Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
My 16 yr old, high mileage Peugeot GTi has been a little too unreliable for something I'm now using for work, so I've been after something newer.

I test drove a Fiesta ST which was an awesome car, the only thing I could fault was it felt the accelerator was too far recessed to heel-toe properly.
I decided I wasn't quite done with high-revving French silliness so now I'm waiting on delivery of this little guy:

Renault Sport Clio 200 Cup Trophee
I've had my eye on these for a while and I'm having to go off reputation as the one I was going to test drive sold while I was on my way to check it out (this ones coming from the opposite side of the country). This is the previous generation, and probably last of the old school naturally aspirated hot hatches - the new ones have gone to a 4-door, turbo, dual-clutch-auto setup to take on VW's market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

Anyone here have a Renaultsport Clio 200 or 197?

Worried that it's going to be pretty inert, boring and understeery by comparison to the BMW,

I found the Clio 182 had just too much grip on the stock Pilot Sports - if you threw it at a roundabout it pretty much just gripped, with a little power-underseer on the exit. Not really as much fun as the reviews led me to believe. I'd like something that will basically walk the back end as soon as you back off the throttle, Focus RS, 205 GTI or 306 Rallye style. The -ti will oversteer on throttle or lift-off with no problem.

This is my 200 Cup Trophee (what you'd call "full fat" in UK, only came in cup chassis here).
Here's Chris Harris demonstrating fwd oversteer in one
https://youtu.be/PBYSl3dD-UQ
Coming from a 306 gti6, it's a way sharper, more neutral car that understeers way less (less than any other fwd car I've driven) but you'll also find you won't get significant oversteer at sensible speeds (not as easily as the peugeot), as it just keeps turning in instead. It is a lot of fun though as it's just so reponsive to whatever you throw at it.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those seats are extremely good.

They're recaro sportsters (show up in a few cars like focus rs, nismo 370z and last gen RenaultSports), they are awesome but are taint destroyers for the unwary.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
I reckon it's easier to get fined in a slower car because the speed is hard won - your less willing to give it up once you get there.
With a quicker car you instinctively back off where a speed trap is likely because it's easy to gather the pace up again.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

The last three gens of the Suzuki Swift Sport are hilarious.

Yeah the new one is even lighter - 970kg/2140lbs kerb weight (lighter than an MX5/Miata).
It's like another weight class below a Fiesta ST.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Christobevii3 posted:

Parts going in hopefully before friday for weekend test n tune...

Dumb question. Does a Quaife or similar help on rough surfaces where one wheel gets bounced off the road (in a fwd)?
I never feel like I need more corner exit grip (on public roads) but occasionally get the situation where one wheel is deflected due to the stiff suspension and power to the ground is lost.
Lighter wheels/more damping is probably a better solution but curious if an LSD would be an advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

jammyozzy posted:

Guys, hey, guysguysguys can I play too? Hey!

It's a Renaultsport Twingo 133, and its basically like driving an excitable puppy.

Sweet. I have its "bigger" brother Clio RS 200 ~*Cup Trophee*~ in the same (unusually great) silver.
We don't get the Twingo here (Aus - we didn't even get non-RS Clio's for that gen). Would love to see what RenaultSport does with something even smaller than the Clio.

Does yours have these pedals?

spleen merchant fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 15, 2018