Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Regarding a new GTI, how much of a difference is there really between an SE, and an SE with Performance Package. I see the numbers, but is there really a reason to go with the Performance Package for what's basically going to be a commuter car?

I'd be coming from a car that's considerably higher performance, so I know I'm going to be in for a considerably more sedate driving experience. But its only a couple grand to add Performance + DCC. I just don't know if I should go for it on a car I'm basically going to use to drive to work. There aren't even any fun roads around here (Houston) to hoon it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks. I forgot about the LSD. I guess for $1500 the Performance Pack is kind of a no brainer. And the Lighting Pack is a definite buy as well.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why is she afraid of hills? All manual cars have hill holder now. They don't roll back. That's the only thing I can think of that would be frightening.
You sure about that? Because my 2016 GTI definitely does not have hill hold assist.

Also, DeathbyMisadventure, I'm 6'3 and fit in the car just fine. The car will be plenty big inside for you. Only issue will be if you have a wide torso, the bolsters may hug you a little bit.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Hmm...thanks for that information. I guess I need to try that method out. My last car engaged it whenever I let off the brakes normally.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Mine does, I think the clutch has to be in for it to engage?
I tried what KYOON GRIFFEY JR said, about pressing the brake HARD while the clutch pedal is in, and it works. So yeah, I was just unaware of how it functioned. Thanks again for the pointer.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 3, 2016

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

You can buy new FiSTs for another 1.5 where I live, or a FoST for 2-3 and that's just going off advertised prices. That's a hilariously bad buy if those are even close to actual transaction prices.

15k CAD = $11700. You can buy new FiSTs for $13k and change?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Bovril Delight posted:

On the fronts you have to have 25% or higher, but most places do it in 5/15/30, so do 30 on the front.

On the back you can do it darker. I prefer 15% on the back. It's dark without being limo tint dark, and it's not a big change from 30%.

To clarify on this, as applies in Texas, your front windows must have 25% light pass through, and since glass doesn't allow 100, more like 93, most places will only apply 35% tint on the fronts, because when tested it is pretty close to 25%.

I just had mine done, went with 35% fronts, 20% rears and hatch. I love it, looks great, doesn't affect night time visibility much.

And congrats, DeathbyMisadventure. However, get a price quote from your dealer and see if it seems like way too much. Mine wanted 2x what I ended up paying. Also, check and see if they do the 2 little triangles at the front of your driver/passenger doors, as some places say they cant access them.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Also, they did -not- tint the little triangles in front of the doors, and it's not really an issue.

Same on mine. The shop I used gave me a few bucks off, and they gave me a piece of tint with pre-cut pieces for them that I requested. I found a guide online showing how to remove the A-Pillar trim which gives access to the area, so I may try that some day. Not having them tinted really hasn't bothered me though.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Installed my plates just now on my '16 GTI. I used a US Millworks front tow hook adapter and when I got to the rear, the dealer installed method is...wood screws directly into the bumper??? Seriously, VW? They didn't even get them loving level! And I don't even feel like they're secured that well because it felt like I was about to strip them and I didn't want that to happen.

Albeit extremely minor, this is the first thing I've encountered on the car that has really dissatisfied me. Otherwise, it's been a pretty nice little car for the first 2500 miles.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

What trim level do you have? Manual or DSG? I think I am going to wait for the '17 GTI Sport. It has cloth, PP and LP together for around $30k. I've tried to buy 2 of the 3 S with DSG, LP and PP in the US but the dealers continue to be asshats so it didn't work out. I was willing for fly to CA or DC to get one (I'm in FL) but both dealers started their shenanigans so I bailed out.

I would love to hear your impressions of the GTI. I test drove an R last week and loved it, but I don't want to spend that much money. The DSG was a little sluggish at low speed so I would have to adjust to that. From what I've read the GTI is 90% of the R for less money. Sounds good to me.

I've got an SE Manual with PP, LP, and DCC. I haven't driven an R, and I haven't really driven this car that hard yet. I tested the DSG and experienced the low/slow speed weirdness you mention and decided to go with the 6 speed. The clutch is a little vague but there are a couple mods that people on the forums have had good experiences with (CDV delete and removing the clutch pedal assist spring). After that, I'll probably install an upgraded shifter bushing kit and the VW DG Springs, and then I'll be happy with how everything is.

The seats are really good in this car, too, but I'm not sure how the options work and if the cloth ones are the same, but I really like mine. The ride is good, but I leave it in Sport mode 99% of the time and I don't know how that transfers to a non-DCC car.

The GTI Sport sounds cool, but have you considered ordering a car to your spec? Your local dealer should be willing to help you with that unless they're jackasses. Some just want to sell what's on the lot.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

DeathbyMisadventure posted:

When I was looking there was fine print that said if you used VW financing you weren't eligible for any other incentives, whether or not that is up to the dealer's discretion I don't know, but they were all that way from what I saw in TX. If you haven't already, I'd go to a credit union or 3 and get quoted a rate, I was able to get like 1.6% from one but ended up going with the dealer for a very slightly higher rate but they said if I financed through them they would take another $1300 off the car. Made me wonder just how much they get for arranging financing since they set me up with Wells Fargo for what ended up being a dollar more a month on the payment, I have no idea how this worked out in their favor.
Dealer reserve. They probably got you bought at something like 1.4 or 1.5 and then told you they could get you in at whatever they got you at, but knocked $1300 off to get you to agree to their financing. So they "gave" you $1300 but made more than that over the term of the loan in the difference in interest amounts.

Totally legal and legit thing that pretty much all dealers do. That's why its so important to know your credit score and approximately what interest rate you can get privately before shopping.

edit to clarify that I'm not suggesting you "got had" or anything. Dealer reserve exists as a way to give the dealer some income for getting the loan, in this case, for Wells Fargo. Sometimes it can work out to be basically in both parties favor like it looks like worked out for you. Sometimes people can get approved at something like 2% but the dealer tells them they are approved at 4%, and since they might not have done any research, they take it.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 2, 2016

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

joe944 posted:

Welp. 3k miles after installing the JB1 on my R and I've got clutch slip in 5th. Started researching which one to get when I first installed the JB1 and didn't find any clear winners, with clutches being rather subjective. Oh well, time to pull the trigger on something.
drat, that sucks. How many miles total did you have on it? Also, is the tranny/clutch the same between the R and the GTI?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've found a minor annoyance with my GTI. The windshield wipers are kinda tucked down below the hood so it makes it a pain to clean the glass. You can't lift them up or they hit the hood. And if you put them in service mode then when you go to bring them back down they wipe all the way down and you've gotta go back and clean up after them.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

I'm just happy the squirters aren't on the top of the hood.
That is actually pretty nice.

And yeah, it's definitely not a big deal. Considering after a few months that's the biggest gripe I've found with the car I have to say I am very very happy with it overall.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
VW's MIB 2 (NOT the MIB 1) is incredibly not rear end and Apple CarPlay owns. It also has Android Auto but I don't have that kind of phone. I find the seats very comfortable and nicely bolstered, and they actually hold their own against the M Sport Seats in the Z4M I had. I'm a big guy and they don't squeeze me too much either.

The two major points I'd give to the GTI vs the FoST I drove are the interior in the GTI looks really nice and is a bit understated, while the FoST interior looks like something aimed at a younger audience and more trendy looking. In 10 years, the GTI's will probably hold up better in the aesthetic department. Second point, the materials are unquestionably better in the GTI. I also liked the shifter/clutch in the GTI more, but they both felt pretty numb. Point is moot if you go DSG in the GTI though.

All in all, drive them both and pick the one you like more. Everything listed above is personal preference.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

Nogaros > Austins. Neither hold a candle to the gorgeous Pretorias on the R for '17.
Just googled the Pretorias, drat, those look good.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah when I bought my last car it was out of state, and they applied the tax but when I registered it they didn't make me pay again here in Texas.

I'm sure the law varies state to state, but at least in Texas, you can't take the tax off a sale unless the dealer delivers the car directly to you out of state.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

Some guy with enough disposable income that is tired of buying M3's?

I'm guessing most that moved with that kind of markup went straight to climate controlled storage for resale in 20+ years.

Some guy that seems to know a lot posted on focusrs.org that there are a total of 3516 built in 2016 for the US market. I've seen other numbers around 8,000 but it looks like they skipped a bunch of VIN numbers in places and maybe some of the VINs went to other countries.

So for arguments sake, if they make 3 model years and produce about the same number per year, that's 10,500 cars, roughly. That's not a ton of cars compared to something like a regular Focus/Fiesta, or an F150. At the same time, that's a TON of cars compared to other "rare" cars. The only recent-ish car I can think of off the top of my head that's appreciated is the BMW e36/38 Z3M, and they only brought 2,858 to the US. And the follow-up to that, the Z4 M Coupe, they only gave us just over 1800, and the price on those is going down still, but may be leveling off.

In the end, those guys with low mileage RS's in 10-20 years might be able to break even, but the majority will be priced like e46 M3's are now.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

So batshit insane for ones with "desirable" features and reasonable miles?
I mean, the MSRP for an e46 M3 was around $46k. I just looked at EAG's website, and not counting the competition package cars, they're almost all under that. Of course there will be a couple unicorn "delivery mileage" ones with the "right" colors and options that go for premium prices, but I was just trying to highlight that cars are not a good investment. Even cars like the Focus RS.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I didn't feel like the price difference between the '16 GTI and the '16 R was worth it to get the R. And with prices like they are for the '17 Sports, even more so.

I did cross shop them with an M235i though, and if you don't need a hatch and you're in that price bracket with the Golf R, you should think about checking that car out.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
You FiST guys didn't think it was a thing when you saw brand new FoST's selling for way under sticker? Like 1-2k more than a FiST? Plus there's about a billion of them to choose from.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Anyone have any info about lowering a '16 GTI with DCC? BlackMK4 you seem to know a lot about the mods on these, any ideas? If not, any solid advice on places to check.

A couple months ago when I was looking people were swapping to a VW OEM spring meant for another application, but weren't sure about warranty/mechanical problems. Looking into a mild drop and some new wheels.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

Something I've noticed and I've also seen brought up with the GTI is that the factory washer fluid has a strong rubbing alcohol smell. Did you use your squirters to get frost off the windshield by any chance?
I get a pretty strong soapy/detergent smell from the washer fluid in my GTI, but it smells somewhat pleasant. Definitely no rubbing alcohol smell to it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

Front and side airbag deployment generally means totaled, right...
poo poo man you just got that thing, what happened?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

Definitely gonna push the diminished value angle. I also need to decide if I want to buy out the lease now...
I was gonna ask if you'd already done that. I don't really know how leases work with things like accidents while it's in your ownership, never really dealt with or read about that before.

Glad you're ok, but sucks about the whole thing. Good luck w/ insurance and repairs!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Kind of a weird question, but how long should the battery in the key fob last? I started getting a "Replace Key Battery Soon" warning light on my dash this weekend. I got the car new in May '16 and it's got about 8800 miles on it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, sorry, it's got keyless entry and keyless ignition. I've heard some cars charge the fob batteries when the key is inserted but this one just stays in my pocket. It's going in for an oil service this weekend, I'll have them address this too.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Question for those with MK7 GTI's: is it normal that when I have my fan speed set to 0 and my a/c button "off" that a fair amount of air still comes through the HVAC vents? It's enough to notice a light breeze coming through.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Xposting from the post your ride thread.

17 GTI SE in manual. This week I'm getting it tinted, and hopefully getting the roof wrapped black.

Congrats on the new ride. If you get the roof wrapped in black please post some pics here. I've got a 16 GTI SE in white and have been thinking about doing the same thing.

And as far as the sunroof leaking...on a brand new car? Really, is that a thing? Mine's been fine.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

There are threads going on vwvortex and mk7. It may be fixed with newer cars, but there are some reports of it with a tsb to fix the issue.

Well poo poo, guess I'll keep an eye out, and a nose for that musty smell everyone hates.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

oxbrain posted:

I think that's the Ford Racing fiesta wheel.

That camo pattern needs to be a factory option.

That wheel is dope. Shades of the Enkei rs05rr.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

Estimate on my re-repairs is "over $2000". That's one expensive rear end GTI that is loving worthless.
Is it just paint and cosmetic? Did you figure out why your roof rack didn't line up the same way it did before the accident?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Car looks good, man.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

Agreed.

I love the idea of a type r civic but it screams boy racer. I'm kind of curious about the new SI though.
It's the kind of car I would have loved to drive to high school in 2001, but was way, WAY too broke to afford.

Now, I'd be kind of embarrassed to be seen driving it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Christobevii3 posted:

What do you drive now?

A '16 GTI :rice:

e: I'm 34 and feel like it'd be a bit too "boy racer" for me, but hell, I'm not hating. If you like it, go for it!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
There's passenger side '16 FiST Recaros on car-part.com for under $150. No driver sides are on there currently, but I bet if you check often one would show up. That's another option.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'll ask here because you guys probably have a better idea but has anyone ever put an infant car seat in a Golf R? I just want to know whether I can have it sit in the middle and clear my driver seat.
An infant seat fit in my '16 GTI. I don't know what seat specifically or which seat they put it in (my co-worker had my car at the time), but I know they took their kid places in the car. I'm pretty sure the R and the GTI have the same seat dimensions.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

Can you elaborate please?
I would guess they probably hoon the poo poo outta their cars.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I can't be driving some riced out bright red caliper having GTI, sorry /sarcasm

Although I did feel I needed AWD. I don't have any regrets.

those red calipers are good for 5bhp, yo :rice:

But I feel you. Part of the reason I went GTI instead of FoST is the boy racer look of the Ford, even though it's not TOO bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Do I even need to bother getting an oil change this summer? I've put less than 600 miles on the car since last July. I really should get a job.
Usually oil changes are mandated by miles driven or time interval, check the owner's manual.

This is due to the chemical makeup of the oil and the additives, and not allowing it to sit around in your engine forever if you're not driving the car.