Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Just test drove a '16 Fiesta ST and I'm pretty sure I'm in love. I daily a 97 Cherokee and my wife has a 12 Scion XB and gently caress me it's good. Just got back from a 3 hour trip in the scion and it was a stark reminder of how much I hated the steering in it when we got it. My Jeep feels more direct. I had test drove the Focus ST (there were no FiST on any lot in he city at that time) when we got the Scion and it was nowhere near as fun as the Fiesta. The Recaros reminded me of getting in my old Shiro and the driving experience was fabulous. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be making a poor financial decision when they get an orange one in later this week.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
poo poo is getting real in my search for a hot hatch. It's currently down to the Fiesta and the GTI. Anyone mind throwing down why they went one way or the other?

I want the Fiesta for the driving experience. But the GTI is so much nicer for the long hauls my wife and I like to take around the PNW. I'm having trouble justifying the extra 4-5 grand that the GTI commands though.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
The focus was fast and all but yeah the interior on the fords leaves a lot to be desired. Our other daily cars are an XJ Cherokee and a 2012 Scion XB which is a perfect commuting appliance but road noise in it is atrocious, which is something we've both wanted less of.

My wife really likes the Fiesta (and so do I). She said it wasn't too small when we test drove it, but she's 6' and I'm a bit concerned about how long it would stay comfortable.

Gonna take another day and do a back to back of the Fiesta and the GTI and see how that goes, hopefully get longer than 20 mins in both.

I couldn't find much regarding incentives on the GTI on line, are they really getting big discounts?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
What drove you to get rid of your GTI? I feel like you covered t earlier in the thread but I don't remember.

Wife still really loves the Fiesta but I'm leaning more towards the GTI at the moment.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Took a 17 GTI out yesterday, getting ready to head to Ford to take out the Fiesta. GTI is gonna be a tough act to follow though. It was way quicker than I remember the MK6 I test drove a few years back. That interior is a great place to be, too. And I didn't hate the DSG but I still need to give a 6spd a shot, don't think I really care to pay an extra grand for it.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So the Ford dealership tried to put me in a Fiesta at drat near 30k (29.5) with their initial offer. I know they gotta start high but gently caress. I laughed and told them that was over MSRP for the GTI I drove yesterday and they came back at 27.5, so I walked. If they can't be more competitive than that I'll for sure end up in a GTI by the end of the week.

I'm sure I'll get a call tomorrow but that really soured me.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm in Seattle. I have no idea what made them think that I wouldn't balk at that offer but unless they call me back with something within the realm of reality I'll go nowhere near that place again. This is the second time I've been jerked around by a ford dealer when we were purchasing a new car, so I'm not super impressed.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

oxbrain posted:

Bill Pierre Ford?

They're the ones who got famous for advertising a fusion at $16k and then finagling the actual sale price over $30k after add ons. They're the loving scum of the earth and it's astonishing that Ford still works with them.

It was Harris Ford in Lynnwood. Pretty sure part of the same group because I spoke with Bill Pierre Ford and they told me the car was up there. Guess I won't be doing business with them.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Dealer near me has a leftover '16 Fiesta ST listed at 15.5k. Doesn't have the Recaros, which I desperately want as my old 300ZX had them, but that price might be too good to pass up. Already got the go ahead from the wife to vinyl wrap it some stupid color and slap some turbomac wheels on it if I compromise on the seats. But those Recaros are so good....

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I quit waffling like a bitch and purchased a vehicle.

Ended up with a '16 Magnetic Fiesta ST with Recaros.

And gratuitous odometer shot when I got home. It was meant to be.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Rhyno posted:

There's a '16 FiST with 32K miles on it for $16K locally. I believe it's fully loaded too. There's a '13 with 60K on the clock for $12K as well.

They keep calling my name.

FWIW I got my '16 w/ Recaros for $19k new two weeks ago. Personally the extra few grand to get peace of mind that it wasn't ragged on for 30k miles would be worth it to me. I absolutely love the car so far.

One nice development is my wife who always got carsick on windy roads in the Scion doesn't even get an upset tummy in the Fiesta, and has actively spent time on google maps to plan out routes with curvy roads so we can take road trips on the past two weekends.

Already have plans to get a tune. Still trying to decide if going with Mountune for the retained warranty is worth the extra $500+ vs just going with Cobb and crossing my fingers.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 5, 2017

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah from what I've been reading a downpipe isn't really necessary at those power levels.

I am a little surprised at how many people think they can get away without an upgraded IC though. It seems to be the most common downfall for these cars as far as stock parts go. Glad I'm not in AZ anymore but I'll still be getting a new one come summer.

Also gently caress all this rain in Seattle. Magnetic looks great clean but it gets dirty mad fast. Was impossible to find a white one spec'd the way I wanted it. I had dreams of replicating my first sporty car look (white w/ white wheels and Recaros) but it was not meant to be.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 5, 2017

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
In my experience white/lighter colors just tends to look less awful when slightly dirty compared to black/darker colored cars where a couple streaks of road grime stick out like a sore thumb.

White wheels on the other hand are a colossal bitch to keep looking good but are worth every second.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Sorry for your terrible taste.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm sure it's been said a bunch in this thread, but the Fiesta ST is a stupid good car. I honestly went in to buy it lamenting the fact that I wasn't going to get a GTI, and now after 1k miles I can't imagine anything else. The cabin experience in the GTI murders the Fiesta, but all the poo poo that really matters shines in the the ST.

It's a blast taking an offramp at something resembling a stupid pace and have your wife continue on bitching about her workday instead of frantically reaching for the ohshit handle like she did in the GTI when I tried the same thing. Good car. 10/10.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Everything I've read so far about Stratified has put them to the top of my list when it comes time for a tune. Seems the biggest complaint is the time it can take for a revision.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

PaintVagrant posted:

Upgrading my 2016 FiST to Sync3 v2.2 (apple car play/android whatever its called) Wish me luck lads!

Let me know how this goes. Did you have to install the USB hub for CarPlay to work?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

PaintVagrant posted:

Works! Had to swap in a 60 dollar USB hub and install two separate auto installer packages using a fat32 flash drive.

I think this only works on sync3, so 2016 and up. 2017s come from the factory with it, I think.

How did the hub install go? It's tight in there and it looks like a bitch to get something in and out of there.

And since we're on the topic of stolen cars. Here's what I found parked in my neighbors spot in our garage on like day 3 after buying the Fiesta.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 19, 2017

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Tryke posted:

I test drove the GTI yesterday and a Focus ST today. I like the GTI more, but god drat Ford must be aching to move some cars. With manufacturer incentives they quoted me an ST at $18,544 before tax/fees ($21,067 out-the-door in MD).

I like the GTI more, but do I like it $6,000 more?

I went through the same poo poo and ended up with a Fiesta because the Ford incentives are so good. The GTI is a lovely car but 1500 miles later I have no regrets and the extra money in my pocket certainly helps.

I asked the thread earlier and a lot of people wished they had gone the GTI in the end as it's certainly a nicer place to be every day and the resale isn't as poo poo, but this was a long term fun car/daily driver purchase for me so that wasn't a huge concern.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Soooo someone hit the Fiesta on Friday. Birthday weekend ruined.

She came from the suicide lane across two lanes of traffic to get into a McDonalds, I slammed the brakes and tried to swerve to avoid her. She popped the front end of my car and left side is all scratched up/pushed in from the front door to the rear bumper, all 4 wheels are beat up from her car/the curb. This is why I can't have nice things.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Bags didn't pop, have an adjuster coming to look at it today before I get it towed to the shop. When I went to pull it on the flatbed the steering wheel was at 90 degrees going straight and was jerking around so I'm guessing something in the front end got jacked up too.

This is the first real accident I've ever been in and dealing with the insurance companies is a poo poo show, ugh.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I was getting bent over by Safeco and just recently switched insurers. Saving me $150/mo for same coverage. Hopefully they come through if her insurance doesn't.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
This is a shot in the dark, but anyone know any good collision repair shops in the West Seattle/Seattle Area? The Service King nearest to me can't get me in for nearly a month and won't accept it if it needs to be towed in. The other parties insurance accepted liability which is nice, but now it seems like it's going to take a month+ just to get my car on the road.

Alternatively should I just have it sent to the dealership, or so they usually not deal with collision poo poo?

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 23, 2017

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yup that looks slick, except you got those wheels in the wrong color. Should be white!

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
The MS3 is such a loving hoot to drive.

Also I got my Fiesta back last Friday. Accident happened on 5/12 car returned on 6/23 after much back and forth with the insurance. I went to a tiny mom and pop shop and they loving killed it. Damages were just shy of 8k. Anyone have any experience getting a diminished value check? Having nearly half the kbb value in damage has to warrant something.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
The Fiesta is a seriously dope car. I waffled between the Fiesta and a GTI for like 2 weeks and I regret nothing, depreciation and all.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Thank you for shutting these bench racing art institute for auto design program attending nerds with sweet new turbo action.

Can't wait to pick up a tune for mine. You did the stratified E30 right?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
It seems to be a weakness with the Fiesta in general from what I've read, which is disappointing to say the least. Rad/IC are pretty high on my list of things to do before I throw a bunch of money at mine.

How's the lag on your new turbo PV? I love how quick the stock one spools but sometimes I miss that late 80's kick in the pants at 3500 with my old 300ZX.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 20, 2017

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I actually wanted a SRT-4 for the longest time. They sounded mean and were pretty drat quick. I had a buddy in high school who spent mom and dads money to get one into the low 400 HP range and it was hilarious.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah I have to agree. The risers look horrible and I don't really understand the appeal.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I think he's taking about the car, Rhyno.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
My wife was hesitant on the Recaros but heated seats sold her. Now she loves them and always says it was worth it, if only because they make me so happy. Best wife.

My Z had Recaros and I ended up selling it because we moved across the country and we couldn't afford to ship it at the time. I still miss it but the Fiesta helps fill that void.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Rhyno posted:

I am a tiny person so they don't get in my way.

I wanted the sunroof until I drove one with it. I'm 5'9 and wearing a hat in it sucked and it's placed really far back. Also my wife is 6' and it cramped her space way too much.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I got a leftover 16 with like 5 miles on it for 19k. It took some haggling but there are deals to be had. I don't think anyone with half a brain is spending 25k on one right now.

However I think I mentioned my horror story about one dealership trying to get me for 27k before TTL which had me laughing out the door.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
If you don't think insurance companies won't use every shred of data to avoid paying money you're in for a surprise.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Agreed. At least a solid 75% of the reason I want a bigger turbo in the Fiesta is for that sweet laggy turbo nonsense. The linearity is great for everyday driving but still.

It’s the reason I hated selling my CBR, my SV650 was way more useable day to day but there’s something to be said for having the poo poo hit the fan all at once.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
No matter how much I love my Fiesta, if one of the local VW dealers had matched those VA prices I’d probably have a GTI right now if I’m honest.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I love that they called it the drift stick. No mincing of words there.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Or an XB. I’m not going to poo poo on your choice (out loud) but my wife’s XB has been a great car. It’s almost not aggressively unfun to drive with the 5spd, too. My insurance calls it a Sport Wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
My first car was a ‘94 Bonneville. Purple on the outside purple on the inside. I used to get so much poo poo for it. Thing was a tank and surprisingly fast.

And then my first bike was a 92 CBR that was pink and purple. I also got a ton of poo poo for that. I was pretty broke at the time and was wearing a teal sweatshirt and a plaid Jansport backpack from goodwill when some kids in an RX8 pulled up next to me at the light and motioned for me to raise my visor. When I did the driver yelled “Nice bike...human being!” Felt good when I smoked him on the onramp.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 15, 2018