Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a FiST in 6-8 months, and wanted to know 1.) if owners generally were happy with the car all things considered and 2.) If there are any known problems I need to look out for and be aware of.

Also what was your buying process like? Is there a waiting list I need to look into? The local Ford dealership doesn't even have any STs on their lot. I'll probably be using the USAA car buying service, if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dr.Caligari posted:

Plus that seat belt reminder 'ding' is the most annoying sound in the world. I always wear my belt, but just driving down the lane to the mailbox drives me nuts to hear that dinging

Toyotas are the worst about this by far, IMO.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BoostCreep posted:

Also his parents sacrificed a lamb to keep him safe a few days before. Guess that's what you get.

What. :stare:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

In my fantasy alternate world timeline Honda sold a hot Fit with a K engine in the US.

That'd probably have cut into Civic Si sales too much, though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I know it's fast as hell but lol at that dashboard. Huge speedo, little tach, equal sized clock.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Lame. American car buys suck.

Gas is cheap now therefore gas is going to be cheap forever.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

In my 2011 non speed 3 5 and 6 are so close it's almost pointless for it to be a six speed. Like if four were slightly longer then five was the ratio of six it'd drive the same. I end up skipping fifth a lot at moderate speeds anyway. Dumb.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I saw a Focus ST just rip rear end at autocross yesterday. Three wheelin' every corner like it was nothing. I am definitely impressed.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

KillHour posted:

How often are you impressed by people ripping rear end?

I mean I haven't met 14" in person yet

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Larrymer posted:

You'll have to want it pretty goddamn bad, though

Kastivich posted:

A one way flight from DC to RDU can be had for less than $100.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Worth a fly and drive. Can you get a Southwest or JetBlue for like 79 or 99?

e;fb

iwentdoodie posted:

The last car you should ever buy if you're hard up for cash is a German one, much less a decade old VW hot hatch.

Unless you want to have even less cash than you currently do.

What's going on around this well, guys?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My sister's 05 Beetle had one so maybe it's just a VW thing.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The CRZ is a fun platform let down by having no power and having to haul around heavy batteries.

We have one that is my wife's car and it's fun to throw around. It feels a lot slower than the 1st gen Fit I used to have despite having the same engine + an electric motor so that probably comes down to weight. A K swap and hybrid battery delete really would make it perfect.

For what it's worth though my wife drives exclusively in sport mode because otherwise it's too slow.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I think my wife's averaging around 38mpg in hers. I haven't looked at it lately. Not terrible but it's nowhere near the mileage more serious hybrids can get.

If you're just looking to max out your MPGs then what about a used Prius?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm probably dumb for not getting a model 3, but it's still pretty great.

You'd be extremely dumb to buy any Tesla IMO

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Powered rear hatches are the best goddamn thing and car journalists always bitch about how slow they are and yeah maybe some are particularly bad but like...

...you just hit the button before you get to the car. It makes loading groceries or whatever way easier. I've never used the foot sensor ones though.

Also your car rules. What do the side decals say? I can't make it out in any of the pics.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

FBS posted:

Backup cameras may not be necessary but they are extremely useful even in a tiny car.

Yeah, backup cameras actually rule if you use them right (i.e. don't use them as a replacement for your mirrors)

I think it's a piece of technology unfairly maligned by those who claim to want *~a pure driving experience~*

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That's the best part about backup cameras IMO. I always turn and look backwards and watch my mirrors when actually backing up, but once I get to the last foot or so the camera is invaluable to let me know exactly where my bumper is.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I've still been looking on autotrader and discovered the Hyundai Elanta GT "N Line" hatch.....Anyone know anything about these? It looks really sweet.

I'm assuming it's got the same drivetrain as the Veloster turbo, but there aren't many of them around with a manual, closest one is 180 miles away.

[e] apparently the autos are DCT! wow might have to drive one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7SciJbdH-4
Seems like a fun car.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I enjoy the saga of Rhyno trying to get FiSTed.

I regret not buying a FiST a couple of years ago. I think I'm too spoiled by driving cars with nicer and more modern interiors now though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Respect to Rogers because singing and drumming is hard as hell IMO.

Also waiting for the huge power toms with no bottom head to come back into fashion.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I drove a friend's 2014 John Cooper Works coupe and was really underwhelmed with the acceleration. It was an automatic though so maybe that's why. It was still really fun to toss around.

That's my hot hatch story thanks.

Edit: I mean it was certainly quicker than my Mazda6 but I expected to feel more thrust than I did. If you had told me it was 175 or 180 hp I'd believe it but it didn't feel like 208. Maybe my butt dyno is way off though.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 3, 2020

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Hopefully the Corolla GR makes that four. Mazda could make it five by adding a manual and LSD option to the Mazda 3 Turbo.

LSD + turbocharged version of the 7500rpm 2.0 from the ND2 Miata would be an awesome Mazdaspeed3. Never gonna happen. But would be cool.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

We decided to buy the Mini. $2600 and it just needs rear brakes and a couple of tires. We’ve had them before (actually have another one now) and they’re really easy to work on. Pictures incoming once it’s cleaned etc.

Where'd you find a 2600 dollar Mini, because if all it truly needs is brakes and tires I'd jump on one in a second. Everything I've seen around here is 5000+ for examples with a ton of miles on them.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

This thing:

It looks all digital but it’s actually just a portrait screen in between two physical gauges that are lit to mimic screens. I’m impressed.

I’m impressed you got your phone working with the older style stereo. As soon as I looked at retrofitting on my current one my eyes just glazed over. Automotive wiring is not the one.

this is super ugly and cheap looking imo but more power to yall that like it

it's me, the guy who actually liked the steering wheel column mounted tach in the "old" nu mini coopers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I have a real dumb complaint and it's about me. As I get older, the way I hosed up the muscles in my legs and hips make bucket seats suck and painful to sit in for long drives and it's led me to thinking I should eventually trade in the GTI for something, but that's just idle thought. Someone give me cyber legs or something.

You could think about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation but it would be worth it.