Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Crossposting, in part, a question from the MZR thread: Has anyone bought or sold a performance modded WRX, STi, GTI, MS3, etc.? Just wondering if the mods or the warranty impacts (voided warranty, at least as to the affected engine/ exhaust components) made resale tougher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

skipdogg posted:

That was a pretty decent review, I kind of liked that guy. Thanks for sharing

I know I shouldn't but I can't help it; I want a 2015 STi.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

the milk machine posted:

So I went and drove an ST3 on Saturday. It's a really great car, but I felt even more cramped than in my WRX... it's not that the Focus is small as much as I had very poor side and rear visibility, and the Recaros are incredible but too narrow for my back/shoulders. I also strongly disliked how the piped-in engine sound (which does sound very good when you bury the pedal) gets switched "on" and "off" at low revs. Very fun to drive, however.

I guess I have to see what's good in the "sport sedan" segment these days. Ugh.

Not really a hatch for 2015, but the WRX gets a glowing review (and a sub 5 second 0-60) in the March 2014 Car and Driver.

ETA: Anyone know when the 2015 Golf R is going to be available in the US?Looks like 1Q15.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 3, 2014

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

joe944 posted:

I find it odd that this thread about the Focus and Fiesta ST has a poll with the WRX/STI as the clear winner.

So, here's the 14' WRX I bought about 3 weeks ago now.

Coming from a Mazdaspeed Miata there are things that I love about the car and things that I miss.

- Smooth power delivery/torque compared to the thrashy high-strung BP engine.
- Confidence inspiring grip on the street
- Interior is an improvement from what I'm used to
- Massive by comparison with functionality to match
- Turn in and steering precision are light years behind the miata, as expected
- Serious STI brembo envy, coming from the miata with a wilwood BBK I feel like I need to be super careful with braking.

I did heavily cross shop the FWD hot hatches and have extensively driven stock/stage 1/stage 2 GTI's but with performance in mind the WRX really cannot be beaten for its price bracket.

How's your mileage? I've been mulling over a 2015; mileage isn't the main factor, but I'm now around 26 combined, so it's in the mix.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

joe944 posted:

I do a pretty even mix of street and highway driving. Overall average is about 21, although I've seen 25 on longer highway cruises. My buddy has a 13' and we managed 27 on a trip to reno.

OK many thanks! A colleague of mine was warning me that I'd take a hit, but he was making it sound much worse.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Folks with Focus STs, how's the reliability of your car so far. The ST is one of a few cars I'm looking at, but I've heard there may be issues, and if there are still significant bugs to be worked out, I may wait or go in another direction.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Many thanks everyone for the ST feedback! I'm not too worried about motor mounts, which are always something I'd consider going aftermarket on anyway, and I'm not sure whether MFT would be an issue for me personally, so maybe that just leaves turbo issues. Anyone here have any problems in that department?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

MS3 may be back on the menu in 2016:
http://wot.motortrend.com/1408_mazda_lineup_to_grow_mazdaspeed3_arrives_late_2016.html#articleComments

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Yeah the details are clearly still up in the air and/or undivulged. I'm inclined to believe the basic timing, though: the 2018 MY date that had previously been thrown around always seemed like an awfully long time for them to be out of the segment, especially in light of the competition (Focus ST doing well, the redesigned WRX/Sti, the upcoming Golf R etc.). Time will tell I suppose.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

More Mazdaspeed3 speculation, again including the possibility of an AWD:

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014/medium-passenger/mazda-planning-a-sporty-future-46861

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I'm guardedly optimistic about 2016 timing for the MS3, which Motor Trend also had a piece on a while back, since it will have been three years since a Mazdaspeed was in the lineup, but yes, as noted, it's all speculation at this point.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Hit an Apex posted:

On my second MS3 - terrific car. Also looked at everything else - Golf R, Focus RS, etc... MS3 had the biggest fun factor. The VW was super nice, and I liked the AWD, but not hooligan enough, and also more money.

Still on my first, and thinking about replacing it with No. 2 when (if)* they come out mid-late 2015.

*Yes, it's just speculation at this point, though I'm cautiously optimistic we'll see a 2016 model, as a number of press articles have suggested.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Missing zero probably.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

SFH1989 posted:

I'd love a FoRS but I'm doubting that it will be reasonably affordable or easy to get.

Anyone know what the expected US release / availability date is for the FoRS? I can't seem to find anything.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

The only "cool thing" I personally want to know is when I can get one.* Unfortunately I think the answer is: late 16.

*eta: Well, I guess MSRP would also be nice to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

MarsellusWallace posted:

I'm ordering a FoST in time for my current lease expiration, though? If there was a Mazda3 with more torque at the low/midrange I would absolutely be buying that.

If they'd had some torque in the BRZ I'd have leased or outright bought that two years ago, but here we are.

Bummed to read about the delay. My MS3 (which is super fun to drive every day) is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I'd been thinking about a VW to replace it, but I was also hoping against hope for a MY17 MS3 as a potential alternative.

No dice on that, I guess, and no dice on a WRX hatch, so I guess VW it will be. Was thinking about an R, but I'll probably wind up going for a GTI instead.