Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Eleeleth posted:

Hi friends, I bought my first new (like, actually new, not just new to me) car yesterday, can I play?

I'm so happy about the car and so not-happy about being stuck at work not driving it.

Just joined the FoST club myself as well! Brand new, Magnetic ST3 with the Moonroof. Was having quite a hard time finding a ST3 without the upgraded wheels that you have(not a fan of them) but I finally found one an hour about an hour away and drove up there yesterday and drove it home. First new car to me as well, seeing 11miles on a car as I got in to drive it home felt really weird.

Heres a few images of it on the lot, haven't taken any of it at home yet.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Eleeleth posted:

Ha, I actually didn't like them either, but after seeing them in person and all the STs around here having them they've grown on me. I figured worst case scenario I have some pretty winter tire wheels, but I think I'll keep em for a bit.

Agree 100%. Looking at them online I was a hard no, once I saw a few on the dealership lots in various colors they grew on me a bit to where I almost said "gently caress it" and bought one that had them so I could stop driving around/looking all over the state. They look a ton better in person than in pictures.

The Locator posted:

Very nice. I specifically avoided getting an ST3 as I didn't want to pay for Nav, and I didn't want a sunroof which most of them seemed to have. Mine is an ST2 and I'm perfectly happy with it. I do love that color though. It was my first choice but none were available anywhere in the state at the time, so I got a Silver one.

Was also in the same boat as you kind of, but all of the ST2's that I was finding also had the Nav and the wheels so they were literally the same price. Had my mind set up that if I found a ST2 without Nav/Wheels in Magnetic, I was going to get it(moonroof or not). Ended up finding a ST3 without the wheels and since the Nav is baked into the package price it was more or less the same price as the fully optioned ST2's that I was checking out. The ambient lighting thing is the more fun than I thought it would be.

Is the silver even offered on 2016 ST's or is yours a previous year? I didn't see a single one in the standard silver.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 23, 2016

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Looking for some suggestions regarding tire sizing for winter tires on a FoST if anyone can help shed some light. I'm going to pick up a set of wheels/tires for winter driving since I plan on keeping my new FoST for some years and it will likely see quite a bit of snow/ice/wintery stuff as a daily driver so it seems like a good investment. From what I'm reading online conventional wisdom seems to say go a size or two smaller on the wheel and a size or two higher on the tire aspect ratio so you have thinner/taller tires for getting through the snow. The likely candidate would be a 17inch wheel with 50-60aspect tires it seems. Again, this is just what I've read online so feel free to correct me.

My dilemma is that I found a local fellow selling a set of stock 2013 FoST wheels for only $400w/ TPMS sensors and some busted old tires that I would just take off of course. They are 18inches though so I wouldn't be going any smaller on the wheel size, should I still go bigger on the tire aspect? I've been comparing a lot of prices on winter tires and the 18's tires seem to be quite a bit more expensive than 17's of course, but I've found a few gems that seem to break that norm. For instance, Blizzak WS80's in 225/60/18 are only $145/ea which is $15-30 cheaper than all of the other 18in sizes for that same tire. Similarly the Wintercontact Si also have one size that is outside the norm which is 235/55/18 at $131.45/ea, again $10-30 cheaper than all the other 18in sizes. Again, with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3, 225/60/18 is $30-50 less than all the other sizes at $134.45/ea. Ultra Grip Ice WRT in 235/55(or 60)/18 also are right at $140/ea. Would a 55/60 aspect tire be too much with an 18inch wheel?

I'm not set on any particular tire yet either if anyone has suggestions. I made a huge spreadsheet with all the popular winter tires in 17/18in sizes that should fit and those were just some of the standouts as far as price comparison goes. I'm not going to pass up on a better tire for the sake of saving $40($10/tire) but if its like $200, then I can probably do without the best possible winter tire since they likely wont see more than 2000miles/year.

Edit: This is with a completely stock car by the way. So no lowering/bigger brakes/wheel spacers/anything that should affect the fitment aside from the tire sizing. Those prices also aren't factoring in some of the rebates available on Tirerack, which could net me $17.50 less per tire for the Blizzaks and $15 less per tire on the Ultra Grip Ice WRT's.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 1, 2016

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Went and purchased a set of the stock 18" Focus ST snowflakes off a local guy today which I plan to mount some winter tires on. Ended up getting him down to $300 for the set, including the factory TPMS sensors, pretty pleased with that. I know I posted a huge sperglord post about winter tires earlier in the thread but I'm pretty much ignoring all of that now, plan is to get some Continental Wintercontact Si's in either 225/45/18 or 235/45/18 since they are getting a lot of great reviews online and are priced great.

Also installed my Garageline Hood Strut kit today as well. Only took about half an hour and now I no longer need to use the silly hood prop rod, best $62 I've spent in a while.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Now to clean the brake dust off the rims... again. I'm plasti-dipping these drat things a darker gray when I take them off for the winter...

Would plasti-dip be any better in regards to brake dust cleanup? Obviously if you go with a darker color you'll see it less, but how does that translate when it comes to cleaning it off?

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 10, 2016

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Maksimus54 posted:

How are FoST's interior compared to a GTI? Been looking at hot hatches and completely neglected Ford

I'd suggest going and checking one out on a dealer lot to get your own opinion of course, but in my opinion I like the FoST a lot more interior wise. Seats in my ST3 are infinitely better than the GTI I test drove, materials all over are pretty nice but so were the GTIs materials in general. The infotainment system in the FoST is also much nicer in my opinion, but that might vary depending on how much you like technology and gizmos in your cars.

How it will hold up compared to the GTI has me slightly concerned though, lot of people on the forums complain about little squeaks and stuff popping up.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I must be in the minority here because I test drove the GTI and the FoST back to back and the materials/build quality seemed practically identical. Nothing to write home about in either one but they both just seemed 'fine' to me.

Do some of the higher specced ones have a different interior by any chance?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
After ~600miles, finally gave my ST it's first wash today. Magnetic really is the best color.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/soI7j

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

fknlo posted:

That doesn't work well for them in this situation since I actually want to buy the car though. I told them I could be there Tuesday. There's absolutely no reason for them to go that route.

Yeah, that doesn't seem like what happened in your case. It seems like they just had some manufacturer incentives that run out at the end of October. Likely nothing they can do in regards to needing to have the sale finalized during that time period in order for you to qualify.

I'm sure they'll have very similar new incentives though, so you should be able to still score a similar/same deal.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

fknlo posted:

They finally sent me a quote

$1k more than last week. Still listed at $22k on their website of course. I'm also not sure about adding my sales tax for where I live into their price even if that's standard in Virginia. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can only pay when you register here.

It's pretty common everywhere, I thought at least, to include the sales tax in the purchase price of the vehicle. When you go to register the car you just bring your paperwork showing that the tax has already been paid and they shouldn't have any issues with that. It's a very common practice.

If you're still worried about it for some reason, just ask them to take the tax off and you'll pay it yourself when you register. Don't think there should be any problem with that idea either, unless you were planning on financing the car then you'd also be financing the 2k in taxes as well vs paying it as one big lump sum at the DMV when you register.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
One thing to note about the recaros, at least on my FoST is that they do break in, quite a bit. I'm a bigger guy, 6'2" and 280lbs and the recaros were super tight out of the box, now only 2 months later and about 1k miles they are much better. I'm imagining it will keep getting better as it goes.

I tried test driving the FoST and FiST without the recaros and those stock seats were just pure trash, so I really had no option outside of the recaros. Even happier now that they have broken in a bit.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
The new Type R looks kind of like a hatchback...kind of.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Do you guys actually think any of those RS's that are listed at $10k+ MSRP are selling anywhere near that? I always thought that was just a ploy to get people into the dealership "because OMG they have one of those RS/GT350R/Ford GT/etc" but they never actually plan on selling it. I'd seriously question them selling at that price but I guess it really depends on what part of the country you're in. I'm in the DMV area and there are numerous dealerships around here that have 1-2 RS's on the lot at MSRP or a $1-2k markup and they are having a hard time selling them for that. I've even seen a few posted on local FB pages that people purchased, drove for 1000-2000miles and returned to the dealership so they are sitting there with 1500miles at $40k.

Edit: And I can't really see them appreciating/holding their value well at all anytime in the near future, maybe on the long haul in impeccable condition. I'd guess you'll be seeing ones with 10-15k miles in a year or two for $30k or so.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 21, 2016

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
It's a relatively limited production vehicle that's also high in demand. Of course they are going to tax the people who MUST HAVE IT NOWWWWW.

Just don't be one of those people and you're good to go.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Aren't the crackles and pops just them dumping fuel into the cylinders after you let off the throttle? I really enjoy those noises on big engines, but for some reason they just sound cheap, like something is broken almost, on our small 4 cylinders.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Speaking of road trips and mileage, just took my first one in the FoST and ended up averaging 27.7mpg over about 350 miles. All 70-80mph but it was a lot of up and down mountains driving up from DC to Western PA and back.

Really beats the hell out of the 19-21mpg I've been averaging over the last three months with my daily commute.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Kind of a weird question, but how long should the battery in the key fob last? I started getting a "Replace Key Battery Soon" warning light on my dash this weekend. I got the car new in May '16 and it's got about 8800 miles on it.

I've only had two cars with battery remotes so my information is slightly limited but in my Infiniti I had to replace the batteries yearly and in my Honda fit the batteries have lasted like 6 years, don't think we've ever changed them. So my best guess would be that it varies a lot depending on the particular brand and functionality of the key. Half a year seems short to me still, though.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
If the stage 2 changes out the exhaust then you'd need some sort of sawzall or good metal saw. At least that's how it is on the FoST, the over axle portion needs to be cut off. Otherwise I'd imagine it can all be done with a simple set of tools and a few hours.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Also it might pay off to search around on the forums, on the Focus ST forums there are people selling seats all the time. Usually around $1k-1500, on the higher end if they have the back seats as well as the fronts.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Is there any easy way to turn those shift notifications off and perhaps add the ability to roll the windows down when you hold down the unlock button on the key fob? I've read a thread on the focus forums about it but you have to buy Bluetooth adapters and download special software and all kinds of other steps. Like would the dealership do it when I take my car in for the lift gate recall if I ask them nicely?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Anyone have any opinions/suggestions regarding plastic trim panel removal tools or are they all mostly the same thing? Preferably something from Amazon so I can have it here by the weekend.

Just got in my FRPP short shifter and installing it this weekend will involve removing quite a bit of the center console section/trim panels and I don't really want to scratch up everything prying with screwdrivers.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

whatspeakyou posted:

Are VMRs generally considered good quality wheels? I was considering getting some 710s for my GTI. Also does anyone have an idea of what would be considered a respectable price for window tint in NOVA?

Paid $350, maybe $300, I believe for my tint in NOVA but there seems to be a huge variance in pricing. Anywhere from like $200-450 from when I shopped around and I also went with the "higher quality" ceramic something or other tint.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Skyline Tint in Springfield and it was the Llumar CTX series ceramatrix blahblhablah. I thought it was 30% but according to their website its not made in 30%, so its probably 35%. $350 and I was in/out in 45minutes(did make an appointment though). The place is relatively hard to find down in a little warehouse/industrial district back in Springfield but I am very pleased with everything.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Last time I was in an accident, I just took my car to the absolute best body shop in my area. Lamborghinis, Porsche, Rolls Royce etc in the parking lot and my dinky little G35. Insurance said I get to choose wherever I wanted to take it and that seemed to be the best idea to me. The insurance of the person who hit me ended up paying about ~$6500 vs the $1900 that GEICO estimated at their own shop.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

Good luck. In other news, CTRs are going for 50k...

One near me has a $25k added market value, puts it right around $61k. Thats like an additional fully loaded normal civic on top of the price.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

really? imo it seems less busy than the gti

You're talking about the Type R right? It has like 6 spoilers and 20 fake air vents. How can the GTI even come close to being that over-styled?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
What parts about the Focus RS do people think are over styled out of curiosity? The front bumper is very clean and simple, even subtle. The rear spoiler is slight larger than the ST, but not by much. The wheels are very simple. Other than that it's practically identical to a base Focus hatchback, right? Is it because they put the RS logo in a few different places or something? To me it seems very understated, not sure how you can even compare it to the myriad of spoilers, plastic fins, fake grills, etc that you get with the Type R.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Trans Ferdinand posted:

"Subtle". Two giant expanses of black, with a giant "RS" badge and a giant black mustache going across the front.

It's still a spoiler. Refer to my "tarted-up econobox" comment from my previous post.

They have a million spokes, are painted black, and the calipers are ELECTRIC BLUE. That's not "simple".

Other than the twin drainpipe exhausts at the rear, the rear splitter, the stance, and the fact that certain models are ELECTRIC BLUE. Basically identical

It may be *more* understated. This is a relative term. Refer to my previous "tarted-up econobox" comment.

(it's worth mentioning that I find the Focus ST to be overwrought as well)

Sounds like you basically just dislike modern cars, which is perfectly okay, but nearly everything you mentioned here is blown WAY out of proportion. Have you not ever seen an RS in person? Yes I would consider the front bumper to be incredibly subtle, its not body color painted, it doesn't have some crazy pinstriping or something, it doesn't have tons of extra cutouts/scoops/splitters/etc. Especially when you see it on a black RS you can barely even tell its not a base focus hatchback. "Giant RS" badges which are....2inches by 2inches. "Million spoke wheels" which in reality look incredibly basic, don't have any weird shapes, aren't deep dish or crazy concave, etc. "Drainpipe exhausts" which are 2.75" in reality. "Painted calipers" which is incredibly basic and tons of cars come with these days. "It still has a spoiler" which again, incredibly basic on almost any model of car now-a-days and again, isn't overly larger or overly aggressive or anything out of the norm.

What is a good example of a car that you think is not over-styled for reference?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Trans Ferdinand posted:

And yes, the styling of modern cars is incredibly overwrought. But I find it hilarious that you see the Focus RS as "subtle" and the Type R as "too much".

Again its cool if you just don't like the Focus or really dislike the color blue for some reason. But I, much in the sameway, find it hilarious that you think these two cars are even remotely similarly styled/aggressive/ridiculous/etc. The focus driving down the road you wouldn't even look twice at, the Type R assaults your eyes with angles/colors/plastic bits/etc.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

...it *is* faster (in every conceivable metric) than the Golf R, is it not? That's why you're so defensive.

Isn't it nearly half a second slower 0-60 according to most of the reviews coming out so far? And presumably similarly slower in the 1/4 mile? We'll have to wait and see when all the reviews come out.
I think we all understand that its fast around the Nürburgring but unfortunately 99% of the people who buy one will never take it to that racetrack or if they do even get remotely close to the times posted since they are not a professional racecar driver, acceleration numbers are much more important in a real world fun/ownership sense.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 6, 2017

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I disagree. I find it interesting how similar the front ends of the cars are, actually. They both have two expanses of black in the middle, broken up by a black plastic "mustache" and badging. Weird trapazoidal styling around the foglights. Giant multispoke wheels with painted calipers.

So if it's that much slower in a straight line, how is it faster around the 'Ring? Tires?

So you're just failing to see the front splitter/sideskirts with the red pinstriping all across it? The extra cutouts on the sides of the foglights? The huge cutout right under the hood/over the headlights? The hood scoop? The huge spoiler(compared to the RS at least)? The widebody fenders? This isn't even taking into account the back of the vehicle where there is, as you would say, "drain pipe sized" exhausts + a third small exhaust in the center for some reason. Additional plastic fins above the hatch, another spoiler below the huge spoiler and more huge plastic cutouts on the bumper(which are blocked and thusly do not flow air) as well as a rear splitter. C'mon now. You're really downplaying one of the major aspects of the car, it is VERY extra. Extra on top of extra. That's part of what makes it so lovable, at least to me.

As far as why its faster around the Ring, maybe that has something to do with the corners?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Let's see, spend a few hundred dollars on a larger hard drive phone or waste a bunch of extra money on streaming services and data every month or buy a $20 USB thumb drive once that you leave in the car and forget even exists.

Seems pretty clear to me.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I see your point but streaming music doesn't use much data. I don't know of any data plans in the us that wouldn't have enough data to let you stream music over iTunes match or google music continuously 24 hours a day for a whole month.

The UI for exploring a USB drive in the fiesta is horrid. It works but it's clunky and messed up, especially with a big library. An iPod or a phone plugged in to the USB is much better because you can use the UI of the iPod or phone to navigate the music library.

The ford UI does some weird stuff like ordering songs alphabetically by title, no matter the tags or what. It's a real pain. It's also slow, the UI isn't consistent where they put the back button, etc...

Edit: perhaps I'm a bit used to an unlimited data plan. Turns out that streaming all month 24 hours a day would use 82gb assuming 320kbps streaming. It's about 120mb per hour.

I use Google Fi and pay $10/gig of data. For every bit of that data that I do not use, I get credited back on my bill so I try to keep my monthly data usage under 500mb which keeps my monthly bill under $30. Not that this is the cellphone thread or anything, but somewhat necessary to mention since the data + subscription costs of some of those services alone would cost me hundreds of extra dollars per year.

Have to admit I haven't had any of the issues you've had with using My Fort Touch + a USB device. Mine is fairly quick, not enough to ever notice an issue. Usually everything is just on shuffle which I enjoy most but if I want to hear something specific, search works very well so I'm never just sitting there scrolling through alphabetically like you mentioned. Granted the library is only like ~120GB, but that's plenty of storage for me to rotate music in/out of over time, I don't need my entire collection with me at all times.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Quite A Tool posted:

My wife was hesitant on the Recaros but heated seats sold her. Now she loves them and always says it was worth it, if only because they make me so happy. Best wife.

Same thing happened with me essentially. When I first got the car and showed up, she got in and frowned about how tight they were. Now she loves them, especially with the seat heater. My old G35 had seat heaters as well but no where near as effective as the FoST.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
For me it wasn't a case of it sounding or being "fake" in my FoST, more so just a case of it sounding lovely. Like if someone was yelling to you from across the room vs them yelling to you from across the room while holding a long plastic tube to their mouth.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
From what I've read online, simply removing the spring is a bad idea. For basically the exact reasons you mentioned about it sagging. Over time that's going to put a bunch more wear and tear on your master cylinder seals etc, some people say even the pedal will stop coming up period without you lifting it manually.

Of course your mileage may vary and maybe the improved driving feel is worth it for you. For me I tried removing the spring in my FoST and it felt a lot worse to me that way so I promptly ordered the steeda one and it's pretty nice, a bit more linear than the stock one.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Jfc, $20 for a spring and it doesn't even include the plastic perch.

Be careful installing this. If you break that perch it can be difficult to get a replacement.

Since you're just putting it on the existing plastic piece, couldn't you get something from ACE Hardware for like 25¢?

There's many other spring options out there that are way cheaper, of course. Any of them will probably do the job just fine. Most of the people I've seen go the ace hardware spring route end up swapping for the steeda one eventually.

I just ordered the steeda one because I was already placing an order for their jacking rails, there was a 20% Off storewide coupon and it's guaranteed to fit/work as well as being very well reviewed.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

did you get a sticker?

Of course, if I didn't get a sticker I would have refused the shipment. I applied it directly to my dick like expected.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
The stick out doesn't look too bad to me. Moreso just the fact that those styled wheels with those chunky tires and stock ride height make it look like you're running 14 inch baby wheels. If it was lowered about an inch would probably greatly help since you'd get rid of most of that fender/wheel gap.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Mr-Spain posted:

Is that the stock IC? I actually like those wheels.

Yeah, those wheels actually look great from this angle. That does look like the stock IC but I think the reason it appears aftermarket is because the PO modified the plastic bits that sit in front of it. Usually there's horizontal and vertical plastic pieces in front of the IC and the horizontal ones aren't there.

That's pretty common mod to do when upgrading the IC so the PO could have done that and just reverted it, people also do it to their stock cars though so it doesn't really mean much on its own.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

DogCop posted:

Thanks, I didn't even notice the missing grill in front of the IC. Good red flag to bring up to the dealer.

Here's a better shot of the wheels. Stock calipers come red, yeah?

The red calipers come with one of the wheel options I believe or a style package or something, I'm not entirely sure how it was sold but some have it and some don't. It's normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Kanish posted:

I know it's not the marketplace thread but I have a set of Blizzaks and steel wheels I used for one season before j had to trade in my Focus ST. Will pretty much give them up for dirt cheap if you're in the Maryland / Delaware / Philly area. The whole set will fit in the back of your ST with the seats down if you pick them up.

Hit you up in a PM, I'm interested.