Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

opengl128 posted:

I've never had a test drive where the sales guy didn't come with me.

I've never taken a test drive with a sales guy.
I don't need some douche who knows less about the car than me yapping my ear off so I'm not paying attention to the kinds of details you catch when you are alone. Like rattles, road noise, gaps and blemishes in the interior.
I only had one guy say no to me, and he changed his mind real quick when I got back in my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

opengl128 posted:

How old are ya'll? Maybe its because the bulk of my test drives were when I was new car shopping 5 years ago when I was 24, and they were hot hatch types. MS3, GTI, Si, etc. Though I did drive a BRZ last week and the sales guy came with. Can't say I've ever pressed the issue though.

I'm 24 and was 22 when I purchased my first new car. I was in my best clothes (not a suit which is obviously your only suit), and very clear about what I wanted. You have to remember sales guys want to get you young. My dad's motto is not to ever ask a dealer anything. It seemed to work for me.

"I'll test drive this car, thanks."- hand licence.
Most dealers at this point just pointed me to the car and reminded me to hang the plates. If they didn't I'd just say.
"I'm good on my own, thanks."
This worked all but once in a 500 abarth. Dude tried to tell me it was due to insurance reasons.
"Well, see ya. We'll see if *competitor* bullshits me."

I got my test drive but knew then I wouldn't buy a car from that guy. I didn't like the car either. Was fun as hell, but I like to see.

Keep in mind that I am Canadian, so maybe that's why. Meh.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Powershift posted:

I live in alberta, anybody willing to work hard can make 100k a year, dealerships will toss you the keys to anything you ask for.

Maybe it is because we are Canadian, and they don't give a poo poo because we are paying 20% more for the same car. =(

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I actually find Ford's bluetooth to be exceptional. Downloads my phone contacts and never misunderstands me. Drove a 2009 300c previous to this car and I had to add all my contacts manually BY GODDAMN VOICE. if you happened to say the persons name slightly differently than when you set them up it would take a dump and make you listen to the options again before you could take a second go.

"Oh, you want to call Jane with a happy tone? Sorry I only have Jane in agitated tone on file. "
gently caress YOU CHRYSLER.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Atmus posted:

Does anyone else with a Focus ST and navigation system have a problem with the audio being really really quiet? I couldn't find a thing to adjust that with, either.

You have to turn the volume knob while she is speaking. Can be a pain cause you have to listen for it and react quickly. Which means she is always too loud or too quiet =(
There may be another way but /effort

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

jfreder posted:

Girlfriend picked up her Fiesta ST last week. It is definitely a fun car to drive around although I don't have much experience with any performance oriented cars. Haven't driven stick in ages so it has been fun to relearn. The snow is a bit interesting with the summer tires but we might try to get through this season before making any changes.

Get snows. Driving that thing with any snow on the roads is grossly irresponsible. You are not the only person who could be hurt.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Kill-9 posted:

Do eeeet. :)

Seriously, I'm a big car guy. My other cars are gigantic. But I love this stupid little thing after a couple of weeks of driving it. The cracks and pops from the muffler-less exhaust at WOT make me giggle every time. Don't listen to the 'hurr Fix-It-Again-Tony' haters. It's not your father's Fiat. Yes, it has quirks but nothing annoying. Just test drive one and see what you think.

How do you deal with the visibility? Seriously, I have spent about 2 hours driving 500s and merging left is terrifying. It is so bad they HAD to give you a blind spot mirror. Had to emphasised because they only give you one.. For the side you literally cannot see anything over your shoulder.

They could at least give you two to make it less obvious that it is there as your only hope for survival.

The Arbath is such an enjoyable car, but gently caress.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Dakotaboy88 posted:

The other minor thing that bugs me is the lack of playlist support for playing MP3s on the stereo. It just plays in alphabetical order, regardless of original album track listing. This makes playing stuff like Pink Floyd, which really needs to stay in order, a real pain in the rear end. I suppose I could rename every song on my phone or USB drive with a sequential number at the beginning to designate when it should play, but that seems like a lot of work to workaround a crappy interface. Aside from that though, the upgraded Sony audio sounds pretty nice, and has a little bump.

Sync supports play list files that you can create with WMP and other programs.

The sync Ipod interface also works pretty well and will resolve this issue. I have my 7 year old nano velcroed behind my glove box. The fiesta only has 1 usb port but the sync system has two. If you reach around the back of the unit you can plug a mini usb adapter into it, and access it by saying "usb 2". Got my tunes, no wires to worry about and nothing sitting in my car for anyone to steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Bajaha posted:

Yeah, it's up and running, ish. Dealer replaced the starter and starter/ignition relays (which took over 10 days for them to do) and it seems to be starting fine now. Of course we just got a flat on the rear passenger wheel, looks like a tear in the tire bead (no damage on the wheel and the flat occurred on a nice smooth section of road, initially thought I picked up a nail but nope, not that lucky) so I'm fighting with Hyundai to get it replaced under warranty (Dealer wants $258+tax for a single Kumho Solus tire, yeah... keep dreaming.) This happened last weekend and as of today the Dealer hasn't actually put a claim through to Hyundai (went to them on Monday) so they're dragging their asses on this one. Other than that we keep having little issues that are getting annoying, fogging in the headlights and taillights, turbo badge lettering isn't lined up properly and a bit crooked on the hatch (T is crooked and the u is too far up so it doesn't quite line up with the rest of the lettering), hesitation on partial throttle at low rpms under certain conditions, a bunch of little bullshit problems.

I've sent a long email to Hyundai corporate detailing all the various issues and how the dealer has been performing to remedy them. We've pretty much had a problem with it every single week since we took delivery. I'm hoping I can get them to agree to return or exchange this one for another one since the list of issues is growing and we've only driven the Veloster for 2000km. Pretty much it's going to be a long battle to get them to agree to anything of that nature so my goal is keep pushing until someone gives. I honestly think that eventually we'll amass a big enough list of problems that they'll be forced to do something. There isn't really a Lemon law in Canada, other than a process where you go through arbitration that decides your fate, so if I go that route I want to have a strong enough backing that it'll be more in my favor.

Otherwise I like the idea of the Veloster, it's just we haven't been able to get to the enjoying it part...

So yeah, don't buy a Hyundai guys... or maybe I just got stuck with a Lemon.

You might want to consider contacting CBC's Market Place. It is a shot in the dark for sure, but they have done segments on lovely dodge and Hyundai lemons in the past. Nothing is going to help you more than shining a giant loving light on them.
Again, not likely you'll hear back but it is worth a shot.

E: or any other kind of media out reach. Local paper, etc. People eat that poo poo up and if it catches on at all you might benefit from damage control.

Math You fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 31, 2014