Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hatch Goons I’m trying my damnedest to get myself a Golf GTI, but I’m having a time doing so. I’ve got my eye on a 2016 GTI SE that’s a reasonable price, but the fellow that owned it threw down over 46k miles on the sucker in the year and a half he owned it. Service history shows it was dealer serviced at all the recommended intervals, but I don’t know if that’s worth anything in and of itself. It’s at a non VW dealership, so getting it certified isn’t an option. Can someone throw me a hot take or two before I make a mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

18k and automatic. Not sure what the other things are, but I’ll check KBB on it in a minute. I did the math and homeboy had it only a year and a half, which averages to a hair over 87 miles driven every single day he had it. I’m a complete idiot about cars, but sounds WAY too high.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s fair and completely possible for this area. What carries more weight here? The quantity of the miles or the “quality” of them?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So upon arriving at the dealership and finding out the fellow I was supposed to meet wasn't even working (despite being told otherwise), I was interested to find out that the GTI didn't have any of the features listed online. No leather seats, no sunroof, no keyless entry. It was pretty close to stock. In fact, it was a S and a utter and complete waste of my time. I took off work and quadrupled my commute to look at this damned thing. I'm not even angry, just exhausted.

(So naturally the VW place we talked to the other day called and said we get a '16 GTI S with 9.9K miles + certification for the same price while I was fuming on the way home.)

I'm tired.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I could take or leave either, but keyless entry would be nice to have.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

a mysterious cloak posted:

My previous car had leather seats and I will never go back.

There is a new SEL golf we could get, but that’s not going to be as fun. I’ve always heard leather described as “great until it’s a massive pain in the rear end”. Plus it’s hot as hell down here in the summer, so...

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My thinking is that it would be easier to replace the seats once they’re worn if I have cloth vs leather. Granted it’s the dumb plaid stuff, so that’s likely out the window.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Upon further discussion with other parties (wife) I think we’re going to pass on this S and hold out for a SE/SEL. We may just get a 18 if she finds a job before one pops up.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I want to say that’s been a thing since 2017, but I’m not positive. But yeah, they just rolled it in. Only costs $10k more than the S we’re passing up. Sigh.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’ll go check it out, thanks!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So we popped into another VW dealership and damned if they didn't have a '17 GTI Sport with 4K miles for a reasonable price. I'm a tad bummed that it's automatic (despite not knowing how to drive stick) but I strongly suspect that an automatic would be better given the traffic I usually encounter around here. We may pull the trigger later this week.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I was just going to brace real hard against the fake clutch pedal dohickey on the left and hope the tension produced gainz or something.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I figure I’ll wait for a proper dumb car to go manual on. Our old roommate had a 95 Miata that was a blast, so likely something like that.

What’s the hot hatch version of the Miata fan base anyway?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m fairly sure I purchased my home with less personal info than I’ve just given this guy to get this car.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok, I’m one of you now. How do I get my complementary Hatch Mafia sticker?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

what did you buyy

17 GTI Sport. Previous owner only put 4K miles on it and added some stuff.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

kaujot posted:

I am a complete babby at buying cars, but I thought this whole process was supposed to be fun. I am losing sleep over which car to buy. Not to mention that it feels like every color I want either costs more or is hard to find. When does this become fun?

It doesn’t until you’ve bought one and forgot about how much money you’ve spent.

Can someone explain when I’d want to use the DSG shifters when driving? I’ve only ever done automatics, so I’ve got utterly no idea what the point is. Higher gear for when I want to pass someone NOW?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

As I understand it, Lower gear == better acceleration something something power band something something gear ratios. Correct? Sport mode is just for a “friskier” drive and is just a for fun thing, no?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So something weird happened.

When pulling out of where we ate dinner, I put the GTI into Sport mode and flicked the shifter over to the right for "more" sport (I don't know how this stuff works yet). I let the car coast down to about 10mph and accelerated. Incidentally there was a loud knocking noise and a pretty substantial kind of "bucking" coming from what felt like the back right of the car. Given we've had this thing for all of 48 hours, I'm not thrilled.

If felt similar to me loving up changing gears in my roommate's old Miata, so my best guess (and hope) is that I did something stupid that caused it to happen. Car seems and drives just fine otherwise. Anyone have an idea what happened there?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That's a relief. My brain is broke but the car is fine. I think I'll just stay the gently caress out of sport mode for a while.

Edit - What would have been the proper way to go about that? Drop to first then hit the gas? Only do that sort of thing from a standstill?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 1, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

To clarify, I wasn't shifting. It's entirely possible that I hit one of the shifter pedals without meaning to. There wasn't enough time to listen to anything before things went weird; I'm going to chalk this up to operator error.

Midget I have utterly no idea what you said.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Huge_Midget posted:

Engines that are turbocharged and have direct injection can suffer from a type of knock called low speed pre-ignition. It results from the small turbos on these cars forcing in a lot of boost while at low RPM which puts a lot of stress on the connecting rods and pistons. Sometimes some leftover oil or combustion products from the previous stroke in the cylinder can combine with this extra boost and cause a type of cylinder knock that can destroy your engine. Therefore it is recommended that when you are driving high strung engines like these that you keep your RPMs up when getting your foot into it and making sure you are in the right gear. For instance you don’t want to be in 3rd or 4th at like 1200 RPM and then put your foot down without going up a gear or two to lessen the chance of LSPI.

That makes much more sense, thank you for elaborating!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I was reading the owner's manual again over lunch, but I'll watch those instead. Thanks!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Those videos were very informative and I think I'm more confused than when I started. I kind of miss the "a bunch of magic happens" steps that I could safely ignore when driving automatic. Ignorance is bliss. Methinks the self preservation elements of the DSG computer weren't ready for my dumb rear end. (I apparently live fairly close to the beard guy.)

Take aways: Don't push the shifter to the right.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How much of a pain is it to unplug? I was planning on stopping the cords on mine per the advice of RCR, but a less destructive option would be nice.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So it wasn't my dumb shifting. Putting the GTI into sport and accelerating out of a stoplight caused the knocking again. This wasn’t foot to floor either, normal acceleration. It for sure seems to be having trouble grabbing second gear or at least I think it does. I’m for sure not hitting the shifters. Normal mode works fine. Thoughts?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Stutter/stop, rear, 4500 miles, and I honestly don’t know.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

No crashes and yes

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Everyone I know drives automatic, but I'll try and strike up a conversation with one of the GTI owners in the neighborhood if the opportunity presents itself. I'm used to a level of driving that consists largely of "Put in D and press gas until you arrive at your destination" level of thought, so I'm still fairly sure I'm the root cause here. I don't know if the parking brake would be rusting, but I did double check that the traction control was engaged. It has been wet, so that may be what's up.

I took it out on a longer drive on the backroads to try and reproduce the issue. We had one incident of "slippage" which was in a higher gear than the others (right at the start), but it behaved itself pretty well. I'm getting annoyed I can't reproduce it. Common throughlines for these are: jackass driver (me), wet/damp roads, sport mode, fairly recent (~2 minutes) car starting, recent switch to sport mode (~10 seconds before acceleration), and semi stops (right on a red light, pulling onto highway). I remember someone mentioning it takes a moment for everything to warm up, so that could potentially be it. I also wonder if the mechawhatchamahoozit computer thing got thrown off by by slowing down prior to trying to accelerate.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

NC and that’s it minus the tires squealing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whoulda thunk going from a 150HP automatic to 220HP weird auto clutch thingy would make for driving differently. :v: Good to know it's not the car. I most certainly backed right the gently caress off of the accelerator when that happened, so hopefully nothing was harmed.

Another idiot question: Is the "sport" mode that you get from pressing the shifter down once past drive the same as the "sport" mode you get from fooling with the driving style button over to the left of the shifter? The manual is a bit ambiguous about this. It seems one tweaks the logic on shifting and the other messes with the handling as well as the shifting.

Also, wasn't installing the dogbone ruled to be a bad idea as I'm an idiot?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 2, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Given the custom pedal shifters, it's entirely possible. How would I verify it? It's CPO, so I'd like to think the dealership would have checked for modification at some point.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Got my roadside assistance kit from eBay today. I read that the first aid one fits well in the drawer under the driver’s seat in the GTI. Can someone confirm?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Larrymer posted:

I had that OEM kit included with my car. I threw it under the spare where it fits fine and still allows it to sit flush.

Didn't fit (entire roadside kit, haven't opened it to check the individual things) under the driver's seat when put in from the back. 2017 GTI. Is there a reason you can't walk out to your car and try this?

It hasn't arrived yet. The previous owner sold/kept both so I'm eBaying them. Fun fact: the velcro strip on the roadside bag is placed in such a way that you can use the side walls of the "trunk" area to stick it on to save floor space. I don't know if that's a deliberate design choice, but it's neat. I love the little touches in this car.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Subject change. Is there an All Trails or Strava equivalent for fun to drive roads? Also, any recommended resources to get ideas for modifications from?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I meant in a more cosmetic sense. I’m stupid, not crazy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I meant to ask, is there any weirdness with FWD vehicles I should know about? I’ve only ever had RWD before now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Wasn’t aware of the “may try to kill you” factor. That’ll be an interesting change after the couch like experience that was the Jeep.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

God I'm glad I don't have to deal with snow. It sounds like a major pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I can understand the appeal, but that would squarely fall into stark terror for me. Might be fun to try and learn to drift though.

Another GTI flashed his lights at me as he passed. Is this what it’s like to have a Miata?