Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CharlesM posted:

Hell my non-Mazdaspeed 3 lost a motor mount too.

Motor mount aside, does that make it a Mazdaslow 3? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

You Am I posted:

There are Turbo Diesel Mazda3s, but I guess the emission standards in the US ban those.

They're not banned, they just don't sell unless the car's German. Diesel non-truck vehicles have been pretty risky after GM hosed up royally back in the 80s. Not to mention that the emissions standards require a bunch of junk packed onto the exhaust pipe that adds around 40% to the price of a compact like the 3. It was a pretty big deal when it was announced that not only was a not-German not-truck being introduced, but it was the very same company that ruined the reputation of diesel in America the last time they tried it, and now we have the diesel Cruze. That's still the only not-German not-truck that's available with a diesel, and supposedly it's actually decent this time.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 8, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Bajaha posted:

How would you describe the Veloster with it's three actual doors and the hatch? 3 door is taken to describe 2dr hatches, 4 door conveys that it's a sedan, and it doesn't have enough doors to be called a 5dr.

It's the poster child for "screw it, we'll make it both"

Three and a half?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So how does hill-start assist work then? I've never driven a car with it, does it just mess with the throttle mapping and give you more power? I figured it'd be something mechanical like basically a one-way parking pawl like in an automatic, or the computer would apply the brakes until there was enough power to move forward without affecting the throttle.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

bobfather posted:

You can do what you want in life but

Don't pay 35k for a Focus.

That's like saying don't pay $35k for an Impreza.

edit: ughh

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 28, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Extra posted:

Choices for lightweight (Sub-3000lb) hatchbacks in the US Market 2000-2010:
The post you quoted was about "good, fun hatches" and you post the Chevrolet Aveo and Hyundai Accent.

Please let my mom know I loved her and excuse me as I die of suffocation from laughing so hard.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Steve French posted:

Not really, since the WRX hatch doesn't exist anymore.
I mean it might be at least conceivable that the idea is that they should remedy this, am I correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Sigma X posted:

Like most manual transmissions cars, the FoST and FiST have clutch pedal helper/return springs. They push the clutch pedal upwards to meet the driver's foot, and depending on how strong they are, they can make the clutch feel heavier, or make it feel numb. Removing the spring means the pedal is only being pushed back to the driver with the clutch's spring, not the helper, which means the clutch pedal will only travel upwards to the point that the clutch is engaged, possibly leaving some "slop" or wiggle room at the top of travel.
So I'm guessing that means the clutch on the ST is nothing like my 5-speed SE? I don't really know how it's set up, just for me it's super easy to tell what's going on with the clutch and as long as I'm paying attention it's great. But that's coming from a 4.0 5-speed Jeep Wrangler and its clutch is so finnicky that I literally have to re-learn how to use it every time I wear a different pair of shoes, just to keep from stalling it, so I may just have low standards.