Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MarsellusWallace posted:

I'm ordering a FoST in time for my current lease expiration, though? If there was a Mazda3 with more torque at the low/midrange I would absolutely be buying that.

It sucks that the current 'hot' version of the 3 is the diesel - it solves the torque problem at the price of totally ruining everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Moving from a first gen MS3 to a current model 3 I think I miss the seats more than anything else (even the vast power difference). Mazda was pretty onto it back then.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

VW is buying back my Golf TDI and I would like to get something that's at least as fun to drive. I also really want Android Auto or something really similar. I have a big dog and do lots of DIY so the Veloster, Fiesta ST and the Mini are out. The Golf, GTI or the Sportwagen look nice, but I'm a little gun shy when it comes to VW right now. The Mazda 3 also looks like a nice option. Any other options I should look into? And will Subaru ever bring back the WRX Hatchback?

I love my current gen 3 but a hot hatch it is not.

Also the Mazdaconnect system is nice to use but doesn't have anything like Car play/Android auto - personally I prefer it that way but if you're wanting anything more than normal Bluetooth it'll be a letdown.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Everything about the interior and exterior design on Mercedes of that vintage is just awful. They may be cheap these days but there is a definite reason for that

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Depends on the quality of the replacement battery too - the factory battery lasted almost nine years in my mothers Suzuki Swift but the Jaycar replacement lasted barely six months. Also saw similarly poor performance from cheap replacements in my Mazda 3 and fathers Legacy.

e. Anyway I'd drop by the dealer and ask them to sort it - it's a new car after all

dissss fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 9, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Split the difference and get a Focus?

It's closer to Golf size without being Golf boring. lovely interior though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Same here. Good deals on the GTI and the resale is going to be better if that's a concern. I've had my share of compact Fords and never again.

That's absolutely crazy to me - in my part of the world absolutely nothing depreciates as fast as a fairly expensive VAG product

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

The Veloster dct is just as bad or worse. It would go into high temp situation and not engage gears and other weird things regularly. They released a software update after three years but still not fully resolved. VW is probably only dsg I'd recommend on a car I could afford

The VW 7 speed in the low powered models is pretty awful and has its own set of reliability issues. It's especially bad on the Polo GTI which is a shame because it absolutely ruins an otherwise nice little car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Problem: your auto sucks

Solution: manual 4 lyfe

The trouble with that is many manufacturers are so confident in their autos that they don't even offer a manual anymore.

The aforementioned Polo GTI is auto only here and my manual Mazda 3 was the only model available (base 2.5 which fortunately was the one I wanted anyway). Even the Corolla has only a token manual that is in practice priced above the auto as it's special order.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking at purchasing a new Fiesta ST this year. Would you guys recommend waiting for the new one? The interior looks so much better and I like the new styling of the car as well. The only things I'm concerned about is if we will actually get it here in the states, and if the new engine will be as good as the old one.

We're people earlier in the thread saying depreciation is a killer on those in the United States anyway? Why not take advantage of that?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

prom candy posted:

Did you guys just use the e-brake when you were learning hill starts? I've been learning stick shift on my wife's car that doesn't have hill assist and hill starts make me super nervous.

Not just when learning, that's the correct way to do a hill start.

Anyway if you have an electronic parking brake then you kinda need it (still not convinced these are a good idea either)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Or you could just use the handbrake?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

prom candy posted:

Are you from Europe? When watching Youtube videos on how to drive stick it seems like Europeans always do handbrake hill starts, and North Americans hardly ever do. Some guy in YouTube comments from Brazil said if you use the handbrake on your driving test for anything other than parking it's an automatic fail (although that's a youtube comment so who knows if it's true).

New Zealand.

When I took my licensed twenty odd years ago you'd fail the test if you did a hilstart without using the handbrake. Not sure how it relates to modern manual cars with hilstart assist and most people are probably doing their tests in an auto these days anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Also if the car has a stop start system it won't kick in until you put the car in neutral and release the clutch.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't think Volkswagen actually expects anyone to buy the manual these days

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

One of my cars (a Mazdaspeed 3) was owned by a fleet for a few months and virtually no miles. Turns out it was part of a scam the fleet manager was running where he'd buy cars (often models wildly unsuitable for fleet use), keep them in a garage for a while then flip them off to one of his mates who would then sell back to the original dealer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

From bottom to top Fleet - private buyer - dealer - different dealer owned by the same group

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Adding the Z back on for a fun car I'd still need to keep the Veloster for commuting duty. So like 3 years? Wife is running 20k miles a year now and using it so having a secondary engine built up to swap in a few years with the lsd, clutch, and flywheel I already haven't would be ok. I sorta want to keep the 350z nice too since the 240z is getting restored and should be ready for shows next year.

Are you saying insurance on the Hyundai would stay the same if you mod the piss put of it? I don't know how insurnace works where you are but that doesn't sound right

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I've never given my insurance company any info about my car except the VIN.

Have you actually read your policy and looked for what it says about modifications?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

A five year old Mazda 3 will be the 08-13 model - should be pretty well sorted by that time with the normal road noise caveat. Maybe rust too if you're in an area afflicted with it.

A five year old Focus will be early in the present model cycle and have the dual clutch transmission. Personally I wouldn't touch one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You Am I posted:

I'm sure they will continue in the rest of the world, since hot hatches are still very popular in Europe and Australia

I really wouldn't be surprised if they do a Mazda and go focus on making the boring models best in class (or at least better than they are now)

When I was (not hot) hatch shopping it was amazing how much further the dealer was willing to move on Ford pricing v Mazda (the dealer has both franchises) - they just had to to get people to even consider the Ford options.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The seven speed in the lower powered cars put me off DSGs for life but if you've never had the 'joy' of one of them there's nothing wrong with the six speed in the Golf

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Personally I'd rather commute in my manual Mazda3 than an auto Evo - there is more to a good commuter car than transmission choice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

I've really been missing my 08 lately. Such an awesome car and I'll never find one as clean again. They're all hosed with by now.

Same

It'd only done like 60k km too

Replaced it with a boring, sensible 2016 model and I often regret it :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mine was admittedly low mileage but it didn't cost me anything out of the ordinary to run - fuel economy was almost the same as my partners normal n/a 2l and nothing went wrong.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Does the R really hold its value?

In my part of the world absolutely nothing depreciates like an expensive Volkswagen (well aside from even more expensive Audis)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

I assume you mean the rest of the world where the R is a common car that you can walk in to a dealership and find them sitting on the lot just like any other car.

Well no you'd probably still have to order one. It's more that few people would want one outside of the warranty period.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Personally I like them both - certainly better than yet another snooze-fest Golf variant

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

When I sold my GTI one of the people that came to see the car noticed that the entire right side of the car was covered with micro chips. I'd never noticed, but he was right. I have no idea what happened.

Might have been parked close to where someone was using a big lawnmower or leafblower - happened to an old Integra of mine

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The film on my 08 MS3 still looked good when I sold it last year except if you looked at it through polarised sunglasses.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Or you could just use your phone like a normal person

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Fiesta ST - the three cylinder sounds cool and all but the exterior restyle hasn't done it any favours

The new interior looks a lot nicer though

e. I know the ST isn't actually available yet but you can see where things are going from the ST-Line

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 16, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I hate sunroofs and hope to never own another car with one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I've pulled way more than that with an older model Fiesta ST (the one with the 2l that never came to the States) and it copes just fine.

We don't have the same strictness around towing here though so I'd check the insurance situation.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

I never considered sixth super tall in my MS3. Maybe 2500ish around 70mph?

Yeah my first gen was about that - it was actually about the same as my current model 3 with the 2.5 and MT

I think they changed the gearing a bit second gen speeds though

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Eh? I had no issues just leaving it in sixth on the highway in my MS3. No problem passing either as long as I was over 65 or 70.

Agreed - I found it perfectly usable in 100km/h (60mp/h) zones

In that car I only used fifth in 70 or 80km/h zones, whereas my new 2016 3 is quite happy in fifth at 50-60km/h

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wallaka posted:

Not necessarily. I have a car that does the same thing and the thermostat is perfectly fine. I can literally see the temperature gauge jump when the thermostat opens. In my case, it's a consequence of using the V8 radiator in the six-cylinder cars as well. My Dad told me every 60's I6 Mustang, Falcon, Fairlane and Comet had the issue.

Not on a modern car with a stock cooling system like an ITR though

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You can’t really lower an Ecosport much - it isn’t a designed with a lot of ground clearance it’s the body itself that is tall. The Holden Trax is a similar thing (just even more hideous).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Did the BSM system get damaged? If so I’d bet a lot of that difference is in replacing that - not only are the parts expensive as hell but there is a bunch of calibration required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

E46 interior is nicer than FiST interior

To be fair I'd say the E46 has a nicer interior than more modern 3-series too - the E90 was a really noticeable step backwards