Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ringo Star Get posted:

Also noticed that Euro STs get a dead pedal while US ones get nothing. People are either resorting to getting a weathermate or buying after market, but I wish it was something that Ford US did from the start to match the pedals.
One reason for the lack of a dead pedal is to do with crash/safety tests. A lot of crash tests put a red mark against dead pedals as they can be unsafe in crashes (pushing the leg, especially the knee up into the dashboard if the firewall deforms). Which is sad because driving a car without a dead pedal can be so uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sinestro posted:

That's my issue with most of these little cars. I'm 5' 10", but it is all in my upper body. My legs are stubby as gently caress. Maybe I need pedal extensions or something.

Sounds like you will be perfect for a 1970/80s era Alfa. They seem to suit people with no legs (at least with the RHD versions)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ringo Star Get posted:

I like the look of the scoop on the Speed3, wish the ST had something to complete its aggressive look.

Does the Ford run a front mount intercooler, whereas the Mazda runs a top mount intercooler? Putting a scoop on the Ford would be a waste of time if it is front mount.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Z4 is a sports car, not a hot hatch. Hot hatch means that it is based off a bog standard run about hatchback with a bigger motor and/or forced induction of some sort. Some Aston Martins have liftbacks like the Z4, but it sure as poo poo ain't a hot hatch.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

echobucket posted:

TopGear magazine included the Ford Fiesta ST in it's "Speed week"

It was the slowest, but look what it they lumped it in with:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/The-hot-laps-2013-08-29

Also, they released some cool wallpapers

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/wallpapers-top-gears-speed-week-2013-09-12

Including this one, which is now my desktop wallpaper.

I can never get TG's photos to work properly in any browser I use. It is bloody annoying since they have a ton of great wallpapers :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dakotaboy88 posted:

I prefer a 3 door because I can look out the side windows without out a huge B-pillar being in the way, and it's easier to get in and out. The only thing that ever ends up on my back seats is occasional cargo, so I don't really need the extra doors. If Ford offers a 3 door Focus ST or RS in the US, I'd seriously consider trading in my 2013 Focus ST.

Ford has not made a 3 door Focus for the current model.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So you went from a 4 year old car to a nearly 10 year old VW which is well known for having issues?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Every terrible Mazda forum has some dude with insider info who has a different story. Turbo Skyactive/Turbo Diesl/AWD/RWD etc etc.

There are Turbo Diesel Mazda3s, but I guess the emission standards in the US ban those.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Snowdens Secret posted:

I was getting my A3 serviced the other day and the dealer had the new A3 sedans in. If they had brought the hatch over, I would've already bought one. I'm sure at least 5 or 6 other people would've done the same.

There are A3 sedans? I have only seen hatch versions

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

If there was no model badge on the back of that car, I'd have a hard time telling the difference between an A3 and A4 sedan

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

veedubfreak posted:

Because americans are fat lazy fucksticks that only buy giant suvs. VW can barely sell enough Golf/GTI hatchbacks to make it worth their time. Why do you think most of their ads are pushing the bigger cars.

Supposedly in Australia 1 out of 4 Golfs sold are GTIs. Australians love their hot hatches and sporty family cars (1 in 3 Commodores sold are V8 models)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Maybe they can do a Ken Block version with massive wings and Monster Energy Drink decals on it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nope, still broken as gently caress. Timg the pics

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Housh posted:

Not exactly hot (99hp) but I pick up my 2013 Prius C Two tomorrow. I'm starting my masters in the Fall and need a cheap reliable commuter car. The last hatch I've owned was my trusty 94 Civic. My current car is a leaky '98 Mazda 626 that is being traded in. This is what my car will look like but with tinted windows:

Hand in your AI card, you are no longer allowed here

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Housh posted:

Those are the only two qualities I look for in a car. Just need something to last me 2-3 years with no major repairs and then I'll buy whatever I want. I actually find the car to be really cool. Anyways, I'm going to run away from AI now before you guys give me a wedgie.

*flicks cigarette at u*

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I know I have said this before, but gently caress me insurance is expensive in the US for the small amount of coverage you get

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

oxbrain posted:

I sold the last of my festivas last year. I'm down to just one car with no room or energy for project cars.

Here's a picture of what festiva life is like.

Well, RIP your AI gimmick then I guess.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KakerMix posted:

And with Ford's CEO getting the axe that probably means the death of the Fiesta and Focus especially with the incoming bubble burst on leases people keep talking about.
Death of the ST twins too?

I'm sure they will continue in the rest of the world, since hot hatches are still very popular in Europe and Australia

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MarsellusWallace posted:

You are one lucky dude, that's approaching the worst case scenario accident for cars designed at that time, what with the small overlap test not yet having been rolled out.

Better luck next car!

ENCAP has had small overlap tests for years.

Good to see you are safe Solar!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Isn't there an issue with the engine mounts, or was it fixed by that year?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Warbird posted:

No really, what is that?

VW Up! Which is smaller than a Polo since the Polo got too big because the Golf was small but got too big so the Polo had to be introduced OH NO I'M GOING CROSS EYED

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

I forgot that AI was full of ogres.

Zug Zug?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mill Village posted:

The dealer sold the GTI I wanted to see even though it was still on their site when I got there. :negative:

There’s a nice white one at another dealer near my house, but it has some modifications. It has APR Stage 2, AWE Catback Exhaust, and Injen Cold Air Intake. I’m thinking it was driven hard.

No one modifies a car like that for nice quiet drives to church on a Sunday

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So is the Golf Mk 8 a Mk 7 with a new front end, like what the Mk 6 was to the Mk 5?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol what in the gently caress hyundai just pissin away money

No, they are being nice to LHD nations, who in most cases don't deserve it compared to the Godlike RHD nations :smug:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

*looks at the turbo diesel Focus in my garage*

Hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Isometric Bacon posted:

Well it looks like there's only going to be 500 Corolla GR's released to Australia.

Called up my dealer who told me it's unlikely I'd get any stock allocation, due to the low numbers.

He got all cagey when I asked him to tell me where I was in the dealership 'queue' (I put my deposit down on the day of the official reveal) .

He also let slip that some staff members had deposits down too. Gee. I wonder who'll get the allocations?

drat, I'd love to have one of those Corollas, but I have just brought a place so I will have to hang on to the Focus a little bit longer