Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I'm looking at getting a 2013 Focus ST so I can have a decently fun and reliable car instead of slapping together one of my project vehicles when my normal DD needs work.

I have some questions though. What is this ST1, ST2, and ST3 I've seen mentioned in the thread? I'm hoping I just spaced it out when I read through the thread the first time. Assuming it's not just another name for the packages, what's the difference between them, and which one is 'better' to get?

This would be the first time I've bought a new car, so I'm sure that there's a lot I don't know about it. I have an X-plan PIN, qualify for 0% financing, and know not to bother with rustproofing or extended waranties, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Heh, like 10 seconds on Ford's website says that's what the packages are called for the 2014 model year. I probably should have looked at that.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

SpellEdge posted:

I just put a deposit down on a 13 st. I got the st2 and moonroof, there's not a lot to pick from nowadays, I ended up going with black.

That's my problem. I wanted a 200a with nothing else on it. I guess there is one like 350 miles away, but all the local ones are at least 201a and they all have the moonroof.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

KakerMix posted:

So get the dealer to work with another dealer that has the car you want. My R was originally in Texas (I'm in Florida) and it was painless to request the specific car I had already found. The dealerships worked together and I got the white 4 door with sunroof and navigation instead of the white 2 door sans nav that they had at my local dealer.

It can't be that hard to get the color and package you want.

I'm working on it. It's more of a hassle than I expected it to be though.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

KakerMix posted:

Sorry if I came across like an rear end, but it was ultra-easy for me and assumed that was the typical way it happens. Maybe the demand for the STs has something to do with it?

You weren't an rear end (or maybe you were, but I wasn't being defensive about it). This will be the first new car I've bought and for some reason I thought "Hey, find me this exact car, pronto!" would be work flawlessly and instantaneously. I am really curious though as to if the base model ST's were really popular and all sold out, or if there weren't many of them ordered because everyone must have fancy seats and mood lighting.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Well, I bought an ST today. Now to A: Learn how to drive something that's not a 30 year old F-series, B: Read the drat manual so I know how anything works on it, and C: Get a cell phone since apparantly you need one for like half of the cool stuff.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Holy crap. Went to a meet at our local performance parts supplier for the ST world. Got convinced to buy an Accessport. Went to the Stage 1 91 Octane V104 off the shelf Cobb Map.

Was grinning the entire time. It changes the car into an entirely different beast. Thrust is more like my old Speed6. Throttle response is very tight. Turbo utilized better. Go get an AP if you don't have one yet.

Edit: weirdly better gas mileage too so far.

Does this violate the waranty, or what? Is it harder on the engine or something? Why don't the automakers shove them out the door with stuff like this installed?

I assume these questions have super obvious answers, but this would be the first time I've ever had a reason (or a car that would benefit from it) to look into it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I kinda assmed it was. But then they would have left the grille open for airflow or whatever, wouldn't they?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

bobfather posted:

Actually, the ST has an electronic shutter that opens the grill automatically when needed.

...The only thing not awesome with that is I'll never be able to see it.

Wait... One of you guys has a truck or van and a large mirror, right?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

bobfather posted:

If you ever wondered why your ST was making a low humming sound for about 10 seconds after you've stopped and turned off your vehicle, it's the electronic shutter closing.

:aaa:

I seriously went out and drove around a bit to make it do it. The lighting was terrible, but holy poo poo.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

bobfather posted:

Although it is a cool feature, I believe it also exists on the base Focus as well. I don't think it's a super-special ST-only thing.

Yeah, it is. And Ford didn't invent it or anything anyway. Keep in mind though, I'm used to 80's F-series, so anything beyond 'Starts, runs, has a radio' is basically magic to me in person.

How does the sound symposer work? I know what it does, but not how it does it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I had a thing happen with mine. I had a small tire puncture that I didn't feel like fixing myself, so I let the dealership do it. They removed the tire, put a kevlar patch over the hole, and put a plug in it, remounted and balanced everything just fine.

What makes this a story is that the service tech dropped his phone in my car. The manager called me up and I went out to look for it, but couldn't find it. I went to my cousin's house later and heard the ringtone, but still couldn't find it, and the manager had left for the day so I couldn't get her to keep calling it. About a half hour later, the tech and his girlfriend show up at my cousin's house as they have apparently been tracking the phone the whole time, chasing me down. I guess they even called the cops to find out what to do, which was kind of weird to hear, but whatever. The phone was in the usual place between the seat and center console, and I found a set of keys I had lost there as well, so I guess it was all worth it in the end.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
That would have made the story better, yes.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Does anyone else with a Focus ST and navigation system have a problem with the audio being really really quiet? I couldn't find a thing to adjust that with, either.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
It's the navigational audio that is super quiet, I'll do what was suggested above tomrrow.

On another note, I just figured out how to make the highbeams come on and holy poo poo.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Just install a trap door in the floor panel and Flintstones that bitch until it starts.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Recaros are great in the taking corners at 40mph without sliding around aspect, but their main strength is in ensuring that your farts will be super loud.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Poisonlizard posted:

Anyone have cold weather issues with the ST? Once it got below 30 or so, the rear motor mount issues became very obvious to me. Starting the car in the morning has been a cringe moment every day. So I'm headed to the dealer first thing Monday morning.
And the keyless unlock doesn't work for me when it's cold. I grab the handle, and it does nothing. Then I have to dig the fob out of my pocket and figure out which button is which. Had the car for 8 months, and I don't know which button is which, because I've never needed to.

On the plus side, it handled ice pretty well. Even with the stock tires.

It was around -3f this morning and mine unlocked and started fine. Making it go anywhere in the snow, on the other hand...

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Snow tires man. These Conti Winter Extremes I have are absolutely fantastic. It won't be above freezing here until Tuesday.

What did they run you? I'd have to get wheels as well, so I'll probably just blow it off and drive one of my trucks when the road is the wrong color though.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

KakerMix posted:

I constantly get the lower end MPG of my car. I didn't get a hot hatch to put around town like a Prius and neither should you. :colbert:

Pretty much this. I can't get above 25.2mpg on the readout, and I ain't going to drive the way I would have to to do it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have lovely aftermarket 16" alloys for my snow tires on my Focus ST and they look like rear end. I am going to plastidip them after this winter. Color thoughts? I'm thinking some sort of heinous electric blue color.

Bright yellow, like the 1st generation Blacktron Lego sets.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Utah is JUST barely close enough for me to go to for something like that, but I didn't get an invitation :(

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Even though I'm already signed up, they sent the invite anyway. With a little Ford Racing pamphlet.

M-FR1-FST is the Tune/Plugs/CAI/Catback for like $1500 bux. Quite a deal. Keeps the warranty if you let the dealer install it and gently caress you with labor charges.

Does that mean it keeps the engine/drivetrain warranty intact, or just that the parts package is covered by warranty? I can't find anything definitive either way.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Poisonlizard posted:

Anyone gotten the Ford Racing cat back yet? I really want to do their FR1 package, but I still haven't found a decent video of how it sounds.

For anyone who hasn't seen it:
http://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=24026

It's not cheap, but keeping the full warranty is worth it to me. (Also 350+ lb-ft sounds awesome)

I'm interested in it, but I want to see what it does with 91 octane since that's as high as it goes here. I also wonder what the deal is with the exhaust tips and if it's possible to leave the old one on. I assume not since there isn't anything straight between them and the muffler, but for all I know the weird looking tip that's on there now is just a cover and my question is just stupid.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
It's not quite the same thing, but the Focus ST manual states that for optimum mileage I should shift into 5th at 41mph, and into 6th at 42mph.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I haven't tested this yet, on the Focus ST, is there a thing where if I leave the car idling but without the key inside, it shuts down if someone tries to drive off with it? Also is there a way to make it not honk at me when I do walk away from it with the key?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

April 9/10 here. I'll give a trip report

I'm really interested, as I'll probably be going in the fall sometime, if possible.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Why not do something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_9gq1l9wglr_b

Heh, this led me to laser jammers which then led me to figuring out if it's legal here. Nope not legal in CO.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to break the law while you are... breaking the law.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

I drove from Denver. Staying in the comfort Inn in Tooele. It's really close to the track but about an hour from the prior evening reception.

Everyone that flew also rented a car so no idea on shuttles. About to do the track.

Urban autocross was pretty great

I'm in Aurora. What color is your ST? You aren't the guy I keep chasing on the highway around 3pm some days, are you?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

I'm actually in Aurora too. Denver is just easier to say because people know where it is. Tangerine Scream, and probably not me on the highway!

You're right. It's another Ingot Silver one I keep seeing. Oh well. So the academy is worth a plane ticket, rental car, and hotel?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
How easy is it to remove the wraps quickly? I'm pretty lazy and it has nothing at all to do with wanting to confuse the police after committing a crime.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

If you have another track nearby that does a good school for less than the cost of the tickets/hotel/car maybe not. Denver to Salt Lake is pretty dirt cheap.

There is something to say for driving your own model of car. It did make me want a Ford racing exhaust pretty bad though.

Warning:too lazy to edit out wind noise or add music or anything. TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN.

Bought the ion air pro 2 that morning, no time to play with mount points or orientation, sorry about vertical video and view. One lap of each event and both hot laps.

Video: https://youtu.be/1Rip8ik9yHE

I forgot to ask, how many people were there in the class? How much waiting around for someone else to get done, etc. was there?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
It does help you flip people off though, so it's a wash.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Do you have the seat all the way forward or something? I'm 6'2, and while getting in and out of the car is kind of a hassle, the sunroof is at exactly the sunroof is at exactly the right position for optimal derisive expression. For me, anyway.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

SFH1989 posted:

I never actually tried it although knowing how much of a dick the salesman ended up being I should have made him as uncomfortable as possible when I had the chance. The ST was the only Fiesta I've driven with a sunroof. If I was shorter (I'm 6'0") it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Oh, that's it. I thought you were talking about Focuses for some reason and your gripes made zero sense.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
My FoST has a problem now. It's idling wrong and tries to die when going from mid-high RPM's back to idle. The CEL is on and the vehicle health report uses a lot of words to tell me 'Take it to the dealership' which I was going to do anyway, but nothing that is actually helpful. I have an appointment for Monday morning (which seems a little far off for me, oh well) but it's disappointing to already have a problem of indeterminate severity like this before the first oil change.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Laranzu posted:

There is a TSB 13-9-7

Mine almost loses it and stalls in hot weather while dropping to idle, but no cel yet to qualify.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/10830-tsb-13-9-7-stalling-jumping-idle.html

That was it. Took a week for an appointment and a whole day to fix, but I got it back now at least.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Does the hill assist in FoST's also work facing downhill?

I finally got signed up for the ST Octane academy, so hopefully I will become a better skilled horrible jerk driver!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

why would you need hill assist going downhill? Just let the clutch out in second

I don't know why you would, I was just wondering if it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Don't FiST's have a roof mounted bike rack option? Or do you not want something like that?