Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

No launch control on the ST?

Nope. I've never really bogged it that hard. Unless the ac was on and I really screwed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sepist posted:

Just picked up a Black / Charcoal Grey ST3, this thing is a blast :toot: For biggest/cheapest gains, would it be a Cobb AP and Downpipe?

You need the AP to do anything really. That alone gives some good tuning gains. The downpipe and intercooler are the other bottlenecks.

Get your rear motor mount done under the TSB and warranty. It really firms up everything and gets rid of the 1-2 shift bang. parts are fairly back ordered so get on the list at your dealer.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think I've experienced anything that would warrant a new motor mount.

Make a quick 1-2 shift under moderate acceleration. Your engine will slam all the way back and make a huge bang accompanied by wheel hop. The stock mounts on STs are horrifically flimsy. Its TSB 13-6-10

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

VTNewb posted:

I want a more winter drivable fqun car so I'm looking at replacing my 370z with a hot hatch. Going to test drive a Focus ST and a second STi test drive. Curious if the focus can be as fun.

The ST comes with summer tires, so figure some winters into your price.

It's also torquey as hell, so its only winter plus side is FWD vs RWD.

It wins on fun though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

All this Focus ST chat made me check some prices near me.

Dealer has a 2013 ST3 with the tangerine scream paint for $23k before TTL. Price seems really low, wonder if I'm missing something.

Used? ST3 Tangerine Screams were MSRPing around 30k. The ST2s are MSRPing around 26k or so. There aren't any good incentives either. It has to be a mislabeled ST1.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 4, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Ringo Star Get posted:

-brake/gas arrangement is tough for heel toe downshifts, but I've seen people create their own spacers to raise the gas pedal, something I might do in the future since my friends dad is a machinist and loves making custom parts

I'm really suprised that Cobb or someone that fabs things all the time haven't made one yet. This is the worst part for me.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

Hasn't this been a fairly common thing with manuals for a while now? How the gently caress did a shop not get that?

It has been on Fords since at least '99. My SVT Contour had one. Haven't driven a foreign manufacturer's car that uses the ring lockout yet though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I'll say it again. If the ST2 came with HIDs I would have done it to avoid the terrible infotainment system.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Rhyno posted:

This dude wants everyone to be aware of what he drives

From that exact angle the racing stripes don't look half bad. Most of the time they are horrible.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Rhyno posted:

It's the giant ST on the hood that looks like poo poo.

I wasn't disagreeing about that fact. Just the stripe looks pretty good from that exact angle/lighting level.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Tirerack has Blizzak lm60 tires 225/40/18 on closeout. Fits on stock rims. 600 Bux with a 50 dollar mail in too. I had luck getting the local Firestone to match it.

Good reviews for a winter tire.

Edit: ws60s went on closeout too

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 29, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Holy crap. Went to a meet at our local performance parts supplier for the ST world. Got convinced to buy an Accessport. Went to the Stage 1 91 Octane V104 off the shelf Cobb Map.

Was grinning the entire time. It changes the car into an entirely different beast. Thrust is more like my old Speed6. Throttle response is very tight. Turbo utilized better. Go get an AP if you don't have one yet.

Edit: weirdly better gas mileage too so far.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 31, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Did you move the seat all the way up? I'm 6 even 172lbs and have an st3 with moonroof. I'm nowhere near the ceiling.

Maybe you have a freakishly long torso.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Wheeee posted:

An Si will obviously lose a stop light race to a Focus ST but these are apparently cars focused on spirited driving through curves, where balance and having an LSD matter.

While I would like real LSD on the ST, it is a very well balanced car. Weight split is slightly better than the Civic SI. Apparently the suspension setup is much nicer into corners too. The SI with options puts it squarely into ST2 territory, which it just can't seem to compete in. The 2.0L Ecoboost just has an amazing amount of torque through the entire power band.

Also its not a hatch.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 2, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

"Bob A Feet" posted:

and the cost of powder coating would probably be around the cost of a second set of wheels I figured.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22774

Powdercoats cost that much per wheel? Dayum.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Atmus posted:

Does this violate the waranty, or what? Is it harder on the engine or something? Why don't the automakers shove them out the door with stuff like this installed?

I assume these questions have super obvious answers, but this would be the first time I've ever had a reason (or a car that would benefit from it) to look into it.

If they can say the tune caused the issue you're having (Engine Blowed Up, turbos, expensive explodey bits) then your warranty for that particular item is voided. They can't void your entire warranty. You can flash the car back to stock, however if they want to look hard enough Ford has the ability to tell how many times an ECU has been flashed.

Most dealers don't/can't/don't care enough to look that hard.

Honestly I don't know why Ford didn't utilize some of the fixes out the door. It has to have a detriment for some small percentage of their expected buyers. Enough to leave it the way it is. Some people report issues, but this is going by car forum standards which probably means they fed it diesel and it stopped working so they blamed a tune. Custom tunes will also occasionally have small bugs that result in patches needing applied. Cobb is generally pretty fast to sling you a test tune to fix things.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 3, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stew Man Chew posted:

One of the first '14s out there, ST3 trim with moonroof.

mmmmm Recaros. Thanks for selling me on this instead of a speed3, thread!

eta: myfordtouch is kinda bad! suuure is! I'm sure it'll be fine once I have it set up to never touch the screen again.

See if your MyFordTouch is updated to 3.62 (think its 3.62. The latest one), it really seemed to iron out a bunch of bullshit mine was doing.

At a meet with 7 STs, mine had the worst hood gap

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

echobucket posted:

I think so. I know you can hear the engine pretty good inside the cabin. I have to admin I like it. And it's not like BMW that plays fake sound in the cabin or anything.

Someone put a file on sound cloud with the new fiesta sound.

https://soundcloud.com/roadandtrack/2014-ford-fiesta-st-engine

Well. Its the Sound Symposer. Its a specially tuned pipe with a thing that opens past a certain RPM that lets the pleasing engine noises into the cabin. Not those unpleasing engine noises. Just the nice ones.

So its kinda like BMW

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I really like those wheels. Great looking car

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stew Man Chew posted:

for peeps with an accessport installed in their ST (really any car), is it crucial to break the car in first? I've always been told not to drive a thing like I stole it until the first oil change or whatever to verify parts are all in working order.

I've only put about 300 miles on and I'm champing at the bit.

Supposedly break in is just the first thousand miles at varied rpm. No oil change required. Flashed at 1900 miles then changed it anyway at 2100. Service writer tried to convince me not to saying engines don't break in like they used to.

I'd do the first 1000 without really getting into it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Phone posted:

I was targeting the 2k OCI.

Eh, super cheap oil change, and I've seen pictures of someone dragging a magnet through their drain pan.

Wasn't pretty.

That was just initial, my OCI is going to be 5-7k depending

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Could have at least gone with a classic

http://youareanidiot.org/

Out of an ST with 1k Miles:

This is before the oil filter was dropped into the unused drain pan.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 12, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Phone posted:

Yeah, and the plural of anecdote is data.

Nice pulling the D&D catchphrase there.

Yeah and the $10 oil change gets rid of those anecdotal metal chunks that might be in your oil, but are in some sort of Schrodinger's box until you drain it and find out.

I'd also rather they not be in there, if I'm hammering the poo poo out of my car.

Edit: Who the gently caress is Smokey Yunick?

Double Edit: I'm not saying engineers are retarded, and not to listen to them. I am just personally more comfortable not having the possibility of metal chunks in there, and its my cash to spend on that comfort. Automotive engineers really don't need your rabid defense.

Actually, defensive much? Do you know something we don't? Your'e designing engines to fail aren't you.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 12, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
And today I learned that doing a little extra to ensure the vehicle you love and enjoy doesn't possibly have metal bits in it, is un-AI.

Never would have thought that.

If its not in the Owners Manual, stop doing it. No one needs that extra performance, if it was possible, the engineers would have done it. Also those shocks can't be bad, the owners manual doesn't say they are yet. Spark Plugs all lovely? Impossible, the change interval is 100k.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The manufacturer just needs the vehicle to get past warranty coverage, as driven by 99% of the population. One car had poo poo in it, maybe mine does too.

Right after that oil change I took it into the mountains on a hot day and flogged the poo poo out of the car. Taking chances on break in oil and possibly damaging something was not something I'm comfortable with in my brand new 27k car.

If you're comfortable with it, great.

The spark plug argument has merit, would you jump on someone for pulling a plug before their interval to check? Would you advise to put it back in if it looks like poo poo? Oh no they might have to buy some dielectric to put it back in! How stupid.

Why the rabid response to possibly unnecessary extra maintenance. I never said it was necessary, just that I personally did it this way.

First oil changes bring out the worst in car forums.

Edit: your links don't work. Maybe mobile issues but it's asking for a login. Actually it's a subscription site?

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 12, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Went to the last Test and Tune night at the local drag track. First time at a drag strip too. Best run in my Stock (aside from tune) was my first at 15.541 @93.72 MPH. Getting first gear to have any traction is quite a balancing act in these cars. A statement echoed by the other STs in attendance. Thinking the first run was the best due to still warm tires and the sun still being out.

Second run was 15.83 with traction control accidentally on and the wife in the car. Third and final was 15.77, after sitting for 2 hours, traction control off and just me.

And holy poo poo does the clutch smell terrible by the end of a run.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 10, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
In Colorado Around 6000ft. I'm not joking when I said traction was an issue. Personally I think the Cobb stage 1 map is a bit too torquey in first gear.

I'll post the rest of the times when I get home in a bit. It was my first time on a drag strip period, so it was pretty comedy when I didn't know where/how to stage.

Edit: I know the guys running stage 3 are eating clutches so they are a bit weak.

Double Edit: Numbers! Really the only thing I can think is the tires were warmer on the first run from the drive over. Also think I'm holding my gears a bit past the power band
Best Run: 15.541 @ 93.72
RT: .831
60: 2.732
330: 6.919
1/8: 10.258 @74.95
1000: 13.126

Second Best: 15.712 @ 93.37
RT: .609
60: 2.678
330: 6.990
1/8: 10.373 @74.46
1000: 13.284

Worst (Traction Control On, passenger in car) 15.836 @ 92.51
RT: .670
60: 2.699
330: 7.039
1/8: 10.448 @73.74
1000: 13.384

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 10, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

MFT blows though.

Finally found a place with the rear motor mount parts in stock. Had it done. Driving feel is so much better now.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I put 225/40/18 Blizzak LM-60s on the stock rims and it still feels so sad compared to the summers.

99.9% sure 15's will have issues with clearance. Most 16's will work, but some are pretty close. 16 inch steelies seem to be the going thing.
Your ST supplement manual has a bunch of tire/wheel sizes in it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sepist posted:

Ran into an annoying issue with my ST - I can't put more than 40 cents of gas in the car without it constantly clicking on me and shutting off dispensing. You can hear gas gurgling in the neck so there must be some kind of evacuation issue...or spiders

Spiders.

Filing neck issues are really annoying. Hopefully your dealer doesn't suck.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Proud to be dragging that average way down.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Anyone else get in for the ST Octane Academy? Registrations opened the other day. I got my slot in April.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Bob A Feet posted:

Dumb question, but my local dealership told me that my RMM (focus st) problem is a transmission issue. That really doesn't make sense to me at all. They also canceled my scheduled appointment as I walked through the door. Awesome.

There is a clutch line and transmission bracket they replace as well but it's mostly a rmm.
As long as they do 13-6-10 you're getting the right stuff.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

taketheshot posted:

I bought a Focus ST back in January 2013 and I got a letter today from Ford offering a free trackday "ST Octane Academy" out at Miller Motorsports Park. I went ahead and signed up for a session in May. Anyone else attending or has attended this thing?

I'm going in early April. Pretty excited

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Even though I'm already signed up, they sent the invite anyway. With a little Ford Racing pamphlet.

M-FR1-FST is the Tune/Plugs/CAI/Catback for like $1500 bux. Quite a deal. Keeps the warranty if you let the dealer install it and gently caress you with labor charges.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Atmus posted:

I haven't tested this yet, on the Focus ST, is there a thing where if I leave the car idling but without the key inside, it shuts down if someone tries to drive off with it? Also is there a way to make it not honk at me when I do walk away from it with the key?

It will run and drive indefinitely until shut off. You need to manually lock it.

I just shut the door 90% of the way instead of full latch to avoid the beeps

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Dr.Caligari posted:

I have only took it for one short drive so far, and it feels 'uncapped', but it's not delivering smooth power when I accelerate in 3rd gear or above. Its like it 'hiccups' randomly. I'm attributing this to being a brand new install and the car just re-learning. If it keeps up I will reinstall the map.

Did you update the maps off Cobb's website? They update pretty frequently.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

smooth jazz posted:

Hey are any goons going to one of the Ford ST Octane Academy shindigs in Salt Lake City?

Toying with the idea of driving down from Vancouver this summer.

April 9/10 here. I'll give a trip report

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Fomalhaut posted:

I wasn't planning on purchasing a new car today. I only intended to compare the Fiesta ST, 500 Abarth, and FR-S. However, I took a test drive in this Fiesta, and I ended up buying it. I'll be taking some better pictures tomorrow, and I'll share them here.

I'm jealous of the lack of hood gap on fiestas compared to focii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Octane Academy morning: skid car, forward 90deg and 180 degree rotations in a Focus. Rear 180s in a Fiesta.

To do: track and urban course.

Taking video so I'll have that up eventually.

Don't bring a guest. Guest program is lame, they do the demo ride in the passenger seat and sit around the rest of the time.