Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

xsf421 posted:

If anyone is looking for one, there's still two black RS2s at the dealer here (Detroit area). Blue is definitely the best color though.

Shame about the rims though. Only available with black rims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

fknlo posted:

Got a quote from the shop I'm probably going to want my car to go to. $4500. :lol:

They did notice a couple things I hadn't. From the right angle you can tell that they either didn't paint the drivers side door at all or they just did another terrible job of blending it. The light was just right that you could also see the spray lines on the hood!

So bad.

That's so bad. When you first posted I thought it might be fixable with some wetsanding, but this is just insane.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah it actually looks great unlike 90% of matte paint jobs. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Candlelight Virgil posted:

What's everyone here think of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta? I don't know much about it, but saw the base model is about 150 hp...is there a performance variant? I think it looks pretty clean. The front end is VERY different but I imagined it'd grow on me eventually if I got one. Are they available in the states? Is it considered a "hot hatch" for the purposes of this thread?

The QV has 240hp 0-100km/h @ 6 seconds. I prefer the look of the MiTo, but the Giulietta is easily one of the best looking bigger hatchbacks.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Why are octanes so low in the US? We only have 95 and 98 here in Sweden.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BlackMK4 posted:

Because you are using RON only and the US uses the average of RON and MON. Your 95 / 98 is our 91 / 93.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Different measurement methodology. Europe uses RON and the US uses R+M/2. Your 95 is the same as our 91. Your 98 is about the same as our 93.

edit goddamnit blackmk4

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah I see. Thanks. Figured it can't be that much difference.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Edit: I too thought it was the VW thread.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Eifert Posting posted:

I work in claims and just about every accident I see in icy or snowy conditions is a four-wheel drive vehicle.

It's seriously 80 or 90% of the ice and snow claims I see.

People who assume they can control their cars normally in icy conditions are the reason those accidents happen.

One of the bigger Swedish insurance companies found the same thing. Their conclusion was that 4WD masks the bad conditions of the road, and makes the drives overly confident.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Looks amazing!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Isn't DSG the kind of gearbox that you shouldn't own outside of warranty?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BraveUlysses posted:

they seem to be pretty reliable actually, just gotta make sure you change the fluid as required every 30 or 40k

Ah I see. Is this scheduled maintenance or are they sticking with the "lifetime oil" malarky in DSGs as well and owners figured this out?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I have have now officially decided that lifting old classics and rally speccing them to a degree owns.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BraveUlysses posted:

If you don't expect to drive in snow or ice stay with summer tires

I wouldn't use summer tires in sub 10 degrees weather.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

xsf421 posted:

The cup 2s that come on the RS specifically say they can crack under 15*F. I don't like having them on below 45*, there's basically no traction left at that point.

Celsius

BraveUlysses posted:

Is Charlotte NC known for 10 degree weather?

Celsius

No idea. My point is that average temperatures > presence of snow/ice when choosing tyres. Actually I was a bit harsh on the summers. They still perform, but winters usually outperform them when it dips below 10 degrees Celsius. Recommendation is to swap when the average temperature is around 5-7 degrees.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 16, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PaintVagrant posted:

you all driving Nazi cars :lol:

Personally I prefer Mussolini-mobiles :italy:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

take their financing and pay it off immediately, then?

Wouldn't at all be surprised if they have early payment penalties to make sure they milk every last bit of their financing commission.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm all for screwing dealers, but I'd factor in never buying anything there again... or getting any sort of goodwill as well as fighting for everything that comes after.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Just read up on some of the negatives that ceramic coatings bring to the table before you make your mind up, especially if you are getting it done by a detailer. A ton of money that can be wasted if it's not cared for properly. At a minimum I'd say that you "need" a garage/drive so that you can wash the car whenever needed. Getting water spots/stuff etching sucks on a coating because you'll need a lot more work to have it fixed. Same with scuffs and scratches.
If you polish the car yourself and then put it on it's less of a problem. Stuff like Hybrid ceramic wax can perform almost as well, it just won't last as long. But if you apply it every/every other wash it'll last. Beadmaker is amazing for the looks and slickness, but won't last for poo poo. It has the advantage of being compatible with pretty much anything you put it on. Cheap to use in the US as well.

Then there's the whole "Beading vs sheeting" discussion.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Source4Leko posted:

I just got a raise at work, should I sell my 2009 Civic Si and buy a new Type R?

If you can cash it, sure. If not, go fill up your emergency fund and all the randomly named things that you have in the US that are very important to max out in order to not be homeless when retiring.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Previa_fun posted:

You'd be extremely dumb to buy any Tesla IMO

Half the car for double the money!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

evrae posted:

browsing around for one

the dealership was kind enough to ask about drilling one on the front. i said no thanks!

Get the titanium plate cover that someone linked in the terrible stuff thread.

Joking aside, that's one good looking front. Congrats!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Amazing color combo, congrats!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Almost more important to wash it in winter tbh. I wash my car every 2 weeks (or plan to at least).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Some gearboxes like the dreaded M32 gearbox will wear out even faster by lugging the 6th gear. The older versions had bad oil supply to the end bearing, so any unnecessary load just makes it worse. At least according to the hive-mind.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Crosspost from the new car thread.

I really like this. I like the bronze theme that SEAT have been doing lately.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I researched a bit when I was thinking of getting a catchcan on my new DI car, but then stuff like potential freezing in winter etc popped up and gently caress dealing with that. Disgustingly consumerist as it sounds, I won't keep the car for longer than the warranty lasts and after this one I'm getting an EV.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'd say battery still. My dad has had the start stop system whine for ages, but the shops say the battery is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Sequential indicators are better now, but I still see many of them as indicators that "lag".