Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Going to the bank tomorrow, already found a pristine 2016 fiesta st with 5k on the clock. If everything goes well I'll be posting that kona blue goodness tomorrow, all for ~15k otd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
If you hit the gas hard while going straight, you might experience lift off oversteer.

It's the best part about sporty fwd cars.

Hit the gas on a tight on ramp and you might experience understeer, the bad part of fwd cars.

Besides that eh, it's just a (fun) car. Keep in mind that traction is going to be a trade off between turning grip and acceleration and you will be fine.

Finally got a buy order for a FiST, the last two that I looked at used got sold out from under me while I got the check from the credit union. Seems stock besides an exhaust, and they already took the st badge off of it for max cop invisibility. Not a bad deal for 14.3k.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Take your hand off the wheel and mash the gently caress out of the gas pedal.

That's lift off oversteer and it's loving *hilarious* in a compact car.

Terrifying when it's your first car that isn't a commuterbox and you don't think it should/could happen though.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ya got me, don't listen to YouTube car reviews for the names of poo poo

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

You'll love the FiST then, most torque steer of anything I've driven :v:

The ones I test drove had more torque steer than my incredibly shittily built b20vtec which both shocked and amazed me.

After that I decided I needed one.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
All this talk of speed threes is making me want to cancel my buy on the fiesta.

Or at least take one for a spin (directly into the barrier of an on ramp).

Yall are some enabling jerks

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Gosh I am just addicted to hearing that go-kart turbo in my fiesta spool. Regardless as to where I am, if I hit a stop light and I have room I'm hammering every gear up to ~3.5k just to hear that sweet sweet whine.

What's everyone else's favorite auditory bit of their grocerymobile?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Guess we'll all be in used macans by the time Ford gets its head out of its rear end.

Dammit

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Retarded and fuckin fun ^^

Christobevii3 posted:

Yeah low mileage civic si going for mid $20k's recently. I guess if you didn't mod or drive them?

This is literally why I narrowed my search to a FiST or a FoST, I could not afford a clean civic si at all.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Counterpoint:

Weird dick shifter hanging off the dash

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Become a manlet like me, friend. By the time I get close enough to the pedals to feel comfortable, the shifter is just *perfect*

The distance, not the feel. That 1-2 shift is a little rough sometimes. Definitely not up to the buttery standard of a 2011 acura tsx.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I've learned that best practice is to take a dry microfiber cloth to it first, and pray during the wash.

Brake dust is a bitch with these cars.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

dissss posted:

You clearly haven’t driven a modern (or at least as modern as they get) Mirage.

Most garbage low end stuff like the Fiat Punto is kinda rewarding to push even with no power and no grip. The Mirage isn’t though even with the manual transmission. Good warranty though.

Even the wife's versa note is fun to push, specifically because it feels so dicey. Hot hatchin is definitely a state of mind up to a certain point.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Buy the rs.

Don't bother mulling it over, just do it. You'll have a lot of fun, and you can call it your practical car.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

ManiacMatt posted:

Alright FiST owning goons, do any of you play hockey and if so can you fit your gear in the back? (assuming w/ seats folded down). Throwing hockey gear in the car once or twice a week will be the biggest thing I will generally haul in the car, as 90% of the time my car is just myself.

I have been mulling over a FiST or FoST as my next daily driver and finally got around to checking them out in person. I had been told I wouldn't like how small the FiST is (as I'm not a small guy), but after sitting in both, I honestly feel way more comfortable sitting in the FiST and the sight lines are significantly better. I still need to take one out for a test drive, but I'm holding out a bit, as I'm worried my self control will disappear if I get to take one out for a spin.

I've got a few different dealers that still have 2017 models that they seem very eager to get rid of as they already have 2018 models in stock.

A FiST is the best car I've ever had by far, as a total package. Your self control will probably disappear, but that's a good thing because they are drat good cars for the money.

Buy the spyder's car, you know it was very well taken care of and Kona blue is the best color.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I'm not sure how the PO of my car set things up to be so perfect, but on the highway my FiST is perfectly stable, and still lively as hell the second I decide to hoon.

Though honestly that may just be my inexperience with decent cars talking.

What's the smartish road to getting a little more from this thing? Tires-> access port -> miscellaneous cooling and turbo poo poo?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I know on some other forums a while ago there was talk of a TSB being written up for the post shift 1-2-3 clunks, anyone know if that's been done yet?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Keep the FiST for modifying, buy the (used) rs for fun as gently caress stock shenanigans.

Sell the rs the second you make more torque with the FiST and don't immediately shred the clutch or tires with it.

Enjoy life with your soon to be unreliable race car.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I don't see why not. I'd start asking around reputable body shops and possibly furniture repair places.

I'm still in love with this stupid loving go-kart, and since I'm being considered for a job that pays literally 4x what I make now I've been eyeballing upgrades *hard*.

Save me friends, lest I make my daily unreliable and Too Much Fun.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Today I was called a "prius human being"

I'm not sure why he said such things but I'm offended that he thought it was an insult. Doubly offended that he threw a milkshake at my car.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Do we all actually drive a prius???

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Buddy if you think I'm not constantly risking a reckless ticket..

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

nah was just curious how dipshit managed to nail you with a milkshake, i zip past brotrucks asap because they cant loving see me and could run me over. i figured most hot hatch folks are uhm always a bit excessive on the gas

You can run from a lot of things, but you can't run from a stoplight when you are in the left turn lane.

I should have shot him for being a bad person and threatening me with dairy, I'm lack toast and toddler ant.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
My black FiST lives under a pine tree. I've completely given up. I feel your pain.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
An asshat totalled my '14 fiST about two weeks ago, and I just slid behind a brand new one. And they drive completely different.

This new one is so much smoother doing literally everything. It revs much easier, clutch is lighter, feels faster on the butt dyno. Turns in like a laser guided (bottle)rocket. Is this something that can be explained away as 4 years of general refinement, or was the old one a poo poo heap?

Which is bothersome, because the old one was still the most fun practical vehicle I've ever had.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

angryhampster posted:

Tires any different?

Yeah, went from the oem garbage all seasons to the potenza summer tires. Definitely changes things a bunch, I'm a convert. Here's hoping it stays warm enough in Virginia to run them year round.

It really is just all around a better car, and about the same amount of improvement as going from a ratty integra to the old fiesta.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Portsmouth, now. I'm in a "white people hood" as the girlfriend calls it. A bunch of my neighbors have fun cars, this one crazy gently caress who's wife drives a white wrx, he himself has a mustang gt, and their garage has a supercharged, meth injected something that I haven't checked out yet.

Another neighbor wants to buy back my wrecked FiST, as a cheap rally car.

It's good to hear that I don't really have to worry about summer tires down here, squirrelly is fun as heck.

I like integras too, sneaky. I'm slowly tidying up my old one under the guise of selling it. I'm never selling it. The wife doesn't particularly care, thankfully.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Hell yeah :hfive: have a blue b18b coupe, decided I loved them, bought another with my brother in law and helped him put an h22 in it. It died a warriors death on the track too. drat fool missed third and put it in first going 50ish. So much fun.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

pr0craztinazn posted:

All this talk of improvements to the Fiesta being tangible aren't helping my desire to reset and order a 2019 so I can hop into a refined version of my damaged 2014, despite it making little financial sense to. I'm glad you're enjoying your new one, SeaGoatSupreme.

If there's a new one nearby, take it for a test drive and give it the beans. It's very composed in comparison to an older one.

It's a goddamn riot on a road near me, "35" through the entire thing, but it's twisty and there isn't a place for a cop to sit.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
If you want to seem less stupid, get the 2 liter turbo accord. Makes more torque than the type r with just a tune.

If you want to be less stupid, yeah the civic si is a fantastic machine.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what if... i had a CVT... but without any of the advantages of the CVT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is most of Nissans lineup and it upsets me greatly

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
At this point you may have to just bite it and get a sunroof since you can't order them anymore. I made a compromise myself, ended up with a grey one instead of the kickin rad orange I wanted. For my birthday it might have to get wrapped an eye searing to be determined color.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
This checks out, my old fiesta had a camry dent when I got it. Four months later I get taken out in my neighborhood by someone running a stop sign.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
The focus/fiesta st as well. New they have some killer discounts since they are being discontinued in America.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Quite A Tool posted:

Lol i wish I could say my Fiesta might have a slight rattle somewhere. Seattle roads are horrible but even so this thing is basically a maraca.

The build quality on these things is so variable it makes my heart hurt. My 14 had no rattles but the wind noise was intense and there was a crazy whistle above 70 that I assume was a panel gap being *just* the right size.

My new 18 is comparatively silent and much comfier, but my "auto" hvac has already broken and one of the USB ports shorted in 2100 miles.

Thank god for warranties.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
My wife had us walk 4 times during negotiations while complaining about the price of the extended warranty/service plan until we got it for the princely sum of 500 dollars. By the time the warranty is up I'll have been through a few sets of tires, 11 or 12 oil changes, multiple sets of pads, a clutch, and miscellaneous other poo poo I won't have had to pay for. Definitely a steal, but I drat sure won't keep this thing after the warranty expires except as a track car.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
^^ the suspension changes were a serious quality of life improvement over the 14, I highly recommend getting a new one.

Bentai posted:

Every time I think I'm sold on a FiST, I see these horror stories and it's right back to square one. :(

Reliable, fun, cheap. Pick two.

My brand new 2018 FiST was 20k out the door with a full extended warranty/service plan, so I can't complain at all.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 28, 2018

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

wolrah posted:

They are mechanically pretty much rock solid, but when it comes to squeak and rattle type stuff they're still a Fiesta. The things that go wrong are for the most part the sorts of things that are moderately annoying but can be ignored as opposed to things that make it unusable.

This tracks perfectly with my experiences with my two. I wouldn't be afraid of being stranded in one pretty much ever as long as it has regular maintenance, but I'd give the ac/entertainment stuff the hairy eye if I was buying used.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are there any other cars as fun and as small as the Fiesta ST now that it's done in NA?

A Fit Si would own

If there were a fit si made in the past two years you bet your rear end I'd have one.

But now that I have a fiesta, I'm obligated to say

imports r dum

(test drive the civic si, they are a drat hoot and I'd have bought one if any honda dealer near me wanted to make a deal for less than msrp)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

don't drive like an rear end in a top hat

no you shut the gently caress up dad

Just passed 3k in my '18 FiST, still in love, still getting better gas mileage than the '14 even though I'm babying it way less since I have the stupid warranty to cover me when I grenade the clutch.