Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You don't need AWD to have a fun and fast car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It helps bad drivers not appear to be bad drivers too

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

It's Rhyno. His posts practically invite people to make fun of him. :) He's been around long enough (and knew the answer to his question obviously before asking it). I wouldn't try to burn a newer poster or somebody I didn't recognize. Take it easy, internet defender.

Back OT, I bought a hot hatch. 2017 Sport w/DSG. Here's the last time it'll be clean and not have any door dents. :v:

excellent choice, FRiend

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
same model of tire? there are a few different blizzacks

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just have your mechanic look for tool marks on fasteners around the turbo, downpipe and air filter/intake system.

wheels don't necessarily mean the car was modified and returned to stock, especially considering those are just cheapo xxr wheels.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that price seems good for CA

i would not expect any significant discounts when the 18s hit the lots.

sport model is going away in 18 and it's back to a S/SE/Autobahn options.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TraderStav posted:

I'll be in the market for a new-to-me (2016-2017 model likely) car in mid-2018 and have been eyeing the Civic hatchback. What are some of the consensus thoughts on this? I like the stylings and amenities that Honda provides. I have three kids, but won't be the primary vehicle they'll be in so just need something that they can reasonably fit in from time to time. Bonus points for throwing the dog in the trunk which has me leaning toward hatches, which I've always had a fondness for.

it's not really much of a "hatchback"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Ha, 125K on the clock. Guess that explains the price tag! I still want a FiST next year but I need to get a disposable daily as well. There's a KIA Rio for $1100 around the corner!

your MS6 is definitely disposable

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

a mysterious cloak posted:

So after having my hot hatch dreams dashed by Hurricane Harvey, we've had an unexpected windfall and a GTI is now on the front burner, hopefully in the next two weeks.

I'm undecided between going used vs. new, although it looks like I might be able to get a 2017 at a decent price. Otherwise I'm looking at lower mileage 2015s or so. Any advice other than "go for a test drive?"

almost none of the 2015's will have the performance package, if that matters to you. 17 sport will have it, along with no lovely sunroof.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

This. Though if you're looking for one with a performance pack, the best way to tell visually that I've found is seeing "GTI" on the front calipers. I went with a '17 Sport because they're pretty cheap for what you get (used was about the same price :wtc:) and it was the best trim for what I wanted. Cloth seats, no sunroof, the performance package, and a decent infotainment. The 16's are the first year to get Android Auto too, if that matters to you.

another way to tell if it has PP is if the GTI logo will be red on front grill or rear hatch

if it's silver it doesnt have it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yes you will have to pay off any difference between the owed amount and what they pay you for the car

at least with 0% interest you probably were making large payments to cut down the owed amount pretty fast

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Imo that's a pretty good price and I couldn't get remotely close to that in the Seattle area

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crescendo posted:

I'm thinking about getting new wheels for my Golf GTI, and I kind of want to go in an weird direction: some OZ Racing Anniversary 45s!

I know this will be a really polarizing choice, but I'm not completely insane to think they look kind of sweet, right? They have a retro-cool factor, I like the pedigree (even if it is mostly just marketing), and they're certainly unique. I also definitely think they're 'ugly', but in an interesting way that grows on you and makes you do a double-take.

Here are some mock-ups:

Please tell me I haven't completely lost my mind! :henget:

really bad imo, but i hate that 80s style of wheel on anything

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Taima posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on JB4 vs. a stage 1 tune?

I know that the tune can do more in terms of HP/Torque, but it irreversibly registers on your car as well, vs. the JB4 which is a full bypass so there's no real way to check for that.

I got the DSG specifically for the dual clutch so I could tune it without worrying about the transmission. I just don't know if it makes any sense to do a stage 1 right now when my warranty could be voided I guess, theoretically?

The thing is I don't want to just shoot $400 into the ether (which is basically what would happen if I went JB4 and then decided on a tune later).

Thoughts?

Invest in better tires before you add power.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
AWD drifting in snow/ice is tons of fun

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crescendo posted:

No that anyone cares, but I'm the guy who went temporarily insane last week and was seriously thinking about getting these OZ wheels:

I came to my senses today and decided to order some Volk Racing TE37 Sagas instead. They are absurdly expensive but I couldn't stand the idea of getting replicas.

I will have real pictures for the thread in a few months when they arrive in the county......yes, months. :(

hell yeah good choice

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nah they're forged aluminum but you should be able to notice the lighter wheels, but how much you notice it will depend on if you are keeping the existing tires or upgrading to a better compound.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
im averaging 27.5 mpg over the first 8k miles in my GTI and that's with the DSG

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crunchy Black posted:

Am I weird for hating the "upgraded" wheels on mk7's? Most of the reason I just stuck with a base.

Yes, normal, as in most vehicles.

are you referring to the nogaro wheels? yeah they arent great but i dont like the austins much either.

i moved to aftermarket wheels pretty quickly

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Maybe where he bought it from, but VW ain't gonna warranty a clutch.

its most likely due to the previous owner but there's absolutely no reason to not have it taken into the dealership and try to get it fixed under warranty.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Korbin posted:

I have Pilot Sport A/S 3s on my Fiesta. A little on the expensive side but I'm a fan.

i have AS3+ in 235 on my gti and they are much better than the stock pirellis

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
blkmk4 did you sell the is300?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
edit: nm

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 9, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
add it to the list of poo poo you claim your gonna buy/do and never do

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I'm just very indecisive and also gently caress cost of ownership on BMWs.

cuck

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did my first oil change on the MK7 yesterday and it was amazingly easy with my schwaben oil extractor. first time i've changed oil and filter without touching pavement :v:

i'm @ 9k miles and the car had finally consumed just a bit over a quart since new and tripped the "oil level low" warning.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

If you don't have an extractor, they made it stupid easy this time around. The pan is composite and the drain plug is one that is like half a turn to seat/lock, instead of a regular bolt. Good VW.

yeah but you're also supposed to throw out the plug and replace with new every time :laffo:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Its all due to how you break it in, so let me post my 25 page write up on how to do it properly, including poorly understood engineering terms and unsubstantiated claims

namaste

PaintVagrant posted:

Is eating a quart of oil normal in the first 9k miles?

vw's standard for "excessive oil consumption" i like 1qt per 1k

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

2k miles on mine and I haven't even looked at the dipstick.

its the greatest feature of owning a new car, not checking a single loving thing ever

and then you get to the 6 month mark and...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You should contact the department of insurance in both states.

or your state's attorney general

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
they're not going to be hidden, they're not going away

:dealwithit:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

a mysterious cloak posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you find yourself messing around with? I don't have any long drives under my belt, just my daily commute, but I typically have something queued up that'll get me there and/or back each day, but other than that I don't fiddle with it much. Unless I just want to see how low I can get the eco-trainer thing to go, or look at the performance dials (attn. VW - add a PSI gauge to the little dashboard screen!).

you mean on the head unit? there is a gauge for boost pressure

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:laffo:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
your new gti needs better tires more than it needs more hp

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone with a mk7 put a clubsport s muffler on their car? i'm considering picking one up and i'm not sure if i should have it welded on (cause i have no intention of removing it) or use one of the OEM clamp style fittings to install it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nah no downpipe or ecu reflashes until i hit higher miles.

clamp it is!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
there are no us vendors that sell them but it's about 400-425 shipped from this website:

https://cars245.com/en/item/audi-volkswagen-5G6253609DD-rear-silencer/

plus 23 bucks for the clamp

https://cars245.com/en/item/audi-volkswagen-1K0253141AA-clip/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I still want a GT350, but not 60k want. I hope they end up dirt cheap in ~5 years.

search your heart on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
25mm rear swaybar ordered for the GTI, gonna be great.

was planning on getting the clubsport muffler but i'm stuck paying 2k for this years taxes so i'll wait for now.