Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Nice!

In case you haven't experienced it yet, welcome to the cleaning hell that is owning a black car :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Oh hey I opened my garage door to take the trash cans out to the street and now my car needs a full detail cause a breeze of 1 mph blew in some pollen. It looks so good for 15 minutes though.

:allears:

Oh yeah, it looks amazing. And then you finish washing it and it's already dusty.

I just pretend the dust/pollen is an ablative layer that actually protects the finish. Sort of like space shuttle tiles.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

It is - I owned a gray car a while back and it was bland as poo poo, but it had to be completely filthy to look normal-dirty.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

ya, I consider the dirt on my cars to be a paint protection layer

Ablative layer, man - dirt on the car is like the shuttle tiles on re-entry (when they work right and don't kill the astronauts). It burns off and protects our precious waxes and sealants :science:

And before I forget again, did someone here link bigger shift paddles for the GTI? I don't want huge rally style paddles I DO, but something longer would be nice.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 1, 2019

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Hockey pucks are like $3 at any sporting goods store. I use those on my jacks, works just fine.

Good lord, were they blessed by Bobby Orr or something? I get pucks for $1 and I live in a hockey wasteland.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I worked with a nurse once that had an Abarth with a huge fart can on it. You could hear it inside when she revved it even a little. Sounded like a baby having a high-pressure diaper blowout through stadium amplifiers.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

are you trying to say that's a bad thing

I would never kink-shame anyone who enjoys amplified baby-making GBS threads sounds

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I legit love that car.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

My GTI is the first car I've owned with gadgets - back up camera, Android Auto, Sirius, etc, and it's hilarious how fast I went from "Who needs this crap" to :getin:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Went to a new outpatient clinic last week, about halfway through the day one of the docs from another pod came over and asked me if I owned a GTI. He apologized in case he put any handprints on the door handle, as he also had a GTI, same color and year as mine, and mistakenly tried to get in mine at lunch :laffo:

Went from never having met him to being on a first name basis and GTI bros. We hung out in between patients and talked cars. It was cool.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Haha, I bet watching that happen was hysterical.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

fknlo posted:

Just ate a huge chunk of the face off one of my wheels on a curb that for some reason sticks out like a foot and a half from the drive through window at the McDonald's in Colby Kansas. Stoked!

Only one wheel? Be a completionist like me and do all four over 18 months. Not even sure I'm going to bother getting them repaired or replaced,even though it hasn't happened in quite a while.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

:yikes:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

After two years of being a GTI owner, I finally got the chance to take it on a couple of trips out of town recently, once by myself and once with the family along. It was great, except for the car talking to me psychically every now and then. Usually something like this:

Car: Feels good on the open road, right?
Me: Yeah, it's really nice! Comfortable, composed, I'm really enjoying it.
Car: That's great! ... Seats still comfy?
Me: Yeah, they're good.
Car: Because I've noticed... well, that your rear end is a little bigger and the seat is more snug. Just saying.
Me: I...

:smith:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think its that sitting in the seat makes the op realize hes gained weight because they are tighter

This.

Dammit :(

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Huh, never thought about running E85 in the GTI. Not that I can get it anywhere convenient, but still interesting!

My mileage on good old 87 octane has been superb the last month, no stop and go traffic and no cops pulling people over. 70 mph the whole way, and it's been glorious.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

It's cheap. Car is 100% standard. 87 is fine for GTIs post-2015, I think?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Well now I feel left out. I need to get gas in the next couple of days, and I'm filling up with maximum octane (the car can still get 87).

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Just placed my very first order to ECS Tuning

For an oil extractor and oil change kit :(

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Costco had a tire sale. Michelin PSS inbound :getin:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Got my pilot sports installed. Now to find a big, empty parking lot.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Extended warranty or a tune... Extended warranty or a tune...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, I've got a '17 GTI with DSG. If anything I'd probably just do a plug-in tune and call it good. My wife is going to need a new car in not too long, so I'll be keeping the GTI for a few more years.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Solus posted:

Got my Work Emotions on the Type R today, finally

18x9.5 + 38 Work Emotion Kiwami's in Bronze
265/35/18 Nitto 555G2 Tyres
Spoon Sports wheel nuts for the mild flex - https://i.imgur.com/rXHmOyA.png

I need to get some Centre Caps, I was considering leaving them without it but I'm not a huge fan after seeing them in person. Will probably get the Black centre caps

Nice!

I would love to get some new wheels, but I always get analysis paralysis when I start looking.

Plus, my stock Austins have the custom curb rash treatment.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sequential indicators are better now, but I still see many of them as indicators that "lag".

Imagine the murder that almost occurred when some redneck moron did this to me on Friday

3 years with only a tiny door ding and now this. God loving dammit.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'd posted a while back about getting rear ended/the hatch getting mushed. Had an appointment to get it fixed and promptly got rear ended AGAIN, 3 days before the appointment. Wound up in the ER with a hosed up neck, but shockingly I can barely tell where I got hit the second time.

Luckily both had insurance, both accepted responsibility, and the second one is paying the medical bills.

So I'm stuck in a Chrysler 300 through probably next week until the GTI is fixed, and :omg: the Chrysler is godawful

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

TheWevel posted:

I became a Golf R guy today. It’s a manual and the pedal travel feels like, 6 feet long, but I’m getting used to it.

I love this dumb car.

Ooof, that's gorgeous!

Quick question: anybody use/heard good or bad things about Retrofit Labs headlights for GTIs? I'd love to upgrade the headlights, but I balk at spending $600. Retrofits are about $250.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone gotten their mk7 water pump replaced under the new extended warranty (due to class action settlement)? Currently at 41k on my 2017.

We don't put a ton of mileage on my mk7 (4-5k/ur) but I'm faintly smelling coolant and it requires a slight top off every 6mo.

Normally wouldn't worry about such a slow leak but I'm going on a 2500mi road trip next month and don't want this to fail during it. I'm ok topping it off but if I can get a free replacement I'll do that before going.

I did. Went into limp mode on the way to work and I limped it right over to the dealer, no charge to fix it.

I was at around 45k and hadn't had any symptoms prior.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

whyyyy

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Had a bolt on the sway bar loosen up over the weekend, just out of the blue. That made for some fun sounds.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Sweeeeeet

Hope the foot heals quickly so you can enjoy it!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

sarcastx posted:

Testing a JCW All4 Countryman tomorrow but I'm really not interested in that body style as much as the Clubman. There's some good used ones a few hundred miles away from me so I figure I'll try the Countryman out, and if it's fun enough I'll go on a road trip and pick up a Clubman.

Show of hands: still a hot hatch?

They ran the Clubman in the WRC, so absolutely a hot hatch. If that's a Clubman. If it's a Countryman, yeah, still a hot hatch.

Also - trying to decide whether I want to get the Euro aspherical side mirrors or the homelink/auto dimming rearview mirror for the GTI. It's kind of a toss up a this point in my brain. Any opinions?

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 29, 2023

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Euro mirrors, properly adjusted, mean that you can have a vehicle in your peripheral vision while looking straight ahead, and still be able to see it in your mirror. All cars should have them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Very true. I'm leaning more that way as I rarely drive at night.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

At this point, this is the “sporty consumer car” thread. Not an SUV? Not a truck? Not a dedicated Sports Car? It belongs in the Hot Hatch thread.

Cause like… where else was a WRX or Jetta GLI gonna go? They belong in here, with us, alongside weirdo Volvos and maybe (if someone’s bold) a Roadmaster Wagon.

I want a Volvo hot hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Warbird posted:

Whelp, Burd Jr the second is on the way and I increasingly can't justify keeping the GTI around. I hate the thought of getting rid of it especially after putting the tune in but them's the breaks. Anyone got a sedan/crossover that would have a similar driving profile? Maybe an EV?

Car seat will fit in the back of the GTI eaaaaasy, forward or rear facing. Keep it!