Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Goddamnit, I'm disappointed in how much I like this thing.

especially for 17 out the door with taxes
16, 2 door S, 6 speed, 19k miles. Need to address minor curbing on the passenger front but it got traded in at Jim Ellis Porsche so I don't even need to worry about scraping a dealer vinyl off which is nice. They just wanted to get it off their books before the end of the year.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TraderStav posted:

You guys are really warming me up to a GTI sport, especially at these prices. Back seat good enough for three kids NOT in car seats occasionally? Their primary ride is our explorer so the family truckster goes with them but will need to make sure they can fit from time to time.

I loved my 98 GTI VR6 and in the low 20s a 17 Sport should meet my needs if I can find a manual.

I'm 5'7" and the back seat is perfectly usable as long as no one over 6 foot is driving. Width wise, idk, I haven't had that many people in the back yet.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Got 33 in my first ride up 285 and 85 doing about 70.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Am I weird for hating the "upgraded" wheels on mk7's? Most of the reason I just stuck with a base.

Crescendo posted:

Can anyone with a Mk7 or Mk7.5 GTI let me know how your engine compartment is painted?

I noticed today that under the hood the paint on my car is a dull / matte red, i.e. there is no clear-coat.

I assume this is normal, just wanting to confirm.

Yes, normal, as in most vehicles.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Taima posted:

My controversial stance is that you are allowed, as a human being, to have a personal opinion

drat watch yourself son that might be worth a probie.

Unsane posted:

do you have a remote start keyfob you can bind to the car? I've been wanting to try this with my ST, ever since seeing it in forscan. Apparently it is just that easy for some of the ford cars and trucks, turn it on and get a key. There is a addon module, but its just an antenna. I am curious to see what happens in a manual car. maybe figure out a way to fake a neutral safety switch to the ECM.

potentially sure but if you fake out/disable clutch lockout, you'll assuredly disable cruise

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So it seems that my GTI has the dreaded clutch slip. Any boost down low in 3rd gear and it just revs to the moon and doesn't go anywhere. Advice on getting the dealer to warrant it? Just bought the car this weekend, 19k miles.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Larrymer posted:

drat that sucks. Bet it has/has a tune. Guessing it isn't cpo?

Not CPO but only 20k miles. No tune that I know of, was a trade in at the Porsche dealership...

and/or should I be getting quotes from Eurofed/Solo for a stage 1 clutch? (In the ATL)

did confirm that the remainder of the VW warranty was pass through to me.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 28, 2017

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
New to me GTI clutch update: sales guy is going to get a Porsche ombudsman to get in touch with the VW dealership that's under the same ownership umbrella, we'll see what happens.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

No, as a recovering e46 owner, I'm pretty sure that's exactly the correct application in this context.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

a mysterious cloak posted:

What about rattle can, with the tires left on and whatever overspray happens, happens?

the only way.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

E46 interior is nicer than FiST interior

This is true for virtually every car pre being introduced ~2015. The Mk7 interior is the only thing that made me jump, the Focus/Escape interior makes me want to die and I've spent extended time in them. (Not saying Android Auto is perfect but gently caress you Sync!)

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 1, 2018

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Got my '16 S with under 20k for less than 17. Reflex silver, 6 speed, 2 door. Fake edit: on December 23rd. At this rate, I'd wait for 18's and the better warranty.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

I sold one with more miles on it for more than you paid :v:

PP or trade in cause....drat. ATL is a bad hot hatch market though.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah I got my 16 Reflex 6speed coupe with 19k on it for 17. Too much.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

Sorry, but the plaid interior is one of the best reasons to buy a GTI

I wouldn't have bought one if it wasn't base. (Which is bullshit that its required but beside the point)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Took the GTI on her first roadtrip Friday. ATL->Charleston. 37MPG downhill (somewhat conservative) 33 MPG uphill (YOLO). I hate driving long distances but if you're going to have a companion, the GTI is a good one to have. 10 hours in 2 days is something I'd abhor in my e46.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Radiohead71 posted:

Yes I think it is a great road trip car, sorry for the confusion. I read online that people didn't like them because they said the seats were not comfy, too small, etc. They must be fat/dumb? The Apple car play is good for phone/nav, etc. The Helix subwoofer is great for music. I could do 12+ hours in the car easy.

Yeah about my only complaint is that the sound system in my base is a little cheap and no sub. Still lightyears ahead of my e46 that had every single driver blown though! Android auto is hit or miss unfortunately.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I just checked, I have enough 10w40 left over from m54 ownership just lying around that I can do 2 oil changes in the GTI lmao

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Man, I'm so ready for my lease to be up. 13 months to go. The GTI is a good car, but it's boring as poo poo as it doesn't really have any character. Everything on it's pretty good, but nothing really exceptional, and nothing to really complain about either. Maybe its just my AI ADD but I can't wait to get something else.

Absolutely feel this way coming from an e46. Gas mileage is great, everything works, but it has zero soul.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TheWevel posted:

It's just one of those things that happens in the South. I've had it happen to me once or twice and I never have food in my car...generally if it rains a lot ants will start looking for a new place to live.

Can confirm. My e46 had a slight leak so it was super humid inside, ants from work decided to take up residence. :shobon:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Righteously impressed with VW's ability to design for obsolescence. 16 GTI

My coolant reservoir was bone dry this morning. 37102 miles. :smithicide:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

TrueChaos posted:

Anyone here with a mk7 GTI - When you change the traction control setting, does the button light up? I can't remember as I don't normally gently caress with it, but have been lately due to snow. The button works, but doesn't seem to say light up orange like changing the mode selector. I need to check if it still lights up white as well...

I keep my car in individual and I want to say it stays illuminated.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Oddhair posted:

I had the same thing and limped it along as I thought I was out of the standard warranty period; I'd suggest taking it to the dealership for the water pump warranty replacement, though if mine was a hose they said it would be $80 to diagnose and not a warranty repair, obviously. The replacement at least is more sturdy. If you haven't had the suction pump recall done make sure you're below 1/4 tank when you drop it off. This recall started hitting my car right before I took it in and the stench of gas was still there the following morning, though old gas, you know?

I guess I'll run the vin this afternoon, I bought it from a Porsche dealership on trade-in before they could get rid of it, one would've hoped they would've checked for any recalls though maybe not. I am aware of the water pump thing, I may call my local indie that I've bmw business with in the past and ask them, too. Once I filled it back up it seems fine, though it wasn't with Pentosin as I live out in the sticks so I had to just grab what the gas station had in stock. Like I said, *COMPLETELY* dry.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Have you ever stopped to think that video is an absolutely lovely medium for communicating static information, especially reference info you might need to, idk, print out to more easily use?

gently caress "the transition to video." Youtube DIY videos have their place, but its not, "something I'm going to actively do while dirty and involves what may be my only mode of transportation."

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

you should pump it into maxing out your 401k, roth ira, hsa, etc but we are in ai so i say go for it

absolutely not seeing as humanity won't exist as we know it in 25 years so

you won't be able to retire

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
This is probably a question for the BMW thread but what is y'alls opinion on the BMW 4 GC? I have to admit I haven't driven anything f30 based but having a sportback BMW really appeals to me. (Need to buy a mommymobile soon.)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Here4DaGangBang posted:

My dad has one (435i specifically), what do you want to know?

Its a nice car, plenty of power, seems to handle nicely for GT style driving from the limited chance I’ve had to take it on some twisty roads. Rear seat headroom is poor. I’m about 6 ft 1 and I can’t sit upright in the back. I think that will be common to every car which has that kind of sloping roofline though..

That is about what I figured, more looking for caveats/things to look for when buying used. When we need to carry adults in the back, it won't be for long, probably.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

thetechnoloser posted:

Might be the first one here with one----- just sold our 2012 MCA Mustang and got a 2019 Veloster N w/perf pack. Complements my wife's modded Fiesta ST!

Really really loving the active exhaust and rev matching. This thing _sounds_ incredible! Feels way way way better than a stock Focus ST, which is what we were looking at before they stopped manufacture.

Congrats. I actually hate that blue even though things like that are typically my jam. I'm very jealous.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BraveUlysses posted:

enkei makes some nice looking, decently lightweight wheels

Yeah look at the vehicle specific forums for wheel advice, trying to do it through manufacturers is a recipe for disaster.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

revmoo posted:

Just replaced all the brakes on my mk7. What a pain in the rear end. Ran about 6 hours to do pads / rotors.

Working on a volkswagen is the literal opposite of working on a BMW. I really enjoy the car most days but I will be looking forward to trading it in in a couple years. The engineering involved is just baffling to me in so many ways. It's the absolute definition of a disposable car. I'm not necessarily sure that's a bad thing, but it's a totally different paradigm to my previous ride. I will not be keeping it past 100k.

Everything these days has paper thin sheet metal and turbos and complicated electrics and weird fasteners. Makes for a terrific driving experience, as long as you trade in every few years.

knowing how much of an e36 OG you are, this is a loving terrifying statement.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
49k on a 16 base model bought it with 9k in December 17. Put ~115 miles a work day on it for 6 months. Other than the coolant reservoir being bone dry for seemingly no reason one morning, itsonly needed oil changes and the coolant topped up that one time. I *guess* it likes to eat tires, but I don't think its that bad compared to M3s I've owned.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

revmoo posted:

Nice.

I'm getting into another BMW after I ditch the GTI I've already decided.

Abso-loving-loutely same. You going back to e36 or something more modern?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

ThirstyBuck posted:

Why does every GTI owner say this. "My car is good at everything. I can't wait to get rid of it." I've got a 20 year old M3 that does not mesh with my life any longer re kids and I'm looking at hatches/wagons. E36? RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE.

Because

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think it's a very tough car to love

It has no soul, which makes it infuriatingly boring to drive. Also I have no plans to have kids. (2016 2 door supremacy) I wouldn't say I *regret* my purchase, because I don't. It made the most sense from a market standpoint at the time (stick, android auto, reasonably cheap) but I make more money now and drive about a quarter what I did when I bought it. When it's paid off, I'm definitely looking at something more dumb.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I have not washed my GTI in 45000 miles and it owns OP

it is silver tho

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hey, rev, so should I get the obdeleven pro? A little unclear what the differences are.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
:kickinrad:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I mean I came from the e30/36/46 world so my opinion is inherently biased but my GTI has needed oil changes and tires over 50k of ownership.

*knocks on wood*

e: completely base, no PP, manual. My clutch slips, but known issue.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

KillHour posted:

Apparently it just started rolling out.

I've got an Essential so I know I'm on the absolute latest AOSP base and I still can't make it update. Really frustrating.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Oddhair posted:

I see in the settings I have "Use the new Android Auto" and also "Wireless projection to car screen" though it was already on. You might get your wish.

The GTI has an SD card slot in the glove box that supports SD-XC cards (not micro but of course there are adapters), I believe up to 256 GB.

AND it supports virtually every flavor of FLAC out of the box! One of the best surprises I've ever gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Edit for content, got 16” wheels and Michelin x-Ice for this winter! Walmart had the Michelin’s for $78/ea + $12 install and the wheels were $150 from some guy with a sonata.

Do you people who choose to live in the goddamn arctic really change wheels/tires multiple times a year?

In-loving-sanity.

I change my oil. That's it.