Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

SFH1989 posted:

For my next car I'm considering a FiST, WRX, new EB Mustang, or a lightly used 13/14 GT. I'd love a FoRS but I'm doubting that it will be reasonably affordable or easy to get.

This is exactly the situation I find myself in. I haven't gotten to test drive any of them yet, but street buzz has me leaning towards the FiST. Several trackday friends have let me know that the FiST is a great daily fun car, which is part of why I'm looking at it.

EDIT: I fuckquoted the wrong post. Joyous me.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Anyone got input on the FiST Recaros? I've been trying to track down one to test-drive, but the closest one is 280 miles away (and in that awful, high-school-cool lime green color). How necessary is the Recaro package?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mcqueen posted:

Can you even spec a 370z to 50 grand?

If It's the Nismo Tech version, sure.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Well, I just got back from testing out a FiST. It was sold over the phone literally while I was test driving it. Impressions: The gas pedal is god-awful deep compared to the brake. The shifter also feels really high and forward. The boost torque is nice, but runs out fast. It rolls the sidewalls with even moderate lane-to-lane input. And the steering wheel is SOFT, like gripping a pillow tightly.

Now to test out a WRX tomorrow and see if it feels like 7K more car.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KakerMix posted:

I bet the interior won't feel like 7k more.

Almost certainly not. I was really impressed with the quality of the feel of the interior, given that it's a 21K-ish car. And comparing it with the last time I sat in a Ford interior, a 2010-ish Focus? Amazing improvement. Plus, you know, Subaru interior.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GutBomb posted:

The sunken gas pedal in the fiesta is a common gripe and I too feel the shifter is in an awkward place, but I got used to it quickly. I might get the pedal spacer kit for the gas pedal.

I was talking with the salesman about how I would be tracking it, likely modifying it, and when I went to heel-toe downshift as we slowed to turn onto the slip ramp up to the highway, I caught nothing but air. I did notice that the throttle "hangs", for lack of a better term, between shifts. At first I thought it had a 50 lb flywheel but now I suspect it's some sort of hamfisted attempt to imitate rev-matching.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
There is no way the WRX is $5K more car. And the Premium is even moreso not $7K more car. I guess FiST it is. And nearly-immediate Cobb'ing.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

AnimalChin posted:

My GTI came with all-season tires, but I live by the coast in North Carolina. Could I use Summer tires year round? Or get some summer tires and use the all-seasons as my "winter" tires?

Hi I'm new to cars. I've been driving pickup trucks for the past 2 decades.

I drove in Raleigh during the nasty-rear end winter (for the south) we had in 2013 on summer tires. You'll be fine with "summer-only" tires.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

So I use Bridgestone RE71R's in the winter. Which tires should I switch to for summer that will have better grip for worse economy? :smug:

Falken Azenis RT615Ks. They're also a little scary in heavy rain.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Poisonlizard posted:

Ok, little confused here. Are you guys saying this took out play in the clutch pedal? My 13 FoST has never had a bit of play in the pedal. 1/8 off the floor and it's slipping, 1/16 from rest and it's slipping. I'd love a little play in it.

Like most manual transmissions cars, the FoST and FiST have clutch pedal helper/return springs. They push the clutch pedal upwards to meet the driver's foot, and depending on how strong they are, they can make the clutch feel heavier, or make it feel numb. Removing the spring means the pedal is only being pushed back to the driver with the clutch's spring, not the helper, which means the clutch pedal will only travel upwards to the point that the clutch is engaged, possibly leaving some "slop" or wiggle room at the top of travel.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BigPaddy posted:

...They don't have a hydraulic clutch? I am so used to one by now that going back to an unassisted one would feel weird for a little bit. Are the USDM FiST and FoST close to the EU versions?
The FiST has a hydraulic clutch, and although I don't know for certain, I'm pretty sure that the FoST does as well. As for differences between US and UK FiST and FoST? No idea. I know the trim levels between the two sales regions are different.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I've got an appointment to go in and order a Fiesta ST (because apparently black-on-black with Recaros is a combo nobody wanted) - aside from the Recaro package, are there any other must-have options? I didn't see any on the online configurator, but...

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

The Locator posted:

With black on black you should request an upgraded A/C package and a lifetime pass at the local carwash.
I live in the south, as well. Humid hot days are in my future - and probably ceramic window tint.

SFH1989 posted:

Illuminated Fiesta logo door-sill plate.

And molten orange with matching interior because that's proper hot hatch color.

I currently own a bright yellow Porsche. I don't need : Anything that calls attention to me; anything designed to call attention to the model trim.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

xsf421 posted:

As someone who owns a black fiesta, it shows every single speck of dirt. Scratches also stand out quite vibrantly. I don't think I've managed to get the thing truly clean since I bought it.

Take it to a detailer, or wash it, claybar it, and then keep it waxed.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GutBomb posted:

Maybe I should just get some black wheels and be done with it.

Buy aftermarket ceramic pads to replace the stockers, enjoy reduced brake dust?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

opengl128 posted:

Dust went down considerably on my MS3 when I switched from the OEM front pads to Hawk HPS.

If dusting went DOWN when you got HPS I shudder to think of what it must have been like before.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

mad.radhu posted:

Here's 57 images from the ST Octane Academy, and the museum at Miller Motorsports park, which is packed full of GT40s and Shelby cobras. http://imgur.com/a/JGFgi

So, how much does that cost?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

8ender posted:

Things I say about my poverty spec Audi A3

I have to special-order one to get a Recaro car WITHOUT Navigation and/or Moonroof. Why would I want to pay over a grand more for wheels i'm going to replace anyways, or navigation I'm going to ignore in favor of my phone's app, or floor mats that'll be thrown out in favor of Weathertech ones?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BigPaddy posted:

Drum breaks are fine on the rear, discs on the rear imo is really a cosmetic thing for road cars.

Yeah, except for the entire "pretty much all modern consumer cars use rear brake actuation for stability control, and in some cases, to increase turning capabilities" thing that's going on.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Dr.Caligari posted:

I think it's less about racing as it is other situations where the back end might slide, such as ice/snow/rain. It just doesn't hurt that it can also be toted as a 'racing feature' when talking about a car like the ST's

Notice I didn't mention "torque vectoring", the poor-man's poor-man's LSD. Which is precisely the same thing as what's happening on the rear disks, but on the driven wheels; the ST has it (as does my Cayman). And let me tell you, if you DO drive like racecar all the time, it will eat your pads and rotors at an incredible rate.

A Quaife diff (which is just a poor man's LSD) is only another grand, why not replace the factory open diff with a Quaife?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Well, whoop-de-frikken-do. After waiting patiently for 5.5 weeks, I was informed today (after finally breaking down and calling the dealer) that my estimated delivery time of 6-8 weeks is looking now more like 8-11 weeks. That's what I get, I suppose.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ehud posted:

I didn't find any used Fiesta ST's for under 17.5k when I was looking at cars. And they were base models.

17.5K is a good price for a used one. Most of the used STs around the area I'm at are advertised for around $500 under MSRP for base model, $1500 under MSRP for loaded models.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Two posts up, friend.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fknlo posted:

Nice! I don't see myself buying another VW at this point, but I'm sure the R would be fun.

I'm kind of interested in seeing if the rumor where something on the Focus RS is getting pretty much as much power as it can take without breaking is true before I really start looking at them. I reckon it will be pretty obvious within the first couple of months after they're out.

What turbocharged 2.3L do you know of that makes 345HP and ISN'T pushed close to the reliability limit? That's a lot of power out of not a lot of displacement, and it's got a factory warranty.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ilkhan posted:

That's a dealer warranty, not a Ford warranty. Go to a different dealer and try to get repairs covered.

Ford offers factory warranty coverage on Ford dealership-installed or Mountune-installed Mountune modifications. If the dealership is doing Mountune mods on FiSTs and FoSTs, then, yeah, it's a factory warranty.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's also likely to be an extremely mild tune, and priced higher than what you'd normally pay.

I thought this would have been the case as well, but since I'm getting (now "maybe getting") a 2016 Fiesta St, I looked into it. Mountune offers a 230 HP/250 ft-lb crank package for about 3K, whereas Cobb (who is probably the most popular FiST tuner after the Matt F thing) offers a 210HP/270ft-lb ATW kit for around $3000.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

Color me impressed, that wasn't the case with a lot of other factory-supported mods.

I'm look at you, Dinan.

EDIT: vvv I'm sayin' Dinan.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 31, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GutBomb posted:

They have a $20k supercharger kit for the FR-S

$26K, but it's not really for the FR-S. It's a loophole part developed to allow them to supercharge the FR-S for a particular racing series. You have to buy 2, first off, and it's not available from normal TRD parts dealers.

EDIT:

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 31, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I no longer own a Porsche Cayman. I now own a Fiesta ST. Weathertech floormats and a pedal relocation kit is already ordered. Now flip-flopping between a Quaife diff or a "Stage 2" kit.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Residency Evil posted:

I have to ask: why go from a cayman to a fiesta?

Several reasons, really. One of which was that it's nearly impossible to have a long weekend away with the passenger room and cargo space in the Cayman. The amount of time I've spent on the track lately vs. the street doesn't really justify having a car that's only fun on the track versus one that's fun on the road and does decently on track. The Cayman's limits are so high, you can't really have fun with it on the street (at least, not around where I live) and not go to jail in short order. The FiST lets me beat the poo poo out of it and only get a ticket if I'm dumb, and despite my reviewer's thoughts below, I enjoy it.

Also, my car note was cut nearly in half, insurance is cheaper, it's loads cheaper to upgrade and maintain. Plus I have short friends that can actually sit in the back, so bringing people along on trips to vineyards, hikes, rafting, etc. is an option.

GutBomb posted:

I'm betting pregnant wife.

God, no. I'll not be having any children, thanks. The older I get, the less attractive a squalling poo poo-monster who requires you to change your entire life seems.

My thoughts so far on the FiST after living with it for a week:
Upgrades: Instantly glad I bought the accelerator pedal extender kit. Weathertech mats are as good as they always are, barring the fact that the fully-depressed clutch pedal arm comes into contact with the lip of the mat, making an annoying rasping noise when shifting. Mountune intake kit was a decent bargain, although the silicon hose replacement to the intake manifold is a bitch to fit and still be able to get the airbox bolted back in. Speaking of that, who the gently caress designs an airbox secured with four hex bolts and puts one of them under the air intake hose?

General: Side visibility is better than some other new cars, poo poo compared to almost everything else I've ever owned. I'm still having to get used to checking the bubble instead of glancing to the side to check my blind spots, and I don't know why Ford didn't go for an aspheric mirror rather than the stupid bubble. Pretty strange not having a gas cap, AND there not being a locking fuel filler door.

Quality: Fit and finish is abysmal but expected for the sporty version of Ford's cheapest car. There are gaps in excess of 1mm between cloth and plastic trim parts in places, light peeks through the sunroof shade, and the silver plastic on the steering wheel is just a tiny bit too reflective to make driving at an angle to the rising sun comfortable. Several of the body panels don't line up correctly, for example the back bumper and rear fender have a 1.5mm height difference where they meet. Even the carpet feels noticeably cheap.

Seating: The Recaros are a must-have for spirited driving, and I don't see what everyone else is complaining about when it comes to comfort. I hate the headrests, but, that is literally every new car (stupid whiplash safety bullshit). STOP PUSHING MY HEAD FORWARD AT AN UNCOMFORTABLE ANGLE. The large scallops out of the seatbacks to allow the rear seats a bit more legroom are genius and allow my 5'6" friend to sit in the back, no sweat.

Gearbox/shifting: First gear seems short, especially considering the break-in period. The idiotic rev-hang thing is already making my clutch wear way faster than it should; who the hell designs a car that fucks up your shift if you go from third to fifth or third to sixth? Fifth and Sixth gear are just a tiny bit too far away for comfortable shifts, but that's also a function of my seat and steering wheel placement. I can already tell I'm going to have to do something about the 1st -> 2nd shifts, and shifting in general. The motor moves around a ridiculous amount , to the point I've already missed several 1 -> 2 and 3->4 shifts under hard cornering and accel.

Suspension/ride: The car should have come with stronger anti-roll bars. There's an excessive amount of roll for a "sports" car. The ride is decent, pretty good for a sports car, in fact. There's noticeable sidewall flex under cornering, and during hard braking the car starts squirming like a ten year old at church. Great to toss around and feel things happening, though.

Engine: Still in the break-in period. It's great fun squirting up 15 MPH in an instant once boost builds at around 3K RPM. Kind of stumped as to why a 1.6L I-4 only revs out to 6375 RPM, though. And the "overspeed" feature of readline temporarily at 6500 RPM blows my mind. Dafaq, Ford? Definitely going to throw a couple mods and a tune at this thing to increase torque, and therefor, the straight-line fun factor. Not sure if this thing has a proper fuel cutoff for engine braking, though. It barely seems to engine brake at all except in 1st and 2nd, using engine braking on the highway in 6th gear seems to do nothing.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 11, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Larrymer posted:

:lol: If you notice this poo poo then you're :spergin: a bit too hard. I'm no Ford fan but your expectations seem a bit lofty for most any car.

I came from a Porsche. My expectations weren't too lofty for it, or my BMW, or even my Miata.

You a Ford apologist, or only owned super-cheap cars?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ilkhan posted:

You're coming from a Porsche. Expecting Porsche level quality out of a $15k car (ST or not, most of the car is a $15k fiesta) is a bit insane.

Sigma X posted:

Fit and finish is abysmal but expected for the sporty version of Ford's cheapest car.

Sigma X posted:

I came from a Porsche. My expectations weren't too lofty for it, or my BMW, or even my Miata.
R->C->P

I didn't say I was expecting Porsche quality. I was expecting Ford econobox quality, and that's what I got. My observations on the subject are just that, observations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BoostCreep posted:

I must have gotten extremely lucky with my FiST. I got one in the first shipment to dealers, so maybe the quality was higher than others because I literally have none of these issues, and none of the common problems people keep talking about on forums. My 1-2 shift is even smooth, I don't miss gears, and I don't have any issues with a rev hang thing. My clutch seems totally fine at almost 14k miles.

Except for the airbox with hex screws. That poo poo is obnoxious.

I'm going to video the rev hang, probably this weekend. And then tell the dealer I want it gone. I'm almost 100% certain it's designed to hold RPMs at the proper engagement point for the next gear up. The engine is DEFINITELY moving enough to cause me to miss gears, I've done it 4+ times in <600 mi. Got the RMM coming in tomorrow, going to install over the weekend and then take it for a long drive.

EDIT: This is the poo poo I'm talking about :

This is the rear fender/bumper cover:

Other end:

Here a view of where the front bumper cover meets the front driver-side fender:

So, at the top I can slip my finger in:

And at the bottom it's tighter than a gnat's rear end in a top hat:

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 14, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Cellular Suicide posted:

..Also absolutely infuriating: the fuel cutoff is just before the rev limit, and it catches me off guard every single time I intend to rev it all the way up for an aggressive gear change. I haven't conclusively determined whether the Cobb AP fixes this or not but I'm about 99% sold on their 'stage 1' kit either way.

Fun fact: At some point in the production of MY14 vehicles, they lowered the rev limit from 6500 to 6375 without really telling anyone. The very late build date MY14s and MY15s with the from-factory lower limit have different tachometer gauge faces, there's a red line along the bottom of the entire RPM range that slopes outwards to the width of the full line at 6375. Pre-limit-drop cars have tachometers with solid white lines on the tachometer gauge face. Pre-limit-drop cars are flashed with the lower rev limit when they're brought to the dealer for service, without prior notice.

You do, however, get 6,500RPM for up to 2 seconds with Ford's loving ridiculous "overspeed" feature, for the times on the racetrack where you just can't change up a gear but are still on the throttle.

The Cobb redline seems to be 7K.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 14, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

veedubfreak posted:

Clear bras are a thing of beauty. I put just over 200 miles on my R before getting mine and I already had 3-4 good hits on the bumper and 1 on the fender. The bra pretty much hid the ones on the bumper but the 1 on the fender is permanently entombed under the bra. Out here in CO there is pretty much no way possible to ever keep your front end looking good without some sort of bra, or a ton of touch up.

Got the Opti-coat Pro done yesterday and the depth of the black paint is amazing. I'm going to go get some pictures at lunch. The car looks like glass. :thumbsup: would buy again. This stuff. http://opti-coat.net/

I got opti-coat on my Porsche. Looked like my car was made of yellow mirror. Lasted about 6 months. Warranty is poo poo.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 14, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

veedubfreak posted:

How the hell does a brand new car get delivered out of alignment?

Made in Mexico by dudes working 14 hours days for $1.50/hr?

EDIT: Eh, just got a service appointment at the dealership to fix the panel gap/misalignment issues and possibly the rev hang. Also ordered the Dead Hook Motorsports intercooler.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 14, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Today, after filling the gas tank, the FiST stalled twice. At idle. Like a loving shitbox from the mid-80s. And apparently this is a "known problem".

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
The Cobb rear motor mount seems to have fixed the shifting issues I was seeing on hard corners, and cut down on wheel hop during hard launches. Of course, the downside is a noticeable increase in cabin noise and vibration, especially felt though the steering wheel. Definitely livable, though.

Ninja Edit: Apparently, the durometer of the rubber in the RMM was changed to be even softer in the MY15 cars. Or so the rumor goes.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

veedubfreak posted:

No wheel hop with the rear wheels turn :)

Not necessarily true, super-sticky tires on the Miata and BMW both resulted in wheel hop, even after significant suspension upgrades (in the case of the BMW). And the BMW was way, WAY louder due to its bushings than the FiST is.

But hey, last night I got to go gently caress around on some curved roads and rocket out of corners and I forgot all the poo poo I didn't like with it. Still mostly pleased with the purchase.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Mine's in the shop today, first time! They're supposed to fix the awful panel gaps, the rev hang when skip-shifting, and the alignment. Didn't even offer me a rental car; keeping it classy, Ford.