Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'll ask here because you guys probably have a better idea but has anyone ever put an infant car seat in a Golf R? I just want to know whether I can have it sit in the middle and clear my driver seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

D C posted:

Depends on where your seat fits? My girlfriend was in Europe with her sister and her sisters baby recently and they were able to fit it in the back of a Golf with 4 of them in the car so I assume it will physically fit, not sure how that would affect your comfort though.

This is a pretty good insight into how it's likely to fit, so thanks for that.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Bought a Golf R last night - CPO with a little more than 10k miles on it. Very excited and pleased with it thusly.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

fknlo posted:

I'm contemplating trying to get someone to take over my lease after my car is all fixed up and doing something like this. What did it run you?

A little more than 32k. I was looking at a new one for about 40 and couldn't justify it with the '15 on the lot in such good shape.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I'm sitting at my desk reading the manual today :unsmith:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I've put close to 200 miles on my Golf R and I love it so far.

Thanks for the great insight, thread. It's a ton of fun to drive.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I've put close to 200 miles on my Golf R and I love it so far.

Thanks for the great insight, thread. It's a ton of fun to drive.

OK I was driving it like a jackass last night on windy roads home through the rain and now I REALLY love it. Like, it's a fine car to drive normally, but when you really open it up and drive like an rear end in a top hat it becomes SO much more electric.

What do you mean "chip" it?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I can't be driving some riced out bright red caliper having GTI, sorry /sarcasm

Although I did feel I needed AWD. I don't have any regrets.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sat in an RS today and poked a bunch of poo poo. The fact that it was built in Saarlouis shows. I really can't justify the $40k to myself, though.

I bet you'll be able to get one somebody else can't afford for $32 in about 16 months.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

veedubfreak posted:

And cops. Cops will notice the baby blue :rice: every time you go over 55.

Got my first (and hopefully last) ticket in the Golf R this weekend. Was opening it up, seeing what it could do and zipped right past an unmarked trooper in a red camaro. Whoops.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Pretty sure cops don't "see" my silver FoST.

Pretty sure they'd see it at 106.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The Prets are literally a thousand times prettier than the Cadiz, which are one of the only cosmetic things I dislike about the car whatsoever.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

mariooncrack posted:

Don't these go for $21 or $22k new OTD?

"go for"

If you're paying MSRP for an American car in this, the YOOL 2017, you're doing it wrong.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Residency Evil posted:

I don't understand how anyone could look at the Type R next to a Golf R and take the Honda.

Hahaha, I saw an Impreza WRX STi on my way home from work today and thought "drat that thing looks like a fuckin' race car" and then paused a second and realized that my Golf R is essentially the same performance. Totally understated compared to an Impreza which is totally understated itself compared to :rice: the Honda.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The new Civic looks like hot, smelly garbage and I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ugh would someone please just learn me some basics about tyres?

I have a Golf R, I like it. I bought it CPO with fresh really nice all-seasons and lovely VW blades (the 15 wheels) that I want to change.

The tyres are fine, and I've only put like 5000 (?) miles on them, but (TM) Winter Is Coming (TM) and I was thinking it would be a good opportunity to get my tyre/wheel situation switched around.

Costco sells alloy wheels and I think some decent winter-specific tyres. I was thinking to buy some new winter tyres this winter, put them on the blades and then leave those be as my "winter" wheels, before buying summers and new wheels next spring.

Cash is literally zero concern, I just don't want to deal with having to go to the shop more often than I need.

I'd like to get all of this done at Costco because I trust them and like doing business there.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Wow the Tyre Rack plan seems surprisingly painless.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

fknlo posted:

If you go with a dedicated winter set, the 17's off a TDI or lower spec GTI will fit on the R. Clearance will be tight but it absolutely works and tires will be quite a bit cheaper.

Yeah it looks like they have wheels and winters in a 17 that they claim will fit also.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

PaintVagrant posted:

A stock CTR ran 1:42s at gingerman last weekend, breaking FWD time attack records for its class, the class above it, and the class above that.

Despite its ugly rump, it's the best FWD car ever made by a tremendous margin.

The Cadillac or the Yellowbird?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Tire Rack has blizzaks on new 17's for my Golf R that work out to about $1100 installed, is that about what I should expect to pay?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Oo tasty, Costco would install them (presumably on my existing rims?) for $730. I guess I'd need to get new rims and tires for springtime...

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

angryhampster posted:

Yea the temperature is the issue. Highs are almost 60 most of this next week, and I don't want to expose my X-ice tires to those temps. Eastern Iowa has been all over the place temp-wise the last couple weeks.

I'm in Iowa City and getting mine on next weekend. Blizzak baby!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Well my snow tires ended up being a boondoggle, mostly because I'm an idiot.

I was all psyched to get Blizzaks installed from Costco for what ended up looking like a dirt cheap price. I was pretty pumped because I'd stupidly curbed my right front tire in our work parking garage and bubbled it the night before I was due to have them replaced, so it went from "something nice to have" to "urgent project." Unfortunately, I'd ordered tires that were 18" instead of 19" ugghhh. I trusted the tire installation app which said they'd fit, not realizing it was for 18" rims (which I'm pretty sure isn't an option on the Golf R, but still my bad). Couldn't get wheels in a timely fashion, had to special order some Pirelli 19" snow tires instead and go with Discount Tire instead of Costco; long story short it ended up being almost double the cost.

Oh well, you live you learn. Glad it's just money.

Love the feel of the new Pirelli's.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Rhyno posted:

How miserable are Fiat 500's to daily? Not Abarths, just the POP trim level. I need a daily I don't have to care about and there's a few higher mileage ones locally for under $4K.

This car apparently has experienced more severe depreciation than any car manufactured in the past 10 years.

I don't know how much is even a fair price for it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They don't call Nissan the Japanese Chrysler for nothing. Bland, low quality interiors as far as the eye can see.

I'm driving a new Golf as a rental and I am reminded of how good the Golf platform is. I might have to go GTI or Golf R for my next new car in a few years.

So I am about 8 months into owning my Golf R and one of the reasons I bought it was for AWD and the fact that it might help me deal with slick roads during the winter. This morning we had an early morning ice storm with lots of black ice. I had put snow tires on 2 weeks ago and holy poo poo does it just MUNCH on icy pavement. I love it. It's the most fun thing I've ever driven, and even in "drive" shifting and "comfort" tuning, when you drop the hammer it loving roars.

Do always buy Golf R.

Plus two super cute girls that go to my gym drive GTis and they're always looking at me my car :( enviously.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Okay, then just read "snow tires are amazing" from my post that's fine the sentiment is the same.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Crescendo posted:

No that anyone cares, but I'm the guy who went temporarily insane last week and was seriously thinking about getting these OZ wheels:

I came to my senses today and decided to order some Volk Racing TE37 Sagas instead. They are absurdly expensive but I couldn't stand the idea of getting replicas.

I will have real pictures for the thread in a few months when they arrive in the county......yes, months. :(

These are sick AF and now I think I have an idea for the style of rims I'd like to slap on my new summers.

Of course I'm going to get them in black because I'm a baby back basic bitch, and I'm going to get replicas because I want them in a week, for $90 a rim, but the theme is the same.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I bought my R with what turned out to have been a tank full of regular old gas in it, and it would have some pretty bad judder in the low revs and at idle.

Have filled it up since then with premium and it's behaved like an absolute kitten. YMMV.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

PT6A posted:

People seem to drive like dicks around the Golf R, vis-a-vis letting me in at a zipper merge point, and then getting very pissed off when I force my way in anyway. Did I just have an unusual experience or will people get way more pissed off at a VW driving somewhat aggressively than a Mustang doing the same thing?

People ALWAYS let me get away with the Mercedes merge, but I don't usually try it with the Golf-R. The only people I see who try to drive aggressively around me are people in GTIs.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

PT6A posted:

The dealer I bought my Golf R from had no problems letting me test drive one.

I don't know how it could be said to be "really boring," but hey, to each their own :shrug:

I know, I drive it around town and a lot of times it feels like it wants to be going twice the speed I'll let it drive. It's almost too much car for me.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I'm sincerely considering trading the Golf R for a Stinger GT2 because that car looks like a lot of fun and it's a real sedan.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I run Sottozeroes on the Golf R from November through about April and I really like them.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Yeah the golf r is super subtle

And the car seat fits great in it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Residency Evil posted:

It's replacing a Cayman, and I'm hoping to split its (the Cayman's) job between two cars, a hatchback (either a GTI or R) that I can commute in/put miles on/put our dog in on occasion, and a future fun car. I live in eastern PA so snow is not a huge issue. The reason I'm thinking of the R is because it has the power bump and nice European adaptive suspension/LED dash that's unavailable in the US GTI for now.

I usually buy used cars, but I am considering buying new in this case because used cars don't seem to have a huge discount in this case, and because of VW doubling the warranty on its new cars to 6 years. 2019s should be just around the corner right?

You wanna buy a gently used 2015 Golf R? I gotta get something that can fit 2 car seats in the back and while I love this thing it ain't gonna do the trick. I'll throw in a new set of snows (Pirelli Sottos).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Suburban Dad posted:

What are you considering to replace it? I feel like I may be in this situation with my GTI at some point soon and am not sure what to get. Probably just a grown up SUV. :( One car seat is tough enough as is.

I'm going to probably end up buying a Model S actually. My car won't be the family car, it just has to be able to fit 2 car seats. I considered an Outback and an A7 but I kind of want a Tesla.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Used? Not a great car?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

fknlo posted:

How much? Manual or dsg? Provided the other guy isn't interested of course.

$26,000 DSG, it's got probably 25 thousand miles on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I bought my Golf R for 30k and sold it for 25k.

I'm happy to be out of it, and with it, out of the Hot Hatch thread.

Enjoy your speedsters, friends.