Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
i bought a new GTI and I feel like carplay is really the killer app, I wouldn't have thought it before I bought a car, but I'm sure glad the one I got came with it, since I wouldn't have purposely looked for it. I am not a fan of the other stuff and have turned off most things like front sensor for car distance, blind spot sensors, etc. Carplay though is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think some cars are supporting Bluetooth Carplay, at least Apple has instructions how to use it wireless. Too bad mine isn't that, but it's still the best car feature because without it, the infotainment is not all that interesting.

Edit: Also here's my car since this is the Hot Hatch thread, very fun to drive, boring black. I almost got a green color, but kind of shied away from it at the last minute.

https://imgur.com/xempGlz

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 29, 2019

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have one of the VW GTIs with the stalling issue, and have taken my car to the dealer and been talking to VW about it for a week or so. They think it is software, they applied a patch to my car that did not resolve it. Currently trying to get them to trade me for a DSG.

Looks like I will know tomorrow whether they have a fix coming or if I get a DSG in trade.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 15, 2019

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You can take it to the dealer and they can tell you if it had an accessport tune. If it's JB4, they may not, but if the ECU has been flashed you can tell. A lot of people do intakes because it sounds nice, it makes no difference tune or not.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The US market is over 70% SUV / Crossover / Truck sales now and people want a cut of that, it's no surprise where the market is going. No one even buys station wagons anymore, and the few that are sold, 3% of the whole market are almost all Subaru.

It's too bad, I bought a new GTI and when I look at new cars other people have bought, it really hits me how unique just normal sedans or coupes are these days. It's really something how many F150s people are buying as well.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 11, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I get grumpy about crossovers and trucks, I wish I could wrap my head around what makes them appeal to someone. I get it if you use a truck to haul, but so few people at work who have these big fuckoff trucks never do a drat thing with them. Crossovers are just so boring and mediocre that it feels like the people that buy them are just giving up and settling in mediocrity and I can't stand it.
Agreed, the CR-V, RAV4 and the like are so similar and boring, I don't get it and they're everywhere along with those Subaru Crosstrek things that have CVT transmissions. I guess people don't care about the driving part, just the potential to go offroad if they need to or something. And the F150s just baffle me, they're so huge and boring, but it's their money. I think it's just too bad all innovation goes in to the most copy cat vehicles and we don't get cool things like that Toyota hatch.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pine Cone Jones posted:

It is a shame, we don't get much in the way of exciting cars it seems and those that we do get are way out of my price range. If my husband fit in a ND Miata, I'd of bought it, but as it was we got a GTI instead. I'm just hoping the US market doesn't end up cutting out all fun cars
I really wanted a new Miata too, but I have dogs to haul around to the beach and we already have a first gen Miata, so got a GTI, and I do love the car.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My experience with the GTI clutch is that it is fine and you will probably not have an issue, but also it isn't the greatest feeling clutch, I had a hard time really getting a good feel for it, you should drive one again. Also, I should note, I bought a 6 speed manual 2019 in July and there was a massive issue with the car stalling. To the point, I asked for a buyback. They gave the option for the DSG transmission and I took it, and I could not be happier. Not only because I really like the dual clutch transmission, it's great and you should also test drive one of those, but they ended up upgrading my car to the SE with several thousand in options. At this point, they claim to have an ECU update for the stalling issue, and it seems like there are good results, but worth mentioning. The people who say the clutch is weak are generally referring to a stage 1 tune.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 25, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I like your Golf, I wish they didn't punch holes in the front where my plate is, looks like you got off without them butchering your bumper, though yours seems to have all sorts of covered sensor options or something in the front. I have some, but I think they are less noticeable in black.

I haven't done anything to mine at all. I told myself I would wait until i hit 1,000 miles before I consider new wheels or tires, but I think I decided to just leave it be until I actually need new tires. I do kind of wish I had R power, but 230 is enough for now, and I can do APR + if I ever get bored.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Deviant posted:

Those sensors all work, it's the park assist stuff.

The rhombus things are doors for the headlight sprayers.

We're not a front plate state so I guess that's why I got away without that. The white really grew on me with the minimal badging on the R.

That housing for the square front sensor keeps popping partially loose though
That makes sense, I don't have the parking assist or headlight sprayers. Didn't realize the R got all that stuff back in 2016, neat.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's been raining for three months straight, so my black car looks clean all the time, lucky me.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 16, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
People are loud about their issues with the moonroof on the GTI and probably with good reason since it seems a lot of people have had to go to the dealer many times and never get it fixed, or they end up with a bunch of water damage. My opinion is that I think it's nice to have the extra light in the cabin and since I am under warranty doesn't seem like a huge risk. Most people will never have an issue though and if you see a 2016 and it doesn't have issues already, chances are it will be fine.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MunchE posted:

the Blue CTR almost got me until I realized they all have that bright red boyracer interior. I'm too old for that poo poo
Same, I think the CTR looks neat, but I'm too old to drive something that looks like that.

Also, the GTI Mk.8 was revealed today.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

fknlo posted:

I seriously see a squinting catfish. Especially when the fogs aren't on. Long unbroken grills like that are not good.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of that, I like the headlights though. Also, they now have a little tiny shift nob for the DSG which looks ridiculous, and removed most of the physical buttons from the interior. I think the digital cluster is really neat looking, but I don't like when they move functions that were once buttons to touch.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

fknlo posted:

I honestly didn't care for the digital cluster in the R I test drove. I know I would have gotten used to it, but the gauges lacked any perception of depth and it was super weird.
That's interesting, I'll have to swing by the dealer and see if they let me turn one on. I wanted to fit the R cluster in to my GTI and it's a pretty simple process, but I guess I should look at it in person first.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Midjack posted:

Crap on that, drive it if you like it. I turn 40 in a few weeks and will still be in the Civic Type R.
Well, I wouldn't judge anyone that drove one, I think they're cool looking cars.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I changed the traction control so one press is ESC Sport and long press is off. There may be some still on with it off, but it is not noticeable. ESC sport is what is normally the long press and definitely still does ASR or some sort of assist.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There are still reports on manual transmissions stalling on new GTIs. That's why why '19 was bought back and I was given a DGS model. They did come out with an ECU flash, but doesn't seem to have fixed everyone, just a heads up.

I know it's not for everyone, but having never owned an automatic, I really love the DSG.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BraveUlysses posted:

did they fix the stalling issue on 2019s?
Kind of maybe. They claim to have fixed it with an ECU update, but people still claim to be stalling, even on the 2020 I see some people reporting it. Glad I'm not dealing with that anymore.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Also, the SE is a lot better than the S. I think the '20 still has an actual key and not push to start. Also DCC if experience package is great and the interior is a lot nicer with the larger screen, leather and sunroof. '19 also gets a 6 year warranty instead of 4.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Enos Cabell posted:

Yup, ended up going with the '19 SE. Never thought I'd actually buy a brand new car, but here we are.

Congrats, same but in black.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't like changing mine either, but you can use an extractor on the GTI and the filter is also accessible under the hood so I plan on just doing that. Also, it's every 10k or a year, so the two years maintenance is just two oil changes I think.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Warbird posted:

What’s the margin for error there? I’d be interested in trying it, but I’d prefer not to gently caress up my car by accident.
Here's a video a guy did with his Golf R and demonstrates how to do it, and how much oil it gets compared to getting under the car. It's pretty simple and would be hard to mess up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RakLAZIRgwU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The current GTI says 87 fuel on the gas cap. In the manual it says the power is rated by using premium fuel though. So 87 you're looking at less HP, but probably hard to notice I would guess.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I always put premium in mine too, which is 92 in Oregon. I just don't drive all that much so the cost is minimal. I always wonder if I would be able to tell the difference.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BraveUlysses posted:

average price for premium in wa state is 2.99
Yeah, I'm in Oregon and couldn't believe some of the prices in the country. We never get cheap gas when the prices crash like other states.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I had the stalling issue last summer and they replaced my base model S with an SE since I was okay to go to the DSG and didn't seem like they would ever resolve it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Seems weird to put in a 2.5 liter engine with a turbo and only get 250 HP. I bet the pricing on this will put it with the Golf R and STI, the former has close to 300 HP from a 2 liter and also a DCT or manual.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I put a JB4 in my GTI last week. I ran it just as a passthrough for a few days and no codes, so I set it at map 1 today and it's significantly faster and it has all sorts of cool logs and information you can pull. If all goes well, I'll try another step up to map 2 and then try and make a custom map from the logs. The install was easier than I thought it would be and the app is pretty nice, being able to switch to different maps on the fly is great. It even has a mode you can cut the boost for letting someone borrow your car or for valet parking. Map 2 should put me somewhere about 280 HP and 300 torque I think.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth, I'll talk about how the Jb4 works since it is completely different. It isn't a flash tune, it's a box that intercepts the signal from the ECU to various sensors and sends along its own values. I have a bluetooth connection and can log what everything is doing from boost, to air fuel ratios and tons of other things. I can then change those values on my phone and update the Jb4. You can also just change to stock or higher boost on the fly with a push of the button since it isn't flashing the ECU to achieve what it does. Also I can completely remove it in about ten minutes now that I know what I am doing.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There are fail safes in place that will limit boost and other things, but of course you always run a risk. To me, stage one tunes seem pretty safe on the GTI, the main thing to worry about would be the clutch, which seems like some people need one right away, and others use the stock clutch fine. Not sure how other cars handle the power.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 5, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Warbird posted:

How does that play for a DSG?
No issues with the DSG, it can handle a lot of power.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My neighbor literally went from an R tro an RS3 last year so funny you say that. It's such a great looking car.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Styles Bitchley posted:

Mazda3 Turbo reviews are out:
Would be interesting if it had something besides the normal 6-speed auto. Seems pretty torquey though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The issue with flash tunes on VWs is that for warranty VW will make them scan the car and it will flag your warranty regardless whether the dealer cares or not. They will still fix stuff not related to the drivetrain if it doesn't seem related to the flash tune. If you're worried about warranty work your options are APR+ and JB4.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
From what I read about Cobb, it's great for pro tunes if you buy one, but you should stay away from the OTS maps, at least on a GTI, I don't know about other cars. If he's really in to tuning and can monitor knock and other parameters, it should be fine, if he just wants his car to go faster, APR is the way to go. The Cobb stuff is neat since you have complete control but you should be warned that using the OTS maps without knowing what you're looking at seems like a really bad idea on a GTI.

Edit: A lot of tuners sell Cobb with their tunes and are a lot better than the OTS stuff. EQT seems pretty popular.

https://eqtuning.com/products/cobb-accessport-v3-vw-mqb-gti-r-gli-ea888-2-0tsi

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 25, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have a JB4 and it works fine, and has several options but I also run logs for each map I run to make sure I am not damaging my engine. There isn't as much risk either since you're pushing about as much boost as an APR+ tune for the most part. I run a map 2 with 92 octane and get a peak boost of about 5PSI over stock. With a map 6 you can custom tune per gear if you're good at reading logs, or you can send the logs to the JB4 owner and he will help out with a custom map. There are also forums to post logs to that will help you out. I decided since map 2 feels good and my car runs well with it, I'm just going to keep it there for now.

Here are all the options for maps and they can be changed on the fly with a phone app if you have bluetooth or with a laptop if you have the cable:

Map 0: This is a stock map with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4.
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 3 Peak boost 6psi 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates
Map 5 Absolute map peaking 25 tapers to 20psi. E30 with bolt ons needed. (not to be used on 1.8T or 2.0T Jetta)
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.
The mapping can be done in two manners. If the value at 1500 is kept below 10 it will work as a boost adder map. If the value at 1500 is higher than 10 it will work as a absolute map. This means actual total boost targets will need to be entered.
Map 7: Meth integration map using our FSB Meth controller
Map 8: This is a valet map/safety map where 50% of the boost is cut. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Nuurd posted:

Do you mind expanding a little or pointing me to some reading on why the Cobb OTS stuff should be avoided?

I don’t have one, but I’ve considered it for my ‘16 GTI, and I know very little. I had assumed that the stock stuff from Cobb would be a cool starting point.

I have a manual, so no DSG if that makes any difference.
I just read about them a lot and people have shown logs where timing is pulled or there was a lot of knock with even high octane fuel. I can't tell you specifically why since I don't have the tune, but seems like a general consensus around GTI forums.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There are variances in fuel and climate and driving style that can cause timing pulls and knock. I don't know about tunes, but with a JB4, you can send your logs and they can dial in the fuel levels and boost for your fuel and climate to make sure you're not going to damage your engine. If you don't think that is a thing, than sure, use the OTS ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

fknlo posted:

OTS tunes being bad is such a weird concept for me. Of course you could always wring out a few more hp with a custom tune, but OTS tunes for anything up to full bolt on have always been good for all my VW’s and now my M3. Hell, I can tune my M3 with my phone too. No one really fucks with custom tunes unless they’re doing E85 or have upgraded turbos.
Cobb tunes in particular seem to be more aggressive with no real thought put in to where the boost is being applied and have seen more than one person complain about knock. Sure if you don't care about your engine and don't monitor what is going on I'm sure it seems fine, but knock can and will kill engines. Everyone knows you add risk with a tune, but I would caution on thinking all tunes are equal. Climates and fuel types make a huge difference. These engines can pull timing and avoid knock and damage most of the time, but there is no reason to add more risk.