handle long-term, which is a shame as they seem very high quality. I could also see the making peoples legs numb as they apply additional pressure on the back of your legs where the seat cushion ends because of that angle.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Larrymer posted:

This is a little weird, I felt the same way driving my friend's ST. I hated the angle of the seat bottom and that it wasn't adjustable. I definitely couldn't live with them.

I also have a lovely back with L5/S1 fuckery (previous herniated disc, one surgery for it and it still stucks so I'll probably revisit that...) and am in the Detroit area. :confused::hf::confused:

Broke Back Bros

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

fyodor posted:

I think we've all gone through that "experimentation" phase in our lives. No big deal.

:wink:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Not a hatch but Civic SI?

Concur, it is considered a competitor for a lot of the cars in the OP. One day they will give us a hatch Si again (no they wont)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Most modern cars are bottled up at the header/downpipe for sure. But I'm not sure using a header + stock exhaust isn't still reducing gains you would see from going full 3" all the way back or whatever. Depends on the car probably.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

One thing to remember is that ECU flashes ARE detectable by Ford, and while they cant "void your warranty" legally, they sure as gently caress can point at the ECU reflash that is making 5 more psi of boost as the reason your turbo failed or whatever and deny your claim.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

fyodor posted:

My Credit Union's extended warranty can't tell if it's flashed though. :D

Lol good point.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I found the STs to have a super vague clutch feel compared to other cars. I'm sure you adjust to it eventually but it was disconcerting. I couldn't rev match on downshifts at all. Sorry person who eventually buys the cars I test drove :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Anyone added a lsd to their fwd hatch? How much did you hate life doing it? Worth it?

Mine came with one ;) (and isnt technically a hatch)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-honda-civic-hatchback-concept-photos-and-info-news

Si and Type R apparently incoming.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I'm not a suspension guru but front toe out seems like a bad idea.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Here's my Veloster Turbo R-spec 2016 results at latest autocross. I have strut brace, lowering springs, camber plates, and tires.

http://www.delta-scca.org/2016/03/14/march_results/

Nice job :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just bought a mazda2 (not really a hot hatch I know I know) that I'll be posting a thread about soon and it came with a good CAI, exhaust, and some other stuff and I cannot for the life of me squeeze more than 24 or 25 mpg out of it. Of course I've been doing a lot of time in it at high freeway speed which keeps the revs around 4k for hours but whatevs I guess

That doesn't sound right.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its one of the reasons I kept my 8th gen civic si instead of getting a FoST. The visibility was unacceptable, I couldnt get used to it, and didnt want to buy the ST3 to get the rear view camera. Shame, great car otherwise, but I guess thats just how modern cars are.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

What year did it go standard? I thought it was st3 only, clearly I'm wrong :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Lets all get in line to buy an Italian Chrysler Miata for full retail, its an investment

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

fyodor posted:

At least it might not poo poo its entire cooling system every 50k.

Might!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I can't remember the thread but there was some sort of fancy Audi copper(?) turbo plumbing clamps that everyone raved about.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I am about this >< close to driving my civic off a cliff (trading it in) on a white 2016 FoST. 0% APR...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

fknlo posted:

I liked the FiST I drove today quite a bit more than the 9th gen SI I drove yesterday.

I could see that. 9th gen is kind of the rounded off version of earlier Si cars imo. Great car and reliable as gently caress but not really as sharp edged as you would like.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's so much money on the FoST right now because the FiST is more popular at the low end and the RS is taking the top end. I think OEM advertised cash discount right now is like $2,750.

I am thinking with the various discounts something like 23k otd for a base model?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The RS isn't relevant to Ford's earnings, and you're not going to get one for less than MSRP because they are going to be supply constrained not demand constrained.

If you wait for a month or so when the 17s hit lots, you should probably be able to do better.

Yeah they are running 0% apr now, I assume towards the end of the year they will do it again.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Any of you guys do any mild towing with your FoSTs? It looks like getting a hitch mounted because of the center exhaust is kind of bitchy, but can be done. Im talking about towing about 1000 lbs of motorcycle and gear occasionally, or throwing some garage sale furniture in the trailer. That kind of low weight stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I swore the 0% APR ended on 8/1. Now I check and it says 9/6 on the ford site. poo poo.