Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Etrips posted:

New wheels are on point. Glad I went with the bronze instead of the graphite.

Nice!

Would love to change my wheels out but every time I look my wallet cries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

i cant imagine any GTI without the limited slip would be worth owning

Mine is pretty great :argh:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

GTI bros - anybody using Car Net beyond the free trial? I'm on the fence about renewing next month.

I use android auto/Google maps/etc for pretty much everything, but it's nice to check when I go, "... I locked it this morning, didn't I?"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

Speaking of free trials that can gently caress straight off: SiriusXM.

"What do you mean you live in a place with buildings? Hope you enjoy the audio dropping every 10 seconds then."

I like Sirius despite the sound, although my usage waxes and wanes a lot. Not sure if I'll keep it or not. The buildings thing is annoying, but I had XM for quite a while so it doesn't bother me much.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

GTI bros: my car wants an oil change in 6 days or 4800 miles.

Which is it :ohdear:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

How long has it been since you changed it last?

Bought new in December. Never.

I get freebies for 3 years at the dealer.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

WescottF1 posted:

I think the warning is set to come on when the car is a year old (from manufacture date). Mine came on after I'd had the car for only a few months and I watched a video on YouTube that showed how to reset it.

Ohhhh, okay. I'll have to look at the sticker later. I might just get it done anyway and then be done for another year.

edit: on second thought, it takes about 5 seconds to reset the indicator, and the oil looks good, so there we go.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 5, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Awful lot of radiator for the lawnmower

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My black FiST lives under a pine tree. I've completely given up. I feel your pain.

My black GTI lives under an oak tree. I haven't completely surrendered yet, but... it's hard.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

fknlo posted:

I will say that there have been multiple GTI's with a G60 swap with the lysholm supercharger that I absolutely loved. So much whine.

Maybe that's what I heard last week. I heard the whine, saw a GTI go by, but I can't be sure if that was the car or not as I was window up/AC blasting. Didn't see anything else around I would've suspected as the source.

Is that a non-unicorn mod or was I just hearing something else entirely?

Car-sound related - also had a beater go by (I forget what exactly it was now) straining along with the loudest BOV I've ever heard.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

GTI bros - I want lighting package lights on my car, any decent aftermarket offerings? Having LED fog lights and halogen headlights is an affront to humanity.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ah, cool. Thanks! I've got a 2017 so the 7.5s won't fit.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Oooooh, I do like those...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Cracked my tailbone a few weeks ago and have been riding around on a memory foam rear end pad for a while - went to lunch without it today and holy crap you forget how much driving feel you get from your butt.

drat you, fragile coccyx :arghfist:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Claim it on the moron's insurance. I'm a little bitter about that stuff right now as my wife got rear ended (with my son in the car) at a stoplight. Everyone had stopped, including the guy that hit her, but slap dick decided to go a little early or some poo poo. Dumb bastard.

He's insured but I'm still going to take his skin while he's asleep.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Back when I was dumber I owned a gray Toyota Tundra, that thing was an idiot magnet. Got rear ended, t-boned twice (at low speed), keyed, and had a valet guy bend the passenger mirror up against a concrete support in a garage.

In retrospect, I guess I deserved it on some level for owning a stupid rear end truck. But still, I didn't drive like a jerk, was careful to park in the middle of parking spaces, etc.

Anyway, there's my gray vehicle story. gently caress that thing forever.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Etrips posted:

And this is why everyone should have dash cams.

That's something we're definitely thinking about; I've never looked into it before so I've got a lot of reading to do.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Electro rally would be surreal - Dirt flying everywhere and just the whine of the motor.

Another GTI question: mud guards? Any better than the others?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

pls no to mud guards

How else am I supposed to satisfy my rally fetish without mud guards, and a huge light rack on the front

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Etrips posted:

Bosch Icon 365 OE26, OE18 - Adapter #4 work fine for me.

Seconding these. Haven't gotten any for the gti yet, but they've been great on my other cars.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Finally got the wipers and the driver side one doesn't have the extra adaptors. Arrrrrrghhhh

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

:yikes:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Are GTIs still being sold for really good prices, or has diesel-gate been sufficiently long enough ago?

I got my 2017 S last December for just over 23k new. Just had the 10k service done, no weirdness, no problems. Love that car.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Oddhair posted:

Dammit, my 2016 GTI needs its water pump replaced and is out of warranty. Anyone ever DIY the water pump on their MK7? Going to check the specific forums of course as well, only good video I found was a MK6.

Edit: should have included maybe some info. I have a slow-ish leak that cropped up shortly after 36,000 miles. I've been topping up with distilled water and coolant but it's a daily thing now. Car behaves otherwise, doesn't overheat, just seems to have that lovely water pump gasket. I did spring for the extended warranty, just need to call in and find out whether it's covered but I'm not optimistic after they failed to correctly put my pre-paid maintenance through.

How is your water pump out of warranty, isn't the car only 2 years old?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

3-year, 36,000 mile, usually the manufacturer will state "whichever comes first."

However, something like a leaky water pump would definitely lead me to raising holy hell with the service department and escalating if need be that early into an engine's life.

Oh true, I'm brain damaged. I'd raise poo poo about the water pump too at 2ish years old.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

$26,000 DSG, it's got probably 25 thousand miles on the clock.

And where were you this time last year, god... DAMMIT!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, always be downshifting when you want to power on like that. Google engine lugging for a better explanation than I could give.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 22, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

50k all said and done for a golf, lol

Jesus christ

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Huh, all I could find was a recall for 2011-2014.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

100% Dundee posted:

For me, oddly enough, its the exact opposite. In photo's I think the car looks amazing(gotta love those TE37's as well), particularly the darker paint colors vs the white/red ones. But in person, they are so gaudy with all the plastic bits, extra spoilers and fake grills, etc just really stand out too much making it really harsh to look at.

:same:

I think those pics look great.

Irl though, it's a cringey mess. I like the way new Civics look, but the R is waaaaaay too much.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Any GTI bros have either the high or low note on your horn go out? My high note mysteriously vanished at some point. Rarely use it, so I'm assuming the vw horn is just poo poo.

I was looking at an aftermarket horns, seems like people like the Hellas.

I dunno. Should I go warranty or Hella?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, looks like you have to cut the wiring harness where it attaches to the horn and wire in the new one to ground/fuse box/etc.

Guess I'll warranty replace it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

SolusLunes posted:

we'll see what shakes out

Hopefully not your bones, or organs

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Had a dream last night that I was rallying my stock GTI in Finland (like you do), went over a big jump, and the front end came up mid-air and I landed smack on the rear end. Woke up wondering how I was going to explain it to the insurance company and my wife. :stonklol:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

KillHour posted:

I've had the same dream about my RS except they usually involve me flying off the side of a mountain a'la Dirt Rally. Scary poo poo.

Pretty sure playing Dirt 2.0 this week had something to do with it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

JamesOff posted:

Mine (2016 Mk7) works all the way down to 0 and will pull away by itself if the car in front moves within 3 seconds, else you have to tap the accelerator or RES button to tell it to carry on. It’s great in traffic jams :)

I was going to post how much I want an R but couldn't justify the premium, but, uh, you may have just changed that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm a backup camera convert. Before I got the GTI, I always thought people should just LOOK AT THE MIRRORS/OUT THE GODDAMN WINDOWS.

Today I was backing out of a crappy corner parking spot and it was super helpful. Backup cam 4 lyfe.

Question for the thread: I'm considering getting new wheels (since I've stopped clipping curbs on a weekly basis), but holy poo poo, analysis paralysis is kicking in and I don't even know where to start. Even just going to Tire Rack and looking at OEM sized wheels is overwhelming. Help?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

evrae posted:

upgrade =]

:drat:

Significant upgrade, nice!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ehud posted:

I know this is kind of a broad question, but GTI owners - what has your experience been in terms of reliability and repairs?

My next car needs to be 4 door and the hot hatch options are pretty limited :smith:

A little late, but my '17 GTI (bought around Christmas 2017) with about 18K has only had an oil change. The high note horn is toast, but I was forced to drive through some non-trivially-deep water a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure that's what ate it. Aside from that, just suffering from slight black-car-owner pains when it's dirty.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

Hi all -- I'm in the market for a new car and wanted a m/t hatchback or wagon that gets 30+ MPG and has good cargo capacity. I recently learned that 2015 and newer GTIs have the same cargo capacity as the Honda Fit, which means they meet my requirements. Cool!

It looks like the only other hot hatch that would is the Focus ST (Fiesta ST is too small), but I hear they are really unreliable (even more than VWs) and IMO the GTI is an infinitely more tasteful vehicle inside and out.

What should I be looking for when scoping out GTIs? My price range is up to $19k, and there are a few GTIs near me going for around that which I hope to take a look at when I get home from traveling.

I've got the base GTI and I adore it. Sure it doesn't have the LSD, or leather, or the lighting package, but as a fun daily driver it's been perfect for me.

It handily carries two full hockey bags and sticks when my son and I go to practice, and the one time I sat in the back seat, it was comfortable with plenty of leg room (I'm 6' tall).

If you get a used one, definitely get a PPI if it's not certified pre-owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I'll probably get a van or wagon. And not German. :v:

Username checks out :respek: