Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Cross posting from my project thread:

So, in the interest of getting a reliable daily driver, I had a few options. Was looking at the local auctions for something nice to go through and there were some deals I missed but there's always the chance of hidden damage and unexpected costs so I'm not too bummed about it. There was an 04 Mazda 3 w/ 130k km the other week with hail damage, looked really nice but people went nuts for it and it went for over $4500 before tax, for a 10 year old hail damaged car. Locally I've seen a few on Kijiji asking between 3k-5k for similar ones.

Started thinking of financing something newer than 2010 so I looked at a few used dealers but didn't find anything too great for the prices. Mazda 3's seemed to be the go-to as I was checking out 2 2010 ones but after financing they were north of $16k. That's within spitting distance of some cheaper new cars, and you get a warranty with anything new, so me and my fiance started looking at new. We settled on the Veloster as the compromise between sporty, practical, quirky, and affordable. After getting jerked around at one dealer where the sticker price of $19k balooned to over $27.8k for a grey automatic base(colour and trans we weren't too excited about but we were ok with), we went to a competing dealer and ended up with a blue 6mt fully loaded turbo for just under $27k w/ 0% financing. OTD price ended up around $31k (The pricing you US guys get just south of the border is unfair :cry:)

So far we're loving it, lets hope it treats us right.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Larrymer posted:

How you go from looking at 3-5k cars to 31k is incredible.

It's a surprisingly slippery slope once you start looking at what just a little bit more will get you. Rather than being a linear progression it was more jumping around and trying to weigh out options, in the end it seemed more attractive to go for a more expensive longer term solution i.e. a new car (having the benefits of a warranty, low initial investment, low cost of borrowing, low maintenance costs, and satisfying a lot of wants) so that I could focus on working on and enjoying my project car rather than trying to improve upon and dealing with various small (or potentially larger) issues that would pop up on a cheap older car.

Unfortunately I don't have $12k-$15k cash on hand so a used 2010+ car would be financed, at that point the cost of borrowing is too high for my tastes and the benefit of just being newer and nicer, without a warranty and with a possibly sketchy history, isn't enough. The auctions are really hit and miss when it comes to deals (I've seen bids go higher on wrecks than a nice used example is worth, auto Honda's and Toyota's are what people usually go crazy high for) and you still gamble with how accurate you can estimate the cost and the time to repair it all. It just so happened I wasn't around to snag something I felt was a good deal this time around before we pulled the trigger on the Veloster.

The Veloster should be worry free for next good couple years, just gas and oil (and other wear items as their used up), pretty much serving the purpose of driving appliance without being just another boring econobox and making me want to take a nap behind the wheel every time I drive it (I'm looking at you Toyota Corolla & Camry). It was withing the budget that we set out, satisfying what we need from a non-project car and it's got all the fun stuff to keep us interested like a turbo, heated leather seats, keyless entry and pushbutton start, panoramic sunroof, etc. I really wanted the toyobaru but I knew I wouldn't be able to stop myself from modifying it and I'd run the risk of having two unreliable projects on my hands.

That's pretty much my story of the mental gymnastics involved with that huge shopping price range I was looking at.

So onto discussing the actual car. The turning radius is nice-n-tighttm, ride comfort is good especially on our crappy pothole littered roads, the little 1.6 turbo is quite peppy and almost no lag (probably thanks to the twin scroll setup) and in such a small car it's more than enough to make it feel fun, the seats are pretty comfy and the heating elements definitely do a good job, might take a while to get used to where all the buttons are as there are quite a few, the backup camera is really nice since the split rear window can be difficult to see out of when reversing, gearbox feels nice, the thing feels really nice on turns. Honestly don't have any real complaints so far, I guess I'll see in the next few months if anything changes.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Timmy Cruise posted:

That is without taxes, fees, etc. The $38,169 would be the final cost and includes all of that (with Saskatchewan taxes which are 10%), keeping in mind that it does not include any financing cost. The cash at $33,769 has a $4,000 discount, before taxes.

Manitoba is even worst at 13% tax, and every single car I've looked at has a just under $1600 freight charge(so dealers see it as non negotiable), plus whatever they want to charge for a block heater and the bullshit dealer fees. Even bargaining them down won't get you close to the US pricing.

Just looked up how much a base WRX would cost here, 41.2k otd financed at 1.9% for 5 years, the STI is 54.4k otd for the same term, both of these are without any pre installed accessories like a block heater, or battery warmer, etc.

For the otd price of the Veloster the highest trim Impreza I could get is a sedan sport package. The sport hatch ends up almost 2k more than that.

So yeah, Canadian pricing sucks. At least insurance isn't insane in Manitoba, at least on cars, it's actually cheaper by about $100 to insure the Veloster turbo over the base.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wow. I feel much better about your purchase at least. At first I thought the dealer had swindled you, but now I see it was probably actually a decent deal

Yeah, we get fleeced by every dealer in Canada compared to the US. Relatively speaking I feel we got a pretty good deal all things considered, but yeah comparing to US pricing it can definitely be shocking.

Edit: If you want some more reference points, just to make a somewhat complete list of various new hot hatches (all similarly spec-ed):

Fiat 500 Turbo $26.8k OTD 1.9% finance
Veloster Turbo $31k OTD 0% finance
Fiat 500 Abarth $31.2k OTD 1.9% finance
Ford Fiesta ST $33k OTD 0% finance
Ford Focus ST $38.2k OTD 0.9% finance
MazdaSpeed 3 $39k OTD + financing
Mini Cooper S $39.1k OTD 1.9% finance
Subaru WRX $41.2k OTD 1.9% finance
VW Golf GTI $45k OTD 3.9% finance
Mini Cooper Works $50.2k OTD 3.9% finance
Subaru STI $54.4k OTD 1.9% finance

Sucks buying a new (fun) car in Manitoba.

I really liked the Fiat but my fiance can't stand it's styling so it was out of the running.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 24, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So I'm pleasantly surprised, reading through the manual, it looks like the Veloster Turbo takes regular 87 octane gas. I guess the GDi tech lets them get away with lower octane in a turbo motor, just was expecting that 91+ would be recommended as with most other turbo cars. I made the mistake of looking at various veloster forums to see if the motor responds well to premium even though it's recommended 87 (being a turbo motor you'd think it would adjust tune if it's fed higher grade fuel) and holy poo poo, those forums are worst black holes of misinformation and poorly thought out arguments than the subaru forums :drat:

Anyway, it's a long shot but, is there an owners forum that has a half decent signal to noise ratio?

And on the GDi front, do the new ones still have issues with intake valve carbon buildup? I remember hearing that about early GDi motor's and I think I heard that Lexus was one of the first to use a second set of injectors to keep the valves clean but I haven't heard much since about the issue, haven't really looked around either though.

And here, have another pic

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Sepist posted:

I have an unpopular opinion about people who drop 30k on a new car but don't want to spend a few extra dollars on the right kind of gas for it..

That's the thing though, if it's recommended 91+ and you're putting in 87 then I agree with you, but if the motor was designed to run on both 87 and 91+ and is just rated a few hp more on 91+ then I don't really see the harm. Especially I'm the case of the Hyundai where the manual recommends 87 and the power was rated using 87 in the tank. It's nice that 91+ gives a hp boost but if your mileage is the same and you're mostly commuting then why spend the extra if it was designed for 87 anyway?

I can see it surprising people, especially since we're used to expecting performance and turbocharged motors to require premium, but if the tech has changed and running regular doesn't result in pinging with the ecu pulling a lot of timing and getting terrible mileage as a result, then spending the extra money for premium doesn't make a lot of sense for the average commuter.

Similar to how throwing premium into something designed for regular is considered foolish, the difference being that now performance engines are getting designed around regular but can actually take advantage of the benefits of premium.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So it's proven the Ford ST's produce more power on premium, does the Veloster turbo do to? Manual has no mention of premium fuel and online I couldn't find a definitive answer. I'd believe it should, modern ecu and all, but it's weird that Hyundai doesn't advertise a higher hp figure like the Ford's do when run on premium.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

In case anyone missed my hot hatch woe's in other threads, here I am, bitching about the new car again.

This is not how I wanted to spend a saturday:

This was supposed to be the reliable daily driver :argh:, the whole point of taking the initial depreciation hit on a brand new car was to take advantage of the low financing and have a trouble free car :suicide:

Quick summary of the events that have occured:

We purchased a brand new Veloster and took deliver on Friday afternoon Feb. 21.
Dropped it off at the dealer on Wednesday morning Feb. 26, for the no-start issue, was given a base Elentra as a courtesy car (200km on ODO for the Elentra)
Picked up Veloster on Friday afternoon Feb. 28, gave in the Elantra with ~400km on the ODO. Total driven in Elentra: ~200km
Towed (via roadside assistance) Veloster to dealer on Saturday morning Mar. 1, after another no-start. Picked up another Elantra, this time with ~190km on ODO.
Almost picked up Veloster yesterday Mar. 6, but it faulted right before pickup so left for another day at the dealer.
Picked up Veloster today, Mar. 7. Final ODO in this Elantra: 1043km
They replaced the starter and starter relay under warranty.

Total driven with Veloster: ~500km
Total days with Veloster: 5

Total driven with Elantras: ~1050km
Total days with Elantras: 10

I have owned an Elantra for twice as long as the Veloster we've bought.

During this process we discussed with the dealer some form of compensation for the trouble and inconvenience that was caused by our brand new car not starting (missing work, not being to plan our day, etc) and we've come to an agreement that they're installing the Hyundai Performance Axle-back Exhausttm (Really overpriced fancy muffler, dealer would normally charge $650 +tax +installation) free of charge and to my understanding we're also getting a $100 gift card to a restaurant of our choice.

Crossing my fingers that we'll have a trouble free experience from here on out. knock on wood.
If there are any more issues like the above, we'll push for them to replace this one with another Veloster or for an outright return. With Canada's lack of proper Lemon laws I'd rather have a longer history of trouble before I commit to dealing with the hassle of getting the dealer to take this car back. So far the ownership experience has been ...rough.

Only picture from Hyundai's website:

"Add a deeper exhaust tone to your Hyundai with this high flow axle-back exhaust system. Designed as a bolt on application which requires no cutting, this exhaust system will look and sound great for years to come." From the one person who I found online that actually bought this exhaust, he says it reminds him of the STI rumble :rolleyes:, I guess I'll see when it comes in.

And here, have another picture of the non-starting lemon from when we picked it up, contrast set all the way to 11:smuggo:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Wish something would go wrong with my ST to get a sweet axle-back exhaust system! Glad to see they helped you out.

Haha, it's nice I'm getting some compensation for the hassle, but it probably would have been nicer if I didn't have any issues. Was looking at Focus ST's but it was out of our budget and the Fiesta ST was pushing it too, plus there weren't any on dealer lots when we were looking so we would have had to order one.

1791apparel posted:

I had the stock resonator and muffler removed and replaced with a Flowmaster DBX and Flowmaster 4" tips. I've also got a COBB air filter, and a Boomba Racing BOV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoQuWx9pFRA

PS: Bajaha, I hope things work out!

That sounds nice! The blow off valve sounds cool, are the ST's ok with a BOV vs. a BPV? Guessing they're MAP based metering? I'm used to Subaru's where a BPV can make it run like crap between shifts.

And I hope everything works out too, so far it's been starting reliably and no other issues have come up so fingers crossed.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Congrats! I've always loved the body on those, what colour did you end up buying?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

8ender posted:

Its a black A3 with the sport package.

Post lots of pics when you get it, Audi does the best sport packs, they really know how to do subtle changes to improve the looks. Keeping it stock is probably best for now, once you're down the modification rabbit hole it just keeps getting deeper. If you're happy with the stock power then enjoy it till you start wanting more, no need to jump the gun and start throwing mods on it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Goober Peas posted:

Anyone heard from Bajaha lately? I'm wondering if he ever got his Veloster up and running...

Yeah, it's up and running, ish. Dealer replaced the starter and starter/ignition relays (which took over 10 days for them to do) and it seems to be starting fine now. Of course we just got a flat on the rear passenger wheel, looks like a tear in the tire bead (no damage on the wheel and the flat occurred on a nice smooth section of road, initially thought I picked up a nail but nope, not that lucky) so I'm fighting with Hyundai to get it replaced under warranty (Dealer wants $258+tax for a single Kumho Solus tire, yeah... keep dreaming.) This happened last weekend and as of today the Dealer hasn't actually put a claim through to Hyundai (went to them on Monday) so they're dragging their asses on this one. Other than that we keep having little issues that are getting annoying, fogging in the headlights and taillights, turbo badge lettering isn't lined up properly and a bit crooked on the hatch (T is crooked and the u is too far up so it doesn't quite line up with the rest of the lettering), hesitation on partial throttle at low rpms under certain conditions, a bunch of little bullshit problems.

I've sent a long email to Hyundai corporate detailing all the various issues and how the dealer has been performing to remedy them. We've pretty much had a problem with it every single week since we took delivery. I'm hoping I can get them to agree to return or exchange this one for another one since the list of issues is growing and we've only driven the Veloster for 2000km. Pretty much it's going to be a long battle to get them to agree to anything of that nature so my goal is keep pushing until someone gives. I honestly think that eventually we'll amass a big enough list of problems that they'll be forced to do something. There isn't really a Lemon law in Canada, other than a process where you go through arbitration that decides your fate, so if I go that route I want to have a strong enough backing that it'll be more in my favor.

Otherwise I like the idea of the Veloster, it's just we haven't been able to get to the enjoying it part...

So yeah, don't buy a Hyundai guys... or maybe I just got stuck with a Lemon.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So I finally got around to taking a comparison video of the new exhaust the dealer fitted. Here's the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjaRmfB_Lrg

Apparently nobody has uploaded a video of the how the 'performance' axle-back exhaust sounds so I figured I'd do a public service and throw it up so that if there is a poor sap who's thinking of dumping ~$700 on a factory axle-back, they'd at least have an idea of what it's going to sound like.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TKIY posted:

Which Dealership are you working with, Winnipeg, Murray, Focus or Birchwood?

I'm dealing with Murray, they ended up giving the best price and 0% financing and my initial impression was that their customer service was good, Birchwood was close to get our business but their financing department fell through, they insisted Hyundai didn't offer 0% financing and tried giving us 7.9% on a base dct Veloster, so it would have ended up costing us $27.7k or so, a few thousand more and we got the fully loaded turbo with all the goodies. Winnipeg and Focus we contacted but didn't actually physically go to them.

Murray is mostly polite, but when it comes to addressing issues in a timely manner you really have to press them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was gonna write this when you first picked up your car, but didn't want to prejudice you in case your car turned out to be fine...

In the course of a year I went from "hell yes Hyundai is gonna cave in the Civic's rear end in a top hat" to "coulda bought like two used Civics for what he spent on this thing." It's not even my car.

Yeah, I'm really soured on Hyundai right now, I kept hearing positive things about them in recent years, so I thought they were turning into a 90's Honda with good underrated cars that are trying to prove themselves. My family's been Honda fanatics for over 20 years and I'm hearing no end that I could've gotten an SI for about the same as the Veloster turbo.

I've kinda had the same arc of Hell yeah to gently caress :suicide: with this drat thing. On the plus side Hyundai decided the tire is being covered so now I just have to wait until it comes in, no local stock.

For now the plan is try to enjoy new car ownership as much as possible and live in a state of quasi-denial of the quality of the car. I'll keep bringing it in for all the issues we've had and any new ones that pop up (hopefully ours isn't as bad as your friends), I just hope it doesn't end up with us having to go through the arbitration as it seems like a soul sucking long drawn out process, with the addition of sounding like it's a craps shot anyway with no guarantee.

Should have stuck to Subaru or Honda but I was drawn by the siren of cheap turbo hot hatch.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Finch! posted:

More A45 photos!

It's so much fun to drive. I find myself going the long way and unnecessarily entering underground or multi-level car parks. The sound - particularly upshifts and the snaps and crackles on the overrun - seems to upset a few pedestrians, but it also does get plenty of thumbs up. Willall Racing do a "phase 1" tuning package for $2500, taking it to 305kw and 560nm (409hp/413 foot pounds), with free upgrades to phase 2 and 3 as they are released. It's tempting as gently caress but I'm scared to spend any more money :(

This thing is gorgeous. The exterior looks amazing, and those seast, drat they look good. Also not a huge fan of the nav setup but eh, I've seen lots of euro cars with that kind of mounting so I guess it's the style now.

And yeah, $2500 for a 40-50hp bump with the the phase 1 and free upgrades to phase 2 & 3(what exactly does that all entail?) seems like a hell of a deal. At this point your too far down the rabbit hole to look back, it's a relatively small expense compared to the purchase price of the car, and why not make it more looney toons crazy fast.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know plenty of people with positive Hyundai experiences. The Veloster's looks are pretty love it/hate it, though, and the 1.6l doesn't seem like it'd be very thrilling.

Yeah, I'm hoping my experience isn't too indicative of normal Veloster ownership. The interior is quite pleasant to be in, and the 1.6 is surprisingly peppy, small twinscroll turbo so it spools ridiculously quick, it's not the torque monster that's in FoST or WRX/STI, but its enough to make the car fun. Surprisingly it feels faster overall than the Abarth I took for a test. The ride on the Veloster is softer, but if it's primarily a daily driver then that's not that bad, especially if your area has crap roads like I do. It is just physically bigger than the fiat too so it's easier to load it up with stuff if it ends up being your only vehicle to haul stuff. (Ladies and Gents, Stockholm syndrome at work)

I loved the Abarth except for the seating position, I can see it being terrible on long trips for me at least. Otherwise that exhaust note and crazy cackling on rev drops is intoxicating. The D-shapped thick leather steering wheel has also convinced me that I do want to get the same for my project car (I've been eyeing it for a while but I couldn't decide whether I'd like the D shape or if it would just be an annoying novelty.)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Great to hear the A3 is working out for you, it's a sharp looking car and from your posts sounds like a fun ride.

It's a good news day today. Cross posting from my thread:

The replacement tire arrived at dealer and we went in to get it replaced so now the Veloster is on 4 normal wheels again. Talked with the manager about our continued issues with it and they've agreed to giving us a $700 value service agreement for their service department, should cover quite a few oil changes, details of the arrangement will be emailed to me within 24 hours so I'll see exactly what it entails.

Now crossing my fingers I can get the little issues dealt with and finally get to enjoy the drat car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

How would you describe the Veloster with it's three actual doors and the hatch? 3 door is taken to describe 2dr hatches, 4 door conveys that it's a sedan, and it doesn't have enough doors to be called a 5dr.

It's the poster child for "screw it, we'll make it both"

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

There's another clip out there of that one tearing through a park with kids around before this happens, I think the story was a 14 year old took his grampa's car for a joyride and that's how it ended, don't think he managed to kill/hurt anyone thankfully. Another reason to go for the manual option :colbert:

AF posted:

A poor design decision

Sorry dawg, that side profile is total garb.

It's got a little bit of the squatting dog look to it, although not as bad as the crossfire. If you're around it long enough it grows on you.

Anyone here have a CR-Z? I'm not sure if it qualifies as a hot hatch since it's its own thing being a hybrid but it looks pretty neat. Was checking one out a while back and it looked pretty nice, although storage space was definitely lacking from what I saw.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wouldn't it be possible for a good lawyer to turn around at least part of this and have the truck driver faulted for the actual accident? I don't see a stop sign facing the direction that the white car came from... and the truck was on the wrong side of the road.

I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just curious to how this will be dealt with

From what I hear he did it on purpose to stop the joy riding kid, so from a legal perspective I guess he'd be guilty but I don't think anyone would convict a guy who's trying to stop a dangerous motorist.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Pulling Teeth posted:

I read somewhere that Renault doesn't sell in the US, is that the case?

Yup, if you say Renault to almost anyone in the US (or Canada for that matter) you'll be met with a blank stare.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Gunktacular posted:

I just want to say I love my Veloster Turbo, its astounding how much power you can get out of such a small engine these days. 201hp on a 1.6litre engine seems insane to me.

I think its a blast to drive, but I'd like to stiffen the suspension a little bit on it.

I hear the euro one gets a firmer suspension, but for a daily the softer suspension isn't bad, especially on pot hole riddled roads.

My other gripe with it are the terrible oem kumho solus tires. I thought I could withstand keeping them on until they wear out but nope, already have a new set of sticky summer's on order.

Oh, and post pictures!

Here's mine in all it's unreliable glory

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 19, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've tried it, I haven't noticed a huge difference in shifts other than it being more burbly on the way down (sounds so nice) and jerky if you just want to let off throttle to coast in gear, no rev hang when throwing it in neutral is nice too. No cruise makes it a no go for me though, and I don't mind the shift indicator too much, never really bugged me. A lot of the other benefits seem to be more placebo, but the chatty exhaust makes it worth it.

Was planning on wiring in a cut off switch and labeling it "sport" for fun but I haven't gotten around to that yet. (Main project demands the time and this one is supposed to be the no-touching-this daily driver anyway) Want to keep as close to stock or easily reversible so I want to make a little extension for the clutch switch and have my cut off wired into that extension so that no oem wiring gets touched.

Red is pretty good colour for them too, honestly I loved the vitamin c one when I saw pictures online and the brochure, but seeing it in person... well, it really photographs a lot better than it looks.

One more for the road:

Weirdly enough for past month, every single day a drat bird has poo poo on the car. Every. Single. Day. Small birds to big geese, I think they hate the colour, or the car in general, happens all over town. It's supposed to mean good luck, but god drat, it's annoying coming out every day with a microfiber to clean the bird crap off.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 19, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Once you get them really clean, and I mean sparkling, give them a good coat of wax. I've been using nanoskin hydrophobic wax as a cheaper wheel wax or for when I feel lazy and just do the whole car with it. Helps a lot next time you clean them.

Are you having brake dust issues or just general dust and dirt?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Gunktacular posted:

Have you tried disconnecting your upper clutch lever sensor?

Actually, this reminds me, have done the BPV to BOV mod? It feels so wrong coming from MAF based cars with the Subaru, but since the Veloster is MAP based, this kind of intake crap is a-ok.

It sounds pretty nice if you like the little choo-choo turbo noises, and it's not obnoxious on the outside or crazy loud, just a little extra noise to enjoy. Dead simple and cheap too, even more-so in the states. Just grab a rubber cap of appropriate size from Oriely's or wherever for ~$5 to block off the inlet on the intake and zip tie the BPV hose right beside it so it doesn't flop around the engine bay.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If you're going with summer tires, check out the Sumitomo HTR ZIII in your size, as far as I can tell they're the best price/performance summer tire out there. I've had then before and just ordered another set for both my cars and I've got to say they're pretty nifty.

Tire rack carries them

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The Veloster's TC is either really good or really primitive. It lets the wheels slip quite a bit and doesn't step in unless you have one wheel going significantly faster than the other. In snow it's actually not too bad as it doesn't do that whole "no wheel slip for you!" That the nannying ones do.

In other hatchback news, another ridiculous haul made possible because of the hatch

Gotta love hatchback utility.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Gunktacular posted:

How many tires is that? I assume you have the back seats laying down?
Yup, seat backs down, 8 tires, 245/45R17 and 215/60R17 plus a ridiculous amount of shopping purchases. Was a bit of a squeeze.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

First off, it's always greener on the other side and those two look like they're qualified as hot hatches, definitely look cool.

And keep in the mind the FiST posted is an 06, so older than Ford's latest refreshes for designs and interiors. NA only got the ST trims on the newest gens, right? Haven't really heard much about performance models before what we know and love as the FiST and FoST. SVT versions maybe, but they were rare from what I recall.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Let's not forget Bajaha's Turbo Veloster fiasco (starts back on page 24). Hopefully the 15's are less 'lemon-ish' than the 14s seemed to be

Yeah, it's been pretty... fun. Still haven't had a week of problem free ownership, although more recently it has been small annoyances than actual mechanical/electrical problems. Most recent is that we still don't have replacement floor mats, and the two centre vents are broken so you can't adjust them on the vertical axis.

Otherwise, as previously stated, it's got a nice bit of pep, nothing that'll blow you away but it's enough to make it feel pretty fun. The twin scroll turbo spools really quick, no appreciable lag from what I can tell. Haven't removed my magnetic flap in the intake yet, but I've unhooked the recirculating tube to go from a recirc to atmospheric bov and the noises are pleasant even putting around town. The 6 speed feels pretty nice, no complaints there. The onboard trip computer is hilariously optimistic with regards to mileage and the real world highway fuel consumption kinda sucks. The factory tires, the kumho solus kh25 I think, are garbage in my opinion, already replaced with dedicated summer and winter sets.

The 3rd door is really useful for loading the trunk for large items and makes it a lot easier to have people in the back occasionally, there's a surprising amount of room in the back (but not headroom unfortunately) but as stated, not recommend for regularly toting around 4 people. General comfort is nice, it's fairly quiet on the road, interior looks and feels pretty nice for what it is. Sunroof is a little bit of a tease since it's big but doesn't open very far. Styling is hit or miss but I like quirky cars and this scratches that itch, the LED taillights are pretty cool looking as well as the projector headlights (not HID though :( )

Overall it's pretty nice hot hatch and if it wasn't for all the lemon related problems we've had, it would have been a perfect little exciting commuter.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

8ender posted:

What kind of mileage are you getting on the highway? The Veloster is specced similar to my car and I'm getting 32-25mpg consistently.

The absolute best I've ever gotten was 36.9 mpg, which was nice, but the usual highway mileage is closer to 27 mpg. When I make a trip down south, my mileage goes down further to about 25/26 mpg when I'm going closer to 75 mph. In the city I'm putting around at 23 mpg to 27 mpg. The trip computer loves to display around 36 mpg on the highway and 31 mpg city. The gearing seems fine, it's not screeming at some ridiculous rpm at the higher speeds thanks to 6th, I was really just expecting a little better but it's not terrible mileage so I can live with it.

Hell, the Baja with it's 2.5l turbo motor, my lead foot, wighing in at around 3600+lbs, and the aerodymanics of a brick manages to get 28 mpg on the highway and about 18/19 in the city. Best I ever saw on a tank was going through BC, managed to hit 39 mpg. The 2012 Civic coupe, before it was totaled, pulled off 33 mpg in the city and around 40 mpg on the highway.

I'm thinking the Veloster could really use a good tune, the exhaust tips get so sooty after even a short drive, and if you go hard on the throttle there's an appreciable amount of black smoke from all the fuel that gets dumped into the exhaust. Probably would really help with the mileage as this thing seems to run richer than the Subaru did before the tune. Alas, with my warranty woes already, I'm not really keen on voiding it since I know that the second its modified it'll blow just to spite me, knowing my luck with this car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've been using the Fuelio app to track mileage and what I've been seeing hasn't been too great. I think I might bring up the poo poo fuel economy next time I'm at the dealer and see what they say. Mpg numbers are still annoying for me to grasp so I'm switching back to l/100km for the rest of this post.

The rated fuel economy is City/Hwy/Comb 8.4/5.9/7.3 l/100km and the best I've ever gotten is 6.37 going 90km/hr on an Ontario hwy, something is not right, but no CEL and no other running issues other than a stumble on partial throttle in lower rpms (which is near to impossible for the dealer to witness since it's intermittent and they managed to miss persistent problems in the past, I've adopted the habit of getting video/photos of the issues before even taking it in) so I'll see what they say/do.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Here are my last couple fills

Fuelio is pretty decent, nothing really spectacular but I don't use it for anything other than tracking mileage and it's pretty simple to use.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bovril Delight posted:

After some back and forth they agreed to cover it out of "goodwill".

"Goodwill" my rear end. There's a passive aggressive way of agreeing to fix something if I've ever seen one. gently caress the dealers who pull this poo poo and act like they're doing you a huge favor while covering poo poo they should be fixing anyway.

And screw the dealer network in general, nothing but the scum of the earth. Friendliest faces when they're suckering you in and an absolute poo poo show afterwards. Predatory service techniques, downright lying about service intervals, and always deny liability when they gently caress up. There's a special level of hell for those incompetent fucks.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's a pretty simple process, you order, agree on price, put a downpayment on it to secure the order, wait couple months for a factory fresh car to arrive, finish paperwork once it arrives, start payments once it's delivered.

Overall not bad.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Certain brake compounds will squeal when cold, it's normal, especially on light brake application. The more aggressive the compound, the more likely it is to squeal from what I've found. Friends Porsche boxer squeals like crazy when the brakes are cold with lots of life left on the pads.

Is it persistent once you warm up the brakes with a few hard brake applications?

Maybe the newer STI comes with a more aggressive pad?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm wary of VWs, but I'm hoping this and the Focus RS convince Subaru to sort out the WRX or the STI into something I'd purchase. I've got money to burn, guys, build me a car!

Yeah, now that the Lancer is dead they need something to push them. The WRX is great, but lacking a hatch and could be better, and the STI is sorely in need of a newer power plant, the EJ series is past due for replacement.

Some competition will hopefully get their attention, even if it's just against their halo cars.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've heard the rev hanging thing in modern cars is an emissions thing implemented through the dbw, and it's extremely annoying.

Lightweight flywheel and tunes all round!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm stuck with a front plate, but I really wish they didn't have that stupid flat plastic placeholder for it. It would look so much better without having to put a placard there.

I've seen some aftermarket (maybe custom?) Mesh grilles that look good though, no clue on pricing.