Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Residency Evil posted:

It's replacing a Cayman, and I'm hoping to split its (the Cayman's) job between two cars, a hatchback (either a GTI or R) that I can commute in/put miles on/put our dog in on occasion, and a future fun car. I live in eastern PA so snow is not a huge issue. The reason I'm thinking of the R is because it has the power bump and nice European adaptive suspension/LED dash that's unavailable in the US GTI for now.

I usually buy used cars, but I am considering buying new in this case because used cars don't seem to have a huge discount in this case, and because of VW doubling the warranty on its new cars to 6 years. 2019s should be just around the corner right?

I'm right on the fence right now on leasing an R, but I'm waiting to see what 2019 brings. I thought new-year models came out like the summer before the year? :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Radiohead71 posted:

Posters on vwvortex are saying January '19 for the Rs.

I'll definitely have to wait then.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Are there any significant changes between Golf R 2015-2017's? I found a great deal on a 2016, it may be missing adaptive cruise control and the navigation packages, but I don't know if those are worth it...

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Residency Evil posted:

When did the digital dash get added?

It definitely doesn't have that. What do people think of it? I've read it's a little less functional than the audi version, like you can't swap where the map is or something.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

PT6A posted:

I think it's cool and good, but on the other hand I wouldn't be sad if I didn't have it either. I don't know if mine does the map, or if it can do the VW map but not a CarPlay map. I'll check next time I drive it.

Cool! It sounds like something VW/Audi would do, artificially gimp the semi cheaper car, but maybe it doesn't really matter.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

^^ carplay/android auto is a loving gamechanger if you have to deal with nav or have a big library of music.

I had a Hyundai rental the past few days and I was really impressed. It was my first time getting to use CarPlay, and it only worked when the phone was physically plugged in!! Is that normal? If so that's horseshit.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So does Spotify but it works with the magic of Bluetooth! I guess it makes sense, maps would probably drain the battery, but it was an infuriating surprise when I had just gotten into the rental with my luggage/cables in the back only to find this awesome futuristic tech doesn't' work wirelessly.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Residency Evil posted:

Test drove this car: https://www.deltoyota.com/used/Volkswagen/2018-Volkswagen-Golf+R-thorndale-pa-ff40f5710a0e0a6b6190c45d1c6bb259.htm

I got to listen to the salesman talk about his old Golf R that happened to be FWD, and that had DCC suspension, but didn't have Race mode like the one I was driving. :rolleyes:

Red flag was the shifter: it had an aftermarket shiftknob and the throws felt short and notchy. I'm not sure what a Golf R shifter is supposed to feel like, but this one felt notchy and as short/maybe even shorter than my old Cayman. I tried to see if the way my old APR tuned GTI switched tunes worked, but the R has different stalks. How do you change the tune on a Golf R?

In any case, the car drove awesome, and I'm seriously considering getting one. They were sticking to 36k for now, even after I showed them a new Golf R selling for 36k in Virginia, and some used ones selling for low 30s. Am I off thinking low 30s is reasonable? I'm willing to wait.

How are new R's going for under 40k? You're out the door at 43k minimum in WA state after fees it looks like, and a used 2017 would be 37k easy.

I also can't for the life of me find a 2016+ Golf R with DCC anywhere in the country according to places like cars.com / autotrader. How is this car so loving rare?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

fknlo posted:

From what I've seen locally that's pretty good.

I might go talk to the folks up in Greeley about the one they have over the next couple days. 2017 with 8k miles for 32k is one of the better prices I've seen. I still want to drive an RS though.

That's an insane price! A dealer nearby has a 2015 with 43k miles and they want $35,000 :wtc:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Seems like a reasonable purchase. Hopefully it has some maintenance records? If not you may have an intake manifold replacement coming up soon, approx. $900 if the dealer does it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Very nice! I like those rims.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I learned by buying a manual transmission for my first car. Only took a single solo drive to learn to check for the ebrake.

The rear wheels never smelled the same again :(

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Side note: the cornflower blue on the GTI rabbit edition looks rad, shame you can’t get it on other trims

That's an awesome color!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
A Seattle VW sales rep reached out to me the other day. I'm on a list for '19 Golf R, which may or may not come in April-May. He said it took until December of '18 to fulfill all preorders the previous year, which seemed insane to me. Apparently the US only gets about 3k of these cars total.

I asked about the Spektrum program and he laughed and said the states are getting about 50 of those total. Not R's, just 50 total VW's with custom paint as they didn't figure out the distribution model ahead of time? I was real tempted to try and get a green R but oh well!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Has anyone ever driven the egolf, or a Tesla 3 and a regular golf? The rwd model 3 is now about the same price as a new R, but I’ve never driven an electric and apparently it’s a very different experience.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Thanks!

I know it's not a "proper" hot hatch, but stop-go adaptive cruise control makes up for it.

That looks much nicer than I expected! Very cool.

Speaking of adaptive cruise control, does anyone know if there is as minimum speed required for that to work in a Golf R? I've read some cars don't work at 0-10 mph, dunno if that's true, though.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 4, 2019

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

JamesOff posted:

Mine (2016 Mk7) works all the way down to 0 and will pull away by itself if the car in front moves within 3 seconds, else you have to tap the accelerator or RES button to tell it to carry on. It’s great in traffic jams :)

That's great to hear! I'm sold on an R. Now the only problem is figuring out if I can swing a 2018 used loan, or wait for a 2019 because the apr's are lower for new/on lease. My monthly would be lower by almost $200 if I go the new route, even though I'm obviously paying way more in the end as I have no equity in it. How long are the factory warranties on these things, 6 years or something right?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I broke and leased a new Golf R like a moron. Coming from a 9 yr old manual gti it's loving amazing. The dynamic cruise-control or whatever it's called is pretty cool, except if the car comes to a complete stop you have to tap the gas for it to kick in again. I can see the feature getting me into trouble and rear-ending someone because I thought I had it enabled.

I'm probably dumb for not getting a model 3, but it's still pretty great.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Previa_fun posted:

You'd be extremely dumb to buy any Tesla IMO

What's the beef with the 3 specifically? I get being worried about the company as a whole, but the cars themselves seem to be amazing for the price. I partly opted against one because of the unknown of hooking up a charger at home, and the fact that a model 3 is every 3rd car on the road where I live.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

3+ month parts backorder alone kills it for me

I forgot about the parts/maintenance situation. That is pretty awful. The R gives me a taste of what autonomy can be like and it's amazing. Sucks that there will be zero improvements to the software since they're all in on MKVIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
god drat boxy cars are awesome!