Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Been following the thread for a while and you guys had pretty much sold me on getting a GTI around the end of the year, but thanks to hurricane Harvey that's not happening.

Thanks, Harvey, for flooding my house but not my stupid rear end grand cherokee. I should've driven it into water when I had the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

So after having my hot hatch dreams dashed by Hurricane Harvey, we've had an unexpected windfall and a GTI is now on the front burner, hopefully in the next two weeks.

I'm undecided between going used vs. new, although it looks like I might be able to get a 2017 at a decent price. Otherwise I'm looking at lower mileage 2015s or so. Any advice other than "go for a test drive?"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Thanks for the GTI buying advice guys - did a quick search on autotrader and only found 1 Sport, and I think it was a couple of hundred miles away. I'll keep my eyes peeled, but I'd be good with the basic S trim. I'm basically an old fart getting a "dad car" for commuting and drives around the city with the wife and kid.

And maybe autocross for funsies.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're going to autocross it you definitely do want the LSD

I definitely considered that - but autocross is still just a big maybe, and naturally I've only found one sport trim within 200 miles. The dilemma looks like it may take care of itself. <sigh>

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Just clicked submit on my request for quote at our credit union.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Quick price check for a GTI in the Houston area, advertised for the S trim is $21k for 2017s.

Good? Bad? That seems to be the going price for that trim. I'm buying through our credit union's car buying service so there may not be much wiggle room.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 21, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, I have two quotes in writing, otherwise I won't bother. Traffic is going to suck this weekend.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Well guys, I finally did it. S trim in black and this car (even taking it easy) is a ball to drive.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 23, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

A Sport would have been cool, but eh. The only thing that caught my eye about the package was the LSD and the upgraded brakes. 25 year old me would've hunted one down, but 47 year old me feels good with the S.

I really, really love this car. I do want to get it tinted, though.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Pretty good. Will be able to finance a portion of it on mileage savings alone. Getting 18-19 in my explorer currently.

I'm coming from a Grand Cherokee that, on a really good day, would get 16ish in mixed freeway/city driving. I've driven about 200 miles in the GTI and still have half a tank, where the Jeep would be dinging for a fill up in a couple of days. So yeah, the mpg even in just 3 days is saving money.

Larrymer posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was dissing your brand new car. I too wonder if it's really worth it for me sometimes since I rarely put it in sport mode and put regular gas in it because the power is good 'nuff like that. Glad you're enjoying it.

No worries!

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 25, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

One other thing I've been reading about is ceramic coating vs a good sealant. I've watched youtubes of how to apply the ceramic stuff so I'm basically an internet expert, but in reality do you guys have any first hand experience with either the ceramic or a synthetic sealant?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Larrymer posted:

Sport vs non: on paper its the one I wanted but don't know if I really needed it. The combo of features is perfect but does a middle aged man like myself really need the bigger brakes and LSD? 99% of the time probably not but I suppose it's nice to have. I do like the wheels better than the standard ones, though.

Middle age bros

Like I mentioned earlier, 20 years ago I would've tracked down a Sport model just for the LSD and brakes, but I'm pretty pragmatic about my own cars so the S was my sweet spot. Plus I just didn't want to spend the extra money, as relatively not-expensive as it is. I mean, the fact that I'm even asking about a $500+ ceramic coat makes me cringe a little because the car I just sold got washed a few times a year and a coat of wax when I thought about it. I was surprised at the compliments I got from the guy who bought it because I didn't feel like I did that much for it.

Anyway, too many words. Maybe drive both an S and a Sport for comparison.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Sitting here at the tint place looking for ceramic coating guys around town. Looks like I can basically pick the brand I want and then go from there. Wife is rolling her eyes at me.

She clearly doesn't understand the GTI's needs.

Also, you know the middle aged guy that looks out of place at a tuning/whatever shop? Today it's me.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 27, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Somebody mentioned replacing the stock GTI tires for better ones - what do you guys like?

edit: these would be all-season tires.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 29, 2017

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Anyone else bitter watching Top Gear and thinking well that up GTI looks really neat I bet it won't sell in America?

I saw that.

I also have a 3 week old GTI sitting in my driveway. Piss off, May!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

its the greatest feature of owning a new car, not checking a single loving thing ever

It really is. My previous car had 156k on it, ran just fine, but I knew it was probably inevitable that something expensive was going to break.

Reading the oil change chat a few posts up had me thinking, drat, I need to get a new oil extractor, and recheck the transmission fluid and... Oh wait, no I don't!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Curbed the poo poo out of my passenger rear wheel today. WTF I went from a Grand Cherokee to this, why do the curbs hate me

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

this is a sign from God or at least one of the lesser deities to plasti-dip your rims in a really obnoxious color

I suggest lime green

What about rattle can, with the tires left on and whatever overspray happens, happens?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Have you tried calling usaa? Pretty sure you could have a grandparent in the armed forces at one point and still be eligible.

Yep, my dad and father in-law were both in the army (but neither my wife nor I were ever in the military) and we're considering switching.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Sitting here looking at a Civic type R and hoooooly poo poo, that's an ugly car.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It already looks boy racer dated. At least the STs don't look horrible so dated right out of the gate.

What was hilarious was the driver. I was expecting your typical boy-racer type. Dude was like mid-50's, 5' 5", rail thin, couldn't stand fully upright, and shuffled instead of walked. And had a ponytail.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Oddhair posted:

I like the GTI's combination of real buttons and a screen alright but I have found myself messing with it on long drives more than I think is ideal, or more accurately for longer stretches at once than seem safe.

Out of curiosity, what do you find yourself messing around with? I don't have any long drives under my belt, just my daily commute, but I typically have something queued up that'll get me there and/or back each day, but other than that I don't fiddle with it much. Unless I just want to see how low I can get the eco-trainer thing to go, or look at the performance dials (attn. VW - add a PSI gauge to the little dashboard screen!).

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

you mean on the head unit? there is a gauge for boost pressure

Not the head unit, the small in-dash screen between the tachometer and speedo that's basically useless for anything else. I need to make sure none of my PSIs run away while I'm sitting in traffic.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Reading about tunes makes me want to throw a jb1 on my car. But then there's the creeping terror that something will go wrong and VW will void my warranty :oh dear:

Also the seat makes my right leg tingle. Awesome. Guess I'll get a cushion for my old rear end.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Numb leg bros

Luckily (or not) I'm an orthopedic nurse so I'm pretty confident it's just a little sciatic nerve compression. Unfortunately, it's literally only in the GTI. I'll fold up a thick towel to sit on and see if that helps.

Definitely tempted by the jb1. Install looks pretty straightforward, but I've just got that new-car-fear, I guess.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Nah, i've got the Austins. However, at the rate at which I'm curbing the rear ones, I should have them curbed into a paste within a few months and can replace them.

I'll probably wind up doing... nothing. Until I need tires, and then I'll get some good ones.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I would love to somehow do a study of a ton of modded/chipped cars that go to the dealership just to see how often owners wind up paying the whole bill vs. repairs under warranty. I'm curious as to how many mechanics are like the Warranty Police and how many don't bother.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Etrips posted:

Just installed my JB4 and went for a whirl and holy poo poo. What a difference this makes. I canít even imagine what stage 2 feels like.

Must... resist...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Etrips posted:

If I had to do it all over again I would pass on the sunroof and leather seats.

My previous car had leather seats and I will never go back.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Etrips posted:

Did you get your JB4 yet?

Hnnnnggggggg

Warbird posted:

There is a new SEL golf we could get, but that’s not going to be as fun. I’ve always heard leather described as “great until it’s a massive pain in the rear end”. Plus it’s hot as hell down here in the summer, so...

Yeah, the heat retention was obnoxious and once it cracks that's it. I looked at getting the seats redone, but I just got rid of the car and moved on to the far superior GTI in all its plaidness.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Warbird posted:

I want to say thatís been a thing since 2017, but Iím not positive. But yeah, they just rolled it in. Only costs $10k more than the S weíre passing up. Sigh.

My 17 doesn't have the PP. The dealer did have a couple of SE/SELs in stock with PP, but they were outside my budget. I wish I'd been able to get a PP just for the LSD and the better wheels, but oh well. I'm not hurtling around corners during my commute.

Maybe I'm just commuting wrong.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

For $45 I might try it out. I can do bolts!

Although I'm still commuting wrong, so I probably won't notice anything

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Custom mode: everything sport setting, Sound Aktor off.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I didn’t think you can turn it off entirely from there. I did it with VCDS.

It doesn't turn it off in all the modes, just that one.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

don't listen to these pansies, call APR and tell them you want the basic IS38 kit.

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Yesterday I had my hood open, cover off, looking at the plugs where a JB4 would go. Car is 3 months old. I'd love to, but I'm gonna hold off for a while.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

A lot of people without 4WD/AWD just stay home when the weather turns to poo poo.

One of my cousin's kids (well, he's 30 now) owns a V6 Mustang that he's had worked up (repaint with stripes, hood pins, etc) to look like a V8. He refuses to make the 1.5 mile commute to work in their little rural Michigan town in any kind of snow because "it sucks in the snow." He has never put snow tires on it.

So he bought a POS 4wd truck that regularly dies on him instead.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

I have picked up the Golf R, and it is good.

The only thing I don't like so far is climate control (coming from a vehicle with easy-peasy "I want this temperature of air at this fan speed!" controls), everything else is superb so far.

That's really my only nitpick about the GTI, too.

Also, if your rear tail lights suddenly disappear, it's definitely not because I stole them for my car so I can have the sweet, sweeping turn signals.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

People are just assholes.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Well there's the problem. I just assume anybody driving a Charger/Challenger/Ram is a complete loving moron, and anecdotally, most times I'm not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Fiesta ST rear brakes are loving garbage. After hearing significant pad drag sounds over the last week and seeing patchy wear on the rear rotors, I took a look.

Car is less than 2 years old, pins are seized almost entirely. Not a hint of grease left in this side. Replaced the rotors, pads were in good shape so hopefully this will be the end of my shhk shhhk shhk sounds...

Holy crap, my former car's brakes weren't even that bad after 160k of minimal maintenance.

«3 »