Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Mr-Spain posted:

Nice tip, I'm going to test drive a bare bones no option Fiesta ST at a dealership here that I was quoted 20195 over the phone.

Is the Fiesta really that close in price to the Focus? I picked up an ST2 with moonroof and navigation for $22k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

BoostCreep posted:

You must be in a special part of the world. In SoCal a Focus ST optioned like that is 27k. My Fiesta was around 23k fully loaded minus the worthless sunroof.

Mine was a close out. It sticked for $28.5k. I guess I'm just surprised that the Fiesta maintains its price so well.

The sunroof gets a lot of flak but I like it personally. It's not very big though.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

SFH1989 posted:

It's small, too far back, adds about 50lbs to the worst part of the car, and drops the ceiling to the point where someone tall like me couldn't wear a helmet in the car. My head was just about touching the ceiling in the one I test drove. Then the salesman seemed annoyed that the one option I absolutely didn't want was the only one they ordered them with.

Valid points. I'm below 6ft, so it hasn't been an issue. It is a bit further back, bit as a glasses wearer I appreciate that. Otherwise light reflects oddly.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Dr.Caligari posted:

What Mazda needs is to put the rotary engineers back to work. (....And a new MS3)

Mazda is in no position to gamble with the rotary right now. We'll be lucky enough to get a new MS3.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
I don't understand why people purchase 3 door hatchbacks. Hatches are practical, the least practical thing to do is get one with 3 doors. It seems counter intuitive.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

sadnessboner posted:

This argument comes up on every frigging page of this thread. For every friend-having dog owning grocery buyer who wants a five door; there's a friendless moron who must attack all three corners in his morning commute, who knows that only the lightest, rigid-est girls car will do.

Haha, it just seems odd to me. I rarely cart anyone around in my ST, maybe my wife once a week at best, but still like the ability to utilize my rear seat easily.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Dr.Caligari posted:

Anyone have tips for cleaning Fiesta ST rados? At least twice, with two different very soft clothes, I have gotten a bit of dust trapped and scratched the clear coat of the rim.

No advice, but my FOSTs wheels look dirty if I dint hands detail them weekly. In 200 miles they look like they've never been cleaned.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Linux Nazi posted:

I also got 1.9% interest. Wife and I both have credit well into the 800s, so when they were talking about 2.9 points I told them "I don't know what other people get, but our interest rates begin with a 1".

Haha, I knew I wasn't the only one that uses that line.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Atmus posted:

I really want to get a LSD for my FoST, but not after reading through any of the installation threads. I get that not everything could be a Ford 9", but drat.

As far as FWD layouts go it's about as good as it's going to get without extensive modification. At that point you might as well go with something else.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes, because when you put the clutch in going 55 mph and the car dies, it is pretty unnerving.

I don't know, having a bunch of underpaid mechanics screw with my cars central nervous system for no specific reason sounds risky.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

versus the guys on the line that built the car in the first place who are basically NASA guys right

The Focus ST forums seem to think its not worth getting done if you haven't experienced it yet.

I'm not sure about you but my past dealer experiences, at both of my local dealerships, haven't been great. Damage or nicks to the sill, scratches on the door, worst of all moving my drat seat.

Get it done if you have a good relationship with your dealer, but if they screw something up you kind of invited it. There's several I shouldn't have stories floating around right now.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

whitey delenda est posted:

I personally find having to reposition my (power) seat so irritating I'd just rather stall out on the interstate and plow into a barrier. :rolleyes:

why would you not get a recall service performed? even if they gently caress something up you go right back and say "I'm under warranty you're going to lick my dick until you get it right."

That may be the only comment that gets them to do something right the first time.

I'm a bit soured by my past experiences but I'll get it done once I'm done traveling for business.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Terrible Robot posted:

ahahaha get the gently caress out

At least you seemed to understand that was sarcasm.

But honestly, I like my seat placement. Last time I took it in I'm fairly certain they purposely changed all of the settings. That poo poo is annoying.

Move it back or fourth of you must, but screwing with the lumbar and poo poo? Come on man.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Nice, I see we're twins. Now just get some goodies and you're set to go.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
I paid $22k for my ST2 with moonroof and Sony package back in March of 2013. That was $6500 off sticker. There's always good deals out there.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

needknees posted:

That's what spurred me to look at the ST's in the first place :). In all reality the deal they threw me was pretty solid, but of course you always want to get something better... Right now on a new ST3 (no moonroof), they're setting at $24k+TTL and some VERY bullshit fees (imo) but they're giving me a fair-ish price on my trade. We're about 3k off where I think I should be with all the crazy deals out there, and a fair amount of old units cluttering up dealer lots. If they can get close I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

My big question is (since I tend to keep vehicles for a VERY long time) is about all the electronic wizardry - am I going to have a nightmare 8-10 years down the road with all that crap? Their engines and transmissions seem very solid but all the gizmos are a bit worrisome when it comes to reliability.

For the first time in my life I got an extended warranty. Covers virtually everything for an additional 3 years. Haggled to $500 for it. Too many electronics to not go for it IMO. Just watch the BS fees

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

That's kind of how I feel about all of the Focus ST+ cars. They just scream "HEY, YOU PULL ME OVER!"

But that's the thing, they don't. More people, car people or not, know what the GTI is. I've never been looked at twice.

ST owners, in my personal experience, have generally been on the older side as well.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
Another ignot silver owner here.

I replaced my muffler with a Flowmaster DBX and a pair of round tips. That along with the filter and BOV gives a very nice burble sound. It's very quiet below 3k rpms though which is great.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Ringo Star Get posted:

drat that's a great deal too. If I wasn't so antsy about my warranty I'dve nabbed it.

I heard with the AP you can change how the throttle response is and so forth, which for some reason the FoST has a weirdly sluggish gas pedal (along with it being badly placed).

Here's the GarageLine pedal spacer I was talking about : http://www.garageline.com/interior-bits/293-garage-line-2013-ford-focus-st-accelerator-pedal-mount.html

Ugh, that's the rev hang feature. It gets better in sport mode, but it's still definitely present.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

GutBomb posted:

Except sales tax for the new car. If you buy a $20k car and get $10k for your trade in you're only paying sales tax on $10k instead of $20k. Also when selling a car yourself there is more annoyance, and risk taken on by you.

Tax on $20k is $1250 in my state. Tax on $10k is $625.

Let's say you'll get $2k more for your car if you sell it private party, getting you $12k instead of $10k. You're $750 better off if you sell on your own, but is the time it takes to find a serious buyer, and the risk you take (dealing with possible crazy person, getting sued, etc) worth $750? If you only get $1k more with private party, selling it that way actually puts you at a $250 disadvantage when compared to trading in.

If you live in a state with no sales tax you're better off selling on your own

I just woke up but aren't your numbers off? Wouldn't you be $2k - $625, so roughly $1375 better off? Why are you removing $625 twice?

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

fknlo posted:

A guy that has been pretty spot on with Focus RS info is saying that it's going to start in the $34k range. So, :toot:

The real question is whether or not the RS it's worth $10k over a nicely equipped ST.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

KakerMix posted:

That seems to be the thing people say about these top-end hot hatches. "ITS MORE THAN 10K OVER THE NEXT LEVEL DOWN" and they always compare it to the base trim, rather than the highest end trim options. A Focus RS is going to be a super ST3, not base.

But you're comparing msrp. ST3's can be had all day for $26k out the door. Even at $34k your looking at $36.5k or so. That's a legitimate $10k difference.

STs have always been easy to score far under msrp, I doubt the RS will be the same.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

That can be said of any car that has a normal production line up and a "special edition" though. Gotta pay to play.

A fully kitted out GTI is pushing 30k, but I guarantee if I walked in at the end of the month I could get out the door at nearly invoice.

Oh absolutely, I'm just stating that it's a $10k decision. A potential buyer needs to reconcile that and determine what makes sense for them.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Dr.Caligari posted:

MIne started squealing, so I preemptively grabbed new pads. Got the wheels off and discovered the front still had about 60% life and the rear, maybe 30 or 40. My squealing only started once the temperature really dropped, so I'm guessing it's related to that.

Ditto here. Glad to know it's not just me. Definitely worse in the cold.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

fyodor posted:

So I'm looking at a 2012 GTI and I have a question the seller couldn't answer: how much less pussy will I attract whilst driving it? Quantify, if possible. Thanks.

Depends on your current whip.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Franco Caution posted:

I did not have this problem in the mk7 gti and I am 6'1". That's one of the first things I tried at the dealership when I went on a test drive. I put the driver seat exactly where I would want it if I was driving and then I jumped in the back seat right behind it to see if I fit/how uncomfortable it was. I fit just fine and I was really surprised.

This issue is highly dependent on the drivers seating position.

I've had numerous adults in my Focus ST without complaint. Granted I'm 5'11 but prefer a close driving position.

howling_mad fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 1, 2015

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

The Locator posted:

I can't speak to the 'normal' Focus manual, but the ST is just fine. It's better than my M3 was IMO, although I have a tendency to forget I have that 6th gear, since it's the first 6 speed manual I've ever owned.

The short throw kit would probably be awesome, but since I play in the SCCA I can't do that without loving up my classing. But yea, the Gertrag is pretty good in the ST I think.

I came from a Miata but I'd agree that it's decent.

The throw is long, the Cobb plate certainly helps.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Coolnezzz posted:

Treated my baby to some new wheels (Motegi MR125 16x7), tires (BFGoodrich gForce Sport COMP-2s, 205/45/16), an alignment (installed new springs last weekend), an oil change and a wash today!

Nice! How hard were the springs to install? Worth it?

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Coolnezzz posted:

The springs were not difficult at all to install, just time consuming. Using the cheap Harbor Freight spring compressors took the longest but they worked fine and at $15 they were totally worth it. The springs I went with were Mountune Sports and while they are only 5% stiffer than the stockers they are actually a bit more forgiving for every day driving as they are progressive rather than linear. Small bumps in the road aren't as jarring any more and it seems to feel a bit more planted when cornering. I haven't done any spirited driving since upgrading so I can't really comment on their performance as of yet but everything I've read about them says they're definitely worth the price. I was mainly going for the slightly softer every day ride and getting rid of some of that wheel gap. I definitely like them so far!

Thanks for the input!

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

ilkhan posted:

Not just loaded, literally maxed out.
Nice car, though. 'Grats. Enjoy all 220 (230?) HP.

How does a turbo 2.0L only have 220 hp? Or am I just spoiled by always looking at Ford's FoST numbers?

It doesn't, those numbers are severely under rated. I believe the GTI is seeing 220 to 230 at the wheels, just like the ST. In fact the GTI tasks a tune even better due to the larger turbo unit. I'm an ST owner myself.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Optimus Subprime posted:

I test drove a 2015 Focus ST, 2015 Mustang GT, 2015 Fiesta ST, 2012 BMW 328i, and a 2015 VW GTI this past weekend. None of their manual transmissions felt as good as my 2008 Civic Si. If the driving dynamics of the new Civic are good, I think I might hold out and see what happens for this new Civic.

That's not a surprise, at all. There's some very affordable upgrades for the STs that make them decent however.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

TKIY posted:

I have my name on 'the list' for a FoRS at the dealership, but I might need to look at something sooner than next year.

I really want an AWD vehicle since winters here (Winnipeg) suck rancid rear end, but FWD on winter tires would be fine if the vehicle has reasonable traction control, etc. So, anyone year-round DDing a FoST in a similar climate? How available are winters tires/steelies to fit the vehicle and how does it handle the awful rutty snow that defines five months of the year and the potholes that define the other seven?

Upper Midwest here with a fairly stock FoST. No issues with 17" Blizzaks on steels. Very controllable.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

smooth jazz posted:

Fwiw, the 2015 FoST Recaros are substantially cushier than the 13-14.

You'll get used to them and they'll get used to you.

Like more padding and less aggressive?

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

smooth jazz posted:

More padding with softer leather. The bolsters, while the same shape, have more give to them.
It's not subtle.

Hmm, it'll be interesting to see how they hold up. I guess I need to sit in a 2015 to really get an idea for the changes.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

GutBomb posted:

I read about this too, but the guy that originally did it said there was a lot of play at the top of the pedal travel so he undid it.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1242-DIY-Clutch-Pedal-Assist-Helper-Spring-Removal

Hmm, this is all the rage right now. I guess I should do a bit more research. I had planned on doing it this weekend

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah, the specifications table in the ST supplement gives different horsepower numbers for 87 and 93 octane. However, later in the manual it states 87 octane is the gas that should be put in it (has a little graphic with the gas pump label with "87" on it).

It's kinda stupid.

I use 87 in the winter and 93 in the summer. I've never noticed any performance issues or significant mileage hits. It's nice to be mix it up a bit.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Farking Bastage posted:

Oh my God. My wife's gonna divorce me when this thing comes out.

Yeah but who cares, you'll be driving your new RS.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

The Locator posted:

For people considering the Fiesta ST, but think they need more room, take a look at the Focus ST. It's got actually useful cargo space with the rear seats folded down (I carried a bunch of 60" long desk tops in mine recently) and for me, the shifter is actually in a better position for comfort. It's a bit heavier, but has more power that more than compensates, and the price isn't really very much higher than the Fiesta.

Depending on your market the pricing can be virtually the same...which is a bit crazy considering.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

The Ferret King posted:

By 1-2 shift you mean the shift from 1st to 2nd or what?

I would assume so. The 1 - 2 shift on both of the STs is odd due to the rev hang feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

GutBomb posted:

I have one of each ('13 Miata and '15 Fiesta ST) and they are the perfect car combination. Have both and get rid of whatever your daily is. Miata is the daily on nice days when you don't need to haul anything, Fiesta for anything that doesn't qualify as a Miata day.

I'm jealous of you.