Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
How are FoST's interior compared to a GTI? Been looking at hot hatches and completely neglected Ford

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

VW's MIB 2 (NOT the MIB 1) is incredibly not rear end and Apple CarPlay owns. It also has Android Auto but I don't have that kind of phone. I find the seats very comfortable and nicely bolstered, and they actually hold their own against the M Sport Seats in the Z4M I had. I'm a big guy and they don't squeeze me too much either.

The two major points I'd give to the GTI vs the FoST I drove are the interior in the GTI looks really nice and is a bit understated, while the FoST interior looks like something aimed at a younger audience and more trendy looking. In 10 years, the GTI's will probably hold up better in the aesthetic department. Second point, the materials are unquestionably better in the GTI. I also liked the shifter/clutch in the GTI more, but they both felt pretty numb. Point is moot if you go DSG in the GTI though.

All in all, drive them both and pick the one you like more. Everything listed above is personal preference.

Yup, I've driven the GTI in standard and DSG and thought the interior was nice if not understated. I also was not wild about the numb shifter. Concerns about longevity and value are tough because domestic cars very rarely hold value, but I feel the GTI doesn't either. I don't know what the maintenance is like on either, though anecdotal evidence says VW's tend to run pretty expensive to maintain.

In the end everyone is right, I have to go sit in them with the wife and baby to make sure everyone fits. I also drove a Mazda 3 hatch and while it's not "Hot" is very much a warmish hatch that is in the running too.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
There's a dealership in Virginia offering GTI Sport for 22k on autotrader. What's a good VIN decoder to confirm they aren't full of poo poo?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

fknlo posted:

Link? Because I would actually be all over that. I assume it's one of those deals that requires a poo poo ton of incentives that no one is actually eligible for.

e: seeing several for about $23k on autotrader. $5-6k off sticker already... I'd seriously consider that before they buyback starts and they run out of cars.

Pretty sure I found that car. If it's the white one it's a sport unless they changed the wheels and it's an S with the lighting package. I'm not gonna step on your toes if you're interested, but I'd legitimately buy that.

I'm not in a position to buy due to being clear on the other side of the country. After I sell my truck over here though it's game on. Have at it, if legit it is a screaming deal

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Good luck, I would be super happy to see someone capitalize on such an awesome deal

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

How many of you would own a GTI past the end of warranty?

That's one of my big concerns. I'm trying to replace a motorcycle and truck with a hatch or wagon that is reasonably family friendly. I'm used to Japanese cars that don't depreciate and don't cost much to maintain. I'm about as far from a mechanic as you can get but I haven't paid anyone to work on my Tacoma yet. The GTI seems to do absolutely everything that I want besides carry the dog(70 pound lab) and baby at the same time which is a scenario that has yet to come up. I really wish Subaru would bring back the legacy wagon and make a 3.6R spec B.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I didn't see them listed anymore at 22 or the DSG at 23. Let us know if you keep pursuing it, I'd love to see one actually sold for that

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

fknlo posted:

Buying a '17 GTI sport right now

What did you get it for? I know you've been hunting for a good deal. I finally had to quit on my hot hatch dreams because I couldn't get a dog and baby in them comfortably/safely at the same time

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I've got a 70lb lab that doesn't like being in tight spaces, the golf hatch just didn't leave him enough space. He's also too rambunctious to be left next to the infant so alas the GTI dream was killed for now.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Nicely done, definitely jealous!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm surprised they didn't total it. Lucky you for it being a lease!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

fknlo posted:

Got an estimate from one of their preferred shops for $3100 yesterday. I'm going to go with the other shop since that's where I would have had the car taken had I been in KC. I don't think they're going to like that.

gently caress'em, they can take it up with their last lovely preferred shop that hacked your car back together

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

fknlo posted:

More quality repair work :allears:

I'm going to try to get out of this loving thing once it's re-repaired. See if they'll let me out if I buy an R or something.

Never has someone dodged a bullet by leasing as much as you have. Thank God they didn't match Sheehy's price on that car

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

WescottF1 posted:

Looking to replace my 2008 Civic Si in the Spring (can't see buying a new car only to subject it to a Midwestern Winter right away). I've always liked GTIs and am interested in the 2018 mid-cycle refresh that should be out this Fall.

I ran up to a nearby dealership in WI that has a white SE model on the lot as I wanted to see one in person and my local dealer has none. I noticed an addendum to the sticker that said something along the lines of, "The asking price for this vehicle is MSRP plus a $249 dealer adjustment".

My company has VW partnership pricing which should allow me to show up with a form and a copy of my paystub and automatically get a price of $500 under invoice. Unfortunately, there's a clause in there about the dealership reserving the right to decline a sale on "vehicles with limited availability".

Has any of you had a situation where you should be able to get a standard price on a vehicle only to have the dealer refuse to honor it?

I mean, we also have these deals with GM/Ford/Chrysler and a couple other manufacturers and I can see Ford not honoring it on a GT and Dodge on a Viper, but the GTI doesn't appear to be that rare.

People are buying these for $5k under MSRP regularly. If they don't want to sell a car find a different dealership.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

VW partner price is kinda poo poo IMO, its giving me 1620 off msrp, truecar does 1570 and i'm guessing costco isn't any better.

How much you can get off retail is really dependent on where you live and if you want the 0.9% APR you will pay a higher price to get that rate. most of the discounted prices shown online are for cash or if you take the 2.9% (or higher) non promo APR.

lol the truecar discount also takes into account if the dealer adds a hosed up markup on top, i see exactly 2570 off at a dealer in seattle

Truecar puts a GTI Sport w/ DSG at 30235 and actual price at 26.5. I have a friend that bought that exact car last month for 26.5. That's the top of what you should be paying. So only 3700 on the hood

e. In Seattle since I know you're local

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

red19fire posted:

I didn't know Lexus made a hot hatch that's reasonably affordable (to me) and a hybrid? What is the CT200h like, and would I be insane to sell/trade my 2016 Honda Fit for a 2017 model?

It's a tarted up prius that is not "hot" and is not up to regular Lexus quality fit and finish. Avoid.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

excellent, maybe i can drive the s2k up there and not worry. soon, soon.

I believe emissions testing ends January 1st, 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

KillHour posted:

Good thing we all live in one of those places :suicide:

Speaking of, hows the Aston?