Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

1791apparel posted:

I picked up a new 2013 that listed for the same price, has Sony system and moonroof, for $22K. Tell him to squeeze a bit more off.
I didn't realize they were going for that far under MSRP. Maybe I will end up buying instead of leasing once I get the new job and moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Stew Man Chew posted:

Blue is best because Tribalism. Blue ST Krew :getin:
I'm debating getting a FoST and if so it will be blue. The lack of any other decent color makes me mad.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I did a dumb today, I went and test drove a FoST.
Now I want one even more.
:-(

Been looking at every focus I see for a month to see if it's an ST, none were. Drive off and almost immediately saw one. In the blue I want.

The salesman that I took the escape test drive with in January was there and recognized me by name even. Was impressed.

Minor gripes on the car. Limited visibility, clutch is...strange, compared to my mustang. Very binary, clutch engaged or clutch not engaged. But tons of power when you plant it. Put a smile on my face, which is damned hard to do. I'm 250 and while the recaros were tight, they weren't too bad. That was my biggest worry going in.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 23, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I had the chance to beat on both a FoST and a FiST and yeah, the clutch is such a departure from my Mustang that it really threw me for a loop. Once I realized that the travel was about a third of what I'm used to, I just figured out that I could use it like a button and really enjoyed myself. I'm sure I'll pick up an ST2 Focus eventually.
I'm not perfectly smooth on my mustang (as its not something that bothers me), but on the mustang theres a pretty wide range between "on" and "off". The FoST was much shorter, but it didn't seem to have much in the way of variability to it. Again, very binary.
Or maybe I'm still just bad at clutches. :shrug:

I'm sure I'll get used to the visibility. Just gonna take a while.
Now I just need to initiate plan new-job / moving / new-car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Pulling Teeth posted:

I read somewhere that Renault doesn't sell in the US, is that the case?
We like our mechanics, but not enough to buy Renaults.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Image is dark but I can still make out the ST badge.
Good job.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

The 2015 Focus ST will have a flat-bottom steering wheel, new rear and front fascia (slightly), cleaned up interior, improved steering and suspension, same powerplant:

http://jalopnik.com/2015-ford-focus-st-this-is-it-1596682576

Looks like they went with the electronic parking brake too. Sort of jealous of the interior, that cubbyhole in front of the shifter would be a huge asset in my '13. Wonder if I can switch out my steering wheel?
Looks good, but it probably won't be in production yet when I order mine. :(

Side note, I loving hate jalopnik's (actually that whole network of sites) layout. Clicking on a picture should enlarge the picture (preferably to something bigger than "slightly more than thumbail" too) not pop open a damned comment window.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

Went with x4 michelin pilot super sports for my replacements on the FoST. They're...nice? haven't had time to really try them out but the ride is quieter and seems like a slight bit softer. But they are brand new so I don't know that'll change. I've already put about 400 miles on them since I got them on Thursday....during the hurricane to pick up someone from a diverted flight. They handle water well!
Good choice. Everything I've read about the PSSs has been super positive. Probably overkill for a FoST, but great tires.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bajaha posted:

Gotta love hatchback utility.
Speaking of which, your picture reminds me of focus forum thread to show off how much stuff they could fit in their hatches. But I don't remember which forum it was on and googling isn't finding me the thread. :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Which is the same thing. Hill assist exists to stop the car from moving until you press the throttle. Its there to stop the car from rolling into the car behind you while you move your foot from the brake to the throttle. If its doing anything else its broken.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is why I hate the dealership process so much, but it's also a good reason why to give as little info as possible to the salesperson.
My salesman recognizes me by name.
I missed out on seeing the new Mustang at his dealership a week ago because I never gave him a phone number to call me when one came in for training. I'm ok with that. He doesn't know its my middle name.

whitey delenda est posted:

I dig this guy's format.
And I turned it off. That was horrible.
Different strokes, etc.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 11, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So out of curiosity and theorycrafting, how much money would it take to get a FoST to a reliable and driveable 435 HP?
And if you could, would you? FWD and no LSD make that sound like a really really bad idea.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Atmus posted:

You know how sometimes you see a sign "No services next 70 miles"?

There isn't always a sign.
Story time?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Less grip may be more fun to sling it around, but it's mechanically inferior.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Atmus posted:

I enjoyed driving the FiST around a race track more than I did a FoST, but I hated getting in and out of it (and it wasn't the roll bar's fault) and I wouldn't want one for a daily driver.

If I won the lotto I would totally get one for track use though.
If I won the lotto I'd be looking at dedicated track cars, not a fiesta.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Forgot to mention that I did test a focus st also and while it was alright, I preferred the fiesta. I haven't really thought about it since the test drive which I think speaks volumes, since the fiesta has been on my mind since.
Different strokes.
I test drove a FoST and loved it (albeit its still a FWD hot hatch and not a Mustang GT). Sat in a FiST and the ergonomics sucked in addition to less space.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Very nice. 'Grats.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

Had one wheel straightened only to discover the other on the same side is bent as well. Beautiful. At least it's holding air. I've put about $1500 into maintenance on the tires/wheels of this car alone. Its getting old.
You could try not running over giant potholes and/or curbs

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Why does VAG refuse to go bigger than 2.0 on their 4 bangers. It's getting somewhat out of hand that the new R has almost 300hp with a 2.0. The giant turbo and headwork/internals seem like they would cost more than just bumping displacement a bit.
Guessing a lot of it has to do with displacement taxes overseas.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

that sure is an expensive Ford Focus. I think my ZX3 was about $11,500 new in 2007, after discounts
Also one of my complaints. At some point you can't convince people to spend more on a Focus that starts at like $15k regardless of how much of a difference you get in engine/brakes/AWD/etc...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

smooth jazz posted:

- this thing will cost Mustang GT money ( yes i know, it's an entirely different kind of driving, altogether ).
Despite being $12k more expensive and totally different kinds of cars I know I'm not the only one cross shopping a GT and a FoST. I care less about the back seat than I do about the real trunk and the $12k difference. On the other hand, sit in both and its obvious where the money goes to. Real LSD, RWD, hell of a lot nicer interior, real brakes, that V8...
It would be nice if could somehow come up with a best of both worlds vehicle (and no, the FoRS is not best of both worlds). The FoRS is a faster focus, not a more utilitarian mustang.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fknlo posted:

This is one thing I'm not a fan of. I don't want some high school dropout loving around in my car for its first couple hundred miles. When I was trying to get an FRS the dealer wanted to do this and I said I'd be fine with it if I picked up the car. They said that wouldn't work so I didn't do it. Ended up changing my mind on what I wanted anyway.
Agreed on that. If I'm ordering a specific car, I want a literally brand new car. I don't think a couple miles of test drives are going to hurt anything, but if it does I want to know its my fault not some dip poo poo test driver's fault. I'll have already mentally prepared for the wait before I order anyway.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tijag posted:

Yeah, it will come down to that for me as well. The hatch is so functional.

But the Mustang is just amazing. V8, RWD, manual transmission, really nice interior on the Premium trim. I am seriously considering it. The performance pack has some fantastic wheels, summer tires, and a LSD.

About 15 years ago I was in love with the M5 which had a very similar power output to this mustang. When I started thinking about it I started to fall in love with all that power and that configuration for roughly half the cost of what an M5 from 15 years ago cost. Adjusting for inflation its an even better value. GT Mustang is crazy crazy car for the money.
ALL mustangs have an LSD. The GT PP only switches to a torsen LSD (and 3.73s) vs the standard clutch type LSD (3.31 or 3.55). The gear differences are only a little beyond making up for tire height differences.

They need a hatch version of the stang (with a different name), it'd sell.

edit: All Mustangs have LSD applies on S550 (2015+), dunno about previous gens.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 23, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tijag posted:

So, having said this, for a guy who will never ever track the car, should I just get the standard Premium package and not worry about the performance package?
If you aren't going to track the car, you 100% don't need the performance package. Take the $2.5k, bank half, use the other half on a set of pilot super sports.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tijag posted:

well the PP just has much wider wheels/tires. That seems like the best reason to get the PP. I understand that the Torsen LSD is mainly to keep pace with the tire size?

I'm feeling you though. It looks like you could probably get the GT Premium for like $34.5k if you're willing to wait for someone who will deal with you. I'm just amazed by how nice it was for that kind of money.
X-plan on a GT premium without any other options is 35.4k.
Thats full heated/cooled leather, a super nice interior, a damned good looking exterior, keyless, mycolor gauges, a decent infotainment system with 9 speakers, 430HP, 3.31 limited slip dif...
The only option I'm waffling on is the premier trim for soft touch door panels, better seating leather, and leather trimmed dash for like $350.

The base GT has 235/55ZR18 all-seasons, replacement PSSs in that size are $177.
The PP has chassis tuning (shocks/struts/front bracing), improved cooling, the torsen/3.73 rear dif, the monster front brakes, and the P-zerp 255/40ZR19 (PSS- $276) // 275/40ZR19 (PSS- $304) wheels/tires.

if you are going to track it a lot, its a no brainer; well worth the money. But if you aren't, the brakes are more expensive, the tires (19 vs 18) are super expensive and have lower treadwear ratings, and its $2.5k that can be better spent elsewhere.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tijag posted:

Sounds very reasonable. Where can I find information to understand the differences in the differentials? I don't really know what torsen 3.73 vs 3.31 LSD standard means.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiSTzK-A2A

The numbers are the gear ratio. Higher number means more torque multiplication, but slower speeds at the same engine speed / transmission gear. Lower number means less effective power, but you can use a lower gear at higher speeds (and better mileage).

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 24, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

Mustangchat in the hot hatch thread. :frogout:
Somehow I'm cross shopping said Mustang GT Premium vs a FoST.
:iiam:
Very different performance cars, but both performance cars.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

$37.8k is way too high.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Attended a cars and coffee event today.
There were like 20 FxSTs there. Including a 2015 FoST. Its not as ugly as people have been saying, but still ugly...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Am I bad if I'd kind of like to see a C-Max ST or RS?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I want the performance hybrid hatchback aspect. :)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

US/north-american spec Focus RS is official.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/25/ford-focus-rs-new-york/

It pretty much looks like what we saw a month ago. But its official so it must be worth a post on every possible car blog.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Calidus posted:

Have you driving a BRZ after its been warmed up for 20 minutes? It is amazing after all the fluids warmed up before the it get warmed up it is pretty bad. Both the BRZ and S2000 have an Aisin transmission.

edit: I am homer :)
BRZ I test drove was pretty nice.
Totally loving gutless under 6k, but pretty nice once you reach that power band.

Id still rather have a Mustang V6. But thats just me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SFH1989 posted:

The FiST really is good. I've driven a couple now and it's a fun little go-cart. Plus I've been driving a Fiesta for almost three years and the size is rarely an issue. The only issue I have with the FiST is not offering the auto dimming rear view mirror or backup camera from the Titanium. I know it's to keep cost down but they could at least offer them. Non issues though, I could at least buy the mirror an put it in myself.

I want to try the Mustangs to satisfy my inner teenager. When I was in middle/high school I wanted a fox body 5.0 badly.
I've never understood dimming mirrors. I never flip my mirror to dark. Glare is annoying, but with it dimmed you lose all depth perception since you can't see anything but random lights behind you. I suppose if you simple want a binary traffic-behind/no-traffic-behind you thing...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

AnimalChin posted:

I just brought this home:

2015 GTI Autobahn, Performance Package, Lighting Package, DCC Package, Driver Assist Package (this is loaded).

And the most important bit:

Not just loaded, literally maxed out.
Nice car, though. 'Grats. Enjoy all 220 (230?) HP.

How does a turbo 2.0L only have 220 hp? Or am I just spoiled by always looking at Ford's FoST numbers?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Upgrading the whhels also gets you pilot sport cup 2 tires,.
Sport cup 2 as OEM on a mass production street car.
Holy poo poo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My local dealer (literally across the street from work, I visit on lunches basically weekly) has had 3 FiST in stock for a month, but 0 FoST in the same timeframe. Its annoying, I want to test drive a FoST again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KakerMix posted:

My local Ford dealer has bro trucks out front, pre-bro'd and waiting for you to finance them!
The dealer I mentioned above also keeps several Mustangs around with swapped and/or powder coated wheels on them. $250 credit for the stockers and $4-6k for the upgrades.
Its rather hilarious.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

When I was test driving, the dealer I went to had 6 or 7 FiST in stock, and 6 FoST. Was nice to be able to look at every trim level of both cars all in the same spot at the same time.
Its the highest volume dealer in CA, so not like they aren't moving cars. They just sell every FoST the moment it comes in. They had a couple '14 strippers until Jan, then they got sold.
Local Cars and Coffee event had a row of about 20 mixed FoST/FiSTs.

Soylentbits posted:

Any opinions here on the Honda Fit?
Uhhhh LOL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

TKIY posted:

After a week of driving entry-level luxury sport sedans I've come back down to earth and decided the FoST does everything I want at a much more reasonable price so I'm going to order one on Monday. Having said that, I will really, really miss the interior, engine note and 14 speaker Stereo in that Genesis Sedan. That thing was amazing.

So I'm factory ordering and looking at colour options and I find myself weirdly drawn to the ST striping. Too boy racer for a soon-to-be 40 year old man? I'm considering White w/ Red striping or Magnetic w/ Black striping.
Mag/black sounds discrete enough not to be laughable in your 40s.