Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
Regarding the Chevy Sonic LT Turbo mentioned earlier . . . .

I own a 2012 Sonic Turbo. I bought mine just a few months after they came out and I've been driving it for about 18 months now, mostly on my 30-mile commute to work from Annapolis to DC. Here are my impressions:

Pros: Inexpensive (I got mine for 18.5k), fun to drive, very maneuverable, very practical, great gas mileage (37.5 mpg), cheap to maintain, much easier to drive manual than my last car (2004 WRX), kids love it.

Cons: Not that fast, especially coming from my last car. Dash can be a turnoff for some people. Chevy customer service can be somewhat lacking. Adults don't take it seriously.

Feel free to ask specific questions. The main reason I bought it is the experience I had with my last car. I always wanted to go crazy with the WRX, but because it was my daily driver I never had the nerve to modify it or take it to the track. It was also a money pit. So I traded it in for a commuter car and I used some spare cash to buy a 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero to fool around in. The Sonic is just fun enough to keep me entertained on my daily commute and I always have the Saab to look forward to on the weekends when I want to thrash it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

SalTheBard posted:

About buying a hatch

You might also want to consider a 2012 Chevy Sonic, although finding one with the 1.4L turbo at that price will be impossible.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

I may be getting a bump in salary soon, which means I may soon be in a position to make a vanity purchase to upgrade from my 2012 Sonic. What's the board's opinion of a loaded Kia Forte5 SX? Every online review seems to say it's a great value: Lots of equipment, good power, iffy steering. I'd be using it for a daily commuter (20 minutes each way), and kid transport (ages 6 and 10).

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

I own a 2012 Turbo Sonic and calling it a "turbo hatch" conjures up images of speed that don't exist with that car. The turbo 1.4 doesn't develop any more power than the 1.8 NA, although it does make more torque. So it's no pocket rocket. It is extremely economical, however. Four years of ownership and I haven't had to replace anything critical besides a valve cover and that was under warranty. I get about 34 mpg in mixed driving. There is a weird rattle under the passenger seat sometimes and the cabin fan makes a squeaky noise but other than that, fit and finish is decent. It's way better than any compact Chevy has any right to be.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

I just discovered there is a 2014 Focus ST with only 5100 miles for sale at a dealer nearby. That sounds too good to be true. I'm going later this week to check it out. What could possibly be the catch here?

Edit: Forgot to mention they're asking $19,500 for it.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

Night Danger Moose posted:

101 pages in, I finally get to vote in the poll.

I don't have enough words for how excited I am to have this thing.

'Sup fellow Annapolis goon! I just bought a 2014 FoST from Bayside Nissan on Riva Road. Huge upgrade from my Sonic. I'll wave if I see you.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

Night Danger Moose posted:

Noice! What colour, so I can wave? I see a red one running around West Street a lot, and a yellow one parked with a bunch of Shelby decals.

I still have problems starting on an incline but I'm slowly getting more confident. Only stalled her once yesterday. The Recaros are a weird adjustment to make but I think I like them.

Silver. (I know, I know, worst color).

For starting on a hill, I just hold the parking brake and let it out as I start to roll forward. I got the cloth seats. Tacky but easier to sit in.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

My FoST lost power and made weird whistling noises under acceleration. A quick look at the engine bay revealed the culprit: intercooler hose popped off. Apparently this isn't an uncommon problem? Only took half an hour at the dealer and no charge to get it fixed so no harm no foul, but it does make me concerned about the next thing that's going to fall off.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

I got a ticket in my old WRX for, of all things, "following too closely". I guess it would have been speeding if grandma wasn't driving so drat slow in the left lane. So far, however, the FoST experience has been ticket-free for over a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

I felt the same way until I got my Focus. Being able to leave your keys in your pocket as you open the door and start the car is a huge convenience. You'll miss it as soon as you sit in another car.

Edit: I would have posted that sooner but I was fumbling for my keys. . . . .