Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Dang I should have gotten a Rabbit like 6 months ago when I was looking at them, hardly any around now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FINALLY: the 2021 Mazda 3 hatch will have a turbo offering and standard AWD. 250hp / 320lb-ft tq. Auto transmission only though.

Will be watching this one closely as I have been interested in a 3 but wanted more power.

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2021-mazda3-turbo

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Yeah I'm ready for some sticker shock. I remember looking at some CX-5 Turbos last year for the wife and they were basically in another price segment.

GTIs have gone up a bit and Golf Rs are both hard to find and ridiculously high around here so options are good.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

I mean if you buy a plug in box tune warranty issues aren't much of an issue. Or you could get one of the APR tunes that come with their own power train warranty. Pricey though.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Mazda3 Turbo reviews are out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEyGgIDP2qw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIjcPp5ZWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkmCvwTYqAE

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

A tester will probably say your battery is "working as intended for the battery", but not "working as intended for VW".

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

My next GTI I really want to look into those adjustable exhausts where you push a button to actuate a valve to make it loud or quiet. Some newer Mustangs have this feature from the factory.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Bleh, got the JB4 on this afternoon and now it's stuck in limp mode, no boost, and EPC and check engine lights are stuck on.

From a tune box? What the hell? What car is this again? If a VW I hope you just popped a coil pack, that's a $20 DIY fix.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Yeah if it's like some Delphi connectors i've used, the connector has multiple little pieces that snap together and you can release the pins with a special thin tool. You can use a paper clip or some shim stock in a pinch but it's like picking a lock at that point unless you've done it a bunch of times. I would probably try a local specialty shop first.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

I want the Cornflower Blue but it's almost a bit too much racerboi extravagant....almost. Trying to get on a Rabbit in this color. Used Rabbit market seems to have dried up. :(

Second choice is the White Silver Metallic, but I want to see it in person. Ford has an offwhite F150 color that looks great in person, I think it's Space White.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Rusty posted:

My GTI says it came with a larger stabilizer bar, not sure if that's the same as a sway bar or if it is at all noticeable.

$860 seems very reasonable for everything in that package

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Yeah the new Mazda3 Turbo hatch is kind of disappointing from a sportiness standpoint. They are also scarce at least in my region so not sure I could even test drive one if I wanted.

Still looking for the right 2018+ Mk7 GTI to replace my 2014 Mk6.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Unless they are giving you some kind of package deal, I would get the DSG tune later if your not happy with the way the transmission is performing.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Deviant posted:

and one look at twitter

It makes sense now

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

LOL at trying to cancel Toyota over correlation.

In related news that Corolla or or Yaris GR hatchback or whatever won't happen in the US and if it does will be terribly boring. I mean they brought back the 86 and Supra and nobody is buying those.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

nobody’s trying to cancel anybody over anything, you dork. settle down

Google "toyota boycott", dork.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Hhhmm, JB4 tune coming for Mazda turbos:

https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-tuner-for-mazda?variant=37638730449070

Really want to test drive the hatchback, but really limited availability. What I do see though seems like good pricing for what you get.

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 7, 2021

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Warbird posted:

Man I wouldn't mind a Mk. 8 but holy poo poo that infotainment is absolutely awful. I'd hope for a mid generation refresh but that seems unlikely.

It's inexcusable, they saw what happened with Honda and still thought that was a good idea.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Anybody know production/import status on the new Mazda3 Turbo hatch?

I live between Atlanta and Charlotte, cargurus says there are only 23 within 500 miles. Only 6 within 200 miles.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I couldn't get past the cheap interior

my vote for next thread title

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Quite A Tool posted:

A buddy recently picked up a 2019 G70 with the 3.3T. It’s a very nice place to be and stock it was pretty quick. We did plugs, intake and a JB4 and it’s a riot. I haven’t driven a Stinger to compare but if I was looking to spend ~40ish the G70 would be on the list of considerations for sure.

I was looking at these awhile back. I wonder how well the 2.0L cars drive, which are significantly less. I didn't realize there was a mod market, I bet those are monsters. The 3.3T is in Golf R price ranges which is a pretty good deal for what you're getting. I don't like the way the front looks but those interiors are so nice and seem like they would make a really smooth daily. I may have to test drive one.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Yup, Integra will have a manual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDFE92gA3Ag

I hope the auto is good and not CVT or slow slush box. Really like that new Civic.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

I was interested in the Veloster N DCT until I realized the 3rd door is on the passenger side, and saw the interior. They are pretty cool though and I like the way they look. I don't get why the Veloster gets a fast dual clutch but a G70 with the Stinger 3.3T engine has a lovely slow transmission.

wolrah posted:

As somebody who loves loud cars in the right context but also hates being woken up early, valved exhausts are my favorite thing. The "quiet start" mode on modern Mustangs should be copied by everyone who makes one.

This, absolutely. If I replace my GTI with a new one a variable exhaust will be one of the first upgrades.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Wow they really went with the 1.5T in the Integra huh.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

I actually kinda like the RDX, and if the Integra was more like a small hatchback equivalent to that and less Civic "Sport" I would be more interested. Wonder what kind of automatic it will have.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

A dual clutch would be great, I'd settle for the ZF 8-speed they put in the Supra(and a lot of cars use). But this is Toyota and unless the car costs $50k+ it will probably have either no automatic or something slow from a Rav4. And don't forget a lackluster interior, somewhere between Honda and Mazda.

Or, it will be a really neat car not offered on this continent.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

S3 pricewise seems about the same as a Golf R, at least for me shopping for slightly used ones the past few months. I'd be interested to know how they compare, both from a fun/sporty standpoint and a luxury/comfort one.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Rusty posted:

The new yellow / green GTI color is pretty interesting as well.

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/r6wkr3

too bad they ruined the inside

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

the desperate "INTEGRA!" decal on the side lol

i hope they put a big red 1.5T badge on it

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Maybe a crossover is just a hatchback or wagon with more ground clearance?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

hhhmm

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Anybody driven the turbo Mazda3 hatch?

Still want to get in one, but as far as design that visibility looks bad. Like Camaro bad. That, the cheap suspension, vanilla transmission almost cancel out the AWG and turbo. But the price point is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Sucks the Golf R had like 45 different color options but I only see the same boring blue/gray/black/white, sometimes red.

https://www.karenradleyvw.com/blog/what-colors-does-the-2019-volkswagen-golf-r-come-in/