Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
How unreasonable is it that I want to replace my '15 Miata with a Fiesta ST or Focus ST? Even though it's a second car I'm finding the Miata to not be as practical as I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Where do Minis fit in between the Focus ST and the GTI?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
That sounds pretty close to being accurate, assuming no money down and tax included in the lease payment. VW doesn't have the best money factor (APR) on their leases.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Larrymer posted:

I'd assume he put money down, too. This sounds like the most expensive 22.5k GTI in existence. Even sales tax in MO is 4.225%, so <1k on the purchase price. What happened here?

Edit: if above is true (no money down, tax included), still that sounds bad.

Well no, it really isn't. GTIs don't lease that well but given this is on the VW website:

quote:

Lease a 2017 Golf GTI 2.0T S with manual transmission for $359* a month. 36-month lease. Excludes tax, title, license, registration, options, and dealer fees. For highly qualified customers through Volkswagen Credit.

*Closed end lease financing available through January 3, 2017 for a new, unused 2017 Golf GTI 2.0T S with manual transmission, on approved credit by Volkswagen Credit through participating dealers. Monthly lease payment based on MSRP of $26,415 and destination charges, excluding title, tax, options, accessories, and dealer fees. Monthly payments total $12,924, and include acquisition fee of $625 and capitalized cost reductionYour payment will vary based on dealer contribution and the final negotiated price. Lessee responsible for insurance, maintenance and repairs. At lease end, lessee responsible for disposition fee of $350, $0.20/mile over for miles driven in excess of 12,000 miles per year and excessive wear and tear. Purchase option at lease end for $15,584.85,

I'd say he did pretty drat well on leasing a GTI sport at 15k miles a year for $400 a month.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Am I reading this right? You guys are shocked that your American compact car has high depreciation?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

oxbrain posted:

Bill Pierre Ford?

drat, they're selling their Fiestas for 4k over sticker. That's downright egregious.

edit: ~market adjustment~

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
drat it, quote isn't edit

ed balls

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

quote:

Price after dealer discounts listed on vehicle details page is $29,425.00. Payment is $363 per month for 84 months. Offer expires midnight 03-13-2017. $2,942.50 down. 3.9% APR for 84 months. $33,434.50 total of all payments.

This is on a $4k marked up Focus ST from Harris Ford. Holy Christ.

I don't know why but these terrible car dealerships are fascinating to me.

edit: In all seriousness I recommend using Costco Autos. It was the easiest process and I got my absolutely fine, completely reasonable and boring Tiguan for like 6k under invoice. Maybe you can do that with a GTI.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 13, 2017

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Either that or it's a press car.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Is that the engine that fits in a suitcase?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

rowanamethyst posted:

I think I am going to lease it, I just have to wait for my paycheck (we get paid every two weeks).

Hey be careful with that. Historically Ford's "Red Carpet" lease deals have been terrible. The Edmunds forums usually have good info on the money factor and residual info.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Check to see if you have gap insurance. Your case is exactly what it's for.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

fknlo posted:

So I leased my GTI just over a year ago with the intent to buy out the lease. Almost totaling the car obviously changed those plans and now I don't particularly care for making payments on a car that I'm not going to keep. How likely am I to be able to get out of the lease with minimal cost if I get into a 2018 Golf R once those start hitting lots? It looks like there are a couple of different ways that dealerships handle this, how bad does that accident gently caress me in trying to go that route? If it's not a viable option because of that it's no huge deal because I really enjoy the car, I just feel like I'm throwing money away on it at this point.

Best case, you would do an early lease turn in and you'd pay only the remaining lease charges. Since you've only made 12 payments, you still have 24 to go. Worst case, you have to pay the lease charges + residual. My guess is that you're hilariously upside down and you should just wait out the rest of the lease. Especially if your car has had significant damage.

edit: it can be done but you'd have to bring significant cash to the table or buy something with huge rebates. The Golf R isn't going to have any rebates so you'd most likely be financing or leasing like 55k (~42k for the golf r + whatever you're upside down on your gti).

edit 2: it is more likely to be achieved if your remaining lease payments are less than 10k.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 24, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The money has to go somewhere, maybe he's not being honest about what he paid.

edit: like i said, you can do it if the car you're buying has huge rebates. he was most likely not so underwater on the golf r and got leasing rebates on the yukon. bmw is pretty agressive on rebates as well (they have like 3 or 4k for their leases at the moment) so it's possible, but like i said that underwater money has to go somewhere. whether to your next lease, minus rebates or if you put down a lot of money on your next car. it doesn't just disappear.

you could also poke around on lease trader and have someone take over your lease, but i don't think vw credit does that.

edit 2: looks like you can! http://www.swapalease.com/help/lease-company.aspx?leaseco=47 that's your best route.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 24, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Warbird posted:

I want to say that’s been a thing since 2017, but I’m not positive. But yeah, they just rolled it in. Only costs $10k more than the S we’re passing up. Sigh.

I don't know where you live but these are like $6k off in most places. So really it's only $4k difference. Spread out over 84 months, it's not much more!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
You'll most likely be fine. Even more so if you lease or buy another VW.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
How sad would I be if I got a 2017 GTI S vs. a 2018 GTI SE? I don't know if auto headlights is worth the extra 6k.

Also there's the comedy Alltrack option, which I'm heavily considering.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Christobevii3 posted:

Alltrack, swap the gti turbo, swap golf r downpipe, tune, and put gti springs and struts on.

I don't know anything mechanical about cars. This seems like a lot of work.

WescottF1 posted:

Where are you located? The dealership I got my 2017 SE still has one listed on their site for $25802.

Sooooooouth Alabama.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Mobile south.

There are a few 2017 Alltracks near me and it seems like all the 2017 GTIs are S models. I like the plaid seats but have 2 dogs and a baby so the Alltrac seems like the smarter choice. I should note that my other car is a new Pacifica so it may not even matter.

There's also a 2017 Focus RS near me but I don't think the math would work on it.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
It's just one of those things that happens in the South. I've had it happen to me once or twice and I never have food in my car...generally if it rains a lot ants will start looking for a new place to live.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Are GTIs still being sold for really good prices, or has diesel-gate been sufficiently long enough ago?

The low-volume VW dealer near me is selling a 2018 GTI SE for $4200 off MSRP before customer rebates. I imagine higher volume stores are selling them cheaper.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Frieght is usually part of MSRP so unless they're charging twice for it you can't get rid of it. You may be able to get rid of the processing' fee with a fight but they'll probably be really stubborn about it because of the discount you're already getting.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

red19fire posted:

I didn't know Lexus made a hot hatch that's reasonably affordable (to me) and a hybrid? What is the CT200h like, and would I be insane to sell/trade my 2016 Honda Fit for a 2017 model?

Yes you would be insane. The CT200h looks hot (I guess that's up for interpretation) but it's got the regular Prius internals. I seem to remember reading that it has like a 10 sec 0-60. Your Fit is probably hotter and more useful.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

red19fire posted:

Good gas mileage is extremely hot :c00lbert:

It doesn't even get that great of gas mileage. The Fit gets 37mpg highway and the CT200 gets 40.

If you don't like your Fit, that's cool, just say that.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

ishikabibble posted:

Do folks here still own 500 Abarths? Or are they not cool anymore and people have moved on.

But nah, in all seriousness I'm looking for opinions of folks who owned them. I figured here would be a better place to ask than the buying a new car thread since its avout a specific model?

There was a 500 thread like 3-4 years ago but nobody posted in it for a long time and it got locked.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Warbird posted:

Can anyone provide me a good reason not to purchase and mount a horn kit to play Dixie in/on my GTI?

Why would you do this when “la cucaracha” horns exist?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I became a Golf R guy today. It’s a manual and the pedal travel feels like, 6 feet long, but I’m getting used to it.

I love this dumb car.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Thanks folks. I was actually looking for a GTI but this one popped up on Autotrader, was somehow available, and was being delivered in a few days. I guess I was in the right place at the right time with the right amount of money. Manual and black were not on my vision board but here we are. :c00l:

edit: here's a dumb question- summer tires? It gets cold here in Atlanta but not snowy usually, do I need to worry about all seasons or can I live with squirrelly tires the few days when it's cold?

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 29, 2022

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

The biggest things killing the Golf R for me is the bland look and the god awful User Interface controls

I've owned my Golf R for about a month now and the touch controls thing is so overblown. :rolleyes:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

Really? The reviews made it seem like a pretty big deal how unresponsive, overly complex UI and the fact that they don’t light up at night was very much highlighted, I can forgive stiff suspension however it’s very dangerous have my attention distracted here so I very much would prefer buttons so I can keep eyes on the road and not fiddle in the dark looking for the volume.

It's fine. There's still volume controls on the steering wheel that are lit up, but even if you wanted to adjust the volume on the dash, there's two ridges denoting where the volume touch strip is. One mistake I've seen repeatedly in videos is that they're tapping the volume strip where they should be sliding their finger left and right.

I can see being irritated with it because the reviewers are only with a car for a couple of days but seriously there's so many UI shortcuts that it's really not a big deal. I have disabled the voice control because I don't want to talk to my car.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Midjack posted:

I just test drove a Veloster N at Carmax. It's, uh, good. It does a few things better than my dear departed Civic Type R. I'm going to have a hard replacement choice.

my problem with the hyundais is the interior. just the hardest, monotone black plastic everywhere.

i looked long and hard at the kona n and just couldn’t do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

MunchE posted:

So I just passed my breakin miles on my new Elantra N. Really loving this goofy little car so far. Getting it out to Time Attack and AutoX in February and can't wait to see my times. Am I allowed even though my car has a trunk?

Also we're in the few months a year where all of my fun mountain roads are inaccessible so I'm fiending for a nice scenic drive :(

That gray looks really nice on the Elantra N!