Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Went to the local Ford dealership and they had a red Fiesta ST on the lot. Got to take it for a test drive and pretty much fell in love. I didn't have any intention of buying a car today, in fact I was just going along with my lady friend because she was the one planning on testing several cars as she desperately wants a new one. I ended up buying one from a sister dealership, black with moonroof, Recaros and nav at 5% APR (I have terrible credit).Took almost two hours to do the paperwork and she was extremely pissed at me afterwards. I felt really bad, it's my first new car ever but the feeling afterwards once I realized I was a huge douchebag has left me not in the best of moods.

Oh well, such is life. I take delivery in 5-7 days and at least I have that to look forward to. Not looking forward to her not speaking with me any time soon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
If there's a 4th of July sale at Cobb I will be super tempted to pick up the AP/stage 1 kit for my FiST. The increased red-line and boost restriction removal in 1st and 2nd gears sound like it'll be worth it alone. Everything I've read says that it's good for about an additional 20 ft-lbs of torque and maybe 3-4 HP on 91 octane with the off-the-shelf map. The new v103 maps also include launch control and flat-foot shifting which seem neat but probably won't get used much by me. The kit also now includes the rear motor mount which would fix the horrible clunking noise while shifting quickly at high RPMs.

Can anyone who has purchased the AP give their recommendation to push me over the edge? I just received my year-end bonus at work and it's highly tempting right now...

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BoostCreep posted:

Where can I find info about this? I'm coming up empty.

I haven't found anything yet either, I was just hoping there might be a sale tomorrow. I'm probably just going to order it tomorrow anyway!

Edit: screw it, ordered the AP with the rear motor mount. Trip report to follow once installed in the next few weeks!

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 3, 2014

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

GutBomb posted:

I put my winter tires on the FiST this morning was surprised and annoyed that there are no good front or rear jacking points so I can jack up one end of the car at once to put it on stands. I ended up having to jack it up in the corners and squeeze a stand in next to the jack. I searched around various forms and couldn't find anything definitive about front or rear jacking points other than the corners. Annoying.

Agreed, it is annoying. I jacked up my FiST where the lower control arms mount in the front to change my oil.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

GutBomb posted:

I looked there but I was afraid of bending the metal there. Did you use a hockey puck or some sort of pad there?

I've got rhino ramps for oil changes. Hopefully the front overhang isn't an issue.

It seemed the best spot, the metal bent slightly from one of the pokey corners on my friends jack. Next time I'll use something like a hockey puck to prevent that from happening again.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Finally got around to putting the Cobb rear motor mount on my FiST this afternoon after it sat around for a year, it's awesome. Most notable is the rocking back and forth when getting on and off the gas in 1st at low RPMs is gone, the greatly reduced wheel-hop when taking off quickly, and of course the loud thunking noise when shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. It's an excellent bit of engineering and I can't even notice a difference in vibration at idle unless the AC is on but it's completely livable.

So right after I took it out for a test drive after putting in the mount I ordered me up a set of Mountune springs. -1.1" in the front and -.8" in the rear, it looks to make the car have the perfect amount of wheel gap (or lack thereof) from all of the springs I've been looking at. So naturally I'm now looking at getting some new wheels and it appears that the Kosei K8R in the same size and offset as the fancy premium factory set will be available next month. I think they look amazing. I also read a rumor that 949Racing, the manufacturer of the amazing 6UL/6ULR wheels that are so popular with Miata and Civic owners, will be offering them in 4x108 later this year! I may just get some new tires for now (since mine are shot after 12.5k miles) and hold out for the 6ULs. If only the BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2s in 205/40/17 weren't back-ordered everywhere...

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Installed new Mountune sport springs in the FiST today. Overall the ride is smoother, I understand this is due to them being progressive as opposed to linear like the factory springs. Install took about 5 hours with some breaks in between and the rears were stupid easy. Jack it up, take out two bolts, drop the rear torsion bar, pull the springs out by hand, put in the new ones, bolt it back up. Harbor freight $14 spring compressor set was easily worth the money. Thanks to Way2Slow for his assistance and the use of his tools!

Passenger side out:

Spring compressed and removed:

Strut sans spring:

New hotness:

Installation onto strut:

Back in the car:

Front drop, -1.1" (+dirty as gently caress wheels and bald tires, she's getting a bath tomorrow and new shoes next weekend):

Rear drop, -.8":

This was a good learning experience as it was my first time installing new springs. After they settle for a week or two I'm taking it in for alignment. A++ would recommend.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Treated my baby to some new wheels (Motegi MR125 16x7), tires (BFGoodrich gForce Sport COMP-2s, 205/45/16), an alignment (installed new springs last weekend), an oil change and a wash today!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

howling_mad posted:

Nice! How hard were the springs to install? Worth it?

The springs were not difficult at all to install, just time consuming. Using the cheap Harbor Freight spring compressors took the longest but they worked fine and at $15 they were totally worth it. The springs I went with were Mountune Sports and while they are only 5% stiffer than the stockers they are actually a bit more forgiving for every day driving as they are progressive rather than linear. Small bumps in the road aren't as jarring any more and it seems to feel a bit more planted when cornering. I haven't done any spirited driving since upgrading so I can't really comment on their performance as of yet but everything I've read about them says they're definitely worth the price. I was mainly going for the slightly softer every day ride and getting rid of some of that wheel gap. I definitely like them so far!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BoostCreep posted:

I have my first complaint with my '14 FiST. On my drive to work this morning, the AC turned on to full blast by itself several times. I thought I was going crazy and kept hitting the AUTO button somehow, but then I watched it do it again right before I turned the car off. I did some googling and found one other person with the same issue, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue. It's only happened today, so I'll give it a few more days to see if it fixes itself before calling Ford.

Mine does this too, but it's usually the heater on at full blast. Seems to happen most often to me when making left turns over a bumpy road. Annoying but no big deal.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BoostCreep posted:

I've owned 23 cars including my FiST and never once have I had curb damage in my 18 years of driving. The FiST's wheels are a magnet to damage. I feel like a moron driving around with curbed wheels, but the silly low profile tires and the fact that the edge of the rim sits about an inch from the road makes it nearly impossible to avoid in Los Angeles. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

Yep, curbed mine ever so slightly in the first week of owning it then over the next year apparently did it again several more times even though I never felt it. Both front and rear passenger side.

KakerMix posted:

Things like this would drive me up the loving wall. My father in law dealt with a 'suddenly heater full blast' in his 2013 Chevy Truck. And we're in south Florida.

bobfather posted:

Are you joking? Electrical gremlins are the worst sort. Bring your car back to your dealer and have them sort that poo poo out.

I may have overstated how often the heater actually comes on seemingly at random, it's only happened 3 times in 15 months of ownership. Each time it seemed to happen when turning left while getting on a specific freeway on-ramp near my old apartment. Maybe I'll take it in to have them check it out but it's really not a big deal. Just a thing that happens.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Removed the sound symposer from my FiST today, it's so much quieter in the cabin now. I can hear the turbo much more clearly, it sounds so much better without it.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
MAPerformance has purchased a FiST and is starting development on new aftermarket products. They run a blog with some very cool tuning info, I'm looking forward to working with them on my tune after I install the Mountune downpipe I've had sitting around for a few months.

http://www.maperformance.com/blog/

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BoostCreep posted:

I rarely have traction issues in my fiesta. I'd say get whatever a stage 2 kit is and stickier tires and you'll be set.

"Stage 2" in the FiST world is an intake and intercooler upgrade + a tune, likely an OTS from Cobb. Most of the intakes are basically the same, with the only intake actually sucking in cold air being the 2J Racing cowl intake (noisy as gently caress, it sits in the cowl behind the glove box) as all of the others still pull air from near the radiator. Supposedly the MAPerformance intake will be pretty decent as well.

Check out Dead Hook Motorsports for a factory fitment intercooler, Russ (the owner) also now offers tuning for the Cobb Accessport and will give free lifetime tunes if you purchase the AP from them. The same goes for MAPerformance who I will personally be getting tuned by in a few weeks when my DHM intercooler arrives. I just installed my Mountune downpipe and Injen exhaust this last weekend so I'm really looking forward to the tune. Supposedly It'll be putting down about +36.29whp/+63.63wtq (@3,000rpms) over the Cobb stage 1 OTS tune I'm running now, likely a bit more.

Basically the little turbo is maxed out from the factory as far as peak gains go, you'll never make much more power in the top end without a turbo upgrade or an E30 tune. There is a lot to be gained down low in the RPM range through bolt-ons and tuning though. I'm looking forward to seeing the products coming out over the next few months from MAPerformance, next summer I'm planning on going with a bigger turbo, likely a GTX2867r or similar and it would seem these guys will offer the best quality based on their previous work with Evos and now the Mustang Ecoboost. Here's their blog with fairly regular updates on their Fiesta ST and Mustang projects: http://www.maperformance.com/blog/

The most active FiST forums are here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/forum.php

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Cellular Suicide posted:

Has anyone tried the FiST Boomba transmission adapter or mountune quick shift adapter? I love the shift feel of the stock shifter, but it's a little long for me and these adapters claim to reduce the throw by 20%/30% respectively. I'm curious if either live up to their claims, and if the mountune kit is worth double the price.

I have the Boomba transmission adapter as well as their short shifter and all of the bushings waiting to install which I might do this weekend. Will report back on how it feels. I've been reading that setting the short shifter to the shortest setting can cause the linkage to pop out where it attaches to the shifter due to being at a much smaller angle. This can be somewhat rectified by using a couple of beefy zip ties in an X pattern around the linkage/bushing to keep it from happening, or just running it at the medium setting.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Ringo Star Get posted:

Is it better to get an actual short shifter, or just a kit that does the job?

This is for an ST. I see kits that you install under the hood, and full shifters that require getting into the assembly in the cabin.

The transmission adapter (installed under the hood) probably provides enough throw reduction for most people. The benefits of the Boomba short shifter are the additional reduction in throws as well as doubling the stock 15 degree bend to 30 degrees in the shifter itself. A lot of people (tall drivers who have their seats way back) find the stock shifter location to be too far toward the center console and they have to lean forward in order to comfortably shift into 1st, 3rd, 6th, and reverse. Bending it further towards the driver improves this for those people.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

nuclear_cheetos posted:

Any other FiST owners feel like the gearbox is a little rough from 1st to 2nd? Everything else is really smooth (though there is an audible clack) but up shifting there feels like I'm doing something wrong no matter where I'm at on the tach when I do it.

Absolutely, shifting from 1st to 2nd almost always results in the car shuddering/bucking under normal driving conditions. If I push in the clutch and let the "shift assist" feature hold the RPMs at the "proper shift point" then let out the clutch it's buttery smooth, unfortunately it takes drat near 3-4 seconds for the RPMs to drop to that point during the 1st to 2nd shift. When I'm getting on the gas and redlining 1st then power shifting into 2nd it doesn't do it, only when driving calmly. This has caused my passengers to hit the back of their heads on the headrest and resulted in many comments of "what the gently caress are you doing, that hurt!". It's super annoying and I blame the heavy rear end flywheel/Ford's "shift assist" feature which cause the RPMs to take ages to drop when pressing in the clutch. I've heard from people that go to a lighter flywheel and clutch that this RPM hang is eliminated.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
For anyone that's into modding their FiST I highly recommend looking into Adam Brunson at Modern Automotive Performance as he offers lifetime tuning for $250. Any time you make a change and need to update your tune he usually hooks you up within 24-48 hours with revisions. MAP is also almost finished with the development of their turbo kit which should be pretty spectacular. In the past month they've released their downpipe, exhaust, intake and charge pipes with the intercooler coming next week or so and the turbo kit some time in November. It's all basicaly top notch at this point.

I've been working with him on my tune and it's been a great experience so far, my car is much more enjoyable to drive lately. Here's a blog post he made about tuning his (at the time) bone stock FiST project car:

http://www.maperformance.com/blog/2015-ford-fiesta-st-rd-project-tuning-with-the-cobb-accessport/

Here's a link to his FiestaSTForum.com R&D thread, specifically the intercooler post. Those end tanks are works of art:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ll=1#post112852

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Sigma X posted:

It'd be great, if he wasn't in friggin' Minnesota. Also, I saw that R&D thread, but I went for a DHM oversized intercooler and crash bar. So here's to dying in a 25 MPH impact!

Yeah, that'd be nice. Luckily he can tune our cars remotely, I just wish I was closer so I could go there in person some time and check things out / have him tune on their dyno.

I also have a DHM intercooler though mine is just the stock sized replacement. Took him 3 drat months to build it for me though.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Sigma X posted:

Honestly, I've gotten a bad vibe about it already. Right after I initially ordered it on his website, it was removed for the site, and he e-mailed me saying it was going to take a while due to "production problems". I told him that I'd be willing to wait as long as it was finished before the end of October as I have a track event in early November, and he gave me the "no problem!" response. Since then, I haven't heard poo poo from the guy, and he's posted a group buy thread on fiestastforum, taking 10 more orders. And when I (and several other people) asked about the safety of the crash bar, his response was basically "Testing? We don't need no stinkin' testing! IT'S CHROMOLY, LIKE A ROLL CAGE! Stronk! If you're scared of dying in an accident maybe the RACE crash bar isn't for you, because it's for RACE."

I understand he's a one-man fabrication shop, but c'mon. You're literally replacing the integrated chassis and accident protection of the car with your own piece with no testing whatsoever and then getting pissy when people ask if you've done testing?

EDIT: Yeah, after typing that out I realize it's pretty pants-on-head retarded to trust accident safety to a guy whose response is "I got my chromoly welding cert and that makes me qualified to design a safety structure". Canceled my order, will be buying the Cobb.

Yeah I agree with you completely, DHM seems very shady and there is no way I would use their crash bar on the street. I especially like how it took him loving forever to actually make the first group buy batch and he kept promising things were going to speed up in their shop while everyone and their mom jumped into his thread to white-knight at the slightest hint of someone calling him out on all of the bullshit he was spewing. I had to start bugging him on Facebook just about every day to get him to finally ship mine.

The intercooler is really nice though.

MAP on the other hand has been wonderful to work with. Really looking forward to their turbo kit which should be released in the next month or two.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 3, 2015

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

KidDynamite posted:

That sounds so loving awesome. Sometimes I wish I had gone with a Fiesta ST and saved a bit more scratch for my wedding.

Edit: I doubt I will feel this way once my car gets here though.

Straight pipe sounds great at idle and really low RPM from the outside but sounds like complete rear end when you get on the gas, the sound inside the cabin is way too much to live with as well but that's my personal opinion. I had my exhaust off when it was getting repaired and the week or so I had it was fun at first but really sucked after the first couple of days.

To me, my MAPerformance cat-back with Mountune downpipe sounds great, plenty of burbles and pops. Compared to the Injen I had before it there is practically no drone. That Injen droned bad but people say not nearly as bad as the MBRP. Both exhausts make the cabin sound incredibly boomy between 3-4.5k but not in a good way. It was impossible to have a phone call while driving on the freeway at anything faster than 70.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Mariana Horchata posted:

I never checked that one out but I actually like it a lot.

Forgot that I had taken a video of my exhaust when I first installed it. Just a quick start up and some revs. it sounds similar to a Cobb setup but just different enough for me to like it more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rQ7o1hundQ

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Sigma X posted:

Last week part of my dash fell off. Friday I realized that my front tires are down to the wear bars, at 7700 miles. Man this car is great.

The stock tires on my FiST lasted around 10k miles, I replaced them with 16" wheels and G-Force Sport Comp-IIs, I'm now at 32,000 miles and they still have about half tread left. They stick to the road better, perform better in the wet, have better tread life, less road noise and are cheaper then the POS stock tires.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Traded in my FiST a month ago for a base model automatic Mazda6, it was a nice car but not for me. It just so happened that my dads Saturn took a final dump after 300k miles of faithful service so he's taking over the lease on the Mazda. This means I have rejoined the hot hatch club and picked up a 2017 6MT GTI Sport tonight!

Impressions so far: even in stock form it seems quicker than my FiST was when I had it upgraded and tuned (turbo back exhaust, intercooler, intake, charge-pipes, tune by Adam of Tune+). The VAQ differential seems to perform much better than the torque vectoring of the FiST. The seats are really good but not *quite* as good as the Recaros were. The shifter doesn't feel as nice as the FiST but I also had a transmission bracket that reduced the throws so I imagine I can tighten things up with something similar in the GTI and the golf ball knob is kind of silly feeling but there's lots of options there. The GTI is quieter inside (no rattles!), road noise is lower, the suspension isn't nearly as punishing as the FiST but still gives a great amount of confidence. The headlights are on a whole other level better than the FiST, I especially think the adaptive "follow the direction of the turn" is sweet. The stereo sounds significantly better and compared to Ford SYNC, the infotainment system in the GTI blows it away. Haven't played around with Android Auto yet but I'm looking forward to checking that out. The brakes in the FiST were drat good but so far I think the PP brakes are probably a bit better.

I can't wait to drive it some more! Only put 55 miles on it so far from the drive back home. Obligatory lovely cell phone shot:

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

The Locator posted:

I'd certainly expect that Golf to be nicer than a FiST given the significant price delta between the two of them. Seems like a FoST would be a better comparison at that price point, but glad you are happy with your new car, hope it is a good one.

While that is true, in my case the Fiesta was my first new car buying experience and the dealer saw me coming a mile away. I'm paying only $15 more per month for the GTI than I was the FiST with a similar down payment made on each.

Edit: more pictures!

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 29, 2016

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

The Ferret King posted:

I'm happy for you, and this may have been intentional on your part. But, what you've stated above tells us virtually nothing about what sort of deal you did or didn't get on either car.

MSRP on the GTI ($29,250 with rubber mats and trunk cargo holders) and I declined all of the dealer add on crap. On the Fiesta I said "OK yeah that sounds cool, sign me up!" for everything (extended warranty, gap, a few other stupid things). The FiST was also fully loaded with every option and I think I stupidly payed a dealer markup, if I recall it was like $26k or so.

I stopped the financing manager at the VW dealer last night before he started into his spiel about add-ons and told him not to bother, his attitude quickly changed and we finished the paperwork in about 10 minutes, it was great. I have gap coverage through my insurance so I declined it from the dealer.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Yeah you can find them countrywide for 26k on Autotrader with no haggling.

OP: did you even attempt to negotiate the price?

No, I am not good with money.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BlackMK4 posted:

Remove the clutch pedal spring and clutch delay valve, you will be much happier and the clutch will last longer.

Also, snow catcher out of the bottom of the intake box. Get a OBD Eleven and turn off the 'vibration dampening'. (read: torque limiting in lower gears)

The Sport makes me regret my year and a half old 2016 4dr S.

Thanks for the tips, I happen to have a Ross-Tech cable and am familiar with VCDS from my adventures in fixing and selling my buddies 2001 TDI. I have already made the following changes:

Disabled the soundaktor.
Disabled alarm (horn) on lock.
Disabled seat belt warning chime (I always wear my belt, it's just annoying for it to chime when my passengers first get in the car and don't belt up immediately).
Disabled the "door open while ignition is on" chime.
Disabled "starting vibration reduction" (torque limiter).
Changed turn signal blink from 3 to 5.

My first modifications will be improving the clutch and shifter feel. I have already made the home-brew clutch stop (as found here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8271369-DIY-HD-Clutch-Stop-for-less-than-a-dollar!-for-all-MQB-MK7-Golf-5-and-6MT ). Next weekend when it isn't raining I will be removing the intake snow catch, the clutch delay valve, the clutch spring, and I have a Black Forest Industries heavy weight billet shift knob as well as the DieselGeek short-shifter on the way.

I've now put 200 miles on the car and it's been thoroughly enjoyable, but another thing I miss from the Fiesta is the much shorter gearing it has. This just gives me an excuse to stay in the lower gears longer! Also ordered a JB1 but I'm waiting until about 2,000 miles before installing it.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

tijag posted:

What's up 2017 GTI Sport in metallic blue buddy! :D

Same car, really happy with the first 600+ miles on it so far.

Twins!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The GTi looks nice but those wheels do not fit the character to me.

Personally I like the look more than the Austins. In any case, as soon as these tires are gone I'll likely be getting 17x8 O.Z. Ultraleggeras in matte bronze, I think the color would pair really well with Night Blue Metallic. Not completely decided yet on the wheels but I'll definitely be getting Pilot Super Sports when the time comes.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I went a different direction with wheels on my GTI, Konig Hyper Grams in 18x8.5 with 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Also had the VWR springs installed today, up next waiting to go on is the Unitronic intercooler and AWE turbo-back exhaust. Just biding my time until Cobb updates their AP to work with 2017s.

Car is noticeably stiffer with less turn in, however, the grip is just monstrous and there is less drive-line slack it seems with the new springs.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

fknlo posted:

I need to get a vagcom to turn the traction control off? :wtc:

To my knowledge there are two VCDS tweaks to fully disable all forms of traction control, at least in a manual MK7. I understand the stock DSG tune will still limit wheel spin in its own way.

1) ESC off permanently, I changed byte 29 to 06 which with a long press of the ESC button will completely disable it. Stock is ESC ON/ASR OFF/ESC SPORT.

In VCDS go to: brakes (ABS), long coding, choose byte 29. If you change byte "29" to:

05 - the button options are ESC ON/ASR Off/ESC OFF
06 - Button options: ESC ON/ESC SPORT/ESC OFF
09 - Stock

2) Disabling the Starting Vibration Reduction, this is the torque limiter setting:

In VCDS go to: brakes(ABS), adaptations, choose starting vibration reduction and change to "deactivated".

These settings will let you spin the tires all day.

In other news - my AWE downpipe, Unitronic intercooler, and Injen Evo intake are now installed. Just running the Cobb stage 3 OTS tune for now and the car is pretty quick, I think I will wait to protune it until I upgrade the clutch and get an IS38 turbo.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 23, 2017

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

PaintVagrant posted:

I just rolled 7000 miles in mine. No issues whatsoever other than my phone bluetooth dropping occasionally (all bluetooth is garbo) and the rear brakes making some weird rotational noise. I "fixed" the brake issue by disassembling them, cleaning the rotors w brake cleaner and putting it all back together. No idea what was causing it.

I have no complaints, great little car.

I believe that noise is usually caused by the caliper pins getting stuck, or so I've heard. I did not run into it in the 35k I had my 2014 ST.

Also I wish the Magnetic color was available when I bought mine, it's so good.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Etrips posted:

For a 17 GTI, on a scale of 0 to 10, how hard would installing a short shifter kit be for someone who has not really worked on their car before?

2-3, it's pretty simple. Adjusting it can be tedious though, I have the Diesel Geek and it took a week or so of driving and adjusting to get it just right and still the 1-2 shift can be overly notchy when it's cold. I don't recommend installing a shorter/smaller knob if you are also doing a short shifter.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I sold the GTI last month and today picked up a 2016 S3 Prestige with 17k on the clock, some day I will return to the hot hatch thread but for now I will enjoy what is basically the same drat car but older with more miles and an automatic transmission. So yay!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

FBS posted:

I'm already halfway through talking myself back into it lol

On my test drive, the salesman took me out and proceeded to get the FiST extremely sideways on the very first corner we took from the dealership after he disabled traction control. It was fun as poo poo and I bought one two hours later after my own test drive, I made them trade the one he drove like a moron for a different one at a sister dealership that had more options. Drove mine for 36k miles, only maintenance was oil changes and rear brake rotors/pads. Throw a downpipe, intercooler and a tune at it and it's a riot. I understand the 2017+ has even shorter gearing than the 2015/16, I missed those short gears so much when I picked up my manual GTI.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Edit: wrong thread!

Traded in my S3 for a 2018 Civic Si in the best color, Rallye Red. S3 was an amazing car, but kind of boring and expensive for a car I hardly drove.
Have a picture anyway:

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 6, 2018

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I was debating a gti or used golf r, but was offered a pretty good deal on a civic si later next month, what made you pick that if you don't mind my asking?

The Si is much cheaper to own and run and it's more fun to drive, to me. The VWs felt kind of like all of the controls were slightly disconnected from the driver's inputs, like there was a very slight delay. Too little feedback in the S3, no matter if I was in Dynamic mode or not, and I only went to the S3 from the GTI because I wanted to experience the haldex AWD and the DSG, which were both pretty decent but still just kind of boring to drive. The steering in the S3 was by far my least favorite part about it, I hear the Golf R is better but I never test drove one, and the GTI was good but not as good as my Fiesta ST. The DSG was having troubles with 3rd gear both before and after it was tuned, rather than starting down the path of getting it serviced I just parted it out then got rid of it instead. I'd only had the car since last September and drove it for about 3500 miles before I was over it.

Just tooling around town yesterday and today the Si feels more enjoyable or rewarding to drive to me, it's kind of hard to describe, it's more fun even though it's significantly down on power. With the mechanical LSD, close ratio gearing and really slick shifter, the Si is a loving blast at low speeds compared to the VWs. I still miss my Fiesta ST, I don't miss the VWs (yet), and the Si is pretty much more of the FiST just in a better package. I was considering another Miata but I do like to take passengers and stuff my car full of things occasionally, just not enough to have picked up the (very ugly) Civic Si sedan. The coupe looks better IMO, even with the silly wing.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Apollodorus posted:

So it turns out that I happen to live in between Deutsche Auto Parts and Black Forest Industries, and would probably look to go to one of them to tune the GTI.

I've been reading up on these and I'm wondering whether, before I do any modifications to the engine performance, I should first replace the clutch at the 60k mark with one that can handle the greater torque...or if I should just go for it and let the stock clutch fail when it fails.

Personally I ran the Cobb AccessPort and their OTS stage 2 tune with my 2017 GTI for 8000 miles on the stock clutch before I sold it and it never slipped but I definitely didn't have it long enough to find the point where it would. If I were to do it again I would go with a United Motorsports tune as I did on my S3, see if you can find a dealer in your area and call them up for questions on various tunes / options. I haven't kept up on the latest but from what I remember at the time UM was one of the best.

I would just let the stock clutch die but have one on hand ready to go and know of a good shop to use before it does.

http://unitedmotorsport.net/products/mk7-mqb-20-tsi-gen3/

My S3 was putting down about 350whp on 91, the thing ripped along with their DSG tune but I got out of that car after only a few thousand miles as well.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BlackMK4 posted:

e2: I know you've mentioned the Si oil dilution issue, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not also driving one

Since I won't be taking my Si in for any oil dilution TSBs / recalls, I change my oil every 3000 miles and still smell a strong gas odor. Car is fun though, it's a lot like my FiST was in terms of driving enjoyment, except now it's also quite fast.

"Earth Dreams"

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

albear posted:

I owned a MK7 GTI for two years with the sunroof option. It rattled but other than that, was fine in my period of ownership.

Having owned a Mk 7 GTI for about a year, I used the sunroof circuit to send power-on signal to my sub-woofer, never having opened the sunroof the entire time I owned it, and it never rattled. That is my MK7 story.

They can look really good though:

Replaced my '14 FiST with that Mk 7 and deeply regret it, however, I also regret ditching my Mk 7 for an S3. I'm in a current gen Civic Si now and if Honda had put this drive-train in the non-R hatch it would have been a no-brainer for me.

albear posted:

If you use Facebook, the VW MK7 Golf - GTI - R - MQB group is pretty chill.

Agreed here, most of the people there were decent folk but that changes frequently. The Mk7 forums were good as well, VWVortex less so but still good for some info.

My current ride is a hatch if you squint your eyes hard enough and pretend, please don't kick me out of the thread!

The FiST that got away.