Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nah it's barely more storage than a sedan with flip down rear seats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Etrips posted:

Just got my GTI wrapped. Love my boy racer color. (No but seriously, everything I have is blue.)

owns

what color is it close to if you could approximate it to another vehicle color?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess I shouldn't be doing any more messing around with cars until I get a set of 90 degree crescent wrench adapters for my ratchets

Is that what I'm looking at here?

no, almost nobody ever, ever, ever needs a crows foot

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So i found a few flaws on my GTI since I bought it last saturday on the 1st and noticed a few things:

1 small crack in paint on roof that appears to have a bit of surface rust showing, about the size of a nickle
1 scuff on face of right rear wheel, about the size of a nickle
a few light scratches on the black passenger side mirror

I dont think any of this stuff happened while i've owned it, i noticed the scuff on the wheel right after i got home on saturday (drove it less than 25 miles), mirror scratches found last sunday, the roof spot was noticed on wednesday morning before i went to work.

i think i should bring this up with the dealership but i've never really been in this situation before

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
or go see a PDR guy and throw him 50-100 bucks if you're worried about loving it up yourself

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nah cause then those places charge sales tax, discount tire direct has somewhat blah selection but amazing prices if you buy a set during a holiday sale

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
2500 miles in the first 8 weeks of owning my GTI and i'm still loving it

anyone bought and installed the superpro alloy control arms? these things are expensive (800 bucks) but look like they should last a long time and give a lot of improvement to driving dynamics without any drawbacks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah, slightly better geometry with poly bushings

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7832&page=9

and they are aluminum instead of stamped steel

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I cannot imagine running a not-summer tire on the Focus ST and I imagine the GTI is kinda similar- high-horsepower FWD cars need alllll the traction they can get

my dude, the limited slip is quite good on the GTI

i'm going to keep my warranty intact for the powertrain warranty so the only things i'm really looking at are exhaust/tires/wheels and possibly control arms for the first 3-4 years i have this thing.

i have some nice michelin as 3+ tires in 235 on a set of bmw wheels that i'll transfer over to some lightweight 17x8 wheels soon enough

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how about you just let it go and let this poster buy whatever tires they want?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

It doesn't matter what tire you have in Texas. No one there knows how to drive anyway :)

My short vacation in Austin this year showed me they aren't as bad as Seattle drivers

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cellular Suicide posted:

My FiST's window sticker listed "SUMMER TIRES" and I'm an idiot so I assumed they were, without looking at the sidewall. I bought winter tires, then looked at the dismounted tires and...they're Pilot A/S 3's. So now I have a set of all seasons and a set of winter tires, and no summer tires. That's my story thanks for listening.

well on the plus side those are really great allseason tires

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
5y/60k on powertrain

glad we've had a page of back and forth over something i'm still not interested in

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

poo poo, it's not even about tracking, it's about getting the thing onto a flatbed without bending something under the car.

they're so reliable they'll never need to be on a flatbed :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:argh: go figure that discounttiredirect is having another nice holiday sale where i could get 160 bucks off a set of wheels that I already wanted to get, konig hypergrams in 17x8 @ 16lb each

but of course they are on the website but out of stock :argh: :argh: :argh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PabloBOOM posted:

I was stoked to see the sale roll around too. But then the site told me they have NO tires the right size for my poor widdle 17" spec GTI. So much for waiting for a sale to replace my tires...

225/40/18 right? there's tons of options.

put in your size instead of letting it pick based on vehicle

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 1, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You modded it didn't you

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
why are you removing it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah exactly. vw sunroofs are loving terrible and you should let them handle it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
let the dealership figure that out

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sold my e46 and it's time for aftermarket wheels on my GTI

which color looks better? 2017 gti in white

edit fixed links

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 11, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
optionally i could plasti dip them since they would be new they would be very easy to paint

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'd go for the brighter color. Are you getting new tires as well? The tire rack package to mount balance is super nice. Bolt off/bolt on.

i've got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ that were on my e46 with only 1-2k miles on them and i'll remove them and put them on the new wheels.

BlackMK4 posted:

Does the GTI offset have that face?

pretty sure yeah, i'm looking at getting 17x8 size

they look the same in these pics i found:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8625745-Konig-Hypergrams-OEM-GTI-Wheels

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can still find 17 sport models on the lot and they're fairly cheap if you're on the east coast

they have perf package, lighting package, and no dumb as poo poo sunroof

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

If I had it to do over, I'd have sat on my my 11 TDI until they bought it back. But at the time I had a good job and wanted an R. So I got double hosed because I traded in my TDI 6 weeks before the cheat scandal broke. I would have gotten 22k for my TDI on buy back instead of the 12k I got for trade in. And at the time I traded the car in for my R I still assumed I wasn't going to have to quit my job to keep from killing my boss. I don't regret buying my R, i just regret the timing I bought it.

you got fair market value for it though. your car's value would have plummeted to 4k within a month of the scandal and you would have waited in limbo for over a year before the settlement was available

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's every car

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pricey @ 380 bucks, but kinda impressive that replacing a golf R stock harmonic dampener with a performance fluidampr managed to increase performance by 7 hp and 11lb-ft

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4621/PageID/12161/Project-Golf-R-MKVII-Fluidampr-Test.aspx

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm definitely not going to do it, just interesting to see what happens when you replace a stock one with a higher quality one

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
no you can DIY it

imo it's prohibitively expensive to pay so much for a professional to apply it and it only lasts a few years

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

If you need to save a few bucks on your insurance maybe you should have gotten a cheaper car? Hell of a lot of info to freely give to a company that could potentially use it against you.

yeah seriously gently caress this nonsense

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
loving christ i bought a set of konig hypergrams in 17x8 and they wont clear the Performance Package front brakes on my GTI :suicide:

what a lovely fuckin birthday lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

5 or 10mm might fix it, it's not hitting the barrel just the spoke. i found a tuunah shop near my work that stocks spacers and longer bolts.

other than it looking a bit odd, will i be okay if i leave two of the new wheels on the rear of the car and drive on the stock wheels up front for a day? the rear diameter is just slightly bigger than stock.

I'm going from 225/45/18 on 18x7.5 wheels to 235/45/17 on 17x8 wheels which is a 0.8% change in diameter.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 28, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

How tucked are these???

tucked?

oh and another fun discovery, aftermarket wheels need conical bolts and stock ones are ball type

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Why the hell would I need a 9 inch wheel for 235s? They don't sell this wheel in a vw bolt pattern in 17x9 anyway.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

honestly I just dont get the appeal of pre-riced.

but then i like to do fun stuff to cars instead of having it done for you, and that one just screams boy racer so hard it would likely get pulled over while parked empty on a street.

i think you're conflating rice with ugly

this car is fast as hell and has the aero bits to make magic happen

rice is superfluous poo poo that makes the car supposedly look like a race car but is of course still slow as hell

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I can't fit in either :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Finally got my konigs mounted up

So the offset of these wheels is 10mm outward from the stock wheels and i had to use spacers up front for another 10mm, total distance out is now 20mm from stock with 235 tires instead of 225

Honestly its kinda a bummer they stick out so much up front...not sure i like the final result.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

100% Dundee posted:

The stick out doesn't look too bad to me. Moreso just the fact that those styled wheels with those chunky tires and stock ride height make it look like you're running 14 inch baby wheels. If it was lowered about an inch would probably greatly help since you'd get rid of most of that fender/wheel gap.

i'm only not keen on the wheels sticking out so much because i dunno if they'll hit the fender under cornering

not sure i'll lower it yet

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah I only use the paddle shifters, never use the shifter. I'm at 6100 miles after just 4 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my commute went from 23-24miles/day to 50-53 miles a day :(