Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

fknlo posted:

The Golf R420 has supposedly been green lit for production.

So if it comes to the US(rumored it will if it goes to production) we'll get to see what the market is for a $50k Golf. It would have to be really special for me to spend that much. For me personally, $40k or so is the most I could probably stomach without jumping up to something else.

I would have a hard time buying a current Golf R since $40k on a tarted up Golf is a lot never mind $50k. I am also a snobby european who bought a MK6 GTI in the US since it has the Euro spec interior unlike the new MK7 that are made in Mexico with the typical USDM plastic interior of doom. Probably going to buy my current one out at the end of the lease and then watch everything go wrong in typical end of warranty fashion.

Sigma X posted:

Like most manual transmissions cars, the FoST and FiST have clutch pedal helper/return springs. They push the clutch pedal upwards to meet the driver's foot, and depending on how strong they are, they can make the clutch feel heavier, or make it feel numb. Removing the spring means the pedal is only being pushed back to the driver with the clutch's spring, not the helper, which means the clutch pedal will only travel upwards to the point that the clutch is engaged, possibly leaving some "slop" or wiggle room at the top of travel.

They don't have a hydraulic clutch? I am so used to one by now that going back to an unassisted one would feel weird for a little bit. Are the USDM FiST and FoST close to the EU versions?

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

This is where you are mistaken. The 15 and 16 R are made exclusively in Germany. The MK7 is also considerably lighter and stiffer than the mk6. A fully spec'd out GTI is already 32-34k if you get the power pack, sunroof, dsg and autobahn.

I got base spec everything on it since it is a hot hatch :colbert: manual gearbox and no sunroof since having a sunroof is heavy and makes the roof less stiff. Oh the 90's called and wants their myths back, brb.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Just ordered up the Breedt short shift arm for my Focus ST. Also ordered metal bushings from Boomba. Looking forward to how this will change my shifting experience.

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cefC0DPlHFQ

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Drum breaks are fine on the rear, discs on the rear imo is really a cosmetic thing for road cars.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Sigma X posted:

Yeah, except for the entire "pretty much all modern consumer cars use rear brake actuation for stability control, and in some cases, to increase turning capabilities" thing that's going on.

Which is silly as not everyone is driving their car like they are on a tarmac rally stage but I expect a lot of it is safety regulation and doing rare break actuation is the cheapest way to meet it.