Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Finch! posted:

Bad news. Australian pricing for the Audi RS3 has been released and it looks like it won't be possible to get one with a comparable specification to the Mercedes A45 I'll be replacing with it for less than $105000, or about $25000 more than the A45. The RS3 is not $25000 more car. Audi Australia have completely missed the mark.

Are you kidding? That's outrageous pricing. And the reviews of the RS3 haven't been totally gushing either. Why the hell would you buy one over an A45...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

spleen merchant posted:

My 16 yr old, high mileage Peugeot GTi has been a little too unreliable for something I'm now using for work, so I've been after something newer.

I test drove a Fiesta ST which was an awesome car, the only thing I could fault was it felt the accelerator was too far recessed to heel-toe properly.
I decided I wasn't quite done with high-revving French silliness so now I'm waiting on delivery of this little guy:

Renault Sport Clio 200 Cup Trophee
I've had my eye on these for a while and I'm having to go off reputation as the one I was going to test drive sold while I was on my way to check it out (this ones coming from the opposite side of the country). This is the previous generation, and probably last of the old school naturally aspirated hot hatches - the new ones have gone to a 4-door, turbo, dual-clutch-auto setup to take on VW's market.

Great choice. My dad has one of these and this got me into the world of Renaultsport. The engine is hands down a gem, NA and revs to 7500. Brilliant chassis and handles like it's on rails. You won't be disappointed. One of the last of the last truly great Renaultsport cars before they got into this softer, DSG-only era.

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Still brilliant. I fear they're going to go DCT for the new gen.

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Very nice. Can we get a write up?

Happy to. Anything specific you'd like to know?

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not particularly - I have a FoST but really like French cars. Tell me about the weird French car things if there are any. After that, interior and driving experience.

I've owned it for two years and besides a recently bung battery it's been solidly reliable. No mechanical quirks but a few electronics ones you may appreciate:

- Trip computer can’t compute ‘est. km left’ if there’s less than a quarter tank, which is when you actually need it
- Reversing camera has three unofficial modes it will select at random - strobe, blank, acid trip colours
- Sat nav randomly crashes and needs to reset
- Turning on the rear wiper is always a gamble. It may turn off when you ask it to. It may keep wiping forever, even when you turn the car off
- All the controls are on or behind the steering wheel, which is fine. This includes cruise control on, off, and increase/decrease speed. But to activate cruise control? That’s a switch hidden next to your left hip
- Engine cut-off at lights (already annoying on a manual car) is supposed to be deactivated when on sport mode, but will activate when it feels like it, except when you want it to

The interior from when I bought it:

Will write up the driving experience tomorrow.