Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Phone posted:

good stuff

I'm in a similar boat to AvesPKS at this point, so I've been reading through this thread. My list is like 9 models long at this point. Kinda glad that there are more domestic sporty cars available in nice trims, I remember when I test drove my first car back in 2006, I couldn't find anything I liked that wasn't plastic and rattly as hell inside.

My uncle is like a 45 year Ford union man, is there a place to look online for employee plan pricing or do they keep it under wraps?

e: never mind that's pretty easy to google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Atmus posted:

I'm looking at getting a 2013 Focus ST so I can have a decently fun and reliable car instead of slapping together one of my project vehicles when my normal DD needs work.

I have some questions though. What is this ST1, ST2, and ST3 I've seen mentioned in the thread? I'm hoping I just spaced it out when I read through the thread the first time. Assuming it's not just another name for the packages, what's the difference between them, and which one is 'better' to get?

This would be the first time I've bought a new car, so I'm sure that there's a lot I don't know about it. I have an X-plan PIN, qualify for 0% financing, and know not to bother with rustproofing or extended waranties, but that's about it.

ST# is the trim. ST1 is base, ST2 adds recaro seating and some stereo stuff, and ST3 tricks out the trim and headlights and other electronic whizbangs.

Going test driving this weekend, I'm pretty excited.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Why did Ford go with the Aston-lite styling for the Fusion, and the Fiesta... but not the Focus? I really love that grill :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Focus was released first.

Makes sense I guess.

I test drove the Mazdaspeed3 and the Focus ST this weekend (hit an FR-S and a 370Z as well).

Other than being overwhelmingly different from my current ride (03 TT roadster), from my experience, most of the critical takes on the two are spot-on. The MS3 was incredibly fun and a bit rough. The torque steer wasn't really that bad, at least in the couple times I laid it out from a stop light. The center-console nav/info system is (mercifully) a huge step up from that bullshit dash-mount 3 inch afterthought in the 2010ish model.

Focus felt a little more disconnected from the road and like it has major steering assist going on, but the trim was great and for a skinny jerk like me (I'm 5'10 150) those recaros are like a nice full-body hug. The clutch felt awesome in this car, not particularly touchy but responsive regardless. Parking was fun, turning radius of a battleship. Both had longer throws to shift than I expected.

Which, in the end, basically makes the decision just as difficult as it was before I got any seat time.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My '14 Focus ST is on its way from North Carolina, I can take delivery Tuesday when I get back from Labor Day shenanigans.

Holy poo poo I'm excited.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah I'm 5'10 pretty evenly distributed and the recaros in the ST fit me like a dream. 155 lbs so I'm a bit skinny (soccer player) but the seats are wonderful for me.

ordered a Cobb AP from FSwerks today, it's gonna be sweeeeet.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
One of the first '14s out there, ST3 trim with moonroof.

mmmmm Recaros. Thanks for selling me on this instead of a speed3, thread!

eta: myfordtouch is kinda bad! suuure is! I'm sure it'll be fine once I have it set up to never touch the screen again.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 4, 2013

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ringo Star Get posted:

I like the look of the scoop on the Speed3, wish the ST had something to complete its aggressive look.

Yeah the gap on the hood is... really weird. All told it's a very minor complaint but a couple of weird aesthetic things.

I loved driving the Speed3, it just felt like a toy inside. And I got an A-plan discount on the ST which brought the top trim down to right around a grand more than I was being quoted (not negotiated) on a speed3.

Both are pretty loving fun.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

blk posted:

On the ST, are the only interior color options all black, black with blue inserts and black with yellow inserts?

This depends on the trim level you purchase, but pretty much yes.

Once you get to ST3, the full-leather heated Recaros, your only option is all black.

ST2 trim you can choose the black/blue and black/yellow option.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah that looks great, I'm thinking I should've factored it into my research.

I guess my folks were snooty back in the day because my uncle, who's a 42 year Ford union plant manager outside Detroit, posted on my facebook pics of my ST "Well well, a (family name) with a Ford, priceless!"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
for peeps with an accessport installed in their ST (really any car), is it crucial to break the car in first? I've always been told not to drive a thing like I stole it until the first oil change or whatever to verify parts are all in working order.

I've only put about 300 miles on and I'm champing at the bit.

e: a shameful snipe, have a picture/selfie:

second edit: no shift-thump yet on my '14, I'm hoping they fixed the RMM issue in the new model year.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 11, 2013

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bob A Feet posted:

About to drive 5 hours to Atlanta this weekend. I really wish the ST had a right arm rest. :negative:

Yeah I'm heading to Wilmington this evening (3 hours from me) and I'm wondering how the ergonomics will work out, first time I'll have driven the car for longer than about 45 minutes.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

echobucket posted:

I got shanked.

Holy poo poo haha it's like a cafeteria butter knife. So... crime of passion / opportunity I guess? What is there to gain by slashing a random dude's tire?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I saw the stainless/China stamp and assumed. Glad you got it taken care of for cheap!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
And the loaded version is like $35k? Huh?

Has volvo done anything with their interiors in the last 5 years? I had a friend who bought an 08 S40 T5 and it looked like a library or maybe a Midwestern DMV building inside.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

akarin posted:

poo poo.. I had no idea :negative:

well, I feel fancy now~

I didn't mean to poo poo on you or anything man, just looking at reviews and such. I love modern volvo styling and I remember literally doing a doubletake with my buddy when we saw the early C30s at the dealer.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Atmus posted:

Does anyone else with a Focus ST and navigation system have a problem with the audio being really really quiet? I couldn't find a thing to adjust that with, either.

What audio? The audio specifically for the nav function or for everything?

Because my nav is incredibly loud haha. You use the same volume knob to adjust everything, depending on what function you're currently using.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Laranzu posted:

Finally found a place with the rear motor mount parts in stock. Had it done. Driving feel is so much better now.

Haven't gotten around to this yet :(

Had a very bizarre glitch show up: when I threw my FSWerks tune on the car last week, my external thermometer bugged out and now reads 10-15 degrees warmer than it is outside.

either that or the sensor failed just when I tweaked the ECU.

Driving with the tune is a little different: it's pretty finicky about spooling the turbo up unless you very deliberately call for it by going nuts with the throttle in 1st/2nd gear. However when it does it's like the jolly green giant's fist is smooshing you into your seat. Pretty fun to drive. MPG is slightly better with both daily city and highway driving, as others have mentioned, but not significantly.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 1, 2013

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Laranzu posted:

Proud to be dragging that average way down.

Seriously, yeesh. That's... The reason I bought a 25k car.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Boxman posted:

I have no idea where exactly to ask this question, but I know there's a lot of ST fans in this thread so maybe I'll get lucky.

I'm thinking about a used Ford Focus (probably not ST, sorry folks), and there are reviewers who openly advocate a lower trim level just to avoid the apparently catastrophic MyFord Touch. Is it as bad as I'm reading, or are these complaints overblown?

It's pretty bad, but... it's not like the dashboard pours coffee on your dick and refuses to turn on the heat in the winter or whatever. It's just clunky, user-hostile, and bafflingly resistive touchscreen shitware.

I don't know what the price for its inclusion is. It's worth very little additional money if it's sold as an upgrade though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Getting my RMMs done on Monday. Dealer was pretty up-front about stuff, all covered under warranty and such.

A fuckin truck kicked a lime-sized piece of asphalt into my windshield on an offramp the other day, thank god it was warm enough that it broke apart on contact but now my car has 3,000 miles and a goddamn windshield star on her :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
uhhhh three days? I went in today for my scheduled maintenance, asked them to look at my windshield and my RMMs and they just called saying it'll be in stock Monday.

I probably own the only Focus ST this particular dealer sold this year. My part of town if you're buying a new car you're A) not buying a car, you're buying a truck, and/or B) you're not because you can't afford a new car.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Atmus posted:

Pretty much this. I can't get above 25.2mpg on the readout, and I ain't going to drive the way I would have to to do it.

No poo poo, I went to visit my folks over Christmas and my mother said several times that I drive "like a maniac" now. Not my fault you live in the rear end end of a golf development accessible through empty, curvy roads with 50 mph limits!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bovril Delight posted:

Love the performance blue. The lady has it on the Focus, looks almost purple in the sunlight.

my fiancee still insists it's purple.

It catches my eye immediately on any other car on the road, that's for sure.

I live in a place where snow tires should be unnecessary but this winter has been incredibly cold, I've managed to stay off the roads most of these nights because I'm not risking cold rubber F1s. poo poo already torques around at the drop of a hat :3:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

smooth jazz posted:

Cons

-No interor storage space. I had to put my phone in the cupholder, my keys and wallet on the pax seat. No way I could have them in my jeans pocket with the clamping Recaros.

This is the biggest issue I currently have with mine, I don't know where all the space goes. It's like sitting in a fighter jet cockpit (which is cool I guess) but I have to meticulously position my pocket-gadgets around the cabin.

The recaros have no adjustments outside of what would be normal for a power seat. No lumbar dial either :(

How does the armrest get in the way of you shifting though? Do you use your entire arm and right side to do it? maybe my forearms are short.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

smooth jazz posted:

So now I'm waiting 10 weeks for my Focus ST in white with the Rado wheels.

Hot poo poo, welcome to the club :3:

I think that why I never had the armrest problem, I had my seat relatively high to begin with. I remember... back in the day someone was posting about anticipating trouble with road trips because their ST didn't HAVE an armrest? It sucks that there's no dead pedal and all but uh, seems pretty standard.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dr.Caligari posted:

Anyone have experience with a Cobb AccessPort on the Fiesta ST? I'm trying to wait around until more mods are available, but I've been hearing some good things about the Cobb, and I just received my tax refund money a couple days ago :heysexy:

For reference, I am just looking to upgrade to something like the Cobb and maybe an intake. I don't want anything that is going to void the warranty or hurt the daily availability of the car

I use one on my Focus ST. It's great. As both a recommendation and a warning though, I know next to nothing about cars.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Folderol posted:

Folks with Focus STs, how's the reliability of your car so far. The ST is one of a few cars I'm looking at, but I've heard there may be issues, and if there are still significant bugs to be worked out, I may wait or go in another direction.

I am 6k miles in, other than replacing the motor mounts I haven't had a problem. My biggest gripes about the car are MFT sucking rear end (incidental to actually driving), a lack of... gadget storage? in the cockpit, and right now I've noticed that the rear passenger doors don't drain well after it rains. I'll open the doors two days after a shower and there'll be a puddle that splashes out. Ooh, also, when it's below freezing your nav data won't load because I dunno. SD card issues.

Otherwise rock solid, I've determined that the FSWerks tune kicks more rear end than the Cobb one so I've been driving a bit more enthusiastically lately. Also it's warm again in South Carolina and since I didn't spring for a set of steelies and winter tires it's just phenomenal having traction again.

v boo-urns! I got a star in my windshield from a piece of asphalt at 3k miles in, I was nooooot pleased.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 26, 2014

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

1791apparel posted:

I'm getting around 20. Granted its all city, small 5 mile trips, and the car has less than 500 miles. And it's been near zero most of the winter.

Hopefully it picks up once it gets warm.

My city mileage is also atrocious, I roll up about 19 if I stay in town because I have a 4 mile round trip of stop signs and speed humps :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

veedubfreak posted:

I often feel that 5th gear is pointless in both my current TDI and my old 1.8t. It's like all they did was push everything closer together and make 5th into 6th. If I'm passing I'm going from 6th to 3rd and when cruising I pretty much always just go 4-6.

I did the exact same thing in my TT.

It's less pronounced in my Focus, there is actually power left over above 50ish MPH in fifth, and I'm not at 3k RPM doing 70mph in 6th like I was with the 1.8T.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ringo Star Get posted:

GarageLine has a bracket plate for FoSTs that can not only move the accel pedal up for better heel-toe, but you can also move it to the left for it to be closer to the brake. Pity it's about 125, but so far it's the only part out there unless you go your own route of using shims.

I don't know if it's that I'm too tall (I'm not, only 5'10) but my main problem isn't that the accelerator is too far away, it's that the brake is too close to me. I could probably fix the overall phenomenon with steering and seat adjustments but then I'd be further away from the shifter as well.

Either way the distance between the two pedals is still pretty laughable. I don't even really need to heel-toe ever and it's still irritating, especially after 7 years of basically just moving my foot laterally in my old car to get from one to the other.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SFH1989 posted:

The car was great, from what I got to see, like a better version of my SES. I'll have to order one though since I want Recaros but no sunroof. Is the Navigation worth it for $795?

Doesn't work in the cold (reads off an SD card in the center console, mine ceases to read if it's below freezing) so if you live north of I dunno, Charlotte, you're better off without. And the voice commands are complete shite as is the touch screen interface. So basically what Voltage said.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

jfreder posted:

I haven't noticed any issues with the Nav during the polar vortex but it isn't a great interface. About half the time I just use my phone instead.

I think the blue looks a lot better in person than in pictures so try to see one if you can.

Blue is best because Tribalism. Blue ST Krew :getin:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Springfield Fatts posted:

FiST / FoST question. I’m very close to getting a Fiesta, the 0% APR Ford is offering is a big plus. I see it ends in early July, does anyone have any idea if this is something Ford does regularly to attract buyers or should I try to jump on before it ends?

I dunno but is the difference between a 0% ("for well qualified customers") and a 2.5% rate (what said well qualified customer can get at his bank these days) really going to seal the deal for you? 1100 dollars over a 4 year loan if you finance the whole thing?

Also yes there's always some sort of this deal going on. Negotiate on the sticker and you can save that number of dollars on the price out the door.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SFH1989 posted:

True but it is awkwardly far back so you might end up punching the roof if you just shove your hand straight up.

My LTD is great for this. I've been driving it with the top down and had someone beep at me while stopped for some stupid reason and I just turned around and glared at them.

This was the best part of driving my old convertible audi, you can death-stare any motherfucker directly, or holler at them.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Coolnezzz posted:

Can anyone who has purchased the AP give their recommendation to push me over the edge? I just received my year-end bonus at work and it's highly tempting right now...

Yes I can. It's easy and awesome (I'm a FoST but seriously) and makes driving much more fun.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Friar Zucchini posted:

So how does hill-start assist work then? I've never driven a car with it, does it just mess with the throttle mapping and give you more power? I figured it'd be something mechanical like basically a one-way parking pawl like in an automatic, or the computer would apply the brakes until there was enough power to move forward without affecting the throttle.

in the STs it's the latter. Rear brakes hold for 2? seconds after you take your foot off the pedal when there's an incline that would cause you to roll back.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bob A Feet posted:

Hill assist sucks also if say you pull too far forward in a spot and you want to clutch roll backwards to even yourself out or other like scenarios. Turned mine off for that.

you could just wait two seconds for it to disengage, too. I clutch roll out of my driveway every morning. I understand if that's not within the Gotta Go Fast ethos though. MAXIMUM PARKING

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Laranzu posted:

Recall is via VIN. TSB required a code. I haven't seen a vin that doesn't qualify yet

checked mine and it qualifies, oh boy more time at the dealer!

edit except they won't have parts in for two weeks. jesus

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I dig this guy's format.