Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

There's some great incentives for the Focus ST in Canada right now.
"Ford Employee Pricing" @ $2620 off and 0% financing.

If they really want to move metal, they'll give me a fair trade in value for my 07 Legacy... it'll be too tempting to resist.

I called my preferred dealer and they're sold out, but will be getting more asap.

Focus ST owners, could I ask what you love and hate about the car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Been thinking about getting a Focus ST since reading about the goonmobiles at the start of this thread. Thanks to everyone for their impressions so far.

Finally had the chance to test drive one today. Here's my minddump:

The salesman was great; he let me take it out alone for as long as I want, with the proviso that I came back before closing. I had it for a good 5 hours, burned about 1/2 their gas tank.

Fully loaded. I was on the stock Goodyear F1s and it was a clear day -1c (30 f).

I'm coming from a 2007 poverty spec 5mt Subaru Legacy.

Pros:

-The interior is well screwed together, miles ahead of any Subaru (I'm a big subie fanboy). LED lights everywhere, to nice effect. Do these cars stay tight or do they develop creaks and rattles?

-Plenty of legroom. I have long legs and it's a big reason why I'm passing on a 2014 WRX (the other being the utterly embarrassing interior).

-First FWD car I've driven without a nose heavy "plowing" feel. I can't remember if the GTI I tested last year felt nose heavy, I only remember it being devoid of any soul.

-It corners flat and just sticks to the road.

-I was afraid of the wide turning circle. The big test for me was the parking I have to back into at home. No problem.
Need to do 3 point turns more often. That's the price you pay I suppose.

-Amazing supple suspension. Firm, very little body roll, sharp turn in, yet soaks up bumps with cool sophistication.

-with 1.8 turns lock to lock steering I was afraid it would feel darty. Not the case.

-good stereo and I like MFT. The caveat being I'm coming from a Subaru so should not be trusted to give any opinion on car stereo or tech.

-Nice clutch with progressive engagement. Easy to drive smoothly, unlike my Leggy, "...oh you want a smooth 1-2 upshift? Haha why don't I smack you upside the head instead?".

-I like the styling. It's got a great rear end and looks good in white.

Cons

-I want to love them but man, do the Recaros make my lower back ache!
I'm desperately telling myself they'll break in and I'll get used to them. In Canada you can only get the ST with Recaros.

-No interor storage space. I had to put my phone in the cupholder, my keys and wallet on the pax seat. No way I could have them in my jeans pocket with the clamping Recaros.

-Yup that arm rest really gets in the way of shifting.
I saw a Ford Racing short shifter for the ST that would solve the issue, but you really need to tear apart the interior trim bits to install. I'm afraid of taking apart the trim, breaking clips and the interior getting all squeaky and rattly?

-Speaking of shifters, it has a really long throw.

-I was afraid of torque steer. It's strangely inconsistent. Sometimes when I put the balls to the wall, there was no torque steer whatsoever, one time it scared the poo poo from me, with the steering wheel sawing back and forth in my hands, the car literally shooting into the oncoming lane. I suppose it's more to do with the road surface.

Drive like a sane person and torque steer is a non-issue.

-It doesn't have the mechanical rawness and connection of my Leggy. Indeed, I still enjoyed driving my Subie home, even though it's a base model family sedan. Will miss AWD.

Well, I'm very close to pulling the trigger. They offered me decent trade in value; I should really go for another extended test and see if my back screams again... man it would be such a shame if I have to pass on the car because of the seats.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Stew Man Chew posted:

How does the armrest get in the way of you shifting though? Do you use your entire arm and right side to do it? maybe my forearms are short.

I found the armrest is too high, so my right arm and shoulder were at an awkward position when shifting into 2-4-6

I went back today and the salesman suggested I take another solo drive and try to find a comfortable position.

Found a magic spot by raising the seat and wheel a bit and not sitting all the way back.

Much more comfortable and my back felt better, too.

So now I'm waiting 10 weeks for my Focus ST in white with the Rado wheels.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 5, 2014

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I was going to get this one from weathertech,

But you're onto something, the husky mat doesn't have a seam:

Is the husky mat slipper or rubbery?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Voltage posted:

They run 87 fine, but who on earth would buy an ST and get less power just to save $~2-3 per fillup? Baffling.

93 for me all day.

87 for less torque steer?

I'll get my hat...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Voltage posted:

It's real deep. Just gonna use up my "black box" wax and roll with it. Not really worth spending hours to fix - id rather just drive it.

gently caress that sucks. I have mild OCD and I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just seeing that.
10/10 for your zen attitude.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Hey are any goons going to one of the Ford ST Octane Academy shindigs in Salt Lake City?

Toying with the idea of driving down from Vancouver this summer.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

mad.radhu posted:

I did a thing

Excellent color choice.

I also did a thing.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Minor gripes on the car. Limited visibility, clutch is...strange, compared to my mustang. Very binary, clutch engaged or clutch not engaged.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the clutch. Interesting, as find it has a fairly wide travel between lugging and stalling. It's friendly and easy to drive smoothly subconsciously compared to my old Subie that needed real concious effort to drive smoothly.

Knock on wood I haven't had any issue wide turning circle.

Yes, the visibility is horrendous and I'm not convinced one could get used to it.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 23, 2014

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

GutBomb posted:

I'm 36, and the only other guy's I know with an ST (either Focus or Fiesta) have been near 40 so your experience is similar to mine.

Focus ST driver checking in, 38 years of age. Bought the car mainly due to this thread.

It's been essentially flawless so far, and the RS looks like a delicious bit of eurotrash. Guess I should start saving now.

A feq whinge-y things off the top of my head:

-the low mounted centre led "fog light" won't make it to North America

-will it have engine noise piped in via the speakers rather than a sound tube?

- like the 13-14 ST, front plate will look something awful

- this thing will cost Mustang GT money ( yes i know, it's an entirely different kind of driving, altogether ).

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

AnimalChin posted:

Does the VW GTI do any of this?

I drove one a few weeks ago and it sounded awesome.

My bad writing; I would prefer a soundtube over a speaker. Apparently the 2015 ST phased out the Sound Symposer tube and replaced it with speaker noise.
Guess we'll find out what the RS gets....

The MK6 GTI had a dedicated speaker under the dash, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure what the Mk7 has...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Our Focus Titanium with the handling package has a 40' turning radius. It really is absurd.

I need to do an Austin Powers every time I want to park at home.
I suppose it's offset by the sense of occasion I feel when dropping into those Recaros every morning.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Installed the FSWerks short shift kit on my FoST today.
Piece of cake install.

Set at 30% throw reduction, this is how it should have felt from the factory.
The longitudinal throws are now as short as the lateral throws, if that makes sense.
10/10 would by again.

snick snick

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What did it run you and what's the install procedure?

There's a few vids on youtube and threads on focusst.org for the range of short shift plates out there; the procedure is the same.

You just remove the the airbox and some associated piping and bolt the plate onto the shift weight.

I chose the FSwerks plate as the bolts install from the top.

$79.95 for crisper. shorter shifts. Easy to undo back to stock; it's a win/win IMO.

Stolen pics:

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Am I bad if I'd kind of like to see a C-Max ST or RS?

How about an S-Max ST?

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 17, 2015

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

[quote="ilkhan" post="442834884"]
Am I bad if I'd kind of like to see a C-Max ST or RS

Would.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 17, 2015

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/spied-2017-ford-fiesta-rs/

I am for this, but at the same time curious if and when Ford is going to over saturate there performance line-ups.

This is fine. I'd like to get an RS and not pay fairy-dust unicorn Subaru STI markups.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Oh for pete's sake, I'm on "The List" for a Focus RS.

The folks at the dealership seem to think it will start ~38,000 CAD; in line with the current rumors that the thing will be STI money.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

So there is a 2015 FoST in Tangerine landing at the dealership w/ Sunroof, Tech package, and the Rado wheels next week. The dealership is running a promo with my (Government) employer for Employee pricing on top of the 0% financing.

Price on the car is $34,135 CDN with the discount. Fair price?

Is that after tax? if so, pretty good deal.

You should also get an additional 1000 off if you have a Costco card.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

No $34,135 is just the price on the car, pre-tax.

Building your configuration on ford.ca comes out to 34k and change before tax so what's the discount?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

Test drive the 2015 FoST tonight. The car is nice but the thigh bolsters on the recaros are really prominent and narrow.

How much do they loosen up and how quickly?

Fwiw, the 2015 FoST Recaros are substantially cushier than the 13-14.

You'll get used to them and they'll get used to you.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

howling_mad posted:

Like more padding and less aggressive?

More padding with softer leather. The bolsters, while the same shape, have more give to them.
It's not subtle.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

Fun to look, fun to play with.

Seriously drive this thing. It's keeping me from buying the FoST right now, just working out the budget impact :/

What Genesis?
Even though it's an entirely different drive, the first gen sedan has always been on my radar. It strikes me as a modern day '89 LS400-
Utterly over engineered and under-priced to prove a point to the market.
Pro buy.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Well, the ST is a hoot to drive and I haven't had any mechanical issues, but mine turned into a rattle trap after 8 months. It's weird, some days it's tight as a drum, other days it pops, ticks and rattles over every bump. Seems to be unrelated to temperature and humidity.

I'm thinking about getting a refund on my RS deposit and making a move.

Anyways my mid-life crisis is in full swing so for Genesis money I'd cross shop Mustang GT.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 22, 2015

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I got a crazy rear end squeak coming from the rear. Turns out the styrofoam holding the jack and spare in place was a bit misaligned. Getting all that poo poo put away extremely precisely fixed it.

Very cool.
My big issue is the driver window. It makes "shimmy" sounds when going over certain bumps. The dealer replaced the 2 part upper door trim, but no joy.

I took the door card off 3 times trying to fix it and found if I wedged some felt into the clips that hild the window onto the regulator, that fixes it temporarily.

Still dicking with it.

The shiny plastic bezel of Sony stereo creaks intermittently.

Both rear doors, upper area has a plastic creaking/tic sound over most bumps, also intermittent.

It's rather annoying, as the car is great fun to fun otherwise.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

White is the correct colour. Welcome.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

powderific posted:

I'm seriously considering trading my fiance's car for a FiST and giving her my Crosstrek. No one near my area has one with the Recaro package though, so it sounds like I'd have to order one. How much negotiation room is there in that case? I've never ordered a car before so I'm curious about how that'd work.

There's more wiggle room on a special order because they don't need to stock it and accounting reasons bs. That's what my dealer said, anyways.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

I'm considering the accelerator pedal mod and the short shifter plate. Seems there are a couple of companies offering these products, is there one I should pick over another?

The FSwerks shift plate is the only one I know of that bolts from the top, which installs easier and makes more sense overall imo.

You'll love the shorter throw.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

It's human nature to want and rationalize what you don't have.

I suspect the Fost and GT have the same turning radius so there's that.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

bobfather posted:

I love my Oxford White. It never looks dirty from 10 feet away, except the wheels which I don’t wash on principle - and now those look bronze.

Edit: and the car’s name is Shadowfax.

Ditto. We've had water restrictions all summer so I haven't washed my oxford FoST in a month and it still looks ok.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

those will look neat as long as you don't have yellow imo

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

IKillForPie posted:

Hey I posted this in the Car buyers thread in Ask/Tell and got directed here.

"Just wondering if anyone here has any experience driving a Ford Focus ST?

I like my Focus ST in Canada. No surprises with the ownership experience; it does what it says on the tin.

2 years in, I still look forward to my commute and I have automotive ADD so that says it all I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hey anyone here have any experience with throwing a stiffer RMM into the Focus ST? Would be interested to hear how things went. I have the eFocus mount in there from the factory for the record.

One of the local guys put a Cobb rmm on his Fost and complained of way too much NVH. His gauge pod actually popped off.