Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Out with the old (lady pulled in front of me while i had the right away and was going ~40mph)

In with the new

Can't believe how comfy and nice this thing is. No PP available unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can get it below invoice without it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

As for power a GTI you can get a JB1 piggyback and get a good 35-45hp. Its about a 15 minute install/removal and does not throw any codes like an actual tune will.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wolrah posted:

An actual tune will not throw codes. You may be thinking of flash counters being incremented. If anything a tune often disables certain codes (many "off road use only" tunes make emissions-related checks always return "OK").

Yea yea, i meant you can remove it, go in for warranty and there shouldn't be any sign. Which you could also do for a tune but its a lot more work.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The SRT4's do not have mufflers from the factory except for the turbo so it may be louder than expected. I think i remember some of them getting tickets on stock exhausts.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 25, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Unless it hits something but you can't see that cause you are up his rear end.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Qmass posted:

Any Australians know where I can get a diverter valve for a mk5 GTI locally?

This is the part im looking for:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/ES263879/

you can even get it on amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Pierburg-Turbocharger-Bypass-Cutoff-7-01830-13-0/dp/B00CBKBQBE (although the review that says they got a knockoff slightly freaks me out)

Even with the $$$ shipping its still way cheaper than getting a local shop to do it but I thought I might try and get it from an Australian seller in case its even cheaper...

Check GFB, not the exact brand part you are looking for but they are an au company.

http://www.gfb.com.au/dealers

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Agreed. If ab are still intact good chance that gets repaired. Two door skins and a fender and paint.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

Swapped it out for a newer Altima. Somehow this car is huge in comparison but manages to get better mileage. GJ Kia. I have about 6 inches between the garage door and the rear bumper, and about a foot to walk in front of the car. It's huge.

Also, talked with someone out here that is somewhat of an injury lawyer type, but deals exclusively with "Diminished Value" claims. So hopefully after I get the car back, I'll at least be able to go after Geico for the loss in value.

Make sure your state even allows it

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/diminution-of-value-in-all-50-states.pdf

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Radiohead71 posted:

You guys with MK VII GTIs, did you cross shop the S and SE? I want an S since I hate leather and sunroofs (and their cost) but I've heard the Fender audio in the SE is pretty darn good. Is the S level stereo pretty crappy, so much that it would be better to get an SE or would it be best to get the S and then do my own stereo stuff?

I bought the only 6spd mk7 they had which was an SE. very happy. The glass roof is nice, the leather is nice as is the audio system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Don't bother with dcc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

VW even gave me a free thing of vw dot4 when i did mine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MIB2 is totally worth going with a 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just teach your fiance to drive a manual.

or break up with her or something

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 1, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

[.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

kill me now posted:

Oh ok, those cars have :pimpin: aftermarket wheels and god knows what else dealer installed crap. A loaded SX-L from the factory is $36k and change. You can't factor in dumb dealer installed stuff on top of that.

What? those are stock R wheels.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ahh

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

for ~$7k you can do a bolt on kit for a gti and make 494hp to the wheels on 93. 522 on 100 octane.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1.4 turbo is iron block

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/luv/#tab-2

Edit: looks like 2016+ is aluminum block.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

How do the integrated exhaust manifolds work, is it just one port exiting the engine?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shouldn't need to remove the apillar to tint those triangles

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

Don't pay above MSRP for the RS. MSRP is fine let the dealership get some scratch for actually getting you the car.

How did you find out about my "special price"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DirtyFalcon posted:

So I did a thing.

How much over sticker did you pay?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Who the hell told you about my special price?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Does the one that actually draws cooler air even make a difference when the air is travelling through a 900 degree turbo anyway?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Matt Farah already got rid of his focus RS cause its so terrible and its terrible paying 750/m on a leased focus.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Wait you can lease a Focus RS? For 750/month!? People don't actually do this right?

The smoking tire guy did

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Crx or civic with a b16 swap

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Even cheaper get the Pontiac version

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I had a big swaybar on my 00 focus

Oversteer every day

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I pay about $60/m for my 16 gti. 250 deductable collision/100 comprehensive

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Having an analog boost gauge with my jb1 helps me remember to watch my foot at low rpm, esp at high gear.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

joe944 posted:

I never did remove the clutch delay valve and coupled with my aggressive driving style I'm sure it was only a matter of time. I don't commute so most of my driving is back roads, having fun, and road trips. I think I'll replace it with the ECS unit when the new clutch goes in.

Leaning towards the stage 2/3 BFI kit since mine is slipping and the cost of replacing the dmfw is quite a bit more than a smfw. Rather not take a chance that it can be re-purposed, plus I'd prefer more feedback in the pedal.

There is really no reason to get the ECS unit. Taking out the delay valve is super simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

DP + JB1 tunebox makes the same-ish power as a stage 1 tune and otherwise stock. Stage 2 tune and DP is much more.

I like the GTI, I just towed two motorcycles 2200mi, including a lot of elevation change. 26MPG average.

JB1 is really great. Makes the car feel so much faster.