Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still cringing at the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is it the later model isf? Those were supposed to be quite good compared to the m3 of that era

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is that a stage 1 flash?

Back in April I bought a Cobb accessport from from stratified tuning

I just got around to flashing the custom ECU e-tune (kinda like an ots tune but they tweak it a bit for a lot better drivability and a bit more power than ots Cobb tunes) and their custom dsg tune.

It's so good. So so so so sooo much better than the Cobb tune.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the emissions situation like up in WA? Standalone ECUs pass or is it strict?

emissions testing only in king, snohomish, pierce (and maybe one other county?)

however it's slated to be retired soon and i dont think there will be any testing after that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://ecology.wa.gov/Air-Climate/Air-quality/Vehicle-emissions/Emissions-check-ends

After 38 years, Washington’s emission check program will end Jan. 1, 2020. After this time, vehicle owners will no longer be required to have their vehicle’s emissions tested before renewing their registration. Vehicles scheduled for testing in 2019 still need an emission test before they can renew their tabs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
turn on your monitor

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I haven't bought a car in six years, how do I haggle when a car is halfway across the country?

https://www.fordofkirkland.com/used/Ford/2017-Ford-Fiesta-fc397b680a0e0ae949cd3e09ea8c82c7.htm

a salesman at this dealer was an absolute loving oval office to me when i test drove a fiesta st and then wanted to try the focus st and the dude refused to let me try it out. permanently on my shitlist.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao imagine flying across the country to get fisted

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i already told you that dealer fuckin sucks bro

what you have to do is to pay the tax and then later request a refund

https://dor.wa.gov/find-taxes-rates/retail-sales-tax/sales-nonresidents

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 12, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Presenting Nipples posted:

So I am heavily considering buying this 2017 GTI SE for $20K with 13K miles. Link here.

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated on the car and handling the purchase process. It is really low miles, so I am wondering if it is worth the inspection. It seems really inexpensive for the miles/package.

I haven't owned a car in a few years, but decided now is the time to get out of the city more and actually explore the PNW. I was also considering a new Veloster type N, but this is cheaper and my significant other can drive it. Plus, I haven't driven manual in quite a long time.

it's probably been tuned...these cars should really have a tune if they have an aftermarket intake. id say you should ask for information about how the car was tuned and walk away if they say it wasnt or dont have any information

the price is a bit low, maybe 1-2k less than what that would typically command? not necessarily a bad sign

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 17, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Presenting Nipples posted:

Thanks, I asked them and he said "It just has the intake and lower springs no tune"

Mostly curious, why should I walk away?

price seems just a bit too low and you would be wise to not trust someone selling a modified car with fairly low mileage under market value prices. in 2019, if they really did an intake without tune they are a bad car owner.

lucky for you there should be plenty of GTIs available in the area. (im biased) but i'd recommend a 2017 sport model (not S) worth seeking out if you dont need leather seats or a leaky sunroof but still want the perf package, nice headlights and keyless entry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
or you know, just keep shopping!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:ck5:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

I went Konig Dekagram 18x8.5 ET43 and some 245/40R18 Michelin ps4s.

those look like hypergrams bruh

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

They have a 13 gallon tank. I've never been able to get more than 11 in it.

same

I only occasionally go to 11 :cool:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

Can anyone provide me a good reason not to purchase and mount a horn kit to play Dixie in/on my GTI?

2/10 trolling

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Warbird posted:

Is there a way to pause music on a GTI infotainment system? Obviously I can do it via navigating to the app playing music and pausing it via the screen, but there isn’t a way to quickly pause audio that doesn’t involve turning off the system.

with ios 13 carplay now has a split screen between "now playing" and whichever map app you're using

other than that there's a mute button which doesnt pause it but also wont turn off the radio

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its a physical button, upper right corner i think?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's under 15 minutes! :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ugh those rear fender lines

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
might as well test drive the Honda too but both should be fine as long as you don't modify them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks like poo poo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dsg was absolutely an option on the R

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mk8 is not out yet

also there is not GTI R

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'd wait for the Yaris to come out it might be really good.

its still gonna be really ugly

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
take it back and tell them to smoke the whole pack clutch and buy you a new one once they're done

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's an e-diff so it wont help with traction off the line but it does pretty well for helping in the turns.

the performance pack was optional (and thus, not ordered) for most GTIs 15-17, but was a standard option on the Sport trim in 2017 (only year for that trim).

for 2018+ the perf package is standard on SE/Autobahn trims.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15096088/2017-volkswagen-golf-gti-tested-review/

im at 29k miles on my Sport, flashed the ecu and tcu last spring and i have no regrets. it's stupid fast for a fwd car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it was probably incorrectly marketed that it had a mechanical diff but it does not

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...q-works.351185/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did you have the stock tires on it the entire time? imo it's actually really effective, especially with better tires

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice that they offer the limited slip on the S model now

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did they fix the stalling issue on 2019s?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup the first few years of new car ownership is easy and cheap

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rusty posted:

I don't like changing mine either, but you can use an extractor on the GTI and the filter is also accessible under the hood so I plan on just doing that. Also, it's every 10k or a year, so the two years maintenance is just two oil changes I think.

yeah i got one for my gti and it works on my wife's cx5 as well. great purchase!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
why are you running 87 octane

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
1 dollar difference? what the gently caress?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
average price for premium in wa state is 2.99

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmaooo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you have access to an ozone generator that will probably help with any lingering odor

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
finally hit 30k right at the 3 year mark on my gti, time to service the VAQ differential.

might just have the dealership do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Jesus, we're just about to hit 100k on our not-quite 4 year old Macan.

Only 20k more miles until the 3rd PDK service!

the most ive done in a year was...32k i think? awful to think how much time i spent driving when i was 23