Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
What's the general consensus on the Jetta GLI? My wife's car is likely due to be replaced in the not-so-distant future (2003 Mazda 6), and as much as I've tried to steer her towards a GTI, she doesn't like the hatchback body style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

The Ferret King posted:

What sort of All Season tires do Focus ST people like? And where should I get them plus the wheels?

I've always run all-seasons on both my Civic Sis and I live in Northern, IL. We get lots of snow but our street department clears it pretty fast. I've never had any issues getting around except when we've gotten over a foot of snow and just about everyone had to wait until the plows came through.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are my current tires and I'll replace them with the newer A/S 3 when the time comes. Car and Driver also said in a recent article that if they were gonna run all-seasons year round, the Michelins would be it.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I think what he's asking about is - on VW.com the GLI shows 207 lb-ft torque at 1700 RPM vs. the GTI's 258 lb-ft at 1500 RPM. Horsepower peaks at lower RPM on the GTI - 4500 vs. 5300.

I thought they were supposed to have identical engine tunes for 2016, too.

WescottF1 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 5, 2016

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

wolrah posted:

It was a bit more embarrassing than usual to stall this though, since my hand automatically went for where the key would normally be which led to a bit of a brain reboot when nothing was there.

We replaced my wife's old 2003 Mazda 6 with a 2016 on Saturday and every time either one of us has driven it, we reach for the non-existent key. Hard habit to break after 25+ years of driving cars with the ignition on the steering column.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I'm sitting up in northern Illinois here (like basically in Wisconsin) and I'm not sure whether to get more "performance" oriented winter tires or if it doesn't make a difference. Either way need some since the car came with summer tires- not like I would want it any other way, though...

I'm a northern IL goon myself (Loves Park). Put a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3's on my Civic Si in June. They've done fine in the rain. I had two sets of the previous version before and I never had any issues getting around in the snow. If it's THAT bad out, I just tend to stay home anyway.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

mariooncrack posted:

Agreed.

I love the idea of a type r civic but it screams boy racer. I'm kind of curious about the new SI though.

Car and Driver's spies got some good pics of the sedan version. Not a fan of the wheels but it looks okay.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-honda-civic-si-sedan-spied-news

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Looking to replace my 2008 Civic Si in the Spring (can't see buying a new car only to subject it to a Midwestern Winter right away). I've always liked GTIs and am interested in the 2018 mid-cycle refresh that should be out this Fall.

I ran up to a nearby dealership in WI that has a white SE model on the lot as I wanted to see one in person and my local dealer has none. I noticed an addendum to the sticker that said something along the lines of, "The asking price for this vehicle is MSRP plus a $249 dealer adjustment".

My company has VW partnership pricing which should allow me to show up with a form and a copy of my paystub and automatically get a price of $500 under invoice. Unfortunately, there's a clause in there about the dealership reserving the right to decline a sale on "vehicles with limited availability".

Has any of you had a situation where you should be able to get a standard price on a vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to honor it?

I mean, we also have these deals with GM/Ford/Chrysler and a couple other manufacturers and I can see Ford not honoring it on a GT and Dodge on a Viper, but the GTI doesn't appear to be that rare.

WescottF1 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 26, 2017

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
The more I read up on it, the more I'm tempted to get a test drive in the 2017 the lot has. Their Internet price is right about the TrueCar average and a friend of mine is interested in my Si so I can get a better price than trade-in.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Radiohead71 posted:

If I didn't have a GTI already I would get a '17. The 2018 trim level changes, along with the new ugly wheels are not appealing to me at all. Dealers here in FL are still selling at $4-5k off sticker.

I've got a test drive scheduled for Friday. Dealer has 3 SE's (red/DSG, blue/manual, white/DSG) and 1 Sport (white/DSG) on the lot all are about $4K under MSRP.

I really like the looks of the car in white, so will likely end up with the white SE if I go with the DSG. My last two cars have been blue and my wife's car is blue so it's time to change it up a bit.

Next month it'll be 30 years since I first got my license and I've never owned an automatic as a daily driver in all that time.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Radiohead71 posted:

The white is a nice color. You should be able to get a SE DSG for between $28-29k. If you get bored of the DSG, you can always put it in sport mode and use the paddles. I doubt you will though, the DSG is that good. The steering wheel is thick and beefy and you will be smiling when the turbo kicks in. You won't miss a shift lever I bet.

It'll be different driving something with low-end torque. With my current Si, the party doesn't start until 5600 RPM.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Radiohead71 posted:

Peak torque in GTI is something like 1500 rpm. 258 lb ft. Honestly, the car hauls rear end if you want it to. If not it is perfectly docile. Make sure your SE has the lighting package. Almost all do, but I've seen a few instances of the SE coming without the LP and that is not right. The LP makes a huge difference.

It does. I snapped a pic of the window sticker when I looked at it last weekend.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Test drove both the DSG and manual GTI today. Didn't like the feel of the clutch at all (been spoiled by my last two Hondas), so I went with the white SE w/ DSG I looked at on the lot last Sunday.

Feels very weird to drive a car that has low-end power after a 17 year stint in the church of VTEC where the party doesn't start til 5600RPM. The Fender stereo is very nice (not to mention loud as gently caress).

Overall the car feels much more solid than my Si. I think I'm gonna be quite happy with it.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I got a clear bra put on my Civic when I got it in 2008. A few years ago the hood piece started peeling up about a half centimeter along the trailing edge and a whole bunch of dust/dirt got embedded underneath. Anyone else had that happen?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

veedubfreak posted:

Alot of it is going to depend on where the car is parked. If you park in the sun every day it's not going to hold up as long as someone that has covered parking. I actually had my bra done, then had the opti-coat pro done over it, so it should last longer. Also the older films aren't nearly as good as the newer stuff. The old 3m stuff got brittle and yellow as it aged.

I'm pretty sure mine was the 3M.

Just about 400 miles on the odo. I hate break-in periods...

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I bought a 128GB thumb drive a couple years ago during Best Buy's Black Friday sale not that I needed it, but because at the time it was only $27 which was a steal. Never really knew what I'd use it for. Now that i've got a car with a USB input to the stereo... game on!

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Back to the dealer this Thursday. Drivers seat has developed a very annoying creak somewhere around the right thigh bolster. Seems to be a pretty common issue according to a few VW forums.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Saw my first Type-R in the wild last night. My buddy said, "That's what the Wagon Queen Family Truckster would look like if it was a hot hatch..."

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Yesterday marked 4 months with the GTI. Just hit 3000 miles the day before. Loving it so far.

My only minor quibble is manual shifting the DSG with the shift stick is backwards to me. My intuition is to pull back to upshift and push forward to downshift, but the GTI is forward upshift, back downshift. A friend of mine had a Porsche 968 with a tiptronic that was the same way.

It's not a feature I use all that much as I find just putting it in Sport mode does the trick when I need to get around someone, so not a big deal.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Does it not have paddle shifters?

Yes - they are set up like one would expect - pull the right to upshift/left to downshift.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Drove the GTI in the snow for the first time yesterday. Very impressed. We live on a hill and in my previous car (2008 Civic Si), I usually had to turn off the traction control and get wheelspin to get up it in any kind of accumulated snow. Not the case with this one.

Makes me hate winter just a little less.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Korbin posted:

I have Pilot Sport A/S 3s on my Fiesta. A little on the expensive side but I'm a fan.

When the lovely stock Michelins on both my Civics wore out, I replaced them with these and was quite happy with them.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
We got our first real accumulating snowfall of the season yesterday - about 5 inches when it finally ended. Roads were terrible but I have to say in 30 years of driving, this GTI is the best car I've ever had in the snow.

Even on the stock all-seasons I wasn't spinning wheels through sloppy intersections like my Civics were prone to do and I didn't have to disable traction control to get up the hill I live on. Very nice difference.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
My wife's 2016 Mazda 6 got rearended at a stoplight on the way from the grocery store last month. Guy behind us was dicking around on his phone and when the light turned green, an 8th gen Civic Si in the right lane did a burnout and the squealing tires startled Mr. Phone so he floored it and drove his 2000 Lexus SUV into the back of us.

His insurance company (Geico) accepted full responsibility and promised it would be a hassle-free experience. Last Friday I got a call at work from the body shop and he said Geico was trying to get out of paying for OEM taillights and force us to accept aftermarkets or pay the difference which was about $340.00. Um - no. Car had OEMs on it when their dumbass customer hit it, we're not gonna do that.

If we opted to see if our Allstate plan would pay the difference and try to subrogate, we'd still be out $100 that we might not get back. Didn't like that option much either.

It took my wife 13 phone calls and talking to 4 different people at Geico, but she finally got them to accept it and pay to restore the car. The initial estimate was just under $4000 and approximately 6 days to fix. Came out to $7500 and they had the car for 2 weeks.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

dissss posted:

Did the BSM system get damaged? If so I’d bet a lot of that difference is in replacing that - not only are the parts expensive as hell but there is a bunch of calibration required.

Yes - they had to take it to the dealership and have it recalibrated.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Larrymer posted:

Same here. The DSG is very good. I don't regret not getting a manual at all, and I've pretty much exclusively driven manual cars for about the last 15 years.

Thirded. I was 15 days shy of the anniversary of getting my first license in 1987, and had driven manuals ever since, when I traded my Civic Si for a 2017 GTI SE with DSG last June.

Never thought I'd get an automatic but after having driven both, I just did not like where the VW's clutch friction point was. 8 months in and I am more than pleased with my decision.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

BlackMK4 posted:

I think it was in the mid-late 2000's; post-E46/E39 BMWs had orange peel from the factory, Honda / Acuras of that era are plagued with oxidation, etc

My '08 Si had a warranty extension on the paint due to this. Of course, mine didn't start going to poo poo until the extension was over. I kinda took it in the shorts on the trade in - only got $5000 when I traded it last summer vs. the $8000 I got when I traded my 2000 Si on the 2008.

My body shop quoted me $4000 to repaint it, so I was in one of those situations with two choices and they both sucked.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Larrymer posted:

So far I've been surprised how the GTI handles in the slow. Doesn't seem to plow (snow tires installed) and kicks the rear end end around a bit, but that may be the stability system helping out. It's pretty good.

I haven't driven mine hard in the dry (bought in Oct/Nov, immediately put winter tires on), so I don't know if I'd want to do the rear sway yet. Did it understeer badly before?

Even on the stock all seasons, mine's great in snow. Much better than my previous two Civics. Those things could barely get through a slushy intersection and I'd have to turn the traction control off to get up the hill I live on. The GTI goes up it with ease.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Last Thursday I was heading out of town in the GTI to see a band and wanted to stop at the ATM to pick up some beer money. There was this assweasel in a Challenger in front of me. He kept slowing way down and then stomping on it to fly up to the rear end of the car that was several car lengths ahead. Did this about 5 times and there was no way I wanted to be in front of him so I hung back...

...then when I turned into the turn lane in front of the bank I got alongside him and he flipped me off. :wtc:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

TheWevel posted:

How sad would I be if I got a 2017 GTI S vs. a 2018 GTI SE? I don't know if auto headlights is worth the extra 6k.

Also there's the comedy Alltrack option, which I'm heavily considering.

Where are you located? The dealership I got my 2017 SE still has one listed on their site for $25802.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

BlackMK4 posted:

FA5 is ugly and has major paint issues

I had a 2008 in Fiji Blue. Got the extension on the warranty for the paint, but mine didn't start going to poo poo until that had expired.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

a mysterious cloak posted:

GTI bros: my car wants an oil change in 6 days or 4800 miles.

Which is it :ohdear:

I think the warning is set to come on when the car is a year old (from manufacture date). Mine came on after I'd had the car for only a few months and I watched a video on YouTube that showed how to reset it.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

BlackMK4 posted:

so many white GTIs

'sup?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Residency Evil posted:

Are GTIs still being sold for really good prices, or has diesel-gate been sufficiently long enough ago?

The dealer I got mine from is advertising a 2018 S with DSG for just under $24,000:

https://www.janesvillevw.com/vehicle-details/2018-volkswagen-golf-gti-2-0t-s-janesville-wi-id-26555952

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
So the first annoying thing to malfunction in my GTI happened recently. The red LED stripe in my driver side door no longer lights up when the headlights come on.

Can't find much info about this online at all except a really old MK7 forums post but nobody really said what they had done to resolve except one person had the dealer replace the whole door panel. Seems a bit extreme (and a good chance for rattles and poo poo to develop).

I sent my dealer a message thru the "Contact Us" email form on their site but have yet to hear back.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

BraveUlysses posted:

Call the service desk, those web forms are the easiest thing to ignore

Got an appointment in two weeks to have it looked at and they'll probably have to order whatever parts and have me come back a second time.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Suburban Dad posted:

And the dsg is just really good. I drove almost all manual cars before buying mine and have zero regrets.

Same. I was 15 days shy of 30 years of driving nothing but manuals when I traded my Civic Si off for my GTI w/ DSG.

Speaking of that, I know there's nothing that can be done now, but please allow me to vent a bit.

When I traded the Civic off, it had started to get the clearcoat issue that was known with them. Honda extended the warranty on it, but as is usually my luck mine didn't start going bad until after the extension was done.

When I took the car in for trade, they gave me less than I was hoping to get because they said they'd have to paint it to sell it. Ok, fine - I likely wasn't going to recoup the funds for a proper respray in the trade (at one point I was going to get it painted and keep it a while but the quote was very high), and I was getting a good sale price - so I let it go. They had it on their website for double what I got and it only lasted a few days.

Just for the hell of it, a couple weeks ago I Googled the VIN and it's back on their lot for sale again. Not only did it not get repainted like they said it would be, the clearcoat on the roof is a whole lot worse than it was when I had it. Again they're asking double what I got for it.

I have a scheduled service visit with them tomorrow. Not sure if I should say something. Again I realize there's no real recourse for me at this point, but maybe just to let them know that this didn't go unnoticed may not hurt. Just sucks feeling I got played.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Update - they have to replace the entire door panel under warranty to fix the non-functional light stripe. I scheduled for a day I already have off for a concert that night, so no biggie.

On the upside, I found my old Si on the lot and they did paint it. Not sure why they'd have the "before" pics on their website, but I don't feel like I got screwed as bad.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
What year are yours?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Mine's a 17 as well - thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I got my notification today. Oddly, it was addressed to my wife.