Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think 'hot' is probably too nice of a description for that thing. I'm looking for something between "nuclear" and "widowing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I'm never sure about test driving hot hatches. I mean, do you drive it sensibly and never get a feel for what the car's really like, or do you drive it like you actually would if you owned it, and come off looking like every other knuckle-dragging test pilot that comes in off the street?

Show up in a full face helmet and fire suit and demand that the salesman tell you his blood type before you set off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Probably not a good car, but it's definitely been on my bucket list of cars to drive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ringo Star Get posted:

Realized a few days ago in the ST when you have your front wipers on and you put the car in reverse, the rear wipers go on. Blew my mind at the things they think of.

On late-model hatchback Subarus (08+), the rear wiper actually speeds up when you put the car in reverse so your vision out the rear window is clearer. It's a cool feature that is obvious in retrospect.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

This EVO video Harry Metcalfe did on the Clio Trophy does a good job of encapsulating what I like about hot hatches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTTI-aMKn60

Wow, what a special little car. Remote reservoir dampers, plastic fenders, custom-specification tires, partsbin stripper bits where they make sense. They put more thought into the implications of their headlight selection than certain other brands put into the whole package.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

I've seen a few on CL but they are always ragged out :(

Grassroots Motorsports did a special article on them this month so now the cone-bothering community knows about them too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I feel sort of let down now. You're going to have to make up for it by putting studded winters on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wonder if that hurt or helped C30 sales.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

That C30 back end is a real love it or hate it look. The lack of a 4-door option doesn't help, either.

Honestly, I fell in love with the C30 the first time I saw that glass. Dealing with the local Volvo dealership is what turned me off the car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Friar Zucchini posted:

Motor mount aside, does that make it a Mazdaslow 3? :v:

I think they prefer the term "Mazedium" or "Maitzokay."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Put snow tires on it, don't be a hero.

You want to be Powerslidey McParkingLotDrifter.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sir Winston Beehill posted:

So I got something that isn't a Ford. Been driving it for a week now and I've gotten so many compliments about the colour. Also literally everyone wants to race me, from Camrys to Golf Rs.

Is this the one that only comes in auto?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Since there's no "Cheap Shitbox Discussion Thread" I should mention that the Nissan Micra is now going to be available in Canada (sorry, US).

They're shooting for an MSRP of $9998 for the base model.

Considering Mitsubishi has been giving guidance that indicates that the Mirage in Canada is one of their last hopes for North America, I don't think their value proposal of "spend $12.5k on a 3-cylinder hatchback instead of $9.9k on a 4-cylinder hatchback" is going to hold water for long.

The reason why it's in the hot hatch thread is apparently Nissan has mentioned it will have "Scion-like" upgrade packages available which makes me hope I can eventually build a Spec Micra if not a Micra Nismo.

Bonus: the announcement took special care to mention that they've made improvements to the car for Canada, such as extending the heater vents to the rear seats, and putting in a fold-flat rear seat so you can put hockey bags in it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 13, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

So yeah, don't buy a Hyundai guys... or maybe I just got stuck with a Lemon.
I was gonna write this when you first picked up your car, but didn't want to prejudice you in case your car turned out to be fine..

My buddy bought an Elantra Touring when they started offering it here. We were all suitably impressed with it but it's spent more time in the shop than most new cars should.

The clutch master wasn't filled because that's part of PDI and the lot boy "mechanic" had only ever seen automatics. That took two trips, first to demonstrate to them that it was dry, and second to make them fill it again because they didn't bleed it, just filled it.

The headliner rattled, turns out there are a lot of wires for the cabin light, etc that are supposed to be affixed to the roof securely and weren't (no tape strip). Car was down for several weeks for that and went back again because the headliner wasn't securely fastened after they hosed with it, and fell down again when it got hot that year.

Rear hatch strut went out on one side, to the extent that it actually started leaking. At least they figured out how to repair that in a single trip.

I think there was something in the middle with air conditioning as well, which necessitated the purchase of tools to prove to the mechanics that it was in fact not cold.

Every trip to the dealer was also accompanied with lots of attitude from the service writer and mechanics, in one instance to the extent of walking the certified mechanic through repair steps over the phone. They're now refusing to do any non-mechanical warranty service on the car as it got sideswiped and repainted (shittily) by the insurance company's favoured repair abattoir so the rattles and squeaks are just things he's going to have to live with for the remaining 7ish years of his "10 year warranty."

Their dealerships have a long loving way to go. Hyundai needs to start clearing house if they want to continue putting on their big boy pants in North America.

In the course of a year I went from "hell yes Hyundai is gonna cave in the Civic's rear end in a top hat" to "coulda bought like two used Civics for what he spent on this thing." It's not even my car.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 30, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Insurance told me an A3 was cheaper than a GTI of the same year based on crash statistics alone despite similarities.

Yeah, you can go on the IIHS website and look up stuff like total-loss and liability statistics for different cars. It helps explain why Lancers are more expensive to insure than a Civic, for instance (Lancer owners total their own cars, and when they do, they total a lot of other cars on the way out).

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/insurance-loss-information

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

I really miss having a hatch and can't afford any of the newer hot hatches so I've been thinking about possibly "making" my own. For awhile I've been wanting a second gen ZX3 Focus and recently they have been coming down in price big time with low miles. IIRC they are relatively cheap to make better as far as handling but I'm not so sure about engine stuff. Basically I would put most of the money into suspension and wheels/tires and maybe some bolt on poo poo for the engine (intake/header/exhaust) if it would even help at all......Any advice on these cars? I would most likely be rally crossing it and maybe auto crossing as well.

I helped out with a low-dollar 2003 (so first gen, but should also apply) STF ZX3 build a few years ago. We started from a $400 ZX3 that was pre-riced by a succession of people (from high dollar/high quality all the way down to a guy who didn't know what part of the car "suspension" referred to, mounted three different kinds of tires, and was afraid to change the oil himself). Whatever was good was kept, all the other garbage got thrown out. It's now running top 10 raw times. It still has huge rust holes in the door, a kicked in hatch and looks like a total piece of poo poo.

Power is a distraction, you can go incredibly far with suspension on a healthy Zetec motor - this one hasn't been changed one bit other than making sure it has good compression and doing the deferred maintenance of the last decade. You'd be surprised how much a decent bushing kit can improve your times as well, in ways you can't even perceive. The control blade rear end seems to get incredibly pissy when the wheel bearings are unhealthy as well, and starts having weird antics with toe adjustment near a traction limit.

STF lets you remove some street niceties, but not too many - and it limits tire size. For rallycross I'd look into what classes the stock car qualifies in and what the competition is like there.

One thing that was impressive to me was just how cheap dealer parts are - you can replace large chunks of the rear suspension with impunity instead of bothering to free up rusted bolts, it's so cheap. The entire SVT suspension drop-in kit is also available from the dealer and is stupid cheap.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 15, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I wouldn't pay that and I'm mildly retarded for well-loved high-mileage family haulers and TDI Golfs in particular.

At least get it detailed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

Today, after filling the gas tank, the FiST stalled twice. At idle. Like a loving shitbox from the mid-80s. And apparently this is a "known problem".

Pull out the choke.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dr.Caligari posted:

On the FiST , and probably most other Fords, can you replace JUST the mirror glass in a side mirror, or do you need to replace the whole assembly?

They probably work the same way as most other cars in that you can heat gun the glass out of the holder.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

I just want to go get groceries in it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

Regular Car Reviews accurately described the Fit as a "good noncommittal car" and "once you buy a Fit, you'll probably immediately start saving money to buy something to replace it." (Which I did last month with a RAV4H once my Fit hit about 70k.)

I really like the 07-08 Fit but the 09+ has a dashboard that can repulse me at fifty paces. Apparently resale value agrees with me, because even a high-mileage hail-dented 07 is $3500 in my local market. And nobody ever adjusts the loving valves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV-7ppRt8Pw

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

The GTI gets beat around by wind way worse than the golf does. It can get really bad passing semis...
The stock alignment on the GTI is probably way more aggressive. Have you ever had it checked? I've seen a lot of new cars with absolutely incomprehensible alignments that didn't get caught during PDI.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

oxbrain posted:

I upgraded to a Fiesta. :v:

Sellout.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

PaintVagrant posted:

Deadhook posted a link to some sort of group buy for a helical LSD for fiST. 560 dollars, can't say I'm not a little tempted.

Does it freak out the traction control?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

PaintVagrant posted:

I wish my car could hold washer fluid :smith:

(I ran over a curb while distractedly pulling out of a parking spot and managed to break the reservoir. 30 dollar part on ebay, just need the weather to be warm for a weekend so I can fix it)

Nashua Stretch & Seal tape. Learn it, love it, live it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The ZX3 Focuses are a really good cost:fast ratio for autocross. They are exceptionally dominant in STF in the local scene, usually for under $400/yr on total race budget.