Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Extended bumper to bumper for basically free my friend. I spent a long, long time bugging the service department over what will and won't be covered, and different reasons poo poo like the clutch wouldn't be covered. Unless I slip it at 5k for a half hour I'm good.

e: I still bug them weekly just because sometimes I get to test drive something I'd never buy, in ways that no one should ever test drive a vehicle. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
The FiST gets around being a dick in 6th quite elegantly with really short gears. I'm spinning around 2700 while going 60.

Would I stomp it from there? God no. Could I safely? Possibly? Maybe? I'm not dumb enough to try?

It feels like a problem to be solved with materials, since the vast majority of people aren't going to educate themselves or change.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
^^ carplay/android auto is a loving gamechanger if you have to deal with nav or have a big library of music.

The unlimited money - pure stupidity idea for the kickdown switch would have to be wiring it to a crazy rear end stereo setup in the hatch, with a head unit that can only play the initial d soundtrack and seizure inducing underglow.

Ended up driving in below freezing temps for a few hours on the stock fiesta st summer tires, the potenza re050a's. Taking it at a slow normal speed was fine, the grip wasn't all there but I never activated abs or stability control. It instilled a lot of confidence to know that as long as the roads are clear, they'll be fine enough to go point a - point b until I break down and get another set of rims to put winters on.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Delivery dude had a FiST and parked behind mine.

"nice car"
"you too"
"ever get stopped by a cop?"
"not in this"
:hfive:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
The film might help it stay in one piece after a rock slams into it, but it's still going to spider and crack.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
low speed pre ignition is just a myth perpetuated by car companies to keep boost low to sell more highly tuned halo cars

why do diesels work if lspi is bad huh answer that smart guy

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Trial by (clutch) fire is the best possible way to learn quickly. It doesn't even have to be your only car, just take an uber to go actually pick up the car you just bought.

You'll learn well enough to get around by the time you make it back to your driveway.

Just remember to disengage the parking brake or things will be exponentially more difficult than they should be until you figure it out.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
If you end up modifying that R, that clutch is going to transition from a 2-3 time job over its life, to an every couple year wear item anyway. Don't worry about it, and learn/enjoy your car. Anyone that gives you guff can suck a fart out of your rear end, it's your car.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

SolusLunes posted:

Turns out the Focus ST has airbags for your knees. Ask me how I know.

...God, I want another.

The only reason I settled on a fiesta instead of a focus was the side skirts making the ride height look lower than it really is, the wife didn't like the idea of such a low car since once every five years ive got to drive her through 6" of snow to get to work.

The knee airbags are such a good idea, I was honestly upset that the fiesta doesn't have them. How did they hold up for you? Any damage besides a bit of tenderness in the knee/Leg after the fact? I'm really glad you two are OK, though. poo poo is loving scary.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I dont remember who did it, but one manufacturer even beefed up only one side of the crash supports of a car to game the test in certain markets that care about it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Buy a crz then k swap it to make it the car we deserved

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

pr0craztinazn posted:

US Fiestas have knee airbags on the driver's side. If yours doesn't, I'd be concerned.

Well how about that. It's not on any of the documentation I have, and the stamp in the plastic saying it isn't in the same place. Instead of being printed almost on the door, it's on the very far back edge under the wheel. Had to climb in upside down to find it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
The 2.7 ranger has some pep and is altogether too smooth for what it is. I'd heartily recommend one, having researched for thirty seconds and given one the beans during a test drive.

It's also not too terribly big, I could easily whip it into a spot coming directly from my fiesta.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

so since I have to take the fist in to get the stupid blend door actuators fixed I was pondering bad car decisions, would it be more fun to do a full montune MRX turbo upgrade and put some big brakes on it for rocket go kart action, or should I just get an RS and not fuss with it?

Rocket go kart every time. I sincerely doubt I'll like or enjoy another car like this. It's just so drat small feeling, bigger and more powerful cars feel nowhere near as agile.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
That sucks. I actually ended up with the base seats because of Mrs. Goat, but she still doesn't like them. She tolerates them though, which is good enough for the short trips. Long trips we get to take her piece of poo poo versa since it's slightly better on gas and she can't drive stick/doesn't want to learn much.

It upsets me that the stereo in her car is so much better.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Going to go with an lsd and stickier tires to give you some hope of traction?

Once you upgrade your fist, prove to her why bolsters are necessary. :getin:

I'm not allowed to do that anymore with the Mrs, but the girlfriend screams, laughs, giggles, and sometimes cries. There's a really tight, winding road that leads to the ocean a little while away, and this car just shines when no one else is on it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
They are incredible machines for the price. Depreciation has absolutely destroyed them, there are a few with less than 40k near me for 12k.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

i will take the last 2 please.

Partycar supremacy :whatup:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Tire rack now stocks rpf-1s in bronze for the FiST in 15-17" sizes.

Since I curbed the gently caress out of one wheel, I am sorely tempted.

E: I'M À FOOL IGNORE ME

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 17, 2019

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I got lied to by a search list. The pontiac g5 coupe has 4x100, not the 4x108 we need.

God. drat. It.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
You should drive a veloster n, then. It's an absolute riot.

I've decided to go for 15" steel wheels and "decent" all seasons. The comfort and piece of mind gained will vastly outstrip the extra fun to be had on 200$ à corner summers wrapped around (comparitively) big painted rims.

It'll also make the red calipers look giant. Can't say no to that.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I've decided to go for 15" steel wheels and "decent" all seasons. The comfort and piece of mind gained will vastly outstrip the extra fun to be had on 200$ à corner summers wrapped around (comparitively) big painted rims.

It'll also make the red calipers look giant. Can't say no to that.

Nah

Nah nah nah gently caress this the pick n pull has like 5 sets of focus 4x108 16" rims and indy firehawk 500s that match oem FiST diameter are 90 bucks on tirerack

gently caress all seasons I ain't going back

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Sorry to say I am all the way over in Eastern va. I wish I could just pop over and snag em from you though.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Regardless of the tires I buy, I always expect to replace em every 2-3 years.

That's a hard pill to swallow at nearly 200/corner for potenzas.

90 à corner for the firehawk indy 500s though? Hell yeah, that's better than most of the lovely all seasons.

Always take corners at 35 if it's not into a parking lot.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Grandpa-ification continues.

It's so much comfier, while still feeling like it's on rails. Everyone needs to size down an inch if it'll fit your brakes.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Update on the firehawk indy 500s:

I am slightly regretting my purchase.
I can't make the tires chirp in any way unless I stomp it in second in a turn. Torque steer has been minimalized just through stupid amounts of grip. OEM potenzas feel like rocks in comparison. I can't recommend these tires enough.

It's now time for an accessport.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Not sure if Ive said this before, but the Fiesta st will fit into the cart return at your local grocery store.

Yes, it delights me every time.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
All the slightly aggressive looks of an st car, none of the power. You can find an actual Fiesta st for that price with <40k miles on it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Ehud posted:

I'm looking at the Fords too. I actually prefer them to the GTI. I just feel a little hesitant to go that route now that they're out of production, but maybe I'm being dumb. There should be plenty of parts out there for repairs, no?

Thanks for all the GTI responses so far!

My advice would be to test drive a veloster n*, à fiesta st, à focus st, and à gti.

Out of them all I feel like the focus st is most piggish, but that is only comparitively. It's faster than a fiesta in a straight line, but corners aren't anywhere near as lively feeling. They are all pretty drat nice and fun to drive. The focus and the Fiesta feel cheap as gently caress on the inside, but you don't generally care if you are in the driver's seat. The Fiesta also has a terrible sound system if you care about that.

Of them, I'd wager an unmodified Fiesta st is the most reliable (outside of the blend door), as well.

* the Veloster is a weird three door hatch.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
It's utterly loving fantastic, it lives up to the hype, it is lively as all hell and I want one really, really bad but it's too conspicuous for my area, I'd get speeding tickets for two over and they'd stick.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

KillHour posted:

Where do you live that it's too conspicuous? It's downright reserved. I'll come pick you up in my bright blue RS and we'll put on drift mode to annoy all the olds.

Portsmouth VA. Like two weeks ago I was pulled over because someone in a loud beater blew a red light next to me, and they thought I might possibly have been racing them. I was not. I'd have won if I was.

The dealers near me are only stocking the baby blue and red accent varieties, looks like it fell out of need for speed in comparison to most of the cars around here.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Sent it to my mom, here's hoping she wants it. That's a steal, in the best color besides baby blue.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
are you trying to say that's a bad thing

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
loud pipes save lives

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

[✔️] Strongly disagree

The thing is the car as it stands now isn’t that loud from outside. It’s just the drone. THE DRONE.

Oh I understand and agree. One of my cars was a '96 civic coupe, straight piped. The drone is maddening, and nothing that slow needs to be that loud.

But abarths make me smile when they really get on it, and I'm down with them being ear shatteringly loud at all times.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Used I'd go for a gti or a fiesta st, if the size isn't an issue. Both cars (unmodified) are stout as hell and shouldn't give you any problems until the 100k mark or so.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Significantly less is an understatement. It's *tiny* for everyone but the front passenger and driver. Still managed to stuff a giant corner desk, chair, three shelving units, a sidetable, and TV stand from ikea into it my last trip.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Sounds like the gti is your car then! About where in the country are you?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ah. Must have a tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh man you gotta find one- they're insanely fun, cheap, and reliable if you can deal with being in a car that small

It feels faster than it is, it's capable as hell on twisty roads, reasonably comfortable if you aren't a giant, and gets good gas mileage. It's the best car I've ever owned, and when this one dies in ten or twenty years I'm going to cry.

After 70k, the gloves are off. I've got the income to do really, really quite stupid things.

E: you can get one all day for 14k at 30-40k miles. They can suck a fart.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 26, 2019